Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Legend Hot Topics - Rip Off Report Case Closed

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link

Legend Hot Topics posts have a tendency to spiral out of control quickly, and generally earn post counts into the hundreds. Will see where this one goes...

Looks like Legend has resolved the case with Paul Elwell. Link above.

Comments

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for her!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Link

Legend Hot Topics posts have a tendency to spiral out of control quickly, and generally earn post counts into the hundreds. Will see where this one goes...

Looks like Legend has resolved the case with Paul Elwell. Link above. >>

Glad to hear the good news.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should crow be roasted or boiled?
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news, glad to hear of a positive outcome.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will ROR remove the defamatory information or post the legal outcome of same?
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Great! Congratulations to Laura.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good outcome, but it's a shame the wheels of justice turn so slowly.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they were going for a judgment and not settling?

And the ripoff report is still there.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope he caught all the legal costs at least.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to Laura and Legend... great news.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great! Congratulations to Laura. >>

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great. The dude only had to apologize? There has to be more.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is great. The dude only had to apologize? There has to be more. >>

There is but this is all they will comment on. As long as she is happy as it was her that had to endure the guys crap.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Laura and Legend.

However, as mentioned the ROR report is still up. I wonder what it would take to have that removed now it's established that this is definitely false and defamatory.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I am glad legend won.

It is kind of ironic though, he got to say what he wanted to say, issued a lame apology and Laura can't comment. lol

Sounds like Paul played the big legal team to some degree, he represented himself and was able to keep the lawyers coming back to court with their meters running and even if he got hit with a judgement , he will not pay it. I am surprised the super legal team could not shut him down sooner.. Wonder what the judge awarded in legal fees verse actual billed amount?

The wheels of justice run slow and cost a lot to get a little bit done.

Reguardless I bet Paul will not do it again

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you won.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Good for Legend. And nobody does this stuff as a joke..they are trying to destroy a person's reputation, livelihood, turn friends and family against them,
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    image Laura

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats to Laura and Legend.

However, as mentioned the ROR report is still up. I wonder what it would take to have that removed now it's established that this is definitely false and defamatory. >>

Maybe a court order? Or maybe have Carlos and Pablo pay the site owner a visit and make him an offer he can't refuse!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not over until everything is removed from the ROR website.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. I hope she is satisfied and can put this behind.

What possible reason is there for someone to carelessly inflict damage on another person.

I like life's contributors, have no problem with those who are neutral or keep to themselves but those who do nothing but take and cause pain are.......I better stop.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is a big part of the settlement for the site to have to shut down?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Reading between the lines, Ewell paid Legend's attorneys' fees and costs.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am so glad to hear this. I do hope that the original listing and defamatory statements will be removed. If not, Laura should have a cause of action against the ROR.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Reading between the lines, Ewell paid Legend's attorneys' fees and costs. >>

Reading between the lines, the legend lawyers were the only legally mature ones in the room when the judge presses for a settlement

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Good to see someone with the cajones (and the bankroll) to punish one of these trolls.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Reading between the lines, Ewell paid Legend's attorneys' fees and costs. >>

Reading between the lines, the legend lawyers were the only legally mature ones in the room when the judge presses for a settlement >>

I agree the Legend lawyers were the most mature but reading between the lines it looks like Paul was leading the parade to some degree. I would wager he has not paid the lawyers in full and doubt they took the case on without a retainer paid. I would like to see the total amount billed by the attorneys as they had to spend a few hundred hours billable on this verse the amount of fees they were awarded if any. We will most likely never know.

I have no idea what paul owns or what kind of money he has but some people are basicly judgement proof. If they don't have anything that is what you get, plus certain things are exempt in some states.

I have A stack of worthless judgements that I would be thrilled to get 5 cents on the dollar for them. I vary rarely hire an attorney anymore for my court appearences as I have found that I do as well as the attorneys do and the judge always cuts me some slack on the legal bs.

All that said the guy was a 100 percent wrong in posting the BS about Laura/legend. In a different country he may have been stoned or lashed for his BS
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justice is served, however belatedly. Congrats, Laura.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Laura and Legend! I agree with others that the ROR should be wiped clean!
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure ROR policy states that they won't remove anything short of a court order.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    all that's missing is a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the deck of a carrier.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any coin news is good news,… I always say. Way to go sister.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>all that's missing is a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the deck of a carrier. >>

Agree and it should be displayed in all 57 states.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy was stupid to be sure and deserved what happened to him. That said- wasn't removal of the offending remarks the primary goal? As someone pointed out earlier, the report in question is still on the site- so outside of some vengeance (and perhaps costing the perp the dollar equivalent of what would no doubt be a mediocre coin in Legend's inventory), what exactly was accomplished?

(Please don't say something lame like "vindication", because we all know that no one who counts believed the statements in the original report to begin with.)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    So glad that she won the fight to protect her reputation.
    Sorry that she had to go through the effort and expense.

Who is this guy anyway?
  • Options
    Bumping this thread to provide an update;

I learned today that Paul Elwell is now deceased. He passed away June 5th. I have a suspicion that it wasn't an accident or illness....
  • Options

<< <i>Bumping this thread to provide an update;

I learned today that Paul Elwell is now deceased. He passed away June 5th. I have a suspicion that it wasn't an accident or illness.... >>

Here's Paul's obituary. He is survived by his wife and 4 children. My condolences to his family.

<< <i>ELWELL, Paul A,
    Mattawan

Paul was taken to his heavenly home by Jesus, Friday, June 5, 2015 at the age of 33. He was born September 29, 1981 to David and Linda (Mejeur) Elwell. He was united in marriage to Heather Donley on June 14, 2003. Paul authored 3 books. He enjoyed hunting, running, mountain climbing and playing guitar. Paul is survived by his wife, Heather Elwell; his children, Caleb, Zachariah, Rebecca and Elizabeth Elwell; and sister, Emily (Ivan) Birochak. The immediate family will greet friends and relatives, Wednesday, June 10, 2015 from 2-4 and 6-8pm at the Langeland Family Funeral Homes, Westside Chapel, 3926 S. 9th Street. The celebration of his life will take place Thursday, June 11, 2015, 11:00 in the Calvary Bible Church Sanctuary, 855 S. Drake Rd., Kalamazoo. A private service for family will be at Mt. Ever-Rest Cemetery South Park. Memorials may be directed to CampTurningPoint.com. >>

• Options

I learned today that Paul Elwell is now deceased. He passed away June 5th. I have a suspicion that it wasn't an accident or illness.... >>

I certainly don't think Laura did it. image

What made you decide to bump up this thread with news of the complainant's demise?
  • Options
    And to be clear, I wasn't making fun of his death or being disrespectful. It just struck me as something odd to post to the thread when it wasn't about Legend/Laura's litigation. My condolences go to his family.
  • Options

<< <i>

I certainly don't think Laura did it. image

What made you decide to bump up this thread with news of the complainant's demise? >>

I didn't mean to imply foul play. I had dealings with him myself and closely followed the docket of the lawsuit. I found the news interesting, and perhaps others might too.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    A shame as 33 is far too young to die.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's shocking.
  • Options
    I hope Laura didn't do it! That would be a true shame. Does anyone know if Legend Numismatics makes offers on coins?? I've been thinking about selling off some of my proof sets lately...mostly 80's and 90's U.S. but truly JAW DROPPING coins. I mean these coins are NICE. I would love to see if Legend would be interested in them as I have heard from many acquaintances that Laura is a pleasure to do business with. Anyways +1...Cheers, RonO
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know if Legend Numismatics makes offers on coins?? I've been thinking about selling off some of my proof sets lately...mostly 80's and 90's U.S. but truly JAW DROPPING coins. I mean these coins are NICE. I would love to see if Legend would be interested in them as I have heard from many acquaintances that Laura is a pleasure to do business with. Anyways +1...Cheers, RonO >>

Legend does handle US proofs from the 1880s and 1890s so, if you have some, you should reach out to them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know if Legend Numismatics makes offers on coins?? I've been thinking about selling off some of my proof sets lately...mostly 80's and 90's U.S. but truly JAW DROPPING coins. I mean these coins are NICE. I would love to see if Legend would be interested in them as I have heard from many acquaintances that Laura is a pleasure to do business with. Anyways +1...Cheers, RonO >>

Legend does handle US proofs from the 1880s and 1890s so you have some, you should reach out ot them. >>

Oops should have been more specific. These sets are from the 1980's and 1990's. Although now that you mention it I do have an 1885 Indian cent. I wonder if they might want that? Again my grading skills are not the best but I would say it would probably grade Very Uncirculated to About Fine...maybe I'll send it to ANACS and then give Laura a ring...Cheers, RonO
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Legend does handle US proofs from the 1880s and 1890s so you have some, you should reach out ot them. >>

Oops should have been more specific. These sets are from the 1980's and 1990's. Although now that you mention it I do have an 1885 Indian cent. I wonder if they might want that? Again my grading skills are not the best but I would say it would probably grade Very Uncirculated to About Fine...maybe I'll send it to ANACS and then give Laura a ring...Cheers, RonO >>

Hi, RonO,
    In the event that you are not pulling our collective leg, I suggest that you look at the coins in the Legend inventory and after that minimal amount of research, if you think that your coin(s) is consistent with what Legend sells, I would certainly shoot Laura an email. Or, if that is too arduous, just don't bother. Either path will likely lead to the same outcome.

This Legend-Elwell story is very unfortunate, from start to finish.
  • Options
    In hindsight the wording of my bump could be interpreted in a way other than what I intended. I apologize.

May Paul RIP, and condolences to his family to his children.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally dont think its farfetched to think someone that is so mentally deranged to disparage Legend Numismatics later committed suicide after the whole fiasco became known.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file