Home U.S. Coin Forum

2015 High Relief Gold Coin/Silver Medal (UH8 & UH9)

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to say it's nice to have designer initials on the coins, vs. just initials from the sculptor / engravers. I've mentioned this as an issue in the past so it's nice to see it being addressed image

Congrats to:

- Justin Kunz: Mint Artistic Infusion Program artist
    - Phebe Hemphill: Mint Medallic Sculptor
    - Paul Cainto Balan: Mint Artistic Infusion Program artist
    - Donald Nelson Everhart II: Mint Sculptor-Engraver >>

The PH should not have been put on the US Flag though.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Furthermore, this new interpretation of Liberty lacks the forceful power and classical style of the St Gaudens UHR. It has all appropriate elements and symbolism, but the whole obverse has the appearance of a staged photoshoot. >>

I think one thing missing from this design regarding the photoshoot comment is the lack of a backdrop which exists on the St Gaudens DE and WLH.

Some other observations are that the word LIBERTY appears very, very large and it can be hard to distinguish the obverse from a commemorative, say an Olympics commemorative.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can nit-pick the design all we want but I think we can all agree that it's a refreshing change from the usual portraits of dead presidents.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>We can nit-pick the design all we want but I think we can all agree that it's a refreshing change from the usual portraits of dead presidents. >>

I'd compare it more to the other recent Ladies Liberty, for example the UHR, APEs and Olympics coins. Overall, it's nice design IMO, but Presidents aren't the only designs the Mint's been putting out recently.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage >>

For awhile, I have been thinking this design looked a little familiar... well finally figured out what I was remembering! This one from Canada from 2013. Maybe some inspiration for this new high relief came from north of the border?

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reverse is OK however I just don't like the obverse. Could have been SO much nicer. I'm in for one.

Curious, do u all think it will sell out? If so, how quickly?

I think yes and two days.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can nit-pick the design all we want but I think we can all agree that it's a refreshing change from the usual portraits of dead presidents.

I agree, it's not a bad design effort imo. If I'm not mistaken, there were a number of detractors when the 2009 UHR was being discussed as well.

The finished product might even look better in hand. I don't think that people who obtain this coin will be disappointed.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    I will pass. It will probably be popular like the reverse gold buffalo but it won't sell out at 50K. JMHO. I won't be buying only because of my of lack of funds. I may buy the silver version.
    It's interesting that this is the third time that the reverse has been considered for a coin, the first two being the US Marshals half eagle and as a new reverse for the ASE. As they say, the third time's a charm. It's a nice design and I'm glad it found a home.

Also, it's interesting that the CCAC was interested in having the denomination spelled out as "One Union - $100" instead of "One Hundred Dollars". I prefer the "One Hundred Dollars" as I think spelling out "One Union" would make it look too much like the Smithsonian fantasy coins. Of course, it could also be similar to some territorial gold which could make it more interesting.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>imageimage >>

For awhile, I have been thinking this design looked a little familiar... well finally figured out what I was remembering! This one from Canada from 2013. Maybe some inspiration for this new high relief came from north of the border?

image >>

Verrrrrry interesting!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    I don't see any indication of price but I'm guessing it'll be $1500 or a little more based on the price of the proof AGS's. This is assuming that the price of gold will be close to the current spot price at the end of the month.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint says no household limit on orders. That is a big mistake; at least initially, IMO.

This should be more popular than the $20 2009 since the $100 face value is a new statement for US gold coins. Also from what I see it will be the same diameter as a Franklin half (30.61mm or 1.205 inch), which is a real nice size, and the 2009 was a bit too small at 27mm, in my opinion.
  • RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint says no household limit on orders. That is a big mistake; at least initially, IMO.

This should be more popular than the $20 2009 since the $100 face value is a new statement for US gold coins. Also from what I see it will be the same diameter as a Franklin half (30.61mm or 1.205 inch), which is a real nice size, and the 2009 was a bit too small at 27mm, in my opinion. >>

I find it hard to believe there will be no household limit. APMEX and MCM alone could probably buy all of them. Pretty sure as the sell date approaches this will change.
  • Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    Anyone want to go in half for the entire mintage? PM if so.... we could corner the market. I am sure willing to try!
    Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You all got 15 minutes of fame; make it count!
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that canada one is cheesier than many modern us mint issues.

too many props... similar to comment made with 225th marshals service half dollar

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Mint says no household limit on orders. That is a big mistake; at least initially, IMO.

This should be more popular than the $20 2009 since the $100 face value is a new statement for US gold coins. Also from what I see it will be the same diameter as a Franklin half (30.61mm or 1.205 inch), which is a real nice size, and the 2009 was a bit too small at 27mm, in my opinion. >>

I find it hard to believe there will be no household limit. APMEX and MCM alone could probably buy all of them. Pretty sure as the sell date approaches this will change. >>

The limit has to change. Will be curious what it ends up at.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I find it hard to believe there will be no household limit. APMEX and MCM alone could probably buy all of them. Pretty sure as the sell date approaches this will change. >>

The limit has to change. Will be curious what it ends up at. >>

Don't bet on it. It should change for sure, but will the mint catch on?
    Unless the mint gives the major bullion dealerships a bulk purchase discount, I can't see them loading up on this coin considering the premium that the mint will be charging over the melt value.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>that canada one is cheesier than many modern us mint issues. >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least The Canadian girl has arms that are both the same size,,,,,,

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)

<< <i>Anyone want to go in half for the entire mintage? PM if so.... we could corner the market. I am sure willing to try! >>

Will the Mint take a post-dated four-party out-of-state check?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be the first to say I'll buy these graded on the secondary market for less than mint issue price 😈
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PRICING FOR HIGH RELIEF GOLD

Here is the pricing for the high relief.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>PRICING FOR HIGH RELIEF GOLD

Here is the pricing for the high relief. >>

Dang! That's quite a premium over melt.image

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Dang! That's quite a premium over melt.image >>

$50 premium over the 1ozt Buffalo 24k.

$390 to $440 over melt. On average $415 over melt. That is obscene gouging!

<< <i>Anyone want to go in half for the entire mintage? PM if so.... we could corner the market. I am sure willing to try! >>

If gold stays between $1150 and $1200, that's only $80M for the entire batch. Do it! It would be a fun circus to watch! image

<< <i>I'll be the first to say I'll buy these graded on the secondary market for less than mint issue price 😈 >>

Not a bad idea. Buy one of the MS-69 "rejects" for spot plus $199!

And no fancy box!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a bad idea. Buy one of the MS-69 "rejects" for spot plus $199! >>

Sounds like a plan!
    A little research says the 2009 UHR sold about 42K in the first week, at $1189, a $300 premium over melt. That was, however with a household limit of one.

The 2013 RP Buffalo sold 32K the first week, $1640 issue price. or about $310 over spot. Four week total was 48K. I'm sure the 50K for this coin was based on that, the same way they based 17K sufficient for the Truman C&C.

The 2014 gold Kennedy had opening day sales of 63K, but that was a CF and artificially hyped to start with.

I think it'll take at least a day to sell out this issue at $1590/coin. ($440 over spot.) If they don't sell out the 50K in the first few days, the product will probably linger.

I think if you get online on the 30th, you'll get one. Won't be 12 minutes like the Truman C&C, the entire Truman set is 4% of the price of a HR coin.

<< <i>A little research says the 2009 UHR sold about 42K in the first week, at $1189, a $300 premium over melt. That was, however with a household limit of one.

The 2013 RP Buffalo sold 32K the first week, $1640 issue price. or about $310 over spot. Four week total was 48K. I'm sure the 50K for this coin was based on that, the same way they based 17K sufficient for the Truman C&C.

The 2014 gold Kennedy had opening day sales of 63K, but that was a CF and artificially hyped to start with.

I think it'll take at least a day to sell out this issue at $1590/coin. ($440 over spot.) If they don't sell out the 50K in the first few days, the product will probably linger.

I think if you get online on the 30th, you'll get one. Won't be 12 minutes like the Truman C&C, the entire Truman set is 4% of the price of a HR coin. >>

Don't forget that the 2009 came out in the middle of a long, climbing spike in the gold market amidst heavy physical gold sales.
    And was a classic design
    People wanted a copy

This is a $75 coin, so those type collectors will have to be in.

This coin's diameter - 30.61mm

2009 UHR - 27mm

<< <i>And was a classic design
    People wanted a copy

This is a $75 coin, so those type collectors will have to be in.

This coin's diameter - 30.61mm

2009 UHR - 27mm >>

No, they changed the denomination to $100.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I'll wait for the same weight, same size, 2020 HR gold coin from the mint denominated @ $250.
    Ah, they did

Still, the only $100 gold mint issued coin.

Though, those wanting a $100 coin could go platinum.

<< <i>

<< <i>A little research says the 2009 UHR sold about 42K in the first week, at $1189, a $300 premium over melt. That was, however with a household limit of one.

I think if you get online on the 30th, you'll get one. Won't be 12 minutes like the Truman C&C, the entire Truman set is 4% of the price of a HR coin. >>

Don't forget that the 2009 came out in the middle of a long, climbing spike in the gold market amidst heavy physical gold sales. >>

There's another caveat with the 2009. Sales at the time were handled by PGCS (later Novitex), who quite frankly, sucked as a fulfillment company. Not only did their web site crash and burn regularly during opening day sales of anything, but trying to get sales number were neigh impossible. The numbers that some people were able to get from the mint (the 42K) may have been actually thousands less after cancellations were made due to people exceeding the household limit.

The anomaly with the 2013 RP Buffalo, was it was a $50 bargain the first week. Average London gold spot fell a couple dollars below the next threshold and the price of the RP Buff the first week was $50 below what people were expecting. It was $50 higher the last three weeks of sales. (While Novitex was still the fulfillment company, they had a counter on the web page so an accurate count was kept.)

I was just looking to see what the other special gold issues did the first week. The big variable that's going to change with this release, is PFSWeb has a ordering system that can keep up with demand. If we assume people averaged four Truman C&C sets per order, that's over 4250 orders in 13 minutes, or almost 20K orders per hour. No one is going to get discouraged and not buy.
    Coin World just announced that the Mint announced yesterday that the silver medal will not be struck.
    NGC announced slabbing details:

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4722&NGC-Special-Label-for-The-2015-W-American-Liberty-High-Relief-$100

Early Bird tier, so a level higher than Modern.

Nothing yet from PCGS.

<< <i>Coin World just announced that the Mint announced yesterday that the silver medal will not be struck. >>

Any reason stated? (Can't find anything about it.)
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin World just announced that the Mint announced yesterday that the silver medal will not be struck. >>

Since they are currently not selling silver eagles, must be a raw material problem.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

awwww

there could be slack in Sept or Oct for it.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

<< <i>HH LIMIT WILL BE 50 >>

The limit will be lowered again. Count on it.

<< <i>

Since they are currently not selling silver eagles, must be a raw material problem. >>

Well, they managed to secure 70K+ ASE blanks for the Prez C&C sets. I'm wonder if that was the reason, they couldn't source the Ag at the size they needed, or they just couldn't get a decent high-relief strike.
    Striking could be the problem, since silver is harder than gold.
    What does this mean? image
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What does this mean? image >>

Probably means MCM, HSN and a few other dealers have taken 48k of the 50k mintage already. image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    Household limit is only 50 coins.
    Wonder what it is for the big bullion dealers. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file