Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

March Pick-Up's - Let's See What You Got

On the Net54 boards they have a monthly thread where everybody posts the cards you picked up for the month. I thought we might try it over here. I think it is a good way to share your cards/packs/boxes or whatever sport related items you picked for the month. Now, I am cheating as I haven't gotten anything this month but I did get these the end of Feb.

Mark
Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Mark, nice to see you on! Long time no talk
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups Mark. Great o see you pick up more T206's for the collection. I think you should save up for that Hans fellow. image

I guess I need to buy something now so I can post it.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing. I've always enjoyed the picture on that Konetchy variation.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I thought it'd be fun to pick-up some sports car cards and try to get them slabbed. So I bought a handful of early Viper cards. Here's one that isn't here yet.

Not sure if there are some classic car cards (older cards 50s/60s/70s)...if there are let me know!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, good to see you posting here, buddy! Hope all is well~you're amassing quite an impressive assortment of tobacco cards there!

Like the idea of a monthly thread, too. Here are a few of my most recent pickups...

1977 rack with Yount on top. Always love a Met on top, too (and a future Met on back). image

1976 Topps wax tray. Super tough tray to find and this one is especially nice. I have several 76 trays with the All Series wrapper packs that Topps reused from 1974, but I believe I have just one other 76 tray with 1976 Series packs. I also like the original price sticker on this one (39c for 3 15c packs`a bargain!) from Tempo Buckeye Stores which would confirm that this tray was originally sold at a store in the Midwest (likely Ohio).

And last, this one is for all the Reds fans out there (jamciu, Mark, et al...)~a very clean 79 cello with a centered Charlie Hustle on top.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I'll contribute. Here's a 1929 R315 uncut strip that I recently picked up.

• Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    That R315 strip is really cool. Have never seen one before.

Tim, love the un-opened. Of course, you just had to post a Pete Rose cello.....image

Mike, hurry up and buy something so you can post it.

Let's keep this thread going.......let's see some more purchases.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Tim, that's a great month!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff!! Tim, that 79 Rose cello belongs in the Midwest!image
  • Options
    svtPONY95svtPONY95 Posts: 689 ✭✭
    Here is a few recent pick up's that I am thrilled with !

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • Options
    I added a couple really nice Reds items to my Reds collection. First, I picked up a PSA 10 1981 Topps Reds Team Card. I stumbled upon it in the last couple minutes of an eBay auction and couldn't resist:

Next, is a PSA 9 1975 Topps Regular Pete Rose. I am extremely happy with this one, as I have looked long and hard for a well-centered copy. Now, I need the mini version just like it.

• Options
    BTW, Doug and Mark, those are some nice pre war additions.image
  • Options
    Doug, Joe Jackson, Eddie Collins, and Nappy...I'd say that is a banner month.

I love the 1929 R315 uncut strip...awesome pickup!!!

I should have grabbed that 1977 rack Tim. Then I would have had something to post, LOL.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of '72 pickups....

...and a very nice semi-toughie....

• Options
    That '75 Rose is a real beauty! I love perfectly cut cards.
  • Options
    svtPONY95svtPONY95 Posts: 689 ✭✭
    John,

The 75 Rose is stunning and will look great in your Reds collection !

PaulMaul,

Love the 72's.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug, great pre-war cards, it seems your new focus is really shaping up beautifully!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Dave are those '72's self-submissions from your White Plains trips? Either way, sharp cards...congrats!!!

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Dave are those '72's self-submissions from your White Plains trips? Either way, sharp cards...congrats!!! >>

Mike, no, these were both purchased already graded. I do have a lot of nice raw '72's, but I'm not really committed to submitting them because the fees with a 787 card set would get astronomical. For now I'm pursuing a combined raw/graded set.
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Doug, That Eddie Collins looks fantastic!

Very nice 75 Rose, that is the best centering I have ever seen on that card.

I was hoping to pick up his daughter, but came away with this instead!

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    fresh out of the mailbox today: 1997 donruss signature significant signatures don mattingly psa 10...significant signatures from 97 and 98 are two of my favorite subsets from that era...beautiful on card signatures and condition sensitive foil borders make for a challenging set in high grade...im currently working on the 97 set...this pop 1 psa 10 mattingly just made my day!

[URL=http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/pjb103183/media/null_zpsb1ee105c.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/pjb103183/media/null_zps27a8caa1.jpg.html]image[/URL]

this bad boy came to my doorstep from canada about a week ago...these are always welcome in my collection!

[URL=http://s1020.photobucket.com/user/pjb103183/media/null_zps38fa7ff2.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

<< <i>Doug, That Eddie Collins looks fantastic!

Very nice 75 Rose, that is the best centering I have ever seen on that card.

I was hoping to pick up his daughter, but came away with this instead!

image >>

Nice pick-up Matt. I will eventually land one someday.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took a while to find the Ted and Rose with nice centering.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    jmlabonnerjmlabonner Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super pickups guys!
    Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    55 years ago. You guys are getting old.

Love the 75 Rose, Eddie Collins, and Ruth uncut strip.
  • Options
    That Mathews is an awesome looking 4!
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! Here's my most recent pickup. Got it in yesterday from the Steiner private signing:

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Wow, that Jeter jersey is awesome!
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    MATT!!!!!!

that aint HOOPS! image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    2015 has seen me do a #FOCUS 180….. I'm all-NBA True Gem Modern RC's lately. I'm also looking to pick up some high-eye appeal, low graded HOF RCs image

Picked up a few so far, here are some of the better ones….

• Options
    Beautiful variety in this thread~from pre-war to post-modern!

A few more rack pack pickups this past week~a handful of very clean 78s, including one with Carlton on top (and another with Rice on back).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    You are sticking it to me Tim. Nice racksimage

Eric--Those are some sweet BK RC's. Are those all from this month? Any reason you do BGS vs. PSA for those cards?

Matt--That is a sweet Gretzky. Nice rough cut and excellent centering.

Reggiecleveland--That is about the best 4 I have seen. Love the design of the 1960 Topps set. Yeah these other guys are getting old.
    Steve
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought it'd be fun to pick-up some sports car cards and try to get them slabbed. So I bought a handful of early Viper cards. Here's one that isn't here yet.

Not sure if there are some classic car cards (older cards 50s/60s/70s)...if there are let me know!

image >>

I have a bunch from Japan from the 1970s and 1980s. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, etc.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice additions guys. Keep them coming.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Just won this yesterday (seller's pic):

• Options
    PaulMaul: I love the 1972's. The Palmer is especially choice.

Tim: You continue to corner the 1978 rack market. Those are some nice looking pack.

Matt: Very nice Gretzky. If I were going to add one hockey card, it would be his OPC rookie.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    My first Lionel Carter

• Options
    "Eric--Those are some sweet BK RC's. Are those all from this month? Any reason you do BGS vs. PSA for those cards?"

Curry was last month, so sue me image

as for why BGS … Easier to find (but not in True Gem form, btw) and a good amount cheaper then their PSA 10 counterparts.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Really like the thread! Great way to share new additions to our collections.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Just received today the last pack to finish out my 1979 cello baseball box. It was on my 2015 collector bucket list.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Awesome stuff guys. Let's keep this thing going. Once April 1st comes, I will start another thread for April's purchases.

Hey Mike (CPA), come off that dang cash and buy something so you can post. Then again, you have so much un-opened that you could just grab something and post and we wouldn't know the difference. image

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome stuff guys. Let's keep this thing going. Once April 1st comes, I will start another thread for April's purchases.

Hey Mike (CPA), come off that dang cash and buy something so you can post. Then again, you have so much un-opened that you could just grab something and post and we wouldn't know the difference. image

Mark >>

Mike would have had half a dozen 74 cellos to post here but he fell asleep watching a movie last night, LOL!!

ETA: Sweet 79 cello box Yankeesman!

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here a few pickups from the last week or two. All are for sets I am currently working on.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very nice 52's you have picked up. Nice centering!!! How far along are you?
  • Options
    Awesome cards Mark, Eric and Matt. Here are my two for the month.
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some very nice 52's you have picked up. Nice centering!!! How far along are you? >>

I am about 12.5%. I have quite a journey ahead but I am concentrating on centering and taking my time.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been fairly busy the past couple of weeks. Here are a few unopened pieces I picked up.....all from board members....

1974, 1975 mini's, 1976 10-card pack, and a 1978 topps rack pack (I love these!)

1973 Topps Willie Stargell in PSA9

image[/URL]

Ive been getting fairly more aggressive with my 1956 topps set in PSA 7 and 7.5. Here are some recent additions. Focused on centered copies that present well for the grade.

I also have a couple items currently in transit that I am absolutely thrilled about!!

Thanks for looking!
    Jeremy
  • Options
    Wow, great stuff all around! I'm partial to oddballs and to 56 Topps, so I especially love the BK Emmitt and MantleFan's 56's.