Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard 2 ounce silver poured bar on Ebay - For sale again

OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 13, 2017 7:57PM in Precious Metals
These don't show up often. 3 known and this one is for sale. At $3,000 now but reserve not met. Let's see if this one sells.

Engelhard 2 oz silver poured bar

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few that I bought many years
    ago for spot. I never knew they were
    worth that kind of money. Crazy !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options

<< <i>I have a few that I bought many years
    worth that kind of money. Crazy !!! >>

If you have any 2 ounce silver poured bars you could probably make a nice profit. Got any photos handy?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for me. I'd rather buy a dozen 10 oz Engelhard bars and at least get some silver. YMMV

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If you have any 2 ounce silver poured bars you could probably make a nice profit. Got any photos handy? >>

I would love to see as well as only three are known to exist!

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Not for me. I'd rather buy a dozen 10 oz Engelhard bars and at least get some silver. YMMV >>

For sure these don't count towards one stack and these have zero to do with the price of silver which I why I like them. These have as about as much to do with the price of silver as a 1840 gem mint half dollar would. Zero correlation to the price of silver. They are highly collectable and just like rare coins are not fungible.

Mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    They are highly collectable and just like rare coins are not fungible.

image Nothing to do with stacking, everything to do with collecting the best of the best.

What's up with all the bids from a person with 0 feedback though image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If you have any 2 ounce silver poured bars you could probably make a nice profit. Got any photos handy? >>

I have thousands of these put away, but unfortunately no photos image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They are highly collectable and just like rare coins are not fungible.

image Nothing to do with stacking, everything to do with collecting the best of the best.

What's up with all the bids from a person with 0 feedback though image >>

My guess would be an alternate account of someone trying to discover what the reserve price is set at, without actually having to pay for it should they find it/win.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or the seller using another account to bump the bid count in order to bring more attention to the item....
    Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    The 0 feedback bidder has not been a factor since $1,700. A number of other bidders pushed the item up to $3,000.

Barring a stash of these 2 oz Engelhard silver bars turning up image - I consider the current bid to be a realistic value for these pieces.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting auction to watch, thanks! I sure like my little 3oz Engelhard bar a lot better!
  • Options

<< <i>An interesting auction to watch, thanks! I sure like my little 3oz Engelhard bar a lot better! >>

It should be worth 50% more than the 2 oz bar.image

• Options

<< <i>They are highly collectable and just like rare coins are not fungible.

What's up with all the bids from a person with 0 feedback though image >>

Looks like a shill bidder.

• Options
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    The reserve will come back to bite him...
    You can't be afraid of the market... It is what it is when you sell...

Edit to add : it is what it is when you are trying to buy also...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>I do have 1 of these ........ in deep storage, so no pixs.

This seller has been selling some VERY RARE Engelhard bars lately.

I have only seen 5 or 6 of these over the years.....

and if you notice ..... this is bar 1 of the 3 bars pixed on the AllEngelhard site.

Luv when 1 of these super rare bars is auctioned. Gives a guide to real value.

Keep on Stack'n!! >>

And then there were 4.

SB, I am glad to hear you have a 2 oz poured Engelhard silver. image

I am curious about the serial number range. Does the serial number of your example fall within the range covered by the other 3 known pieces?

• Options

Silver Baron
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C'mon Friday....

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. So what makes them so collectable? I know, there are only three. But what I mean is what is the history, why only 3? Why did they stop, ex..did they make them as a special order, a mistake, some kind of error by production etc? Vs the 10 oz which some say are as common as dirt.

With these I'm a complete newbie but would very much appreciate a little 10 cent primer on these engelhard collectable bars.

To make it simple, any recommended sites?

Thanks for any info.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    With a serial number of 353059 I doubt that there are only three in existence.

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>With a serial number of 353059 I doubt that there are only three in existence. >>

Probably more then 3. Not many more. Don't let the serial number fool you.

On the 2 ounce ingot------The high serial number is misleading, given the rarity of this ingot. Many, but not all, Engelhard serial numbers have a two digit prefix which we speculate is indicative of production run. It is believed this serial number range was shared with Canadian ingots in 20oz, Kilo and 50z weight class........................M
  • Options
    Justcommeman, thanks...fascinating to me for some reason. I appreciate the link.

I think I've just entered another expensive subhobby. Ugh. image

So any idea how much the montage of "one" single bar jawbone for? I'm new to the hobby so..$50k,..$100k? On the collectors market
    The octagon sheet with a population of one is really cool. I'm sure the history is an interesting one.
  • Options
  • Options
    Justcommem...Perfect! Thanks. In depth and informative to those that don't know the history.

To all...ESP interesting was the Counterfeit registry. Scary how spot on they are. Take a look at the pics. I'm sure old hat to most here but deserves a look.

Thanks again for your effort. Now I've got mixed emotions about entering the fray..cool bars but perfect counterfeits (to my eye).
  • Options
    That bar is "rariest", lol
    Should sold at 3k...
    Now will get under 3k if actually sold outside the bay...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>That bar is "rariest", lol
    Should sold at 3k...
    Now will get under 3k if actually sold outside the bay... >>

Wrong. I would pay 3K for it. I just won't do EBAY

M
  • Options
    Then he should contact you asap ...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Then he should contact you asap ... >>

Operators standing by

MJ
  • Options
    Silver Baron
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Same as any collectible. Some fancy date/mintmark/variety could have a premium of 1000x of a "regular" coin of the same type, or even date... to certain people.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Well it's at $4600+ with the reserve not met yet.

MJ
  • Options

• Options
    Silver Baron
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    " test the waters to see where it goes " listing?

Being it's beyond 50% more than what most in the know collectors would pay for it, it's being pumped up I think.

If this one doesn't sell, watch another one come out of the woodwork and then that seller can refer to this one and say, "look, this other one didn't even sell for $XXXX?, but i'll let you have mine for $XXXX"
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options

<< <i>" test the waters to see where it goes " listing?

Being it's beyond 50% more than what most in the know collectors would pay for it, it's being pumped up I think.

If this one doesn't sell, watch another one come out of the woodwork and then that seller can refer to this one and say, "look, this other one didn't even sell for $XXXX?, but i'll let you have mine for $XXXX" >>

I don't do EBAY but my $3000 stands firm.

MJ
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    The thing with these bars that I'm sure has been an issue before, say the fine old geezer who collects these rare bars, goes to meet his maker, without very specific instructions and the wife or kids go to sell it.... 99 out 100 times no one has any idea these things are worth anything over melt. These are only known as collectibles to a very small population. That would be enough to give me pause, even if I thought they were worth it.
  • Options

<< <i>The thing with these bars that I'm sure has been an issue before, say the fine old geezer who collects these rare bars, goes to meet his maker, without very specific instructions and the wife or kids go to sell it.... 99 out 100 times no one has any idea these things are worth anything over melt. These are only known as collectibles to a very small population. That would be enough to give me pause, even if I thought they were worth it. >>

Very good point. Most coin shops will not pay much more than melt for any silver bar. Esoteric bars and coins need to be sold by auction to realize their full potential.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The thing with these bars that I'm sure has been an issue before, say the fine old geezer who collects these rare bars, goes to meet his maker, without very specific instructions and the wife or kids go to sell it.... 99 out 100 times no one has any idea these things are worth anything over melt. These are only known as collectibles to a very small population. That would be enough to give me pause, even if I thought they were worth it. >>

Very good point. Most coin shops will not pay much more than melt for any silver bar. Esoteric bars and coins need to be sold by auction to realize their full potential. >>

I've never bought one at any auction and would never sell anything to a coin shop outside of melt.

I've bought all of mine via private treaty or at coin shows.

Mark

• Options
    NVUNVU Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    I was going to bid around 3K on this piece, now it's 5K+ and still haven't met reserve....Wow....too rich for my blood
  • Options
    Bidding is over $5,000 BUT the piece has still not hit reserve. You have to wonder if it is really for sale.

I agree with Mark in that I believe these pieces are fairly priced at $3,000. I will change that opinion if this example really sells for $5,000+.
  • Options
    Anyone know what and when the last one went for?
    Not much room left for any profit at 5-6k for an investor. But what do I know..I didn't think the reserve would be any where near 5k.
    This one sounds a bit strange.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know what and when the last one went for?
    Not much room left for any profit at 5-6k for an investor. But what do I know..I didn't think the reserve would be any where near 5k.
    This one sounds a bit strange. >>

That's just it, I don't know of any that have exchanged hands.

M
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    could just be someone testing the market and has an incredibly high reserve. Sooner or later, someone will bid an insane amount, see the reserve by doing so, and then say "bid in error" and retract the bid. Been done before, will be done again. Common practice, in fact.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread made me decide to relist my two 10 oz. Englehard gold bars over on BST, but at somewhat less than 130 times melt!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    There's a few bidders at 5K+ level, so it is safe this bar could brought at least that much at the auction. I personally would not think this bar worth that much, but I guess there are others want this bar much more than I do....still more than a day left, let's see how high it goes...
  • Options

<< <i>This thread made me decide to relist my two 10 oz. Englehard gold bars over on BST, but at somewhat less than 130 times melt! >>

Very nice bars Capt... The lower the melt value the higher the premium, interesting how it works...lol
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not for me. I'd rather buy a dozen 10 oz Engelhard bars and at least get some silver. YMMV >>

same here
  • Options

<< <i>

same here >>

I prefer otherwise
    Different strokes for different folks....