Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My theory on the cause of the Narrow Reeding found on some 2015 1/10th oz. gold eagles CONFIRMED!

124»

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that I sold fast. Bought two, sold one at nearly double cost so effectively, post tax, got the other 70 for $200 or so. Neat to own and for $200 net don't think I overpaid. It will b interesting to see the final numbers on narrow vs wide.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin World is quoting NGC as saying that they have slabbed two 2014 1/10 gold eagles with the same Narrow Reeding. It is suggested that all fractional eagles back to 2008 be checked.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still hanging in there pretty well....

Not too shabby!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This variety was completely hyped up by many wholesalers who made some serious cash on the deal
    It may be scarce, but who really cares...a reeding variety....not what I would ever call a major error
    Does not even come close the the 1999w, or even its silver sibling 2008 reverse 2007...as errors go >>

you keep saying this yet collectors keep paying a nice premium to have one. These are not a dog with fleas like the gold JFK turned out to be. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Are you talking about the 2015 coins or the newly-discovered 2014 coins?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Coin World gets the Mint to confirm my theory. The 2014 and 2015 Narrow Reeds 1/10th oz. gold eagles were struck in 2008 1/10th oz. gold Buffalo collars.

linky

The 2014 mintage with the Narrow Reeds collar is estimated at 15,000.

TD
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "United States Mint officials confirmed June 23 that the Narrow Reeds edge collar inadvertently used to strike strike several thousand 2014 and 2015 American Eagle tenth-ounce gold bullion $5 coins is the same collar type used in the producing the 2008 American Buffalo tenth-ounce gold bullion coins. However, U.S. Mint officials consider production from two edge collar types to be variants, not errors."

Inadvertent, but not an error. Typical government failure to admit a mistake. image

Nice that Coin World credits Tom with his theory.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Hey, they're nice people.
    And I used to work there!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file