Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My theory on the cause of the Narrow Reeding found on some 2015 1/10th oz. gold eagles CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These were not the bullion/business strikes but the UNC's. Some people got 100 of them or more. I recall 70FS going for around $150 w/many available. One of my buddies had ordered 15 and was looking to sell for melt. I noted that they were all errors, took him to the Balto show and he sold them for $550 or so each raw. He gave me one for letting him know and I got a 70 on it. >>

To clarify, he is talking about the 2008 Rev. of 2007 Burnished Uncs. The 2015 1/10th gold eagles with the Narrow Reeding are the regular bullion issue.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Seems like the HOF gold selling in for $1100 and quickly falling into the $500 range now. I will pass. I would buy an NGC 70 ER Reverse 2008 ASW though for a $1000 if I had a choice.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    There will be many many more of these turning up
    I suspect they will return to the twice melt level very soon
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I suspect they will return to the twice melt level very soon >>

doubt it.

three just sold for $1500 ea.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Tulip mania
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I suspect they will return to the twice melt level very soon >>

doubt it.

three just sold for $1500 ea. >>

Wow!! Just didn't think that the $900 offer from MCM was a flipping opportunity.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>These were not the bullion/business strikes but the UNC's. Some people got 100 of them or more. I recall 70FS going for around $150 w/many available. One of my buddies had ordered 15 and was looking to sell for melt. I noted that they were all errors, took him to the Balto show and he sold them for $550 or so each raw. He gave me one for letting him know and I got a 70 on it. >>

To clarify, he is talking about the 2008 Rev. of 2007 Burnished Uncs. The 2015 1/10th gold eagles with the Narrow Reeding are the regular bullion issue.

TD >>

Absolutely. Sorry if I was not clear. Thanks.
  • Options
    brendanlambrendanlam Posts: 662 ✭✭✭
    Finally my coins is shipping out, stupid me ordered 69s, but I got pcgs 70 set from GC for $900. Dunno keep it or put on eBay yet.
  • Options
    It's the greater fool theory in practice
  • Options

<< <i>Finally my coins is shipping out, stupid me ordered 69s, but I got pcgs 70 set from GC for $900. Dunno keep it or put on eBay yet. >>

Personally, at $1500 I would flip it on Feebay in a second.
  • Options

<< <i>Tulip mania >>

You were completely the opposite with the gold JFKs.

• Options
    We are discussing 1/10 eagles here, not gold kennedys
    Keep on topic.
    Again--greater fool theory in progress with these
    If you have any---flip them fast
    You will not see these stupid prices for long
    Soon all the fools will have purchased one at these stupid prices
  • Options
    Does anybody think that the interest in the 2015 American Eagle variety will increase the interest in the other American Eagle varieties, specifically the 1999-W 1/10 and 1/4 ounce errors?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We are discussing 1/10 eagles here, not gold kennedys
    Keep on topic.
    Again--greater fool theory in progress with these
    If you have any---flip them fast
    You will not see these stupid prices for long
    Soon all the fools will have purchased one at these stupid prices >>

Maybe, however Fudd's third law of opposition says:

The earlybird gets the worm and makes some decent money too!!!!image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i>I sold an NGC 70 ER on Ebay pretty quickly today for $825.

Another seller got $895 shortly before mine sold.

Looks like the demand is there for now. >>

Some one just paid crazy amount $995 for it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I sold an NGC 70 ER on Ebay pretty quickly today for $825.

Another seller got $895 shortly before mine sold.

Looks like the demand is there for now. >>

Some one just paid crazy amount $995 for it. >>

Just noticed that - $995 for an NGC 70ER.

Looks like I sold too early. Thought that $825 was a good price to get but sold early - AGAIN! UGH!!!!!!!

I wonder where these will top out. Just nuts right now.

• Options

<< <i>Does anybody think that the interest in the 2015 American Eagle variety will increase the interest in the other American Eagle varieties, specifically the 1999-W 1/10 and 1/4 ounce errors? >>

May well be the case. I think that to some extent it depends on how the numismatic mags cover this issue - i.e., do they reference the 99's.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anybody think that the interest in the 2015 American Eagle variety will increase the interest in the other American Eagle varieties, specifically the 1999-W 1/10 and 1/4 ounce errors? >>

An increase in interest will be measured by an increase in price. Not until gold sees an increase.

• Options
    NGCs back @ MCM - non ER this time...
  • Options
    Saturation point probably reached
  • Options

<< <i>Saturation point probably reached >>

Only 26 have sold on ebay. Prices are however leveling as more competition enters the market. I expect them to drop a bit until the ebay flood comes and goes. My early guess of prices leveling around those of the $5 1999 W uncirc. still holds. Seems to be a shortage of 2015 $5 AGEs on ebay and among some bullion dealers. Usually the market is flooded with them right after the new year.

• Options
    These aren't even in the same class as the 1999 w unc
    These will fall a lot harder
  • Options

<< <i>These aren't even in the same class as the 1999 w unc
    These will fall a lot harder >>

Get back with me in six months.

• Options
    A collar/reeding error in the same class as a obverse die and mm error
    Not even in the same class
    Not even close
    It won't take six months for these to fall on thier face
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amen. I actually collect MS fractional and have NO interest in these because IMO, they just are not that significant. More power to the flippers making money though...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>Amen. I actually collect MS fractional and have NO interest in these because IMO, they just are not that significant. >>

then you'll never have all of the key coins of the series. image

• Options
    Are these even included in registry sets yet? If not I think intrest will increase once they are.
  • Options
    Looks like prices have peaked for now and are coming down a bit.

NGC MS70 ER sold for $800 yesterday and a PCGS MS70FS sold for $834 which is a substantial drop.
  • Options
    The party's over
  • Options

<< <i>The party's over >>

A tenth ounce bullion gold for 7X spot sounds pretty strong to me. Party on.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't count it among the meaningful members of the series, so will have all the keys. Happy that flippers are making out though....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Party is over my friends. Only down from here.
    If you had them, hope you sold.
  • Options
    All modern hot items initially peak in the aftermarket and then the price settles down. Not unusual, happens to the best of them. What matters is where the price settles. Still too early to start sweeping the dance floor.

<< <i>Looks like prices have peaked for now and are coming down a bit. NGC MS70 ER sold for $800 yesterday and a PCGS MS70FS sold for $834 which is a substantial drop. >>

a PCGS 70FS just sold for 950 on ebay. While prices are no longer ridiculous, they currently remain quite strong.

• Options
    It looks like prices have settled out at approx. $850 for PCGS MS70 FS. $800 for NGC MS70 ER though less of these have sold recently.
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like prices have settled out at approx. $850 for PCGS MS70 FS. $800 for NGC MS70 ER though less of these have sold recently. >>

7X melt! I guess the party is over.

• Options
    Give it a few more weeks, maybe a month, prices will continue to fall
    Sell em now........
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    This ebay seller has a couple of raw narrow-reed versions, including this one, which has an interesting contact mark at nearly 3 o'clock on the obverse, near the stars at the rim.

Was that mark made by contact with the reeds of another coin? I've been trying to learn how various marks are made, and I figured this was a particularly interesting one. Can you tell if the marks were made by another $5 coin with narrow reeds? Or could it have been made by another denomination gold coin altogether? How are these bullion issues handled at the mint(s)?

With a mark like that it probably wouldn't grade very well (66? 67?), but I found it remarkable in all this talk about reeding.
  • Options

<< <i>This ebay seller has a couple of raw narrow-reed versions, including this one, which has an interesting contact mark at nearly 3 o'clock on the obverse, near the stars at the rim.

Was that mark made by contact with the reeds of another coin? I've been trying to learn how various marks are made, and I figured this was a particularly interesting one. Can you tell if the marks were made by another $5 coin with narrow reeds? Or could it have been made by another denomination gold coin altogether? How are these bullion issues handled at the mint(s)?

With a mark like that it probably wouldn't grade very well (66? 67?), but I found it remarkable in all this talk about reeding. >>

Hard to say for sure, but that does appear to be a reeding mark from another narrow reeds coin.
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Capt. It was the kind of thing that caught my eye, but I imagine I'm probably the only potential buyer on earth who would care about such a thing.

At this point PCGS shows a population of 271 NR coins, all of them FS, and they show 1577 ATS. I guess that quantity seems kind of low for the numbers that I bet collect these... or is it? I just thought I'd put it up now and see how much the numbers grow in the coming months.
  • Options
    Prices still stable. Very much looking forward to more info re: numbers of the narrow reed variety as time goes on.
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    just think, if the new holders with the third side of the coin visible were not in vogue now, you wouldn't even be able to see the edge of these coins(in their holders)!! LOL!!
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options

<< <i>just think, if the new holders with the third side of the coin visible were not in vogue now, you wouldn't even be able to see the edge of these coins(in their holders)!! LOL!! >>

Very true. Same for edge lettering on other issues of course.
  • Options
    MCM dropped BIN price to 799 on PCGS ms70 FS
  • Options

<< <i>MCM dropped BIN price to 799 on PCGS ms70 FS >>

Well the price is still high because of low mintage as is now based on NGC and PCGS pops, but demand on the coin is low. So either collectors dunno/ dun care or waiting until the mint release information what cost this error or variant
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pop reports for MS70 PCGS FS 5$ AGE are almost identical for narrow and wide reeds...... Why pay a premium for narrow?
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The pop reports for MS70 PCGS FS 5$ AGE are almost identical for narrow and wide reeds...... Why pay a premium for narrow? >>

Good question. I think those who buy at the current high prices are in for a severe hit to their wallets in the coming months/years.
  • Options
    Narrow reeds are running out of steam
    Approx 600 for pcgs 70 FS on d bay
    It's a race to the bottom
  • Options
    Never did find out for sure if this was the result of the Mint using an old Buffalo gold collar. The Mint stonewalled it very well.
  • Options
    This variety was completely hyped up by many wholesalers who made some serious cash on the deal
    It may be scarce, but who really cares...a reeding variety....not what I would ever call a major error
    Does not even come close the the 1999w, or even its silver sibling 2008 reverse 2007...as errors go

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file