Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jay Cline has passed away

2»

Comments

• I'm shocked and this is hard to believe. Last I saw him he was in good shape and animated; looked like he had 10-20 years more before retirement.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I met him only once but he was a genuinely nice guy and easy to talk to.

Condolences to the family.

Tempus fugit.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sad news. Jay had a coin shop in Dayton Ohio for years. Used to attend his once-a-month coin auction he held in Englewood. Because of other commitments I hadn't been for a few years. Miss his coin stories!

RIP Jay. >>

I believe he worked with a brother whom I never met.
    Tempus fugit.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sympathies to Mr. Cline's family. image
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I immediately thought of the dealer with the Top Hat and Standing Liberty Quarters. Rest in Peace! >>

Same here.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to hear. Mr Cline was one of my favorite numismatic personalities, RIP
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I never bought a coin from him, I would look at his coins often at the Long Beach shows. A few years ago when I was browsing his inventory, he asked me if I was a Standing Liberty Coin collector and I told him I was more of a type collector but that I liked the standing liberty design. We chatted about the coins for a few minutes and he took the time to show me some really great quarters. Before I left the table, he ended up giving me a hardcover copy of his Standing Liberty Quarter book to help me learn more about the series. Was very cool of him to do that and I still refer to that book when a new SLQ passes across my desk. image

R.I.P. Mr. Cline

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saddened to hear of his passing. He will be sorely missed. A very kind man and willing to share.

I remember meeting him back in 1972 in Cleveland, Ohio and seeing him quite often again all the way through to just last year. While I bought only one inexpensive coin from him over all those years, he treated me like I was his best customer and was a good friend.

He liked that my last name while spelled differently was pronounced exactly the same. I liked that too.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May God be with him and my condolences to his loved ones. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Erik
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to his family and those that knew him well.

I recall talking to him over the years- He was pleasant

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is always stunning when a fixture leaves the scene. I knew him only from his books, but it is a loss to the hobby. Condolences to his family and friends.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay was a good man and loved his SLQs and made us all love them as well. For that we owe him a great debt. Condolences and prayers to his family.

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad news. The few times I talked to him at shows, it was a pleasure. My condolences to his family.
  • Oh my... Rest in Peace Sir...
    Time sure flies....

Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condolences to his family..... RickO
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear this. He sure was a fine man.
    Years ago, probably 35 years ago, I sent him a batch of low grade, useless Standing Quarters. Stuff that he couldn't possibly have needed.
    I'm sure he realized the importance of getting a check off to a budding coin dealer. At the time that check had to be pretty important to me, and when it arrived, I knew he was a special guy.
    RIP Jay !

Paul
  • air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this news. Never met Mr.Cline but I always ran across his ad with his picture of him donning his top hat. My condolences to his family and friends.
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I bought two coins from him in my misguided silver days -- 16 and 18/17 and made nice returns. They were nice coins for the grade (VF20 former, F15 latter).
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh my... Rest in Peace Sir...
    Time sure flies....

image >>

11/31/86???

31 days in November? That must have been one heck-of-a night!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picky, picky, picky!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I only met him once, at a 'Money Show', a handful, or so, years ago. He really was as nice as a person could be, just a very genuine person (in that short time, tried to make an SLQ collector out of me, where I had NO knowledge in the series...) Bought my first SLQ from him, and while I don't know the series, his display cases were certainly nicer, had bigger/better choices than any SLQ dealer, if not ANY series dealer. My thoughts are with those he left behind, a great loss, as he certainly seemed like he would make a magnificent family man.
    I'll come up with something.
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My condolences to his family. I only met him in person once, at a Long Beach show several years ago. I needed a tougher date collector grade SLQ (a 1920-D) for my collection and of course he had a few of them and sold me a nice XF for a fair price. I remember he was very friendly and helpful to me. I still have one of his books for reference.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    A one of a kind gentleman has passed. My condolences to his family and friends, all who knew him. As I look back, his life demonstrates that you can make a nice living selling predominantly one small short series, be a gentleman, helpful, well liked and nice. To me, he was everything I think a coin dealer should be. A very sad passing.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭
    I am so sorry to hear this. He was a great dealer and a treasure of knowledge. I have his books and was looking forward to seeing him in Long Beach next week and doing some business. Will miss you.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone knows of a link to an obituary, please do post here...
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A one of a kind gentleman has passed. My condolences to his family and friends, all who knew him. As I look back, his life demonstrates that you can make a nice living selling predominantly one small short series, be a gentleman, helpful, well liked and nice. To me, he was everything I think a coin dealer should be. A very sad passing. >>

Very well written!
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great guy who I enjoyed conversing with immensely. I loved the chain strike of SLQs that were often a centerpiece in one of his cases at show back in the day. Tried like crazy to get him to quote me a price but at the time he said he was still "in love with them too much". Don't know what happened to them. I haven't seen an obit yet but I heard from a good friend that he was looking rather gaunt the last time he saw him. Great dealer, nice guy, and a real scholar. RIP

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.H. Cline, of Palm Harbor, Fla., died Jan. 8, 2015, from injuries suffered in an accident.

He was owner of J.H. Cline Rare Coins. Mr. Cline specialized in Standing Liberty quarter dollars for more than 40 years.

Mr. Cline began his full-time career in numismatics in 1964. He spent 31 years operating his own coin shop, Cline’s Rare Coins on Salem Avenue in Dayton, Ohio, before moving to Palm Harbor.

Mr. Cline was a life member of the American Numismatic Association. He was also a member of the Indiana State Numismatic Association, National Silver Dollar Roundtable, Florida United Numismatists, Central States Numismatic Society, and other coin clubs.

In 1975 he published Standing Liberty Quarters. The fourth edition of the book was published in 2007.

Mr. Cline “began collecting coins in high school with a few Indian Head cents. His first Standing Liberty Quarter was a severely cleaned 1918-S from a friend who asked the great sum of 35¢ for the coin. He bought that piece in the early 1950’s,” his website states.

Mr. Cline is survived by his wife, Vicki, two daughters, and three sons.

Mrs. Cline told Coin World that per her husband’s instructions, “a private memorial service may be held at a later date.”
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago Jay, Peter Huntoon and myself gave educational talks in Wichita, KS. His talk was very educational and interesting. It was great to have him come out and talk about Standing Liberty Quarters. I always admired his devotion to education in numismatics. At the last Baltimore show I bought a 1916 from him in XF. He was a tough negotiator, but fair on all sides of the deal. He was having health issues then and I had hoped it was a temporary thing. He will be long remembered - and missed.

I call him "Jay", but I don't know what the "J" stood for.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭
    Sad to hearimage

Post above said he died in an accident not from illness?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A few years ago Jay, Peter Huntoon and myself gave educational talks in Wichita, KS. His talk was very educational and interesting. It was great to have him come out and talk about Standing Liberty Quarters. I always admired his devotion to education in numismatics. At the last Baltimore show I bought a 1916 from him in XF. He was a tough negotiator, but fair on all sides of the deal. He was having health issues then and I had hoped it was a temporary thing. He will be long remembered - and missed.

I call him "Jay", but I don't know what the "J" stood for. >>

I believe it was "Jayson".

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• << <i>Sad to hearimage

Post above said he died in an accident not from illness? >>

http://www.coinworld.com/insights/Longtime-coin-dealer-J-H-Cline-dies.html#

"J.H. Cline, of Palm Harbor, Fla., died Jan. 8, 2015, from injuries suffered in an accident."
    removed duplicate post

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but at Baltimore he spoke about a near-death experience regarding an illness. We taked about being grateful for time we are given.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    from Coin World:

H. Cline, of Palm Harbor, Fla., died Jan. 8, 2015, from injuries suffered in an accident.

He was owner of J.H. Cline Rare Coins. Mr. Cline specialized in Standing Liberty quarter dollars for more than 40 years.

Mr. Cline began his full-time career in numismatics in 1964. He spent 31 years operating his own coin shop, Cline’s Rare Coins on Salem Avenue in Dayton, Ohio, before moving to Palm Harbor.

Mr. Cline was a life member of the American Numismatic Association. He was also a member of the Indiana State Numismatic Association, National Silver Dollar Roundtable, Florida United Numismatists, Central States Numismatic Society, and other coin clubs.

In 1975 he published Standing Liberty Quarters. The fourth edition of the book was published in 2007.

Mr. Cline “began collecting coins in high school with a few Indian Head cents. His first Standing Liberty Quarter was a severely cleaned 1918-S from a friend who asked the great sum of 35¢ for the coin. He bought that piece in the early 1950’s,” his website states.

Mr. Cline is survived by his wife, Vicki, two daughters, and three sons.

Mrs. Cline told Coin World that per her husband’s instructions, “a private memorial service may be held at a later date.”
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He was a tough negotiator, but fair on all sides of the deal. >>

Jay was but he didn't have a poker face as it was always easy to tell when he really wanted something. He'd ogle it like it was the first SLQ he'd ever held and rub his left thumb up and down the slab while viewing ones he was interested in. He also didn't do the song & dance of asking "what do you want for it" as many times he'd right away state what he was willing to pay which at times was more then I was expecting. At an ANA show I brought my AU58 SLQ's just for show & tell and told him these are not for sale. He still tossed high numbers on each stating he can save me the trouble of transporting them back home. He had a great personalty as he'd always greet you with a big smile and a firm handshake and you always parted the same way. Not just at his table but even if you ran into him on the brouse floor or in restaurant and I'm really going to miss seeing Jay at shows!
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He was a tough negotiator, but fair on all sides of the deal. >>

Jay was but he didn't have a poker face as it was always easy to tell when he really wanted something. He'd ogle it like it was the first SLQ he'd ever held and rub his left thumb up and down the slab while viewing ones he was interested in. He also didn't do the song & dance of asking "what do you want for it" as many times he'd right away state what he was willing to pay which at times was more then I was expecting. At an ANA show I brought my AU58 SLQ's just for show & tell and told him these are not for sale. He still tossed high numbers on each stating he can save me the trouble of transporting them back home. He had a great personalty as he'd always greet you with a big smile and a firm handshake and you always parted the same way. Not just at his table but even if you ran into him on the brouse floor or in restaurant and I'm really going to miss seeing Jay at shows! >>

Nice post!
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll never forget him.
    Vplite99
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear this. I don't know if it was an automobile accident or not, but driving in FL from about Dec thru March is hazardous with the influx of bad drivers from up north. My condolences to his family, he was a good guy.
  • mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    I purchased a 1927 s Standing Liberty Quarter from him graded PCGS VF 30. This was many years ago. He told me the coin was very PQ and it was. I paid $ 200 for it. Many years later, I submitted the coin for regrade under a Collectors Club special at PCGS. It came back in a secure holder graded XF40. It will stay in my Registry Set permanently. My condolences to his family.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bought a copy of his book a week ago and I'm very impressed after reading through it. I just searched the forum to see if there were any threads about the book or the author and its depressing to see this was the first thread to come up.

From reading the book he seemed like he was the go to guy on this series and its a shame to find out he is no longer with usimage

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Saddened to see the Thead announcing Jay's passing.
    My sincerest condolences to his wife, Vicki and their
    children.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't want to say too much out of respect for him and his family(great man that will be well missed), but it was a tragic accident, and not automobile.
  • For those who may not have known his name he was known for his hat(s) and here is a memorial picture of him. As others have stated he will not be forgotten and his knowledge will continue to help current and new numismatist well in to the future.

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to read this.
    Never met the man though I'm impressed by his vast knowledge and passion for the SLQ.
    His contribution to numismatic's will no doubt go on through his sharing and written work.
    Cool hat in that pic!
    My condolences to his family and friends.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    This is sad news indeed.

I tried researching online to discover more about what happened to him. I can find nothing beyond that he was in an accident and died of his injuries. Does anyone have more information beyond this?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is sad news indeed.

I tried researching online to discover more about what happened to him. I can find nothing beyond that he was in an accident and died of his injuries. Does anyone have more information beyond this? >>

Beyond is key. Condolences to those most adversely affected.
    Not sure what happened, but I do believe in streets of gold.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is sad news indeed.

I tried researching online to discover more about what happened to him. I can find nothing beyond that he was in an accident and died of his injuries. Does anyone have more information beyond this? >>

What I heard at a local club (Florida) meeting was that he was in an automobile accident, but I don't know for sure if that is true, and I don't know the details.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file