Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why does eBay not allow sellers to accept checks ?

I has a potential buyer ask if I would take a check and I told them yes and then went and checked
eBay's policy on checks. I wish I had done that first because a seller can only accept checks in
specific categories and coins are not on that list. I had to tell the person that I had made a mistake
and could not take checks according to eBay's rules. This was the first time that had been asked and
for many years I all ways could take them. When did that change?

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that if you offer local pickup, you can accept any form of payment at the time of pickup... even checks. But you also have to offer PayPal always.

And in the case a buyer chooses local pickup and doesn't check out through eBay and pay via PayPal, you will get hurt on your rankings towards top rated seller status as you will lose the points for not uploading a tracking number that is verified by the carrier. I've talked to eBay several times about this and the only way for the seller to get around that is to cancel the transaction after the fact, but that screws eBay out of their fees which is of course not allowed!

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

I talked to ebay about local pick up. I have several customers locally who will buy from me off ebay because I no longer have a store front. I was getting dinged a while back from not having an uploadable tracking number, but if I sent out the invoice and mark local pick up it doesn't gig me any longer on the dsr ratings. You just have to keep a customer from processing the payment first and checking the wrong shipping method.
    Ever since this, I am having no problems keeping 97% uploading /shipping. I still get a few outgoing packages , because post office line is so long I leave them there and sometimes they don't get uploaded till the next day which now hits you once in a while.

jim
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I don't see how ebay gets away with it. It is a restriction of business trade as defined by law! I simply do the deal and end the listing. Ebay will learn one day that paypal isn't everything and they loose revenue due to trying to force a paypal only policy!
  • Options

I saw that about local pick ups being all right and don't want to loose my rating points
    but ya know I thought eBay would lax some what on the demands for using Pay Pal since
    they were splitting up. Thank You for the information.

Tiny
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I has a potential buyer ask if I would take a check and I told them yes and then went and checked
    eBay's policy on checks. I wish I had done that first because a seller can only accept checks in
    specific categories and coins are not on that list. I had to tell the person that I had made a mistake
    and could not take checks according to eBay's rules. This was the first time that had been asked and
    for many years I all ways could take them. When did that change? >>

Years ago. To my understanding, you can accept checks, as long as you also accept paypal. Obviously, though, 99.9% of buyers will use paypal as there is no ebay buyer protection with a check.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you sell a coin E-Bay removes their commission (in the form of your monthly statement) instantly. To avoid a fee from Paypal also, there's nothing that precludes the Buyer and Seller from agreeing on the use of a check. In fact, I have a regular customer who sends me checks for purchases. Now there is a delay in receiving it and depositing it but it's not expressly prohibited as best as I know.

I think the logic is that not everyone has a PayPal account. That shouldn't keep them from buying on E-Bay.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I don't see how ebay gets away with it. It is a restriction of business trade as defined by law! I simply do the deal and end the listing. Ebay will learn one day that paypal isn't everything and they loose revenue due to trying to force a paypal only policy! >>

Probably pretty soon as they are spinning off Paypal.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have certain merchants I still use checks with...I have no idea what they do on the site. These are people I've known for a long time.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I has a potential buyer ask if I would take a check and I told them yes and then went and checked

Years ago. To my understanding, you can accept checks, as long as you also accept paypal. Obviously, though, 99.9% of buyers will use paypal as there is no ebay buyer protection with a check. >>

Correct...in the coins or bullion category, you cannot advertise that you accept checks, but unless your parameters are set to only accept PayPal, you certainly can.
    Personally, I've gotten away from checks years ago, and it's been a blessing.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    This is why I stopped using eBay all together for selling, and only use them on very rare occasions for purchasing. If you don't like the way a business is doing business and you want it to change (or go away), stop doing business with them.

If enough people stop using eBay, they will change their tune quickly.
  • Options

<< <i>This is why I stopped using eBay all together for selling, and only use them on very rare occasions for purchasing. If you don't like the way a business is doing business and you want it to change (or go away), stop doing business with them.

If enough people stop using eBay, they will change their tune quickly. >>

You're spitting against the wind with the above comment. Electronic payments are the way to go, only a small minority still use checks.
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still occasionally take checks/MOs from people I know. I suppose a seller does it at their own risk though.
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiny , list the item for them in the engine block parts categoryimage

If you choose that category you can choose checks or money orders if you desire , ebay will put that option on the sell your item form as a check box.

Edited to add , immediate payment required will prevent this from working , you would have to uncheck that option
  • Options

<< <i>Tiny , list the item for them in the engine block parts categoryimage

If you choose that category you can choose checks or money orders if you desire , ebay will put that option on the sell your item form as a check box.

Edited to add , immediate payment required will prevent this from working , you would have to uncheck that option >>

LOL Yea that would work. I think eBay Motors is the only place that can take checks.

Awhile back I sold a few coins to a real nice guy and became friends and would talk on the phone
    and he would bid on auctions then paid with a check one time and he said eBay emailed once or
    twice a day about sending payment to me and so I marked the dang auction paid when it wasn't
    yet. Then eBay bugged me about loading tracking information. I had forgot about that until just
    now.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With paypal ebay gets 3% of the transaction plus 25c I believe plus the FVF of course; with a check they get nothing outside of the FVF.

Before paypal I would not ship until checks cleared my bank, no exceptions. For money order payments I would not ship until the mo was cashed or my bank confirmed to me it had cleared. On one occasion a guy gave me a fake USPS money order as USPS would not cash it. I sent it back to him and told him I did not want his business (and blocked him). He swore up and down it was ok - I told him I would neg him if any more out of him. That shut him up. He even had the gall to tell me he was not very impressed with me. What, that he could not steal from me?

I have had people at shows wanting to take coins priced at $2 to as much as $600 to another dealers for an opinion. I simply tell them nothing leaves my table unless purchased. Some even become indignant - then I tell them stay away and that's forever (don't have time for games). What, I should babysit them bc they are not enough of an adult to make a decision while they walk around the bourse with my coins?

I like paypal as I can immediately apply the recepts against any purchases. However it adds 3% to my variable costs (FVF, paypal fees, and shipping expenses) which total 15% of sales. All this has to be added to the markup equation which includes my commission and an allowance for fixed costs. All of my sales require payment by paypal and in US funds only. I like people who can pay quickly, no games or BS. The others can get lost.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    I've received checks before.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a couple of bad experiences with checks. Glad to see the security of the PayPal. On eBay I had the amount it was written for altered. On the BST check was cashed and coins not sent until a member that was local to the guy made a visit.
    In case one my Credit Union gave me a new account and turned it over to law enforcement. In case two sure is nice when members that are in the right place and have the right jobs help.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've received checks before. >>

Yup, occasionally a buyer will ask ahead of time if I accept checks. I explain the delay for clearance and that's that. After they send the check and it clears I mark the item as "paid" and have never had an issue with this.

I will say it is an infrequent occurrence....
  • Options

It should be noted , that here in the land of the free , home of the brave you can't take checks or money order. But if you list an item on a different ebay you can take pretty much anything. Checks , money orders, bank wires, camels, postage stamps or even a hamburger next Tuesday .
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes no sense and really is annoying.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike,

I talked to ebay about local pick up. I have several customers locally who will buy from me off ebay because I no longer have a store front. I was getting dinged a while back from not having an uploadable tracking number, but if I sent out the invoice and mark local pick up it doesn't gig me any longer on the dsr ratings. You just have to keep a customer from processing the payment first and checking the wrong shipping method.
    Ever since this, I am having no problems keeping 97% uploading /shipping. I still get a few outgoing packages , because post office line is so long I leave them there and sometimes they don't get uploaded till the next day which now hits you once in a while.

jim >>

So eBay dings you for not having an uploaded tracking # even tho the customer doesn't give a rat's patoot?
  • Options
    MrDMrD Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭
    I believe that you can accept checks but they don't advise that you do.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been to the post office easily a thousand times to get a M/O for a coin purchase on Ebay. Paypal is so much better!!

Tyler
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I don't see how ebay gets away with it. It is a restriction of business trade as defined by law! I simply do the deal and end the listing. Ebay will learn one day that paypal isn't everything and they loose revenue due to trying to force a paypal only policy! >>

eBay doesn't forbid checks, etc. it's just that you can't solicit them. All requests to pay by check must be initiated by the buyer. I do not see how payment type should negate eBay protection as long as the transaction was conducted per eBay rules.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can accept any form of payment you so choose for an ebay sale. Ebay limits the types of payments that you can advertise in your listing.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple fact is eBay ended up biting the bullet on check transactions for gold bullion and had to sue several people IIRC. So they do everything they can to discourage there use.
    It's simple to get around if you take on the risk of the check bouncing.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not used ebay in several - no - many, years...but when I did, I paid by check - was never an issue. Often, sellers I frequented, would ship even before receiving the check. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never request to use a check, dealers I know ask for them, to save cc charges, etc.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've done ebay since 1997. They don't prohibit accepting checks, or cash for that matter, but ever since they acquired PayPal they do not allow you to advertise that you accept any other payments besides PayPal or credit/debit cards. They say it's about security, protection, etc. but the main reason for this is obvious; PayPal generates them substantial income....for now, at least, until they spin off PayPal (and IMO, come up with another in-house payment service of some sort).

But...bottom line-A buyer can ask you if you accept checks, cash, etc. and you can say yes, but you cannot advertise it in your listings.

We have no qualms taking checks; when a buyer asks if we do, we simply tell them yes, but the item does not ship until the funds have totally cleared. Known and established repeat customers usually get the item shipped out when the check hits.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>

eBay doesn't forbid checks, etc. it's just that you can't solicit them. All requests to pay by check must be initiated by the buyer. I do not see how payment type should negate eBay protection as long as the transaction was conducted per eBay rules. >>

If the buyers check is returned for whatever reason after you mailed your coin, you are not covered under the eBay's buyers protection. If the buyer paid vial PayPal and PayPal indicates: "It's ok to ship," you are covered regardless if the buyers cc or attached checking or savings account subsequently denies the transaction..
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

eBay doesn't forbid checks, etc. it's just that you can't solicit them. All requests to pay by check must be initiated by the buyer. I do not see how payment type should negate eBay protection as long as the transaction was conducted per eBay rules. >>

This is my understanding too.

A seller does not have to accept PayPal but does have to offer an electronic alternative (e.g., credit cards).
    Lance.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why does eBay not allow sellers to accept check? >>

Because eBay wants for force you to use PayPal which gives them more revenue.

Guess what eBay? I won't buy anything from you because of YOUR RULES which means you won't get ANY MONEY from me.

Happy now? As a eBay seller many years ago I found that selling on their site was lot more work than selling at a show. Then as they added more and more to the seller's expenses, using eBay became not profitable. The only way you can make out on eBay is to get a high mark-up, and in the coin business that is not possible unless you find people who are willing to pay high prices. An alternative is you over value what you are selling and then sell it to people who don't any better.

Given that scenario, when comes to selling coins, eBay holds all the aces and the buyers and sellers get all of the deuces.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>....If the buyers check is returned for whatever reason after you mailed your coin, you are not covered under the eBay's buyers protection. If the buyer paid vial PayPal and PayPal indicates: "It's ok to ship," you are covered regardless if the buyers cc or attached checking or savings account subsequently denies the transaction.. >>

This is ironic. You weren't covered as a buyer submitting a good check either. Ebay didn't care one way another. My last coin transaction on Ebay for a $20 Lib was paid with a check. The seller cashed the check and didn't ship any merchandise. The seller didn't even dispute the fact that no merchandise was shipped and that the auction was lifted from another coin dealer (ie never owned the coin in question). Ebay sided with them. The issue isn't checks or paypal...it's the management at Ebay.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If the buyers check is returned for whatever reason after you mailed your coin, you are not covered under the eBay's buyers protection. If the buyer paid vial PayPal and PayPal indicates: "It's ok to ship," you are covered regardless if the buyers cc or attached checking or savings account subsequently denies the transaction.. >>

CC charge backs remain a threat to sellers. EBay/paypal will help fight the battle with a CC company but will not eat the loss if CC sides with the buyer and processes the charge back. This is the Achilles Heel for ebay sellers.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Years ago. To my understanding, you can accept checks, as long as you also accept paypal. Obviously, though, 99.9% of buyers will use paypal as there is no ebay buyer protection with a check. >>

Correct...in the coins or bullion category, you cannot advertise that you accept checks, but unless your parameters are set to only accept PayPal, you certainly can.
    Personally, I've gotten away from checks years ago, and it's been a blessing. >>

Buyer protection or "Seller Protection"?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>CC charge backs remain a threat to sellers >>

cc charge back remain a threat to anyone who accepts cc's as a form of payment.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've received checks before. >>

Yup, occasionally a buyer will ask ahead of time if I accept checks. ........

... >>

And I always say YES to encourage more bids and just hope they don't win....mostly, the special
    requesters don't win image
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    A seller can accept a check IF the buyer asks to pay that way.
    Sellers can't ask for anything other than the eBay approved payment methods.
  • Options

<< <i>A seller can accept a check IF the buyer asks to pay that way.
    Sellers can't ask for anything other than the eBay approved payment methods. >>

Just here in the US , if you list on a different ebay site you can take anything
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>CC charge backs remain a threat to sellers >>

cc charge back remain a threat to anyone who accepts cc's as a form of payment. >>

If you accept paypal on ebay, you accept credit cards. Seller doesn't even get to know that paypal payment was made with a CC.

I always use a CC when paying with paypal. Added buyer protection and another 1% rebate.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If the buyers check is returned for whatever reason after you mailed your coin, you are not covered under the eBay's buyers protection. If the buyer paid vial PayPal and PayPal indicates: "It's ok to ship," you are covered regardless if the buyers cc or attached checking or savings account subsequently denies the transaction.. >>

CC charge backs remain a threat to sellers. EBay/paypal will help fight the battle with a CC company but will not eat the loss if CC sides with the buyer and processes the charge back. This is the Achilles Heel for ebay sellers. >>

If a buyer ever tried to screw me that way I would report them to USPS postal inspection for mail fraud - then they are looking at jail time. A guy in the coin club did this with a fraud buyer and that buyer got in some big time trouble.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a buyer ever tried to screw me that way I would report them to USPS postal inspection for mail fraud then they are looking at jail time. A guy in the coin club did this with a fraud buyer and that buyer got in some big time trouble.
    >>

Do you really think the Postal Inspectors are going to chase down somebody over a bounced check?

The truth is that you can make a report, but in order for the Feds to even begin an investigation, there has to be multiple victims and at least $25,000 involved.
    There is plenty of that going on to keep them busy.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tiny , list the item for them in the engine block parts categoryimage >>

Surely you can't be serious?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Tiny , list the item for them in the engine block parts categoryimage >>

Surely you can't be serious? >>

it works as long as immediate payment is not turned on. If its a buy now just move it to a category that allows for checks and link the buyer to it. If they don't buy it you can move it back .

If it is an auction then in the engine block category it will sell for 99 cents image don't do that obviously

Only cherry pickers browse by category now anyway. The unwashed masses just google what they need and don't even bother to log into ebay first.

• Options
    Geez...feed someone a great straight line and they just give it a pass.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
    Ebay owns PayPal. What do you expect?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights