Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

53 1909VDB MPL HOARD (UPDATE DISCUSSION)

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2017 8:37AM

Sango, there will be no updates unless or until the numismatic media (ie) Coin World, Numismatic News, Coin Talk, etc. come forward with new information. I firmly believe there are dealers and media people out there that have information but are NOT going public for concern of legal issues. This is also true through out our society. (ie) political. Steve :)

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has there been any news on this hoard? Or has it gone back into hiding.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering too.....I was tooling around on a dealer's website and, while looking for Proof IHCs, noticed a small handful of MPLs......was wondering if this "hoard" had started to disperse slowly and quietly....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@Bochiman said:
    I was wondering too.....I was tooling around on a dealer's website and, while looking for Proof IHCs, noticed a small handful of MPLs......was wondering if this "hoard" had started to disperse slowly and quietly....

The best way to answer your question is to go to a website like collectors.com and check on the number of DIFFERENT, PCGS or NGC CERTIFIED 1909 VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cents that are available for sale. Check other MAJOR sites also. My guess is that at any given time you will find zero to two or three such coins available for purchase. If you find ANY example of this coin in a major third party certified holder, please post the information here. It would be a good discussion subject. Thanks.
    Steve :)

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two 1909 VDBs get posted in less than week apart - one at Great Collections, and one at Heritage...I think the hoard is getting released myself albeit I have nothing to base this on, other than my gut feeling. If a couple more pop up at the big late summer shows - well then thats evidence enough for me.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@WaterSport said:
    Two 1909 VDBs get posted in less than week apart - one at Great Collections, and one at Heritage...I think the hoard is getting released myself albeit I have nothing to base this on, other than my gut feeling. If a couple more pop up at the big late summer shows - well then thats evidence enough for me.

WS

Hi again Bob,
    I checked out Great Collections and Heritage that you quoted. I could not find any 1909VDB MPL listed on GC site for bid, for auction, for buy or past auction. I checked out Heritage and found a PR63 BN example currently in auction. PCGS# 83528331. If you check back to my listing of all the coins in the hoard you will note that there isn't a PR63BN listed in the hoard. If you (or anyone) has access to the October, 2014 Coin World ad showing small pictures and grades of ALL 53 coins, and you can "blow-up" the pictures to read the PCGS and NGC cert #'s you could actually have a confirmed ID if you see a coin with cert # listed on any auction or selling site.

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the finest proof 1909 VDB Lincoln cent ?
    Does this hoard contain the finest known or is it still out there ?

• Options

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

Stewart, the finest example of a proof 1909 VDB Lincoln cent is NOT still out there. You KNOW where the finest known example of a proof VDB Lincoln cent is. It isn't the Walter Childs example or the John Story Jenks example both of which were sold into this hoard. It isn't even the Tom Irwin estate example that you once owned and was later upgraded to a "+". THE FINEST KNOWN EXAMPLE OF A PROOF VDB LINCOLN CENT IS THE EXAMPLE IN YOUR COLLECTION RIGHT NOW. And you and everyone else knows it. CONGRATULATIONS!

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve said:
    I checked out Great Collections and Heritage that you quoted. I could not find any 1909VDB MPL listed on GC site for bid

greatcollections.com/Coin/450361/1909-Lincoln-Cent-VDB-PCGS-Proof-64-BN

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

Thanks Mach1ne for the link to the GC auction. The hoard has two PR64BN's in it. I have a copy of the November, 2014 adv which shows the coins and labels but I can't read the cert #'s. The GC auction does show part of the reverse label under their own sticker and that reverse label is definitely one that was used in 2016. The picture in the adv shows a reverse label used in 2014 and 2015 based on my collection. So, if this GC coin was part of the hoard, someone would have had to resubmitted to PCGS recently. I doubt that actually happened.

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Steve - I agree with you !
    FYI - I submitted my Proof 1909 VDB to CAC
    It came back with a GOLD STICKER

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold a PR66RB at Long Beach for $42,500. I lowered the price from $65K to $42,500 after the newly cherrypicked one graded PR66RB as well and sold in the Spring Baltimore auction for $42,500. Seems another dealer picked up that one at the Baltimore auction and is now asking $65K.

There has been no hint of movement on the 53-piece hoard.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the value has declined by 30% in PCGS MS66 RB based on your report EagleEye. Is this betting observed in other grades? Their might be an overhang from the hoard being reflected in the market on the higher grade pieces. I doubt it had any effect at all on the finest known just discussed.

• Options

I think $42,500 is below market - two PR66RBs sold at that level, although one was at auction and sold to a dealer. Since there are no others for sale at that level, the real market is something in between, maybe $47,500.

• Options

@EagleEye said:
    I think $42,500 is below market - two PR66RBs sold at that level, although one was at auction and sold to a dealer. Since there are no others for sale at that level, the real market is something in between, maybe $47,500.

Rick,
    I've always thought that the hobby needs to be fully aware that the market represents TWO prices for every coin, a WHOLESALE price and a RETAIL price. The ANA and the CDN intent is to attempt to publicize this to the hobby and particularly to collectors. In theory, the negotiated price between buyer and seller, assuming the buyer is a collector and the seller is a dealer, should be somewhere in between those TWO prices. Obviously, that won't be the case in EVERY transaction, but without this clear and published guide, the collector picks up a CDN price listing and expects to negotiate based on that listing. I know you have your own thoughts on this subject and I would like to hear them here if you would do so. Thanks.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2017 9:15PM

@STEWARTBLAYNUMIS said:

Stewart........

Nice to know it has a gold CAC. You have every right to be proud. And without question it is perfectly
    RD.

OINK

• Options
    deefree49deefree49 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

When Heritage sold the Wright collection of top population red matte proofs all at once, that put huge financial pressure on a very small and specific market. It was inevitable that the final sale prices would be below guide in that situation. The end result was that all the top red matte proof prices ended up taking a significant hit in the PCGS guide.

I don't believe the market is truly represented in the current guide because that single auction had an artificially increased effect. I wish Heritage had gone slower with that rare assemblage of beautiful reds and I believe if they had spread the sale over two or even three auctions, the final hammer results would be much better and the guide prices would have remained relatively unaffected.

I think this proves that if the VDB hoard of 53 coins is released and auctioned all at once, it probably will be a disaster for the seller and the market. It may take years for the prices to recover and it's conceivable they won't ever recover.

Lincoln coin lover, especially Matte Proofs
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there even any question that this hoard auctioned all at once would be a disaster for the seller?
    Just knowing that this hoard exists makes me want a 1909vdb matte proof less.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Is there even any question that this hoard auctioned all at once would be a disaster for the seller?

I would still want a pr vdb, but not pay as much now ;)

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

@ChrisRx said:

@DCW said:

It's been a few years since the hoard was announced and there have been roughly 10 VDBs auctioned since. None seem to be from the hoard and the prices have been all over the map. The last BN example sold for 2x guide. Hard to say how much this is affecting purchasing decisions.

• Options

@lusterlover said:

@ChrisRx said:

@DCW said:

It's been a few years since the hoard was announced and there have been roughly 10 VDBs auctioned since. None seem to be from the hoard and the prices have been all over the map. The last BN example sold for 2x guide. Hard to say how much this is affecting purchasing decisions.

True, but let's keep in mind this "hoard" didn't really yet "hit the market" until they are sold piecemeal.

• Options

@deefree49 said:
    When Heritage sold the Wright collection of top population red matte proofs all at once, that put huge financial pressure on a very small and specific market. It was inevitable that the final sale prices would be below guide in that situation. The end result was that all the top red matte proof prices ended up taking a significant hit in the PCGS guide.

I don't believe the market is truly represented in the current guide because that single auction had an artificially increased effect. I wish Heritage had gone slower with that rare assemblage of beautiful reds and I believe if they had spread the sale over two or even three auctions, the final hammer results would be much better and the guide prices would have remained relatively unaffected.

>

I never saw the Wright collection in person but only heard good things. I don't know if your theory would hold, but the timing was definitely off for that auction. Examples: 1) the 1910 PR66+RD price was weak yet 1 month later, another 66+RD sold for 2x the price; 2) the 1915 PR65RD price was weak yet 6 months later another one sold for almost 2x the price; 3) the 1916 in PR66RD was resold 8 months later for 50% more.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@ChrisRx said:

@lusterlover said:

@ChrisRx said:

@DCW said:

True, but let's keep in mind this "hoard" didn't really yet "hit the market" until they are sold piecemeal.

Some are implying that even knowledge of the hoard would affect prices. After that last one auctioned for 2x guide in June, the latest one this month at HA sold above guide as well. The demand still seems strong.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lusterlover said:
    Some are implying that even knowledge of the hoard would affect prices. After that last one auctioned for 2x guide in June, the latest one this month at HA sold above guide as well. The demand still seems strong.

IMHO, what does it really matter if 1 person owns 53 Mattes vs. 53 collectors owning 1 each. They have to be owned by someone right? If there is a beautiful specimen for sale and 2 bidders want it, well...

Later, Paul.
  • Options

As I've said many times before, if the collectors of Lincoln cents agree that there are now about 150 1909VDB matte proof Lincoln cents existing in PCGS or NCG holders, and 53 of those coins are part of the hoard, I believe there are at least another 100 collectors of Lincoln cent proof coins who would like to own an example of the 1909VDB MPL. What those collectors are willing to pay and/or able to pay to acquire such an example obviously drives the market for this particular coin. Recent transactions seem to indicate that the coin IS retaining a significant value (ie) in the thousands of dollars each, depending on the certified grade and appearance of each coin. JMHO. Steve :)

• Options

A decent PR65RB NGC just sold at Bonham's. Record price for a NGC at $26,910

1909 VDB PR65RB NGC

• Options

@EagleEye said:

1909 VDB PR65RB NGC

Thanks Rick for posting this recent sale of the 1909VDB matte proof Lincoln cent. This reaffirms that the values showing on the major price listings for the various grades of this rare variety are reasonably accurate despite the fact that 53 of the existing examples are in the hands of the hoarder. It will be beneficial to the hobby to get those 53 coins available for public auction again ASAP. In my opinion, it will drive further interest in this variety. Of course, if the 53 coins are somehow destroyed or "lost" for a number of years, THAT event in itself will drive further interest in this variety because then, only about 100 of the coins will be available to collectors. JMHO. Steve :)

• Options

Public auction is the worst way to sell a hoard.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:

I'm guessing it didn't cross.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazingly as far as i know the hoard is still out there. i wonder if there is a small chance these could be lost esp if the owner passes suddenly and the hoard was hidden somewhere in the walls of his house.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    amazingly as far as i know the hoard is still out there. i wonder if there is a small chance these could be lost esp if the owner passes suddenly and the hoard was hidden somewhere in the walls of his house.

or in the safe of the lawyer trying to broker the deal....

• Options

Don't know who's following, but a 67+ RD (tied for finest) is up for auction tonight. No price guide amount listed but current bid is $157K. Curious what final hammer is. Will it surpass the $258k record for the 67+RB Jenks/McCullagh coin??

• Options
  • Options

Winning bid: $172,500 ($194,062.50)

• Options

@ChrisRx said:

Took a bath huh?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

@ChrisRx said:

Took a bath huh?

A shower.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidder #4 (the high bidder) cost himself/herself at least $5,500 ($5,000 + $500 bp) by placing his maximum bid with 29 seconds remaining. That gave the underbidder, #3, TWO bites at the apple, instead of just one. Regardless, the final price is probably one #4 is very happy with, presumably well under his/her maximum bid. Just a shame that $5,500 was wasted by a poor decision on bid placement timing.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    Bidder #4 (the high bidder) cost himself/herself at least $5,500 ($5,000 + $500 bp) by placing his maximum bid with 29 seconds remaining. That gave the underbidder, #3, TWO bites at the apple, instead of just one. Regardless, the final price is probably one #4 is very happy with, presumably well under his/her maximum bid. Just a shame that $5,500 was wasted by a poor decision on bid placement timing.

Not bidding has cost me big time in the past. I never bid on an auction until its down to at least 5 seconds to go, but it does pay to have an excellant computer.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2020 7:06PM

I don’t cut it that close, just in case. I usually press “submit” with about 11 seconds to go, to help ensure my max bid gets received in time. That time usually does not allow an underbidder to see they have been outbid, with time for the underbidder to then resubmit a bid. Worst case, they get just one shot.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

GC isn't your typical auction format like eBay or HA. You're taken first to a confirmation window and then the entire page hard refreshes - which leaves little to no room for sniping. AJAX is what allows other sites to update your bids without refreshing the page.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

@mach1ne - While what you say about no sniping software that works for GC is correct, I personally bid on a lot or two almost every week on GC. So while there's no software, I have to manually "snipe" as I described above, pressing "Confirm" with about 11 seconds left on that second page. A very successful technique, and one that had the high bidder on the very expensive coin imentioned above had done, he/she would clearly have saved at least $5,500 ($5,000 + $500 bp)!

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Matte mania turned into a big fizzle. Prices will continue to decline.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PQueue said:

We will see, once the GC sale of Blay’s proof Lincolns sets the top of the market!

• Options

@Connecticoin said:

@PQueue said:

We will see, once the GC sale of Blay’s proof Lincolns sets the top of the market!

I'll be bidding on a few of those if the pricing doesn't get crazy.

Steve

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will have to try 11 seconds on GC, my 5 seconds have had a few auction recently closed screens.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    I will have to try 11 seconds on GC, my 5 seconds have had a few auction recently closed screens.

As I noted above, if you place it with about 12 - 15 seconds to go, you won't hurt yourself by placing your GC bid then. Others will still not have time to see your bid and then place another higher one for themselves. This minimizes the chance of having the lot close by the time your bid arrives, AND if you and the underbidder are within one increment of each other, and he places his max bid after you. YOU will then get the coin!

Steve