Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1877-CC Seated Liberty Half Dollar... XF40 or 45? Thoughts Sought! ***GRADE POSTED***

I'm split between the two image

It's going to grading soon. I'll make a note to post the grade here when it returns.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say closer to a 40 looking at the obverse.

The die crack on the reverse is a cool factor along with the infamous CC image
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    VF 35 to EF 40......
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xf40 nice patina
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice and crusty 40? Reverse shield shows weakness IMO.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it can go less than 40 by today's standards. I've submitted about 20 circ. Seated halves in the past year or two, all XF40 to MS61, so I have a decent feel for this series in XF-AU right now. I think this coin has solid 40 details based on my own results, but the surfaces are so choice for the grade that it might get bumped up. You also have to consider it's got fully struck head details, a big plus when looking for a 45. The only detractions are a couple of tiny pinscratches in the right obverse field and on Liberty's neck, which might make a grader say 40. In summary, I refuse to guess whether it makes 40 or 45, but it's a darn nice coin, and do let us know!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also in the 40 camp. Nice coin.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    40...but a nice one
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Xf40 nice patina >>

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    44.image

There almost seems to be some sort of light graffiti or scratches on the right of the obverse near star 11. May not grade? I'm not sure if it will. It could go to 45 but I will give it a 40 due to the scratches. JMO. It is a very nice coin. Good luck with the grading.

Bob
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose I am creating the 45 camp. This is a wonderful coin- very original with nice remaining luster that is muted by what remains on a coin after entering circulation.

Finding one like this is a difficult find. Enjoy it as it is - I hope it gets the grade it deserves

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A beautiful example of circ silver. 40 for sure, maybe 45 on a good day.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going with 40 and a chance it 35's due to the minor scratches. I submitted a 76-CC awhile back that was way stronger than this coin with rich original toning. I thought it had a shot at AU but it came back 45!
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sitting on the fence between 40 and 45 so I will go with 40. Love that nice gray color image
  • Options
    Closer to 35 then 45 but solidly a 40 that should sticker at that level.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    solid 40, maybe just enough to get the 45 by chance
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enough luster and a nice look for it be an XF45 even if the eagles feathers could be a little stronger.

But I think it gets netted down to XF40 because of the light obv pin scratches.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Enough luster and a nice look for it be an XF45 even if the eagles feathers could be a little stronger.

But I think it gets netted down to XF40 because of the light obv pin scratches. >>

I think I have a different definition of luster then others on this board. I would be surprised if that coin retains more than 5-10% of it's original luster to include the protected areas.
  • Options
    Crypto79

We can just agree to disagree on this one.image

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice original 40.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    40.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is maxed out at EF-40. The devices and surfaces look too tired to grade any higher.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call it 40 while you own it.Call it 45 when you want to sell it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    I'm going with XF40 -- although it may be a "in-between-er." I looked at the 40s and 45s in CoinFacts. This piece looks slightly better than some of the 40s, but not quite up to the 45s. In any case, this is a nice piece, with lots of contrast around the devices, and wouldn't look "silly" in a 45 holder. Congrats!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options

<< <i>Crypto79

We can just agree to disagree on this one.image >>

Sure but I guess the people who are splitting down the 40-45 level are applying modern market grading and old school technical wear based grading. That might NGC45 due to the companies different standards

While coins can be net graded up and down for different factors causing some exceptions, the baseline difference between xf40-au53 is the percentage of original mint surface remaining. Assuming a minimum of detail loss I want an XF45 to have north of 25% of luster, mint frost or remaining original surface textures (many require more). That coin looks to have very little left in the way of surface area that hasn't been rubbed off. Even if there is some gloss left or a glint in the tone in the deepest recesses, that just makes for a nice xf40.

If you think about it, the AU grades are just more or less descriptors to define how much of the original skin has not been rubbed off as really very little detail loss is allowed. The lower AU range allows a little detail loss but when it starts to look like a worn AU that is what a xf45 is. The gap to 40 is the rest of the fields get rubbed, toned or aged off. Leaving a coin with most of the major details save a few flat spots and or no mint surfaces remaining.

Once the xf40 level has been reached it all becomes about detail loss and eye appeal as those grades assume no measurable mint surface left intact.
  • Options
    Just a couple of quick comments in connection with this coin, the status of luster and surface impairment and the strike.

This coin has decent luster that remains in protected areas. If we look at the draped areas, the stars and even in the fields have the remains of die flow lines. The actual reflectivity is muted- now, if some one enhanced the coin, then the reflectivity would change the opinion that this coin has insufficient luster for an EF45 grade. And if that enhancement were done, it would look horrible...

Lets talk about the strike and the remaining detail- obverse first. The shield looks bold as does the hairline of Liberty's head. There is significant detail in the draped area with luster present. The minor scratch is off set by the originality of the coin.

The reverse is the bigger question and challenge. There is a pattern of wear that creates doubt as to whether 45 is viable. However, there is a die crack which begs questions as to the status of the die itself and whether the strike left a little to be desired in terms of the loss of details at the high points of the eagle. So while there is a pattern of wear, that wear will be exaggerated if the strike was weak. I think the reverse can be explained as a weak strike- especially if the luster in the protected areas of the feathers is considered.

I suppose the better question is... How many 1877-cc Seated Halfs that are in either a 40 or 45 holder have this look? i suspect the answer is somewhere under 30%

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is amwldcoin's CC:

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd put the luster on the OP's coin at 10-15%....plenty for an XF45. Most XF40's these days don't have ANY luster.

Reminds me of an AU58 1803 half dime I owned back around 2004. That coin had about 10-15% luster, cleaned surfaces, significant digs and scratches, and a strike to kill for. It looked unc on wear but the luster had been
    stripped off over the years from multiple cleanings. That coin was resubmitted by a major retailer where it came back MS62. A pretty lofty grade for 10-15% luster and being cleaned to boot. We're not asking for the moon on
    an XF45 seated half.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>I'd put the luster on the OP's coin at 10-15%....plenty for an XF45. Most XF40's these days don't have ANY luster.

Reminds me of an AU58 1803 half dime I owned back around 2004. That coin had about 10-15% luster, cleaned surfaces, significant digs and scratches, and a strike to kill for. It looked unc on wear but the luster had been
    stripped off over the years from multiple cleanings. That coin was resubmitted by a major retailer where it came back MS62. A pretty lofty grade for 10-15% luster and being cleaned to boot. We're not asking for the moon on
    an XF45 seated half. >>

Fair enough but the UNC rage plays by a different set of rules as well. I am pretty sure we are saying the same thing and just putting our flag in slightly different spots in the ground. I look forward to the results .
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    What a great looking coin! The story that it could tell. How long do you think it circuited for? 3 years? 5?

I'd go with a 45, but I think 3 out of 4 times, they call it a 40. Also, gotta take into acct the scratches around 2 o'clock. If they are a little troublesome in person, then a gentle net to 40 for sure.

If it was dipped blast white, it might even get a 50. But please do not do that.

Here are a few random XF - AU CC halves from Coinfacts...I think you will appreciate your coin even more. Enjoy It!
    Seth

AU50

XF45

XF40

XF40

Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 technical.

scratches/grafitti
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

One of the few grades from this submission that I'm happy with. image

Thanks for playing!
  • Options
    Congrats- I was hoping this one would get a 45...

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. I was thinking it was a 40.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Brian!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said 40. At least I was within 5 points. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Bahhhnifninhad submitted it it would have 40. Congrats glad I was wrong
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bahhhnifninhad submitted it it would have 40. Congrats glad I was wrong >>

I got lucky on this one. You should have seen the rest of the submission... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file