Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Topps Hockey: PSA Set from Scratch UPDATE: Going through the raws again

123457»

Comments

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Sakic's look real good, if the corners and surface are good on top left I could see it in a 10.
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Good progess Patrick! This has been fun to watch. If you don't have a grading membership, I can put together a small group sub like we did a few months ago. I only have about 5 cards waiting for grading. I really want to see you score some more 10's!
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For the Sakic cards, is that a fisheye in the bottom blue border stripe on the first one? If it is just dust, then that card looks worth subbing. Also, I would sub the one below it in the lower left of the pic w/ 4 of them and the lower right as well. I think the one in the upper right side in the pic w/ 4, and all the ones in the pic w/ 3, might be too OC in L/R for 10's since they seem to judge them with such scrutiny from this particular set. The color seems a bit off in the upper right one on the pic w/ 4 too.

I'd probably sub the upper left Lemieux and the lower one but skip the upper right one. I'd sub both Gretzky cards and only the Leetch on the left. I don't like the coloring of the right Leetch, looks like a fisheye low, and fading/bad printing on his name on back too.

What, no Yzerman 10's? I know it is a DP, but any Yzerman is a good one in my book!

Are you subbing Roy or Hull? >>

There are a couple fish eyes on some of these. I've seen some Sakic 10s with them, not exactly what I want but if I can get a 10, then that's be grrreat.

I have some nice looking Roy, Hull and Yzermans, just haven't gotten around to subbing them image

<< <i>Good progess Patrick! This has been fun to watch. If you don't have a grading membership, I can put together a small group sub like we did a few months ago. I only have about 5 cards waiting for grading. I really want to see you score some more 10's! >>

Thanks guys for the advice. Davis, I just heard that the October special is $5.50/card, 50 card minimum. I think we can get together another batch if you'd like image
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read through the whole thread I love reading about your progress. Keep the faith and finish that set. Always wanted a sakic rookie, just never pulled the trigger. Thx for sharing

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    Anything new?

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Get help. No, this is a great thread. Keep up the good work.
    Thank you guys. I've recently added some PSA 10s to the set. Picked up a Chelios via Dragnet and Gretzky, Yzerman and Hull from eBay.

Haven't added any self-subbed ones in awhile but that's because I haven't gotten around to subbing anything lately.

Even though I've been adding cards, my goal is still to put it together in all PSA 10 self subbed.
    Originally posted by: sportscardtheory
    How far along are you?

105/198 cards graded. Here's the breakdown:

8 - 8s

68 - 9s (eventually see myself cracking these out)

29 - 10s (20 self pulled/subbed).

The link in my sig line goes directly to the registry set. Ones that are self-subbed say so in the comments section.
  • Cool. Are you doing "master set", or just the base set? As in, will you be adding PSA 10s of all known errors/variations, or just doing base? Either way, it's awesome.
    Originally posted by: sportscardtheory
    Cool. Are you doing "master set", or just just base set? As in, will you be adding PSA 10 of all known errors/variations, or just doing base? Either way, it's awesome.

Thanks. For the moment I have my plate full with the 198 base cards. The only error is the Randy Cunneyworth and I don't think I'll pull it from a pack, but if one come up for sale I'll definitely try to get it. The box bottoms are incredibly difficult to find in high grade, but if I have any that are 10 worthy I'll try to get them slabbed. I have stickers stashed away and it should be pretty easy for me to complete that set in all 10s. Just a matter of getting them to PSA.
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Patrick,

Hard to believe you started this thread in 2014, but for what it is worth this has been the thread I have had the most interest in following since you began your quest and the one from 2015 that really kept me coming back to the forum. It's crazy projects like this that are the most fun. Keep us updated!

Thanks,

Nathanael
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely one of my favorite threads. Keep on keepin' on Patrick!
    Many thanks sirs. I am happy that others get enjoyment from this project. I will be subbing more in the upcoming months and apologize for lack of updates lately.
    I continue to be impressed by this project. I would have given up a long time ago. Your tenacity is to be commended

2,000 cardsavers arrived today. In a couple weeks I will be going through these stacks. They are about one third of the best of the best from my pulls, but of course will need further scrutiny before sending in to PSA.

Wow, lots of yummy 89 topps on that shelf. can't wait to see the outcome. Have you purchased any unopened lately?

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Holy Crap! Best of luck Patrick.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    thank you guys image

craig, I haven't purchased any unopened in awhile. Still have a few boxes. Maybe four? I want to go through all of my raw ones before loading up on wax again, if this makes sense.

• RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Good luck. Cards do look great in the card savers (without the penny sleeve especially). I just wish they weren't so darn expensive.
    Originally posted by: RookieWax

Good luck. Cards do look great in the card savers (without the penny sleeve especially). I just wish they weren't so darn expensive.

Thank you image I have always thought that it would be nice to collect raw sets in cardsavers. I think the one thing really keeping me from this is storage. I have yet to find a good cardboard storage boxes for them - even then maybe albums would be a better option.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

Originally posted by: RookieWax

Thank you image I have always thought that it would be nice to collect raw sets in cardsavers. I think the one thing really keeping me from this is storage. I have yet to find a good cardboard storage boxes for them - even then maybe albums would be a better option.

It is only a 198 card set. Try taking one of those cardsaver boxes, putting the stack of cards inside standing vertically running the length of the box. They might all fit. Then take some of your wrappers from all your pack ripping from that set and decoupage the CS1 box with the spare wrappers. Just an idea...
  • spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say how much I love this thread. Hope you never quit on this endeavor.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use The Super Vault for card savers - most of my sets are raw with PSA stars. They are just right.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Patrick!!!!!!!

Thanks for directing me to this thread! I will keep my eyes pealed for any boxes to help the cause. I will be anxiously awaiting the next update.

Kevin

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭

Any updates?

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

He got the hammer dropped on him a few months back so no update likely.

Kevin

Kevin

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Not to talk about someone that can’t defend themselves, and I probably shouldn’t even comment, but I was told this project was given up on.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Bummer on the banishment and folded on the project. I really enjoyed this thread.

• Good Evening,

Would anyone possibly know how to get in touch with MULLINS5?

Thank you.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Sakic fan, I think about this thread from time to time. Wonder what ever happened to Mullins.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was an awesome thread to follow.