Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Topps Hockey: PSA Set from Scratch UPDATE: Going through the raws again

Comments

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is not the place for this Dan. I am now asking you to stop posting to this thread. >>

Out of sheer curiousity, where is the best place to post compliments on your 1989 Hockey quest?
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great work on the Lemelin and other new additions!

I thought Dan's response to your concerns about his tone was sincere, BTW.

Keep on posting and picking up 10's.

-Nathanael

• << <i>

<< <i>This is not the place for this Dan. I am now asking you to stop posting to this thread. >>

Out of sheer curiousity, where is the best place to post compliments on your 1989 Hockey quest? >>

I mostly just read threads around here, but Mullins you need to relax. If your reaction is to get upset with anyone you perceive to be negative about your posts, maybe posting on public forums isn't for you. I commend your enthusiasm with regards to 1989 Topps Hockey, but by sharing it on a public forum people have the right to post replies as long as they are not personal attacks which was not the case here.
  • PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Mullins, have you found a Cunneyworth ERR yet?
  • In a facebook group, a guy posted the following pics of a Sakic 10 he had purchased.

Thought those might be of interest since it seemed to be a particularly tough card in your set.

No Randy error yet.

Thanks for posting the Sakic. I've been talking with him in facebook awhile.

That's a Sakic a lot of people passed on because the seller used poor pictures and the case looks compromised (top left).

The owner says the card is super sharp and he is very happy with the purchase. Planning on sending to PSA to be reholdered in the very near future.

The more I look at those corners and edges, the more it appears this card looks NM-MT to Mint according to PSA's standards, but who knows.

I like to check the cert numbers surrounding card like that. Looks like the cert number stops with that card. Weird.
  • saraceno21saraceno21 Posts: 49 ✭✭

<< <i>Mullins, have you found a Cunneyworth ERR yet? >>

Has anybody ever even seen a Cumneyworth error?
  • dgordodgordo Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Looks trimmed.

http://myworld.ebay.com/dgordo76

My current wish list:

https://forums.collectors.com/messageview.aspx?catid=27&threadid=952285&enterthread=y

Please pm me if you want to sell any of these cards.

Thanks!

Recent 20 card poppage. Looks like I'm averaging about one PSA 10 in every five cards sent through all subs.

The current breakdown is:

PSA 10 = 21
    PSA 9 = 56
    PSA 8.5 = 3
    PSA 8 = 14
    PSA 7 = 1

Recent poppage. Again, scratching my head on the 9s.. . . . . . . . ........ .. . ... ... .

I went through these REALLY well with a loupe. If they are truly not 10s then I am happy PSA is finding whatever it is I am not seeing, but when I find cards like this recent Messier that was on eBay, it kinda knocks the wind outta me.

Set is currently 10.10% complete and 178 PSA 10s to go.

24394361 MINT 9 1989 Topps 79 Al Iafrate Card
    24394362 MINT 9 1989 Topps 22 Gary Leeman Card
    24394363 MINT 9 1989 Topps 103 Tom Fergus Card
    24394364 MINT 9 1989 Topps 169 Derek Laxdal Card
    24394365 GEM MINT 10 1989 Topps 57 Michel Goulet Card
    24394366 MINT 9 1989 Topps 28 Jeff Brown Card
    24394367 MINT 9 1989 Topps 143 Peter Stastny Card
    24394368 MINT 9 1989 Topps 130 Joe Cirella Card
    24394369 GEM MINT 10 1989 Topps 74 Doug Gilmour Card
    24394370 MINT 9 1989 Topps 49 Al MacInnis Card
    24394371 MINT 9 1989 Topps 173 Ron Sutter Card
    24394372 MINT 9 1989 Topps 128 Larry Murphy Card
    24394373 MINT 9 1989 Topps 95 Paul Coffey Card
    24394374 MINT 9 1989 Topps 45 Cliff Ronning Card
    24394375 MINT 9 1989 Topps 192 Grant Fuhr Card
    24394376 MINT 9 1989 Topps 43 Jari Kurri Card
    24394377 MINT 9 1989 Topps 27 Peter Zezel Card
    24394378 MINT 9 1989 Topps 33 Petri Skriko Card
    24394379 GEM MINT 10 1989 Topps 20 Kevin Dineen Card
    24394380 MINT 9 1989 Topps 148 Paul Reinhart Card
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Looking at that Messier....that has to be a mistake. Yikes. You would be done with the set in 10's if your cards were graded like that.
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news is, by my count, you only need to submit 1200 more cards to get across the finish line.

If I were you I'd be questioning if this is the set I wanted to invest 20K and a thousand hours into building.... of all the great hockey sets this is a strange one to obsess over. To each their own but this set seems like an spectacular waste of resources, you must have very deep pockets.

<< <i>The good news is, by my count, you only need to submit 1200 more cards to get across the finish line.

If I were you I'd be questioning if this is the set I wanted to invest 20K and a thousand hours into building.... of all the great hockey sets this is a strange one to obsess over. To each their own but this set seems like an spectacular waste of resources, you must have very deep pockets. >>

This is probably a good time to mention that I'm working on a complete set of PSA graded 1989 Topps Hockey cards, all with gum stained backs image

(really)

I just love ripping packs and subbing cards. There's no satisfaction (to me) waiting for a graded card to show-up on eBay, and then purchasing it. Would rather spend that time with the cards (pulling, sorting, etc) than at the computer screen waiting for 'newly listed' items. I collected 89-90 Topps hockey as a kid...have very fond memories with this set more than any other.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Randy Cunnyworth is one of my all time favorites. A friend and I flew out to Chicago for a game and
    he had just been traded to the Hawks from the Whalers.we saw him in the hotel the Red Wings were
    staying at and he comped us two mezz seats.. This was one of the last games at the old barn and
    we didn't have tickets. We told him we were from Hartford and he said go to will call and there will be tix for you...
    Now I want that error card! I didn't think it was that tough but looks to be?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cunnyworth error hasn't ever surfaced, for anyone. Some collectors have heard about one, but I've never seen a scan of one and haven't heard of a sale of one. I am not sure how an error card that has been in Beckett since 1989 can not exist, but the same is said for the Bill McCreary error from 1968 OPC hockey.

Sorry your luck hasn't improved on submissions. I say luck because I would imagine you are being ultra diligent in submitting cards.

-Nathanael
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The good news is, by my count, you only need to submit 1200 more cards to get across the finish line.

If I were you I'd be questioning if this is the set I wanted to invest 20K and a thousand hours into building.... of all the great hockey sets this is a strange one to obsess over. To each their own but this set seems like an spectacular waste of resources, you must have very deep pockets. >>

This is probably a good time to mention that I'm working on a complete set of PSA graded 1989 Topps Hockey cards, all with gum stained backs image

(really)

I just love ripping packs and subbing cards. There's no satisfaction (to me) waiting for a graded card to show-up on eBay, and then purchasing it. Would rather spend that time with the cards (pulling, sorting, etc) than at the computer screen waiting for 'newly listed' items. I collected 89-90 Topps hockey as a kid...have very fond memories with this set more than any other. >>

I agree with you on this last part. It's more fun to open packs and submit than to hunt for graded cards on ebay. Unfortunately, I don't really have a good set to do a self-sub on.
  • Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    "Has anybody ever even seen a Cumneyworth error? "

Yes, about 15 years ago on eBay I saw one. It went for $8 and I can kick my self for not bidding higher to win it. I didn't know that I would never see another one!

Before NASCAR I use to collect Hockey, I have most sets from 1968 - 1994.
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looking at that Messier....that has to be a mistake. Yikes. You would be done with the set in 10's if your cards were graded like that. >>

I will probably get in trouble for writing this, but there a few 10's floating around ebay currently from the PSA 10 king's that really surprise me, just like this one.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!

<< <i>

<< <i>Looking at that Messier....that has to be a mistake. Yikes. You would be done with the set in 10's if your cards were graded like that. >>

I will probably get in trouble for writing this, but there a few 10's floating around ebay currently from the PSA 10 king's that really surprise me, just like this one. >>

I ended up buying this card. I just have to look at it in person.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I will probably get in trouble for writing this, but there a few 10's floating around ebay currently from the PSA 10 king's that really surprise me, just like this one. >>

I ended up buying this card. I just have to look at it in person. >>

Always cheaper to buy it from their website instead of the bay though.
  • LampyLampy Posts: 329
    whats the error on the Cunnyworth card?
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I ended up buying this card. I just have to look at it in person. >>

Not sure what in person will show, that card is OC t/b and l/r. Can't imagine that will change in hand.
    "whats the error on the Cunnyworth card?"

The error card shows him in his Pittsburgh Penguins jersey.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    this what I found

This card was mentioned in Beckett Issue 1, just a little blurb on the last page. The regular card shows him with an airbrushed Winnipeg Jets jersey over the pittsburgh jersey he was wearing in the picture (and a bad airbrush job at that, LOL), whereas the error card showed him in his pittsburgh penguins jersey without the airbrushed Jets jersey.

However, a copy of that card has never been seen so the hobby's consensus is that it does not exist. Most likely if it DOES exist it is a proof card that belongs to some Topps employee or executive with probably only 1-3 copies in existence.

In other words: forget about it, it's a mistake on beckett's part from WAY back in the day
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

• << <i>In other words: forget about it, it's a mistake on beckett's part from WAY back in the day >>

+1. It doesn't exist.
    From what I have heard by someone who has seen one (not me), the error version still has the bad airbrush job and still has the Winnipeg logo. The only difference is it says Pittsburgh Penguins as the team instead of Winnipeg Jets.
    It has the Pittsburgh Penguins logo on it.
    Updated the set (in the link in my signature line) and picked-up this BBCE 1989 box for $53.99 + $10 shipping. Box That's twice as much as BBCE sold them for when they were in stock not long ago.

I'm guessing the premium has to do partly with over half of the PSA 10 Joe Sakic cards being auctioned off the past couple months? They sold for:

$699.95 (private seller)
    $1175.00 (pwcc)
    $677 (probstein123)
    $704 (private seller)

I'm hoping this BBCE box is one that came from Steve's shop and not something someone wrapped and sent to him.

When it's here I'll rip and post pics.
    Someone gave me a link on FB today to a NET54 thread about the Error card. Seems like this sold on COMC for $23 back in 2012.

Error Card

This is the first that I have seen this error.

I will dig in my 30,000 1989 cards and see if I can find this error.

I was always under the assumption that I should be looking for Cunneyworth in a Penguins jersey.
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Start diggin'!
  • Any updates? One of my favorite threads and I hope it's not bankrupting you.

Thanks vandweller!

Crazy to think this all started a year ago. Still going strong at it, though, I took a small step back during the summer for school and family time.

Happy to get 20/198 cards in that first year. At this rate the project should keep me busy for a decade image

There are some cards at PSA that I'm hoping for 10s on. I'll update the results on those when they're here.

Did you get a chance to look at all your Cunneyworth's?

<< <i>Did you get a chance to look at all your Cunneyworth's? >>

Just the ones I have here in the house. I haven't gone through the 30,000 or so I have in storage.
    I've decided to purchase some of the key cards (Sakic, Gretzky, Lemieux, Leetch) and any that become available that are on the cheap.

I still intend to sub self-pulled cards of these pick-ups.

Under the comment section in the registry if it is a card that I self-subbed, it will say so.

This card is not in-hand yet, but it appears to be one of the nicer examples I've seen.

Lately the ones selling on eBay have been off center, touched corner or two, gum stains and one I feel PSA completely dropped the ball on.

~Anywho, here is my Sakic 'filler' image

• That's an extremely sharp 10.
    It never leaves you...
  • Love the Sakic RC. One of my favorite hockey cards
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, that card looks great! Now that you've bought one your chances of subbing your own go up exponentially. That's how it seems to work for me anywayimage
    Steve

<< <i>Love the Sakic RC. One of my favorite hockey cards >>

I love this card too, but I've always felt his shoulder pads look oddly huge in the photo.

double post
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Cheater!! (I kid). I've followed this thread from the start and think the concept is fantastic. It really just shows a love of collecting for the sake of collecting. That I applaud.

What is the ultimate plan for all the "rejects" and do you have them sorted in any fashion? You probably have enough to build an Art Deco card couch of some sort.

Continued fun and success with the journey,

Matt
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cheater!! (I kid). I've followed this thread from the start and think the concept is fantastic. It really just shows a love of collecting for the sake of collecting. That I applaud.

What is the ultimate plan for all the "rejects" and do you have them sorted in any fashion? You probably have enough to build an Art Deco card couch of some sort.

Matt >>

He's obviously going to wallpaper the entire house with them. When his wife is gone for the weekend of course. Serious, question: Has anyone done that? I was thinking of doing that on a wall in my basement with 87 Topps. When my wife is away, of course.

<< <i>

<< <i>Cheater!! (I kid). I've followed this thread from the start and think the concept is fantastic. It really just shows a love of collecting for the sake of collecting. That I applaud.

Matt >>

He's obviously going to wallpaper the entire house with them. When his wife is gone for the weekend of course. Serious, question: Has anyone done that? I was thinking of doing that on a wall in my basement with 87 Topps. When my wife is away, of course. >>

Probably a better idea to wall paper the inside of the doghouse that way...

<< <i>

<< <i>

Matt >>

He's obviously going to wallpaper the entire house with them. When his wife is gone for the weekend of course. Serious, question: Has anyone done that? I was thinking of doing that on a wall in my basement with 87 Topps. When my wife is away, of course. >>

Probably a better idea to wall paper the inside of the doghouse that way... >>

lol, thanks guys. Definitely subbing more of the cards I buy and the project will not be complete until all cards are self-pulled/subbed. Hopefully having a Sakic PSA 10 in-hand will help me in pre-grading.

The reject graded cards are part of my 'Doubles Set' which mainly consists of 9s. I'm holding onto most of these as I know I'll probably come to the point in the project where I'll have to start cracking. There are no plans for the triples that I get, but more people are starting to build this set and I may try to offer some on eBay in lots at about $2 per card so they can fill their sets, if they choose.

The ungraded rejects are in several 5,000 count monster boxes. Sakic, Leetch, Gretzky and Lemieux are in binders. Sometimes I list them on eBay for $20 for a sheet of nine and put that towards another unopened box. I have over 100 Sakics image

I thought about the wallpaper option too, lol. My fiance paper bagged our floor (google it when you have some free time) so I wonder if that would work with the cards in a future basement floor, wall, or table.
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff Patrick! Thanks for the update.
    Opened box 90 tonight. Nothing great in #90 but here are the best raw Sakic, Lemieux, Gretzky and Leetch cards that I have from the 3,240 packs. There is no snow on the cards, that is all dust. Hoping to send these in this October.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Best of luck Patrick. I'm glad to see that you have decided to purchase some 10s. I hope you decide that you don't need to self sub the ones that you purchase in a "10" ... it will save you a lot of money. If, however, you still do so, then best of luck with those as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    this is the definition of tenacity....good luck and thanks for sharing....dont let the negativity of some dissuade you from this goal...this is awesome.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i> Has anyone done that? I was thinking of doing that on a wall in my basement with 87 Topps. When my wife is away, of course. >>

mlb network studios

For the Sakic cards, is that a fisheye in the bottom blue border stripe on the first one? If it is just dust, then that card looks worth subbing. Also, I would sub the one below it in the lower left of the pic w/ 4 of them and the lower right as well. I think the one in the upper right side in the pic w/ 4, and all the ones in the pic w/ 3, might be too OC in L/R for 10's since they seem to judge them with such scrutiny from this particular set. The color seems a bit off in the upper right one on the pic w/ 4 too.

I'd probably sub the upper left Lemieux and the lower one but skip the upper right one. I'd sub both Gretzky cards and only the Leetch on the left. I don't like the coloring of the right Leetch, looks like a fisheye low, and fading/bad printing on his name on back too.

What, no Yzerman 10's? I know it is a DP, but any Yzerman is a good one in my book!

Are you subbing Roy or Hull?