Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Congratulations on the two newps, especially the super tough 14-S. I wouldn't have recognized it if you hadn't told me its history in your PM. Paesan has it exactly right.

Craig - Glad to see the pics of your 96-S. What a rarity.

Pics for this AM, a toughie from Milo's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now back to the Liberty Nickel channel....

I picked up a raw 1903 Proof Liberty Nickel a couple months ago. It came back from PCGS last week (after a nearly 2 month vacation in California) in a new PC PR 64 CAmeo holder:

I have no intent of putting a full Proof Set, but I'll take them when they come at the right price.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

The 14-S in 55 that I'm buying was the one that had a toning rim spot at 3 O'Clock
    on the Obverse - which Walt had sent to PCGS for conservation - and I think it turned
    out nicely. The only other pedigree marker is the Lint Mark at 10 O'Clock which is em-
    bedded into the surface. It's not a distraction in the least. This brings the total of Walt's
    coins in my set to seven.

Milo's 1898-S is really nice - really nice - and it was a favorite date of mine for many years
    because of Family birth year connections. What I do find amazing is how someone who is
    a fairly new player in this Barber game has had the good fortune to pick up such amazing
    coins - that 98-S is very beautifully toned and the luster booms off the surface. As Paesan
    mentioned..."with a little help from his friends". It's very true, if it weren't for contacts in
    this field (or any other field of collecting ) it's all in the contacts you have. My dear old Mom
    used to say, " it's not what you know, it's who you know ! "

Looking at Labelman87's 1896-S brings back memories of the day I found it at JJ Teaparty.
    It was at a large show - probably FUN - and I had decided to get back into collecting Barbers
    again, after having sold off the Lion's Share at the ANA in August, 2011. I stopped by to
    chat with Liz and Gail - and as usual, Liz smiled at me and asked if I wanted to see the newps
    she had amassed at the show .... Of course I did !!..... I started looking at Dimes and pulled out a
    large group I wanted prices on .... while Liz was quoting me pricing, Gail was feverishly writing
    up an invoice .... then, I mistakenly started looking at their box of Quarters....it took only a couple
    of moments before I found the 96-S Quarter in 58. I set it aside - hemmed and hawed - said I
    wanted it, but blew my budget on Dimes ( major mistake on my part - but I felt obligated because
    Gail had spent so much time writing up the invoices ... ) I think I must have sat there looking at the
    96-S Quarter for a good 20 minutes - and of course, the Gals wanted to know what my next step
    was.... I could have said "I don't want these Dimes, sorry, I'll take the Quarter instead" but, oh no,
    I said I'll make a phone call and sell the coin for you. I immediately called Craig, knowing his tastes
    I knew he'd bite .... the adrenaline rush was evident in my voice and he knew I was serious about this
    coin being "all that and a bag of chips". I'm very glad Labelman listened to me and bought the coin.
    I know he never regretted it, I have regretted that I just didn't refuse the Dimes and take the Quarter
    for myself.

Jeff - I think you did very well 1) finding a raw - basically unimpaired proof , let alone a Cameo, on eBay.
    The surfaces are so susceptible to hairlines - most non collectors really don't know how to care for them.
    2) Having PCGS to grade it a straight grade and a CAM designation. 3) Your beating Lenny in the days
    spent on vacation in the grading room. I think it's a close tie...both about 60 days. This had to be an
    Economy Submission.

I found a 1900 Nickel in an ICG 58 holder the other day. I've been searching for a 58 of that date for
    awhile now. You must have guessed by now, I'm doing MS // AU // and PR for the V Nickel sets.
    The images of the Nickel were terrible and I have taken chances before ( not as often as our friend, Jeff ).
    So, I pulled the trigger - and although I paid a more than fair price for what is actually undetermined
    quality, I think I might be ok. It's going in raw and I'll take my chances ( provided it's AU 58 quality on
    my inspection ! )

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    My latest submission to PCGS had a lot of common date Barber Dimes and a few Barber Quarters in it. With all of the amazing looking quarters posted recently I'm too embarassed to post my meager stuff. I'll post a few dimes instead. Here's another raw eBay pickup, a 1907 that came back in a 58 holder:

Not nearly as striking as the coins in many recent posts, but still a nice natural looking dime.

• Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa
    ******Breaking News*******

On the Everyman's Barber Half front Brad Spelt passed Darrell to the top spot by 1/100 of a point. Just in time for the awards! Brad just received a LOT of 58+ grades; it makes me dizzy! I feel bad for Darrell-if I had a plus Half I would throw it his way, but I don't. Can anyone help out a Board member?

An update.... Darrell no longer needs 1 58+ to take over the top spot in the Everyman's Barber Half race- he needs 8 of them. Cornhusker posted another bucnch; he now has 26 AU 58+ coins in the set. Perhaps a perfect AU 58+ set isn't out of the question after all. I would sure like to take a look at the set, but Nebraska is a long way away......
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    My latest submission to PCGS had a lot of common date Barber Dimes and a few Barber Quarters in it. With all of the amazing looking quarters posted recently I'm too embarassed to post my meager stuff. I'll post a few dimes instead. Here's another raw eBay pickup, a 1907 that came back in a 58 holder:

Not nearly as striking as the coins in many recent posts, but still a nice natural looking dime.

Nice coin. MFH has some history with this date in 58. In fact the first day I met him, I bought a 1907 in 58 for my Everyman type set, turns out it was a date he needed badly, he had missed it at a show. Turns out the old codger already had an 07 in 58 but had lost it in his house. ??
  • Options
    Originally posted by: valente151

MFH has some history with this date in 58. In fact the first day I met him, I bought a 1907 in 58 for my Everyman type set, turns out it was a date he needed badly, he had missed it at a show. Turns out the old codger already had an 07 in 58 but had lost it in his house. ??

Hhmmm....... I'm tempted to offer to clean Mike's house for him. image
  • Options
    All SwedeAll Swede Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Mike,

* Thanks for the kind words regarding the 98-S in 55. I am very happy with it's deeper toning and strong luster in the center part of the obverse and especially the reverse.

* I am also a very lucky guy to know people like Paesan, Vern, Dave Kahn, Liz & Gail, etc. Your mother was oh so right as it matters who you know in what matters to you.

* I'll bet Craig is also thinking in "you better believe it matters who you know" when he reminisces about getting that phone call from you regarding the 96-S in 58. You are a good friend indeed Mike.

Jeff - Great pick-up of the 07 dime raw and getting certified in 58. That would not be an easy task ... good job.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options

That rotten little kid has a memory like a steel trap.

Yes, the missing 07-Phila Dime was in a PC 58 holder:
    I have since replaced it with another 58 & a MS 63 Rattler
    with a Gold CAC sticker ( ex: CRO ) ... still, I would love to
    know WTH I ever did with my first one.

Now: I think Valente151 needs to post a few of his images
    that he's taken either for me or for SROTAG.... I'm sure he
    has a few favorites - none of which are mine I'm afraid. It's
    hard to do any comparisons with the # 1 & # 2 sets and some
    one much further down the ranks.

I think Valente should post SROTAG's 1903-S Dime - which I bid
    on for SROTAG when the Dime was on the block. It was a lot of
    fun hitting the bid button over and over to blow away all the other
    bidders. Never had that happen before. What he ended up with was
    a POP TOP / POP ONE - which is just an amazing coin.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: All Swede

Jeff - Great pick-up of the 07 dime raw and getting certified in 58. That would not be an easy task ... good job.

I actually submitted 2 raw 1907 Barber Dimes- both came back as AU 58. The other one is up for sale on eBay. The AU common date dimes aren't worth much, but they can be tricky to find!

Another one of my raw submissions was a 1914- another common date. It also returned as an AU 58:

Yep, another eBay purchase from bad photos. Not as nice as the '07, but a keeper.

Milo- I love the look on the '98 S Quarter as well. It's the look everybody seems to love......image

I would love to see the coin in hand.

• Options
    Jeff - Congrats on the grade of your '03 proof. Very good looking coin.

Mike - Having to decide between a nice group of dimes or the 96-S qtr in 58 is a no lose situation IMO. Either way you win. And congratulations on the 1900 V Nickel newp.

Jeff - Your '07 is about as mark free as a dime can get, whether AU58 or MS64. Nice.
    Also, you've presented an interesting topic with your adjustment of the white balance on the pics of Milo's 98-S qtr. Does one want pics to look as much as possible like the coin in hand, or be enhanced to be easier to view? My goal with all the pictures I take is to have them look like the coin in hand as much as my limited photographic skills allow. To me, your adjustment makes the coin look washed out, not vibrant, like it does in hand.

Darrell - I guess your task is larger than I had earlier imagined. Good luck.

Pics for this AM for Mike's benefit, from Jim's "No Headlight" collection, PC40:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern-

I was looking at your photos Milo's quarter on my desktop screen last night; they were really dark. That's why I lightened them. Today I'm viewing on my phone and your photos of the coin look great, and my "retouching" pictures look washed out as you say.

I agree with you completely that photos should represent reality, not fantasy.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim, Dibs on that 97-O!
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: paesan
    Jim, Dibs on that 97-O!

See, Lenny, even Vern said he posted the 97-O
    for my benefit !! "Keep a you hands off " lol

I know where you live and I'll take Max with me....

Forget about it, I'll take the 97-O gladly, it's the last 40-53
    Half I need. I have a nice 30 for you Paesan !! You're
    not collecting the series - just playing. Maybe I should
    check out the Registry... I might be in for a surprise !!

All in fun...but try telling that to Max !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Jim has no intentions of selling the '97 O Half. I found it the most difficult coin to find in XF/ AU condition. Mike, keep looking under every rock- eventually I found mine!

Another Barber Dime from my recentraw find Economy submission, a 1914 D that also came back as an AU 58:

I like these little Dimes when the photos are blown up, but my eyesight isn't good enough to appreciate them much in hand.

• Options
    Originally posted by: paesan
    Jim, Dibs on that 97-O!

You had a nice one and sold it, remember? No soup for you!
  • Options
    Jeff, I was being nice when I sold it!

Mike, I'll get in line behind you.

Paesan
  • Options

Although the 53 has a couple of minor scratches, it appears to me to be a nicer coin than the 58. I think the 53 is under graded; I'm thinking of cracking it out and re-submitting it raw.

I did crack out this 1886 AU 53 5C and submitted it raw as a Regular submission to PCGS. The grades posted last night- it's now in a 55 holder. Not the 58 I was hoping for, but an improvement. I'll likely keep my 58 and sell this one, even though I think this one looks nicer. Damn those Registry points!
  • Options
    All in fun, Paesan....

Jeff...I have an 1886 V Nickel in 58 .... Ex: PCI Green holder AU 53.....
    and I like your 55 much more. I think it's a 58, based on my coin !!
    I also have a spare 1886 Nickel that Valente showed me .... But there is
    something wrong with it !!

My Normal 1886:
    Images by BluCCPhotos - Todd:

Images by John Baumgart - MessyDesk:

The Error 1886:
    Images by Valente151:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MFH
    Jeff...I have an 1886 V Nickel in 58 .... Ex: PCI Green holder AU 53.....
    and I like your 55 much more. I think it's a 58, based on my coin !!
    I also have a spare 1886 Nickel that Valente showed me .... But there is
    something wrong with it !!

My Normal 1886:
    Images by BluCCPhotos - Todd:

The Error 1886:
    Images by Valente151:

It looks like you tried to slide Miss Liberty off the planchet. Cool!

• Options
    Paesan & Mike - I'm a big fan of Jim's 97-O as well.

Jeff - Congrats on the upgrade of your '86 Nickel. Personally, I'd keep the one I like the look of most, regardless of the number on the slab.

Mike - That's a wonderful '86 V Nickel error.

Pics for this AM, from Milo's collection, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow this thread is really moving!

Verne, Yes I am a bit eclectic!

I'll reserve my opinions on Brad's set until I am able to see what his coins look like. I almost wonder if PCGS is loosening their standards on 58+'s or if Brad spent an insane amount sending coins in express several times.

I will say this, almost every coin Mike,Verne,David Kahn and several others felt should +'s PCGS did not +!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern has first shot at the 97-O half if I ever upgrade. He was kind enough to sell it to me. I agree with Jeff, it's the most difficult XF AU coin in the set.
  • Options
    Another Barber Dime from my recent raw Economy submission, a 1898 PC AU 55:

Not a 58, but still a nice looking coin. Another common date- yawn.image

• Options
    Originally posted by: No Headlights
    Vern has first shot at the 97-O half if I ever upgrade. He was kind enough to sell it to me. I agree with Jeff, it's the most difficult XF AU coin in the set.

Welcome, Jim. We've been admiring your set for awhile now; yes, I think we all agree, the
    1897-O is the Key of the 40-58 Barber Halves.

Happy hunting !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Darrell, Of course they are going to loosen their standards. Business is business, and they need the coins coming in. I wouldn't take it to heart, though. Plenty of my 58s are nicer than my plusses. Plenty of my 55s are nicer than my 58s. So rank and grade are relative things, and liking what you've got is the important thing, and I'm sure you love your 58 set!

Paesan
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome Mike! I recently retired and have had more time to spend on the forum.

Thought i might chime in once in awhile. The hunting is half the fun in my opinion isn't it?

Jim
  • Options
    Welcome, Jim! How's fishing?
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I don't think that I can sell you the 14-S image I think I promised Walt that I would keep it forever.

PC58

Craig

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    We now have new top Barber Half Registry Sets just updated today. These are fabulous sets and come in just behind the Duckor set in points, but ALL coins are CAC? That is amazing. Many MS 67 and 68 coins in the set, including some of my coins sold at auction back in January. Take a look. Many coins have photographs and the coins are very nice. Well done Perfection!
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Jim - welcome and good luck all you future hunts!!

Craig - 96-S in 58 ... then 00 in 58 CAC with DEEP toning ... looking forward to the next pics.

Jeff - keep knocking down the commons in your Barber dime set. I'm sure your set isn't boring.

Milo

• Options
    Originally posted by: DrPete
    We now have new top Barber Half Registry Sets just updated today. These are fabulous sets and come in just behind the Duckor set in points, but ALL coins are CAC? That is amazing. Many MS 67 and 68 coins in the set, including some of my coins sold at auction back in January. Take a look. Many coins have photographs and the coins are very nice. Well done Perfection!

Peter - Perfection Sets in all Barber Series are well Perfection !
    ...he is only going with POP top coins that are CAC approved. He's passing
    up higher graded coins in favor of these CAC'd coins. I know he's fine tuning
    his sets - and has exquisite tastes. Recently a mutual friend upgraded three
    Quarters from Mr. Perfection - and they are stunning. I only have imaged one,
    the 1902-O in PCGS 66+ CAC....

imageimage

This, and other True Viewed Quarters are listed below.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Craig - Don't make me bring MAX up to Atlanta !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

In all seriousness, My friend and Photographer Valente151 spent last weekend
    at SROTAG's home imaging coins - and he's working on those images as I type this.
    He's also hard at work finishing my images as well, taken a month or so ago.

I spoke with SROTAG this morning and he is fine with my posting his Barbers -
    so, I'll start with the True Views of his Dimes. The majority of his Dimes have not
    been edited yet - and I'll add images as they are available.

Ok, folks, "hang onto your hats, its gonna be a bumpy ride".....

1892-S PCGS 66+

1894-O PCGS 66

1897-S PCGS 66

1898- Phila PCGS 66

1898-S PCGS 66

1901-O PCGS 66+

1901-S PCGS 64 - Images below:
    { A new upgrade hasn't been imaged for publication yet : MS 67+ Images forthcoming}

Hands down, my favorite:

1903-S PCGS 67 - POP ONE TOP POP

1906-S PCGS 66

1908-S PCGS 64+

1909-S PCGS 64

1916-S PCGS 66+

That's it for now folks...when the 01-S in PCGS 67+ gets edited by Valente151 - I'll
    edit this post ...
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Geeezzz- couldn't you have posted a picture of at least 1 crummy looking dime so I don't feel so bad about my coins?
  • Options
    Lenny.I completely agree!

Dang Mike...Awesome!
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Labelman, I love that 1900 and miss it dearly. One of the ones I wish I would've included in the small group that I kept. Really glad to see it in such a great collection though!

MFH, those dimes are unreal. I think the 03 S might be my favorite. Man, what a group.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Geeezzz- couldn't you have posted a picture of at least 1 crummy looking dime so I don't feel so bad about my coins?

Ok, I'll post a few of my Dimes, that'll make you feel better. None of mine can hold a candle
    to SROTAG 's Dimes.

I got two Dimes CAC'd today....my new 1892 - Phila in PC 58 & my new 16-S in 58
    were approved today.

Jeff... This 1893-S came out of my Old Raw Dansco album... I believe its in Beancounter 1's
    Registry Set now...{ PCGS 55 }

Oh, I'm sorry, you said one crummy looking Dime.....image...Do I - or did I ever have
    a Crummy Looking Dime ...Maybe Valente will pipe up and say something about whose
    been buying my coins for me - either one of two of his closest friends at the ANA Summer
    Seminar .... this really is too funny - but its an inside joke, Sorry.

Ok...the lowest graded coin I either own or have owned:

I can't think of one that bad - but !!! Located the missing 1907 Dime [ in my Images ]
    I still have not located the real deal...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Continuing on with SROTAG's True View Images .... Now, Quarters: { All PCGS }

1893-P MS 64

1896-O MS 64+

1899-S MS 64+

1900-O MS 67 - "oh my God"

1902-O MS 66+ { shown previously }

1905-P MS 66

1905-O MS 65+

1907-D MS 64

1908-O MS 66 +

1909-O MS 64

1913-S MS 64

1914-D MS 65

1916-D MS 66+ { newp } { CAC }

I neglected to jot down all the CAC coins. Will remedy same asap.

My favorite has got to be the new 1900-O in MS 67. WOWZA !!!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jim - Glad to see you here in the forum.

Jeff - Nothing wrong with common dates. Always glad to see your posts.

Paesan - Agree with you 100%.

Craig - Walt doesn't keep anything forever, so you shouldn't have to either.

Dr Pete - Pretty amazing set, well done Perfection.

Mike - Great bunch of pics you posted. "Oh my God" sums up the 00-O qtr very well. Tremendous eye appeal.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, toughie from Milo's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Been gone a few days and come back to a fantastic show of coins, thanks for taking the time to post them.

Jeff - Haven't seen you post anything that's hard to look at, you especially have a great eye for the raw coins.

Dave

• Options

Milo....Your 1901-O Quarter should be in a 45+ holder.
    It's one of the nicer 45's I have seen....along with Glen M's
    1896-S ... Both are super coins for the grade.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - All I can say is "what a show!!" Tremendous coins - that 00-O is beyond spectacular. Great job sharing the pics with everyone.

Paesan - I also completely agree with you. I hope the "+" notation stands to a true, higher standard for years to come and it doesn't degenerate to being just another gimmick in time ... that would be a shame.

Milo

• Options

Milo... ITS SHOW TIME !!!

Here are the True Views from Srotag's Half Dollar Set
    1892-O PCGS 64

1894-P PCGS 66

1895-S PCGS 64

1897-O PCGS 66+ { A coin so nice, I'd have to throw away my other Barber Halves ! }

1900-O PCGS 66

1903-O PCGS 65

1903-S PCGS 66

1908-D PCGS 66

1908-S PCGS 64+

1910-P PCGS 66

1910-S PCGS 66

1911-P PCGS 66

1911-D PCGS 65

1912-D PCGS 63 - On the chopping Block as soon as a nicer one shows up.

1913-D PCGS 66

1913-S PCGS 66

1914-S PCGS 66

There are other images of other dates on the Registry Sets - but
    I was only concerned with the True Views for now. Valente151 is
    hard at work editing his images. I will post other images once his
    task has been completed.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, Those sure are some beautiful coins. I definitely can't compete there, but if I could, I think I would focus on true numismatic rarities instead of sets of top-pop coins. I've always been fascinated by coins that have a known population of about 20-50 pieces, whether that was the mintage or they've all been melted down save a few. Would be neat to have s few boxes of coins like that. (94-S dime, e.g.)

Paesan
  • Options
    A recent PCGS Regular submission arrived in the mail today; it took 3 1/2 weeks to grade. One of the coins was a raw eBay purchase- a 1900 Barber Half. When I bought it I thought it might be an MS coin- it came back in an AU 58 holder:

I already have a PC AU 58 that I purchased at a Heritage Auction a few years back:

A question to the crowd- which one do you prefer? I'll keep one in my set and sell the other. I'm on the fence as to which one I prefer....image

• Options
    Jeff, I prefer #1, better strike, fewer marks.
  • Options
    Hands down the 1st coin Jeff!

Mike,Mr. Backwards Gator is definitely picking up some nice coins!
  • Options
    1st coin Jeff.

Lenny, haven't been to Canada yet, but will email some photos on my return.

Mike, that 97-0 half is breathtaking! If I only owned one barber half........

Happy 4th to all.

Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file