Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just the Tippett

I'm posting this at the behest of a few of my friends on these boards. A few months ago I had decided Andre Tippett would be the focus of my first football player collection. The reason was simple: Andre was my favorite player when I was growing up, and a HOFer on otherwise abysmal Patriots squads. I set the following goals for myself:

1. Collect at least one autographed Tippett card

2. Obtain a PSA or BGS graded copy of his rookie card

3. Complete his PSA Basic Set composite, in raw form for financial reasons

If I stumbled upon other Tippett cards not on this list while in pursuit of the cards above, I'd grab those too, but the focus was the cards above. Since I happened to obtain 4 of Tippett's 9 cards in 1992 Pro Line Profiles in a trade with LarkinCollector, I added one more goal:

4. Complete Tippett's 9 card series in 92 Pro Line Profiles

I had somewhere between 15-20 Tippett cards already in my collection when I started and between COMc, trades with Kyle and WhiteTornado, and the generosity of a few board members, especially lawnmowerman, I made quick work of my list. Finally all I needed to complete my goals was Tippett's 1994 Finest card. In response to my BST thread, elsnorto sent me these, which I received yesterday:

That's the Finest base on the left, and refractor version on the right. Thank you Scott, for your generosity. The primary focus of this thread is to thank you, Matt, Kyle, Phil, and all the other board friends that helped me build this player collection and accomplish my goals. But in celebration, and by request, I will also be posting my Tippett collection in its entirety. I hope that's okay with everybody, because I know not everybody is interested in this. Here we go.....

Comments

• Options

This autograph was sent to me by Matt, FREE, along with many other Tippett cards. I already had a football that I had Tippett sign in person at an event, along with Steve Grogan, Michael Haynes, Sam "Bam" Cunningham," Ronnie Lippett and longtime radio play-by-play man Gil Santos. But I didn't have any single-signed Tippett items and no autographed cards of his. I was extremely happy to add this to my collection and it's one of my favorite cards I own.

These are copies of Andre's 1984 RC, 1985 and 86 Topps issues. I plan to sub the middle and right copies of the RC, to check off that final goal.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Dan!

I've never done a "player" set.

If I did? It would be Duke Snider.
    Mike
  • Options

I love the 87 Topps cards, especially the Pats team card that shows Tippett tackling Marcus Allen. The Starting Lineup card is beat to hell, but I got it when I was 7, so it has sentimental value. I still have the figurine too, which is sitting on my office shelf, next to the signed football I mentioned earlier.

I've always loved the artwork on those early 90s Upper Deck team checklists. Also really fond of those gold cards, the Pats team leader card from 92 Bowman.

Love those GameDay tallboy cards.
  • Options

1992 Pro Line Profiles was an odd set for sure. Home of the infamous "strangely erotic" Tippett card, which Phil (White Tornado) liked so much that he BEGGED me to send him my dupe! All kidding aside, there are some cool cards in the set too. I like the photo of Andre in his high school uniform, and I learned more about his love of karate. He owns black belts in 3 different styles of karate and operated a karate school for kids in Massachusetts. I wonder if he still does.

I like that I have the gold version of Tippett's 92 Topps card. I ripped many packs in middle school hoping to pull that very card.

Action Packed were a cool issue, and here's another one of those awesome GameDay cards.

This last scan has some attractive issues, I think. Love the 1993 Ultra design, with the diagonal black marble at the bottom. Also the 1994 Fleer below it, with the gold facsimile auto. And I only own one post-retirement Tippett card, so I'm glad that one commemorates his HOF induction in 2008.

Edited to add: I just noticed that the 93 ultra and 08 topps chrome use the same photo of Andre beating a Rams blocker. Strange, since they're different companies.

That's it guys, thanks for indulging me! I know most of these cards are commons to most collectors, but they mean a lot to me, as does the kindness of board members who helped me "finish" my player collection. I put that in quotes because I will still happily add other Tippett cards to my collection. But as soon as I sub the RCs my original goals will have been accomplished and I won't be as obsessed with hunting his cards as I have been. Thanks again.
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations Dan!

I've never done a "player" set.

If I did? It would be Duke Snider. >>

Thanks Mike! The Duke would be a hell of a player to collect. I have a 1951 Bowman Brooklyn Dodgers team set on the PSA registry. This week I've acquired 2 more to get to 25%. But a high end (for the grade) PSA 4 Snider is one of the 2 major hurdles I'll need to clear to complete the set. A similar Campanella is the other main obstacle.
  • Options
    Very nice on the team set Dan.

I was a Brooklyn fan as a kid.

Maybe sometime we should start a Brooklyn thread.

I would start a Snider thread but not sure how many would be interested.

I'm waiting for a Toppsvault item to come in - it's a page from the 63T exemplar album - there's 3 cards per page - I picked up the one with Snider. I wanted the one with the Stargell RC, but it went way over my head!

I do have the original art that Topps used for the inset photo of Snider in the 63T set. I missed when they sold the final negative for the card tho.

I also have the Press Pins for the 55 and 56WS along with a 55WS program - Brooklyn copy.

I could go on but I don't want bore everyone! image
    Mike
  • Options
    Wow, sounds like you ALREADY HAVE started a Snider collection! What do you mean "would"?? Lol
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Dan, congrats on your fantastic Tippett collection. Thanks for sharing. I love following the progress of your collection.
  • Options
    Dan - how many cards are on the Tippett checklist? Looks like a serious collection!
    Mike
  • Options
    Including dupes, I've got about 100 Tippett cards. I didn't try to tackle his master set, because a quick glance seemed to confirm that the early 90s boom resulted in a ridiculous number of autos and parallels, etc. but I will say that there are plenty of cards you see here that aren't on the basic set list, like the profiles cards, or the gold Bowmans, or the "predator" 89 score card, or the GameDay tall boys. So I guess I settled in the middle between basic and master
  • Options

<< <i>Including dupes, I've got about 100 Tippett cards. I didn't try to tackle his master set, because a quick glance seemed to confirm that the early 90s boom resulted in a ridiculous number of autos and parallels, etc. but I will say that there are plenty of cards you see here that aren't on the basic set list, like the profiles cards, or the gold Bowmans, or the "predator" 89 score card, or the GameDay tall boys. So I guess I settled in the middle between basic and master >>

Wow!

Guess it is time to call it.

You're also doing the Yaz AND a new player? I still haven't finished my 63F set and I've been working on 67 cards for 10 years!
    Mike
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Very nice job Dan. Congratulations.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    With Tippett now on the back burner, here are my current projects, since you asked:

PSA Gino cappelletti master set
    PSA Yaz master set
    PSA 1951 Brooklyn Dodgers team set
    PSA 1974 Red Sox team set
    Raw 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set

I don't expect any of these to be quick. Probably Cappelletti will be done first, since it's currently 12 items. The Yaz master, which is my true collecting passion, is a lifelong project and I realistically will never reach 100%

Edited to add: my Yaz collecting is more comprehensive than just the graded master set. I have hundreds of raw cards including game used relic cards, autos, and oddball things like those Yaz puzzle backs I showed from 1968, 69 and 72.
  • Options

<< <i>With Tippett now on the back burner, here are my current projects, since you asked:

PSA Gino cappelletti master set
    PSA Yaz master set
    PSA 1951 Brooklyn Dodgers team set
    PSA 1974 Red Sox team set
    Raw 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set

I don't expect any of these to be quick. Probably Cappelletti will be done first, since it's currently 12 items. The Yaz master, which is my true collecting passion, is a lifelong project and I realistically will never reach 100% >>

Good stuff Dan - I like what you're doing.

I have a set like the Yaz - the T3 - I'm at 26% - I did just pick up an HOF'er - will post when it comes in. I'll be working on this set till the end!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>image

This autograph was sent to me by Matt, FREE, along with many other Tippett cards. I already had a football that I had Tippett sign in person at an event, along with Steve Grogan, Michael Haynes, Sam "Bam" Cunningham," Ronnie Lippett and longtime radio play-by-play man Gil Santos. But I didn't have any single-signed Tippett items and no autographed cards of his. I was extremely happy to add this to my collection and it's one of my favorite cards I own.

These are copies of Andre's 1984 RC, 1985 and 86 Topps issues. I plan to sub the middle and right copies of the RC, to check off that final goal. >>

Those 1986's are sweet. They don't make'em like they use too.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    The cards look great together Dan. The Gamedays are definitely my favs from the bunch.

Thanks for sharing your collection.
  • Options
    Thanks Matt, I really appreciate your help!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The cards look great together Dan. The Gamedays are definitely my favs from the bunch.

Thanks for sharing your collection. >>

+1, though some of those cards look familiar image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The cards look great together Dan. The Gamedays are definitely my favs from the bunch.

Thanks for sharing your collection. >>

+1, though some of those cards look familiar image >>

Hey, I gave you credit above!
  • Options
    For all you GameDay fans, look what I found today in my collection. Forgot I had this set. This page includes the man.

• Options
    Love the McDonald's sheet. I bought a whole stack of the Cowboys team set a few years back. I think I still have the only three Emmitt 10's graded.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Great read. There are some really tremendous people on these boards - the reason I log on almost every day.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    I love them too. I have the 3 national pages and the 3 Patriots team pages. But I would never perforate them. One thing I like about this sheet is that the photo on this Tippett is different than the one on his regular issue GameDay card the same year, pictured towards the bottom of page one of this thread.

Trivia question: 3 QBs were included in the 18 card Patriots team set. One is Zolak, pictured here, and another was prized #1 pick rookie Drew Bledsoe. Who was the 3rd QB?
  • Options
    Not sure if Tony Eason was still around in 93? I'll guess him.
  • Options
    Answer: the immortal Scott Secules.

Btw Matt, does Andre Tippett approve of this thread? image
  • Options

<< <i>Answer: the immortal Scott Secules.

Btw Matt, does Andre Tippett approve of this thread? image >>

Lol. I'm sure he does.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Great looking set Dan. Congrats on meeting your goal with the collection. image
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Thanks Nate! You were one of the people insisting I start a thread like this.
  • Options
    I know most of these cards are nothing special to most of you. But a couple of board members have suggested I update this thread, so I hope the rest of you don't mind. I picked up a dozen new cards and have many more on a wish list. Here are the new ones:

Here we have a 1991 Pro Line Portraits, 92 All World, 92 Pro Set Power, 93 Pro Line Live, 93 Skybox Premium, 94 Skybox Impact. In keeping with the Pro Line tradition, this card (top left) is "strangely erotic." Still not as bad as the glamour shot I made fun of earlier.

These 3 cards look the same at first glance. On the left is one of my several copies of his 1993 Fleer card. In the middle is his 93 Fruit of the Loom, also made by Fleer. Thankfully he's not modeling their product. On the right is his 93 FACT Fleer Shell card. Looks like the regular Fleer on the front, but the back has a Shell logo, a different card number, and replaced the football verbiage with anti-drug messages.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Tippett cards!

looking through this thread has been very fun, I love the McDonalds GameDay cards, bringing back some blasts from the past as far as Pats Players!

Thanks for posting
  • Options

On the left is his regular 1993 Stadium Club, which I already owned. The new addition on the right is the Members Only parallel. There are 2 other parallels of this card that I need: "First Day" and "Super Teams Super Bowl." I don't know much about the latter one. If you have either of these available, please let me know.

These are from 1993 Wild Card. The one on the left is #146B, with his last name correct on the front. I still need #146A with his last name misspelled "Tippet." Again, please let me know if you have that one. On the right is the "Super Chrome" parallel. This was only issued with the correct name spelling.

Saved my favorite new addition for last: 1993 Topps FantaSports. This card is oversized, which I really dig, and I love the black and gold design.

I recently decided to take my Tippett collecting to another level. I have a wish list of 45 Tippett cards and stickers that I'd like to add to my collection. If any of you are willing to check whether you have any of them, I'm happy to email you the list. I also am always interested in any Tippett autographed cards.

I know this thread doesn't appeal to many of you. Though Tippett is a HOFer, his cards are usually considered commons. But I appreciate you looking at this thread, if you did.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These 3 cards look the same at first glance. On the left is one of my several copies of his 1993 Fleer card. In the middle is his 93 Fruit of the Loom, also made by Fleer. Thankfully he's not modeling their product. On the right is his 93 FACT Fleer Shell card. Looks like the regular Fleer on the front, but the back has a Shell logo, a different card number, and replaced the football verbiage with anti-drug messages. >>

I dig little variations like this, neato.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Great collection of Tippett cards!! I know he is in the Hall Of Fame, but still a underrated player in my opinion.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words, fellas!
  • Options
    Well done, Dan.

I always loved the 1992 All World... I am a sucker for anything U.S. flag themed. In fact, I actually put together a master set from this release. Too bad 1992 was such a bad year for rookies. All World was relatively limited, had a great design, and offered shots at Jim Brown & Joe Namath autographs before autographs were as commonplace in the hobby as they are now.

I also really liked the GameDay cards... I think they won best release when they debuted in 1992. Fleer snapped them up pretty quick, but the product died after its 1993 & 1994 release. Of course they also put out the McDonald's cards as well.

The FantaSport cards are sharp and very limited compared to regular products. They are tough to find in high grade with the unforgiving black borders and often times corner damage from the way they were packed in the binder.

The oddball stuff is, in my opinion, the best part about being a player collector! image

I look forward to seeing what else you dig up from Mr. Tippett.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Like seeing updates for player collector threads...

That Wild Card Chrome was a stand-alone product so is that considered a parallel? I mean, it is a parallel of the base card but I always thought a parallel had to come from the same product.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Some nice pickups, Dan image. Nice there are so many other issues of his that you can collect. One thing I find tough when dealing with cards from that era is that they didn't always mark the refractors explicitly, like they do now. On some of them, the base card looks as shiny as the refractor, at least to me image
  • Options

<< <i>That Wild Card Chrome was a stand-alone product so is that considered a parallel? I mean, it is a parallel of the base card but I always thought a parallel had to come from the same product. >>

Oh ok. I didn't know much about the chrome set, but was just going by the fact that Beckett lists it under the regular set as a multiplier. Of course, that's how they list the SC Members Only, and those were a completely separate product not distributed in regular packs. Thanks for the info.

Scott, I don't know much about the FantaSports either. What do you mean about them being "packed in the binder"? How were they distributed?
  • Options

<< <i>One thing I find tough when dealing with cards from that era is that they didn't always mark the refractors explicitly, like they do now. On some of them, the base card looks as shiny as the refractor, at least to me image >>

I know what you mean about 90s refractors. I can only tell when they're held side by side
  • Options

<< <i>

The oddball stuff is, in my opinion, the best part about being a player collector! >>

I agree whole heartedly snorto. Nohing better than finding a tough oddball or even one you had no idea existed.

Good stuff Dan! Thanks for taking the time to post it.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Dan, it is fun following your player threads. They are detailed and done with enthusiasm. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>Dan, it is fun following your player threads. They are detailed and done with enthusiasm. Thanks for sharing. >>

Thank you, that's very kind! I'm glad the enthusiasm shows through, because player collecting is the portion of the hobby I'm most passionate about. Stay tuned for 2 nice additions in my Yaz thread later this week image it's been a while since you updated your Reds thread. I hope that's coming soon! Lots of fun.
  • Options

<< <i>That Wild Card Chrome was a stand-alone product so is that considered a parallel? I mean, it is a parallel of the base card but I always thought a parallel had to come from the same product. >>

True enough, Wild Card and Wild Card Superchrome were separate releases, however the checklist is the exact same... so it is essentially a parallel.

Another example would be the late 90's Pinnacle vs. Pinnacle Premium Stock. Separate products, but Premium Stock is considered a hobby-only parallel.

I think as long as the checklist is the same, it would be considered a parallel.

I don't recall ever coming across a definition that included they must be from the same package... which isn't to say Beckett or SCD haven't stated as much... just that I don't recall seeing it. image

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>Scott, I don't know much about the FantaSports either. What do you mean about them being "packed in the binder"? How were they distributed? >>

FantaSports was basically a fantasy football game available only in select cities. Participants could buy the kit for something like $200 if memory serves.

It all came in a beefy plastic binder with game instructions, roster sheets, and of course the cards (game pieces) put into a flimsy cardboard box without any sort of protection.

I couldn't find a picture of the binder and mine is packed away somewhere, but here is the box that contained the cards and sat in a molded section of the binder:

Often times these sets are like bricks if they've sat untouched for too long and, as you can imagine, the black surface is not forgiving when trying to pry them apart.

The concept never took off... nor did the cards (astute player collectors aside). Over-sized cards have always been a bit of a tough sell in the modern hobby for some reason.

Snorto~

• Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    This is a Fantastic thread ---- Thanks for sharing your collection
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    OK, people seem to enjoy this thread, so I'll keep updating it. Received a bunch more cards in the mail from a COMC purchase.

This is the one I'm most excited about. These were given out by Leaf at the 2013 National. I don't know how many sets were printed, but it's not a ton. I think it's a cool looking card and I'm glad to have it, considering I've never been to the National.

Some of these have been shown before, but 2 of them are new. In the top row are the 93 Stadium Club and its Members Only parallel, both already shown. All the way to the right is a new addition, the Super Teams Super Bowl parallel. This leaves just one more parallel of that card that I need: First Day. In the bottom row are my copies of his 93 Topps card and the new addition, the gold parallel.

1993 Wild Card. Already showed the correction of his card (center) and chrome version (right), but said I needed the 146A error that misspells his name "Tippet" on the front. I landed that, but it opened a can of worms. Now that I have the "5 stripe" of the error, I'll need the 10, 20, 50, 100 and 1000 stripe versions of the error and all 6 stripe variations of the correction. Ugh.

2 new additions. Love the 87 Topps sticker on the left. I don't know why, but I'm a sucker for stickers. Other card is 93 Pacific.

Last of the new additions: 92 Collectors Edge.

As always, thanks for looking!
  • Options
    Looks like good progress. Congrats!

Would you recommend COMC after using it? I've never bought cards from them.
  • Options
    I've used COMC 3 or 4 times and I think they're tremendous. I find them to be better for raw inexpensive modern cards and commons and I think they're generally overpriced on vintage and graded. But I've grabbed a ton of Tippett cards there and a decent number of post-1980 Yaz cards. Also I'm going to a baseball dinner/signing this month that includes some lesser known players in addition to the stars. I've used COMC for cards of the lesser guys, like a John Frascatore RC. One of the nice things, if you didn't know, is that shipping is a flat $3 no matter how many cards you buy. 2 thumbs up!
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    the karate card is still my fav...the lack of borders, the about to kick your face pose and just the overall feel of the card. a+!

would love to see him in the ring eating a turnbuckle or something!
  • Options
    Diggin the Tippett love this morning! Love the Wild Cards