Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just the Tippett

Comments

• Options

<< <i>As promised, got a big bunch of Tippett stuff, from Burbank sports. All of it was stuff I didn't have before. Here it is.

1986 Topps sticker with Leroy Irvin. On this purchase, I finished my run of his Topps stickers, as you'll see later on.

1987 Fleer Team Action. That's Tippett on the right, #56.

1987 Topps UK. In case some of you weren't familiar with the issue, I included his base Topps from the same year so you can see the size difference. I like the team logo in the bottom right corner of the UK cards. >>

Just quoting this so that all of tonight's updates are on the same page.
  • Options

More Topps UK love. In '89 they were the same size as base Topps, but there are still plenty of differences. The left and middle cards are the UK versions. Note the different color scheme in the border on front and the color differences and different orientation on the back. The UK cards are on a thinner, glossier stock.

1990 Action Packed.
  • Options
    OK, rounding things out....

1992 skyBox Prime Time and '92 Diamond Stickers. The sticker says it's made in Italy. I've said it a million times, but I love stickers.

And lastly a neat parallel. I already had this card, but these are the "color" parallels, different because they have the word "impact" in foil, bottom right front.

As always, thanks for looking!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    The 90 Action Packed is awesome! Makes me feel like putting on a pair of 3d glasses to properly view it haha
  • Options
    Haha thanks, that photo is incredible in my opinion! Crushed the QB, diving for the loose ball. Dude did a lot of that. BEAST!

Edited to add: back of the card says he returned the fumble for a TD
  • Options

<< <i> Crushed the QB, diving for the loose ball. Dude did a lot of that. BEAST! >>

Yeah Ken O'Brian was used to that lol
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice additions Dan.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups. Interesting with the '89 Topps UK cards. The color scheme on the back is much better than the US version. I too like that 1990 Action Packed photo, and it's against your favorite foe, the Jets image.
  • Options
    Thanks fellas! Yeah, I know there are Jets fans around here, but I really hate that team. All the animosity I'm supposed to feel for the Yankees I feel for the Jets. It all started in the mid 90s when they blew up our super bowl team by stealing Curtis Martin and Bill Parcells.

Tonight (after company leaves) I'm going to start a BST thread with a list of the Tippett cards I still want/need. It's mostly oddball stuff. Off the top of my head, the list will include all colors of his '86 McDonald's cards, any Frito Lay stickers, any King B discs, and most wild card variations. If anybody has any of these available, please LMK. Thanks.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Newest additions....

First, a 1987 Wheaties "mini poster," still sealed. I'm gonna leave it that way.

When opened and unfolded, these measure 5"x7", small enough to fit in the larger PSA slabs. I couldn't find a good photo of the poster, but here's an itty bitty one.

Next, I added the 1990 Topps "no disclaimer" variation. Here it is next to the other variation, "with disclaimer," which I already had 3 copies of.

Lastly, another signed addition to my '92 Pro Line Profiles run. I have the 9 card basic series, and the 9 card embossed series from the National Convention. Now I'm working on getting the autographed parallels of the pack-pulled ones. I really like this card. Cool high school photo and a really bold signature.

I've got 3 more Tippett cards coming in the mail and another I have my eye on, so stay tuned for another update soon. As always, thanks for looking!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Dan,

Nice pick ups. I especially like the Proline Profiles auto card picturing young Tippet. Keep them coming.
    Steve
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pickups and good luck on getting most of the rest of the auto'd Profiles!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I wanted to clarify that the wrinkle in the wheaties photo is just in the cello. The poster is pristine.
  • Options
    In that high school photo he looks like a 22-year-old man! I'll bet he played like a man among boys, too.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Always like seeing cool threads like this. Nice work.
  • Options
  • Options
    Some more Andre additions! First, I continued to work on that '92 Pro Line autographed series by adding 2 more, giving me 4 so far:

These are the only manufacturer autos I've ever seen on the backs of the cards. As far as I know, the other 7 cards in the Tippett series are all signed on the front. I guess these were signed on the back because he wasn't alone on the front?

One more addition. Earlier in this thread I showed my 1993 FACT Fleer Shell Andre Tippett. At the time I didn't know what "FACT" meant. I've since learned that is stands for "Football and Academics, a Community Team." Sets were manufactured from 1990-93 and distributed in public schools in Cincinnati, in an effort to keep kids in school, off drugs, and teach them other important lessons (I guess). Besides the '93 Fleer set, Tippett was featured in the 1990 and '92 sets, manufactured by Pro Set. I just picked up the '92 card in a trade with CU member junkwaxgems:

Here it is, next to his regular '92 Pro Set issue. They look the same in front, but the backs are different:

• Options
    Meant to include this in the last update. Very happy to add this 1989 Starting Lineups card.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭✭
    Great choice. But all of your cards are spelled incorrectly.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Lol @ Don.

Just picked this up, now my 5th card from this autograph series. Only 3 more I want/need.

• Options
    Cool ProLine card. I wonder if Andre's hair really was at an angle or they just painted it that way image
  • Options
    Lots of oddball stuff here, and nothing is "normal" size. First, all 4 colors of 1986 McDonald's scratch offs:

I'm sure most of you are familiar with those, but for those that aren't, these measure 3 1/8" wide x 4.75" tall.

Next, another from 1986. This is the "Police Patriots/Bears."

imageimage

I think it's pretty scarce. Until it arrived in today's mail, I'd never seen one, only seen it listed in an online database. Beckett says they're not even sure whether the set was released by a police dept in Mass. or in Chicago. It's slightly taller and (very) slightly (1/8") wider than a typical card. Shorter than a tallboy though.

Lastly, 1992 NewSport. This one is French, and huge.

It's 3 7/8" wide x 5 7/8" tall, significantly larger than a postcard.

• Options
    Loving the oddballs, keep em coming!
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    Thanks Kyle. There's almost nothing "normal" or "regular" left on my Tippett wish list. At some point I should post that list on BST.
  • Options
    Latest new additions:

First, I bought a lot of King B discs on eBay. I really loved these once I got them in hand. King B is/was a beef jerky brand. The lot included both Tippett discs, 1989 and '93, which I needed. The Brady was a nice bonus.

Edit to add: The Brady and the Tippetts are the same size, despite the disparity in scans. In fact, every disc in the lot was exactly the same, except for the square proof of Willie McGinest.

Also on eBay, I bought a graded copy of his 1989 Panini sticker, supposedly the UK version. Any raw copies I'd seen had been several dollars, if not more, so picking this PSA 8 up for $4.99 delivered seemed like a no brainer. It turns out that PSA mislabeled it, so I guess I'll be sending it in for mechanical error. The seller did surprise me and throw in another graded Tippett as a free bonus. Not a stellar grade, but a fun freebie nonetheless.

imageimage

Lastly, I picked up the "5 stripe" variation of his '92 Wild Card on COMC.

I'm going to start a BST thread tonight with my remaining Tippett wish list. Mostly oddball stuff. Please check it out when you get a chance.

Edited when I found out my UK wasn't a UK at all.
  • Options
    Niice score Dan. That's a great bunch of Tippets.

I would get rid of the Brady now though. That guy is never going to amount to much of anything.
  • Options
    The UK/not a UK situation has been rectified. The slabbed 89 Panini I posted earlier has been sent back to PSA for a label/pop correction. And I was able to buy 3 copies of the actual 89 Panini UK, as well as a 1990 Panini UK Tippett, all on beckett.com . Here is the back of the slabbed copy that was incorrectly labeled UK:

And here are the backs of the ones I just received, which are actually UK:

Finally, here are front and back scans of the 1990 UK:

imageimage

I have several more Tippett cards coming in the mail, but I'll try to accumulate them all before I update this thread again. As always, thanks for looking.
  • Options
    More updates. After a year of searching, and a couple of purchases that didn't pan out, I FINALLY completed the lower half of the 87 Topps UK puzzle, the only half I care about because it shows Tippett tackling Marcus Allen. Here it is:

And I also "upgraded" my 1992 Wild Card of him, from the 5 stripe parallel to the 100 stripe:

Between the King B discs, the Panini UK stickers, and now completing this puzzle, I'm really having a lot of fun with the oddball Tippett stuff lately! Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Dan, nice to see you finally complete the UK puzzle with Tippet tackling Allen. That seemed harder than it should have beenimage I was about to sell you a 87 UK wax box to rip, lol. Love the variety in this thread. I remember the wild stripes. Even as a 13 or 14 year old I thought the wild stripe idea seemed like a weird gimmick. Cool card to get now though.
    Steve
  • Options
    A lot of my Tippett pursuits have been tougher than they should have been, that's for sure! I count about a dozen cards on my Tippett wish list in the BST forum that I can't believe I haven't landed by now. Some pretty mundane stuff on that list. Toughies too, though, like the BP and the Frito stickers.

I too am not crazy about the Wild Card stripes, but I'm a completist, so I need to add them. Since I don't like them, I'm not collecting every card in every stripe. I'm upgrading each to the highest numbered stripe I can find and then I give the lower striped ones to my kids. The end game is to have the 3 cards each with a 1,000 stripe and that's it.
  • Options
    Dan, I agree with you on the wild stripe feeling. I thought the gimmick was pretty lame at the time. The cool thing about getting them now is they are a fraction of what they went for back then. Forgot to mention, I love the McDonalds cards. I remember going to McDonalds in 1986 and trying to land my favorite 49ers. I will have to get some Rice, Montana and Craig cards one of these days.
    Steve
  • Options
    Love the UK's!

I have an Emmitt or two from UK and Germany. Oddballs are awesome. Add the fact that they're from another country makes them even cooler.

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I realize that Upper Deck is probably still printing them, but I really like 1991 and 1992 Upper Deck.

Very simple "non-90s" design, great, colorful pictures on the front and back, the art cards. Just a great set. Worthless, but great.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    OK, first a couple of oddball items I picked up recently:

That's a 1993 Classic Tonx on the left. Charrigan was really excited when I showed it to him, because he's an avid Pog player and routinely beats the neighborhood kids. On the right is a 1993 Dog Tag. These are made of plastic and were issued by Chris Martin Enterprises for a few years in the 90's. Tippett is on a '92 tag as well, which I still need.

But here is something a little unusual for the boards.... In the mail today, I received 4 packs of 1990 British Petroleum (BP) game cards. I plan to rip the packs in a few hours after work.

Here is an excerpt from Beckett's write up about the set, for those who are interested, but not familiar with the set:

"This 36-card standard-size set was issued two cards at a time by British Petroleum gas stations throughout California.... There were five winning player cards issued in the following quantities. Andre Tippett: $5 - 990 cards, Freeman McNeil: $10 - 325 cards, Clay Matthews: $100 - 18 cards, Tim Harris: $1,000 - 3 cards, and Deion Sanders: $10,000 - one card.... Each game piece was two NFL football cards inside a cardboard frame, with full-color head shots in uniform of the player. Cards are frequently found in less than Mint condition due to the fact that glue was applied to the obverses of the cards in the manufacturing process.... The game redemptions expired in October 1991. Each card was produced in two different card back variations: black with contest rules or advertising design featuring full color football scene."

Again, the rip is coming in a few hours. Obviously, I'm hoping to pull a Tippett, even though my odds are low. That card is impossible to find and ripping packs is the best bet, since most of the ones that were discovered were redeemed for a prize. Even if I don't hit a Tippett, there are other HOFers who are considered good hits. And I have no idea if anybody ever found the Deion Sanders 1/1.

I hope some of you are interested in this rip and that you enjoy it later on. Thanks!
  • Options
    Yes, I rock all those stupid kids' faces in Tonx. No mercy. I play for keeps. Pretty much like this.

Good stuff, Dan!
  • Options
    LMAO!! Is that a Red Wings poster that gets torn when the lovable Hawaiian stereotype bursts in??
  • Options
    I am not sure, but I would guess that it is an Oshawa Generals Eric Lindros poster. There are many things about that commercial that have me confused. I might have to go pound some milk to clear my head.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm lactose intolerant.

Anyways, here are the rip results from the first 2 packs:

3/4 HOFers and some pretty big names. The Rice and Singletary exhibit a little paper loss due to the glue issue described above. That was the only pack of the 4 that had any glue issues, much better odds than I expected. I consider Rice and Sanders big hits.
  • Options
    ....And the second pair of packs. Again, 3/4 HOFers. The last pack, LT/Moon, exhibited the best T/B centering of the non glue cards.

So no Tippett, but actually not that disappointing of a rip, given the star power. Thinking of buying more packs from my source. I'm gonna keep the Rice and Sanders for my PC, but the other 6 are available. If you see one that interests you, LMK.
  • Options
    Nice rip, congrats on the star power!
  • Options
    Cool set! Have you ever see an example of the Tippett card?
  • Options
    Nope! Only one graded ever.
  • Options

<< <i>Nope! Only one graded ever. >>

It is density to find it!!
  • Options

<< <i>

It is density to find it!! >>

I'm not lacking for density image
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Same Lawrence Taylor image?

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It is density to find it!! >>

I'm not lacking for density image >>

I know. I am your friend you know

haha
  • Options
    Speaking of density, what happened to your phone, Matt?!? image
  • Options
    It's been months since I've been able to update this thread. At this point I have over 200 different Tippett cards, so it's becoming harder and harder to find ones I still need.

Only one to show today: 1993 Stadium Club "1st Day Production" parallel. I don't think it's especially rare, but for some reason it took me a year and a half to track down a copy.

There are actually 3 parallels of that set. Here they all are together:

From right to left, that's 1st Day, Members Only, and Super Bowl Super Teams.

I'm itching to add the remaining Tippett items I still need. If you have any football items at all, please check out my BST thread and let me know if you can help.
  • Options
    Nice add! The price on the 1st Day does not reflect the difficulty in finding them.