Home Precious Metals
Options

Beware fake bullion bars!

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Filled with tungsten, with a weight and mass similar to the real bars.

Comments

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    to the moon Alice!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a sickening thought. Plenty of blame to go around.

Damn that Ralph Kramden and his defined benefit bus driver pension!!
  • Options

<< <i>It is a sickening thought. Plenty of blame to go around.

Damn that Ralph Kramden and his defined benefit bus driver pension!! >>

Thanks for the laugh!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why.....really why, other than greed and stupidity, did we leave this unconscionable burden for our children and their children? >>

We didn't. The debt will eventually be repudiated or (more likely) paid off in the distant future with newly issued and highly depreciated dollars.

Not that it will happen, but I think the best way out of this mess would be for the Federal government to cease borrowing money altogether, pay off maturing bonds with unbacked fiat currency (like the old U.S. Notes), and also finance any continuing deficit with U.S. Notes. Not ideal, but it would eventually retire the debt and end the burden of interest payments. "Inflate as you go" instead of "borrow now, inflate later".

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace and love and rainbows. The good old days.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, too many people wear rose colored glasses and think the national debt is some vague concept that has no real impact on their futures or their children's future.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The debt is real, and, in my opinion, will never be paid. I do believe that eventually it will all crash, debt cancelled and America will look much different than today. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Peace and love and rainbows. The good old days. >>

No one is denying the problems of the 40's 50' and 60's. On the other hand we made great leaps forward, most notably landing several Americans on the Earth.

None of that is an excuse for burying our kids in paralyzing debt.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Repeal of Glass-Steagall Caused the Financial Crisis

As for paying it off, that will begin in about 2018, when the annual deficit goes away and they start taking in more than their spending.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As for paying it off, that will begin in about 2018, when the annual deficit goes away and they start taking in more than their spending. >>

How exactly will the deficit go away? Especially with massive unfunded liabilities within Social Security and Medicare, along with a weak economy and tax base? The deficit is structural and has been for some time.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MGL...."One of these days... One of these days"
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>....Just entering the world, I was not yet aware of the national debt of $276 billion dollars. Much of this debt was created to fund the enormous cost of fighting the Second World War, as the year end 1941 debt was only 49 billion.

Population in this country was only about half of the number today, at 169,000,001 ( I was the one image).

Debt broke down to a tad over $1600 per resident.

In 2014, the debt is $17.5 trillion, spread over a population of 313,000,000, or $56,000 a head. Of course we are talking about a different dollar today, mostly because of the slipshod spending practices but even using a 1000% inflation factor, debt is still over 3 1/2 times higher today than in 1956 and if we want to stretch things, 17 times the figure of 1941.

Why.....really why, other than greed and stupidity, did we leave this unconscionable burden for our children and their children?

Stacking gold and silver and even paper assets may offer us some protection, but we have no excuse for this theft of assets. >>

Military spending. Republicans putting wars on credit cards and criticizing democrats for being weak on foreign policy when Democrats say we need to get out of wars. Refusing revenue from the business that is religion is another problem. Taxes on profitable churches would go a long way toward paying for our defense spending that Republicans shove down the taxpayer's throat. 47% of people cannot take responsibility. If they just paid taxes on the 7.25 per hour they made, we wouldn't be in this predicament. Republicans are stopping people from making more money by making sure the minimum wage doesn't increase across the board. Just get a gun and post pictures of your gun/ammo on this site and tell everybody that the rapture is coming...buy more gold...you will lose money on it...but at least it will still be worth 70% of what you paid for it in a couple years. Better than investing in the stock market...
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>....Just entering the world, I was not yet aware of the national debt of $276 billion dollars. Much of this debt was created to fund the enormous cost of fighting the Second World War, as the year end 1941 debt was only 49 billion.

Population in this country was only about half of the number today, at 169,000,001 ( I was the one image).

Debt broke down to a tad over $1600 per resident.

In 2014, the debt is $17.5 trillion, spread over a population of 313,000,000, or $56,000 a head. Of course we are talking about a different dollar today, mostly because of the slipshod spending practices but even using a 1000% inflation factor, debt is still over 3 1/2 times higher today than in 1956 and if we want to stretch things, 17 times the figure of 1941.

Why.....really why, other than greed and stupidity, did we leave this unconscionable burden for our children and their children?

Stacking gold and silver and even paper assets may offer us some protection, but we have no excuse for this theft of assets. >>

Military spending. Republicans putting wars on credit cards and criticizing democrats for being weak on foreign policy when Democrats say we need to get out of wars. Refusing revenue from the business that is religion is another problem. Taxes on profitable churches would go a long way toward paying for our defense spending that Republicans shove down the taxpayer's throat. 47% of people cannot take responsibility. If they just paid taxes on the 7.25 per hour they made, we wouldn't be in this predicament. Republicans are stopping people from making more money by making sure the minimum wage doesn't increase across the board. Just get a gun and post pictures of your gun/ammo on this site and tell everybody that the rapture is coming...buy more gold...you will lose money on it...but at least it will still be worth 70% of what you paid for it in a couple years. Better than investing in the stock market... >>

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    What a clever way of showing you disagree with me, OPA.
  • Options

<< <i>What a clever way of showing you disagree with me, OPA. >>

I'm guessing that OPA flunked out of charm school.image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What a clever way of showing you disagree with me, OPA. >>

I'm guessing that OPA flunked out of charm school.image >>

I'm guessing he flunked out of school.
  • Options

<< <i>Military spending. >>

I agree with you on that, CRH. We spend nearly $1,000,000,000,000 a year on defense, and when the need arises to use such force, we do so with one or both of our hands tied behind our backs.

I also applaud you for having the desire and ambition to set up an investment program at a young age. It will be an uphill battle for your generation to save as the debt and over burdensome social programs create a playing field that resembles Mt. Everest in steepness.

Both sides of the aisle created this mess, not one. More importantly, all Americans of voting age over the last generation or two are responsible for the hacks in office that have spent freely without taxing an appropriate amount to balance the budget.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>to the moon Alice! >>

them were some good memories thru the years
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    No time to make this political.

But if I had to add something that annoys me the most.......entitlements and the party that seems to increase them exponentially every time they gain the majority.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>No time to make this political.

But if I had to add something that annoys me the most.......entitlements and the party that seems to increase them exponentially every time they gain the majority. >>

Yet you took the time.........
  • Options

But if I had to add something that annoys me the most.......entitlements and the party that seems to increase them exponentially every time they gain the majority. >>

Isn't this party essentially buying votes from certain groups with entitlement payments?

• Options

Oh of course, that isn't political at all. The republican party increases military entitlements, makes it tougher to get healthcare, keeps the minimum wage at 7.25 per hour, and continues to give Israel money we don't have every time they are in power. Republicans make it tougher to vote-unless you are going to vote republican. ISRAEL GOOD! UN BAD! (republican congressman grunts and walks back into his cave, carrying assault rifle)...puts club down from his other hand, picks up bible.
  • Options
    image Todd Akin stands by "legitimate rape" comment:

This is how the GOP does things.
  • Options

<< <i>

Isn't this party essentially buying votes from certain groups with entitlement payments? >>

When the other party makes sure you only get 7.25 an hour, and gives no definitive time frame for when your 7.25 per hour will increase, it doesn't take much to "buy" a vote. Democrats actually try to help these people. Republicans make sure taxes are low and employees making those profits for their companies-which shouldn't be taxed-only get 7.25 per hour.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Oh of course, that isn't political at all. The republican party increases military entitlements, makes it tougher to get healthcare, keeps the minimum wage at 7.25 per hour, and continues to give Israel money we don't have every time they are in power. Republicans make it tougher to vote-unless you are going to vote republican. ISRAEL GOOD! UN BAD! (republican congressman grunts and walks back into his cave, carrying assault rifle)...puts club down from his other hand, picks up bible. >>

If you really believe this, and think there's one stitch of difference in who you are complaining about and championing under guise of hypocrisy, all the while preaching tolerance via conformity mediocrity in a 1 sided direction, then you need to look in the mirror until you recognize the problem.
  • Options
    Problem solving shouldn't be an emotional based solution.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh of course, that isn't political at all. The republican party increases military entitlements, makes it tougher to get healthcare, keeps the minimum wage at 7.25 per hour, and continues to give Israel money we don't have every time they are in power. Republicans make it tougher to vote-unless you are going to vote republican. ISRAEL GOOD! UN BAD! (republican congressman grunts and walks back into his cave, carrying assault rifle)...puts club down from his other hand, picks up bible. >>

If you really believe this, and think there's one stitch of difference in who you are complaining about and championing under guise of hypocrisy, all the while preaching tolerance via conformity mediocrity in a 1 sided direction, then you need to look in the mirror until you recognize the problem. >>

The problem is that Republicans got us into this mess by getting us into Iraq-"the WMDs are there-the evidence is clear!" and Dick Cheney nearly got us into a war with Iran-we definitely would have if he had his way. When you waste money on wars, that puts financial strains on domestic programs. Just to top things off, when your party makes sure that the minimum wage stays at 7.25 an hour (while saying you gotta own gold-because of inflation!), you get an opposing candidate who "wins in a landslide."

How embarrassing...I misspelled "wins"
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah she is going to have to fend off deserved criticism for that vote, as well as her idiotic comments about "how rough" she had it when she left the white house. As a democrat, I freely admit that of course I would vote for her if she got the nomination-but there are some better candidates out there. She really made herself look like Mitt Romney and appear out of touch when she talked about financial hardships...she is a multimillionaire with tons of different properties who gets hundreds of thousands of dollars per speech. Yes, she deserves criticism. Republicans will like the fact that she supported their war. But what republicans want to focus on is benghazi....they are licking their chops for her to get the nomination so they can ask more questions about benghazi.
  • Options
    CRH...you have invested in both CVS and Rite Aid. Both are low wage and benefit employers. Regrettable that you should profit on the backs of these near minimum wage laborers.
  • Options

<< <i>The debt is real, and, in my opinion, will never be paid. I do believe that eventually it will all crash, debt cancelled and America will look much different than today. Cheers, RickO >>

I agree. Except that America will look exactly like it does today.

• Options
    When the other party makes sure you only get 7.25 an hour

So fu..ing work harder and smarter. So much whining.

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    The other party makes sure you make minimum wage?

Lol, these people vote. Wow.

" YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options

<< <i>CRH...you have invested in both CVS and Rite Aid. Both are low wage and benefit employers. Regrettable that you should profit on the backs of these near minimum wage laborers. >>

What an idiotic criticism. Look-if these companies are going to make money while paying employees poorly-I myself as an employee who gets paid poorly am allowed to attempt to profit off of these companies from an investment standpoint. You are looking for a contradiction when there is none. Nothing about my investments is antithetical/in opposition to raising the minimum wage to 10.10.
  • Options

<< <i>When the other party makes sure you only get 7.25 an hour

So fu..ing work harder and smarter. So much whining. >>

I do, but thanks to republicans, I still get paid poorly. If it were up to democrats, I would be getting paid better. Plain and simple.
  • Options

<< <i>The other party makes sure you make minimum wage?

Lol, these people vote. Wow. >>

Yes, these people vote. Republicans vote to make sure the minimum wage stays at 7.25 per hour.

If republicans like you had their way, as they are getting as they restrict more voting rights, fewer people will vote. I assume you are fine with this, because republican voting restriction generally targets people who would vote democratically.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coinrollhunter, stop your ranting while there is still time.....now go turn on MSNBC and relax.

If it were up to democrats, I would be getting paid better. Plain and simple
    edited to add: Ah yes, the Dems have had control of every major city since the 60's.....how's that working out for you?
  • Options

<< <i>coinrollhunter, stop your ranting while there is still time.....now go turn on MSNBC and relax.

edited to add: Ah yes, the Dems have had control of every major city since the 60's.....how's that working out for you? >>

"Controlling cities" doesn't increase the federal minimum wage. Stop changing the subject. It's easy for you to criticize MSNBC, when all of the people in this thread whose posts indicate they believe the minimum wage should stay at 7.25 probably get their information from Fox "News". How is city control since the 60's working for me? Well I was born in 1991...so all I can judge is how things work out for me in northern Virginia, because I have lived their my whole life. My mom is watching Fox "News" as I make this post.
  • Options

<< <i>

I do, but thanks to republicans, I still get paid poorly. If it were up to democrats, I would be getting paid better. Plain and simple. >>

Wow, I didn't want to re respond, but this is precious.

If it were up to you and your work ethic would you be 'getting paid better'?

Your lousy pay is because you think there's a reward for existing and people owe you things for being alive.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>coinrollhunter, stop your ranting while there is still time.....now go turn on MSNBC and relax.

edited to add: Ah yes, the Dems have had control of every major city since the 60's.....how's that working out for you? >>

"Controlling cities" doesn't increase the federal minimum wage. Stop changing the subject. It's easy for you to criticize MSNBC, when all of the people in this thread whose posts indicate they believe the minimum wage should stay at 7.25 probably get their information from Fox "News". How is city control since the 60's working for me? Well I was born in 1991...so all I can judge is how things work out for me in northern Virginia, because I have lived their my whole life. My mom is watching Fox "News" as I make this post. >>

It's OK to be liberal when you are young.....but, one day you will hopefully grow up.
    Your Mom must be perplexing to your young skull. image
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like I said on page 1, plenty of blame to go around. But, in the midst of all of this finger pointing, the ship is still listing...and taking on water rapidly.
  • Options
    Hopefully one of those illegals will take your job then you get democrat dream job, an unemployment check and a free bammy phone :-)
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>CRH...you have invested in both CVS and Rite Aid. Both are low wage and benefit employers. Regrettable that you should profit on the backs of these near minimum wage laborers. >>

What an idiotic criticism. Look-if these companies are going to make money while paying employees poorly-I myself as an employee who gets paid poorly am allowed to attempt to profit off of these companies from an investment standpoint. You are looking for a contradiction when there is none. Nothing about my investments is antithetical/in opposition to raising the minimum wage to 10.10. >>

Why are you working for minimum wage? Do no other opportunities exist in your area. If not, maybe it is time to move. Folks have done that in this country for hundreds of years. I did, when things got lousy in Detroit.
  • Options

<< <i>

I do, but thanks to republicans, I still get paid poorly. If it were up to democrats, I would be getting paid better. Plain and simple. >>

What ever happened to, "if it was up to myself I would be getting paid better?". E

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What an idiotic criticism. Look-if these companies are going to make money while paying employees poorly-I myself as an employee who gets paid poorly am allowed to attempt to profit off of these companies from an investment standpoint. You are looking for a contradiction when there is none. Nothing about my investments is antithetical/in opposition to raising the minimum wage to 10.10. >>

Why are you working for minimum wage? Do no other opportunities exist in your area. If not, maybe it is time to move. Folks have done that in this country for hundreds of years. I did, when things got lousy in Detroit. >>

Same hereimage

BUT, as a part time broom pusher in a factory after school, I was in awe of the machinist and toolmakers. Damn, they were making $10 an hour to my $2.35 at the time. I was so pissed at the democrats and Jimmy Carter for keeping a brotha down. There was no internet for me to make a moron out of myself in public, so, instead I went to trade school, apprenticed until I received my Journeyman Card.
    Did just that. Journey.

I run an aerospace prototype machine shop these days.

CRH, get off your pity pot and take some responsibility for your self. Clarence Thomas and Dr Benjamin Carson did. We are all guaranteed equal opportunity, not equal results.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was stuck in a job making minimum wage at the age of 22, I'd start thinking about how to better my earnings potential instead of making the assumption that the minimum wage job is worth more than it is worth.

In other words, look in the mirror and start taking some responsibility for your own situation instead of making the fatal error that the government is going to make your life easier. The government really, really, really doesn't care about you. Really.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I am a senior in college. I am on track to graduate in December 2014 with a bachelors degree in health administration. I have worked at my job for over a year-and still no raise-8 dollars an hour.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

What ever happened to, "if it was up to myself I would be getting paid better?". E >>

It isn't up to me-it is up to the owner/management of the restaurant.
  • Options
    I don't admire Ben Carson because he is a creationist. I refuse to admire creationists.

A world class neurosurgeon's religious views keep him from accepting scientific evidence