Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$2-1/2 Indian what do you think? Coin in hand

darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
Just won this on proxi-bid. My first coin purchase over $100 in four years. I love toned gold and the $2-1/2 Indians seem to get some to get some pretty good color. Looks like it has mint bloom in the fields so I took a chance on it.image

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it-congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Honestly, the photograph makes it very difficult to see what's going on with that coin.

The fields almost look heavily puddied and moderately corroded, but then again it's difficult to say for sure.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to say with only those photos to evaluate. It appears to have luster and some rub. These coins are especially hard to grade. Most likely it's AU. I hope so, if that's what you are looking for.
  • Options
    Thanks I too have doughts on this one. I kind of gambled here. About $400 with buyers fees. This is what the catalogger told me in an email-

Here is a visual, under the glass:  From the forehead to the bottom of the neck the frosty relief is virtually mark-free; the eagle’s breast is frosty and virtually mark-free; the top of the eagle’s left wing shows typical weakness; field blemishes on the obverse are practically nill a bit more in the reverse fields; the color is a deep reddish orange peel and is quite unusual; I am convinced that this is totally original; I had a ough time deciding to call this 62 or 63 and see coins of this quality offered as 64 frequently.  This is, in my opinion, a premium coin!
  • Options
    Hi Mike!

Neat. Looks like Salvador Dali in the photo here!

Eric
  • Options
    Hi Eric image.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photo makes it hard to see the coin, but I don't care for what I do see. You might like toned gold that looks like this with dark spots, but most collectors don't. Light coppery toning mixed with the gold can be very attractive, although you see it more often on Liberty coins, not the Indian pieces. Dark patches like this make the coin very difficult to re-sell. I speak from experience.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Hi Mike,

How are you doing? You know on your Indian - the area that looks like a mustache - Dali's was probably bigger!

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • Options
    Thanks Bill for your thoughts. I guess part of the fun for me is finding a coin like this that turns out to be really nice. I know the days of finding raw gold coins that turn out to be nice coins is pretty much gone by a decade or two. I look at 2-1/2 and $5 indians because most dont know how to grade these and in the past I have done rather well and in this coin I see luster in the fields which denotes an uncirculated coin and the toning .. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The photo makes it hard to see the coin, but I don't care for what I do see. You might like toned gold that looks like this with dark spots, but most collectors don't. Light coppery toning mixed with the gold can be very attractive, although you see it more often on Liberty coins, not the Indian pieces. Dark patches like this make the coin very difficult to re-sell. I speak from experience. >>

Agree. Most collectors don't want crud and filth on their coins---especially on a gold coin. That coin is in serious need of conservation. I wonder how many of those collectors that claim to only like original coins would want to buy this coin. I imagine it would be very few.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The photo makes it hard to see the coin, but I don't care for what I do see. You might like toned gold that looks like this with dark spots, but most collectors don't. Light coppery toning mixed with the gold can be very attractive, although you see it more often on Liberty coins, not the Indian pieces. Dark patches like this make the coin very difficult to re-sell. I speak from experience. >>

Agree. Most collectors don't want crud and filth on their coins---especially on a gold coin. That coin is in serious need of conservation. I wonder how many of those collectors that claim to only like original coins would want to buy this coin. I imagine it would be very few. >>

Seems like every other post about gold is titled dirty gold- somebody must like it. Lol
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Agree. Most collectors don't want crud and filth on their coins---especially on a gold coin. >>

Sell me your cruddy gold please.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any purchase of raw gold is risky due to many counterfeits (and I'm not talking about the recent ones from China).

That particular coin is unattractive.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Agree. Most collectors don't want crud and filth on their coins---especially on a gold coin. >>

Sell me your cruddy gold please. >>

Sorry but I don't own any cruddy gold. I (as do most collectors) want to own coins with at least some minimal level of eye appeal.

• Options
    From these images i have to agree with the majority.

Eri
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sorry but I don't own any cruddy gold. I (as do most collectors) want to own coins with at least some minimal level of eye appeal. >>

Too funny. To each his own I guess.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sorry but I don't own any cruddy gold. I (as do most collectors) want to own coins with at least some minimal level of eye appeal. >>

The key point is original surface gold. Some circulated gold coins simply should not like "bright and white." Here is an example of original surface gold in the way many astute collectors like to see it.

imageimage

Even this can go too far. I've been looking for an 1838-C half eagle for some time. The closest I came to buying one was a piece in PCGS EF-40 with a CAC sticker. The coin was totally original, but it was so deeply toned that it looked like copper. I really wanted it in a way, but I had to pass because it did not look like gold.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those images do not portray what is normally termed 'dirty gold' or 'crusty'. Of course, it could be the photography and the coin may really be nice. I look forward to your pictures and comments once the coin is in hand..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Lovely 1850-C Bill. Completely agree on the comments.
  • Options

<< <i>Those images do not portray what is normally termed 'dirty gold' or 'crusty'. Of course, it could be the photography and the coin may really be nice. I look forward to your pictures and comments once the coin is in hand..... Cheers, RickO >>

Thanks Ricko- I am relying on little bits and pieces I see in these pictures that I think might be a cool uncirculated coin. I could be wrong for sure. Hopefully I have it hand in a few days. I don't really have a picture taking set up anymore but I can try.
  • Options

<< <i>Any purchase of raw gold is risky due to many counterfeits (and I'm not talking about the recent ones from China).

That particular coin is unattractive. >>

Not to worry as the auction guaranties if it is not genuine. Also I have quite a bit of experience with counterfeit gold.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Count me as a collector that would love to own this one.

Best wishes with the submission if you choose to go that route

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Count me as a collector that would love to own this one. >>

That's quite a bold statement in view of the quality of the photos at hand.
  • Options

<< <i>Count me as a collector that would love to own this one.

Best wishes with the submission if you choose to go that route >>

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I do think this was a risky venture myself but I do feel I will be ok with it. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Count me as a collector that would love to own this one.

Best wishes with the submission if you choose to go that route >>

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I do think this was a risky venture myself but I do feel I will be ok with it. image >>

There looks like there could be a nice coin under all that crud. Even with luster visible, it may not grade mint state although it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Enjoy your new coin.image

• Options
    It looks like it could be a keeper. The thing that has me scratching my head is the heavy pixilation beneath the motto and the word "Liberty".....it almost looks like granularity....if those areas are ok in hand, its probably a nice high AU/low MS coin.
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not one I would want at all, don't like the dark toning. Definitely a coin I would dip.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of that look.though it is really hard to tell from that photo. More generally, I like dirty gold that is dirty from circulation, mostly pre-1880 Liberty gold and/or from European hoards. I prefer my 20th century gold to be naturally lustrous.
  • Options
    Only time will tell. I will be sure to post as soon as I get it. image
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Poor picture quality for sure. However, the seller states:
    "I had a ough time deciding to call this 62 or 63 and see coins of this quality offered as 64 frequently. This is, in my opinion, a premium coin!"
    No way, never, will that coin grade anywhere near 64.
    On Indians, fields are a very important grading factor. I see chatter and numerous scratches on the reverse (upper and right field). On the obverse the left & upper fields plus the upper lip preclude a higher grade (62 at best).
  • Options

<< <i>

Poor picture quality for sure. However, the seller states:
    "I had a ough time deciding to call this 62 or 63 and see coins of this quality offered as 64 frequently. This is, in my opinion, a premium coin!"
    No way, never, will that coin grade anywhere near 64.
    On Indians, fields are a very important grading factor. I see chatter and numerous scratches on the reverse (upper and right field). On the obverse the left & upper fields plus the upper lip preclude a higher grade (62 at best)... >>

Luster in the fields will get an MS grade even if their is a little rub on these. Chatter in the fields can still keep them in grades above 64. Not that i have any dilusions of anything higher than 62. My actual hope is to have some original luster peeking through with some cool color. image
  • Options
    Here is an Indian quarter eagle in very high end MS-64.

imageimage
  • Options
    Very nice Bill!As can be seen in your photo's chatter and marks that are common for the grade. I have seen many 64's with with less chatter but not with the luster yours has.
  • Options
    My photos emphasize chatter. This coin is actually very smooth.
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Wishing you luck.
    Even with low quality pics, your coin is not even remotely close to Bill's. Much more chatter & hairlines. Look at the Indian's upper lip also. Tell us the results if you have it graded.
  • Options
    NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭

<< <i>Honestly, the photograph makes it very difficult to see what's going on with that coin.

The fields almost look heavily puddied and moderately corroded, but then again it's difficult to say for sure.

Best of luck! >>

Agree with this completely. The fields don't look right, even for (what I presume to be) scans of the coin.

On the positive side, nice luster on from what looks like an AU coin.

At $400, I doubt you would see a return on your "investment" any time soon, but if you like it, there's no arguing with that. image

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• Options

<< <i>Wishing you luck.
    Even with low quality pics, your coin is not even remotely close to Bill's. Much more chatter & hairlines. Look at the Indian's upper lip also. Tell us the results if you have it graded. >>

Thanks! Oh yes I never meant that mine compared to Bills.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Honestly, the photograph makes it very difficult to see what's going on with that coin.

Best of luck! >>

Agree with this completely. The fields don't look right, even for (what I presume to be) scans of the coin.

On the positive side, nice luster on from what looks like an AU coin.

At $400, I doubt you would see a return on your "investment" any time soon, but if you like it, there's no arguing with that. image >>

This was nothing more than gambling- no investment thoughts on my part. Lol
  • Options
    Its at the post office. I hope to be able to report on it soon.
  • Options
    Sorry about crappy pics- shot with iPhone through a loupe with coin still in flip on workbench.
  • Options
  • Options
    I like that coin.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I think you did well. I like the originality and the unique look to that one. 👍
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Photo looks like the contrast was turned up a notch
    Good luck - hope it is a home run for U
    imageimage
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file