Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fake Chain Cent

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    As a non-collector of coppers, that would have faked me out although the sellers ZERO feedback would have been a red flag.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a non-collector of coppers, that would have faked me out although the sellers ZERO feedback would have been a red flag. >>

As a collector of that era, working on my copper skills, that one may have faked me out!
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Very tricky making it look like a ground dug coin
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    AlloftheAbove76, what is your analysis of the diagnostics?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AlloftheAbove76, what is your analysis of the diagnostics? >>

Agree not being into them need a reason other than that zero feedback to report.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would just fall over with elatement to buy something like that "authentic" for $2600.

it is also a dead-lock for the S-1 but i'm sure they have spark erosioned or made plenty of castings to get most diagnostics right-on.

those small images, dang, sure make it difficult and i can't be certain 100%.

although i think those fingers are counterfeit. i don't recall ever seeing digger's fingers THAT clean. ><

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did the Gallery Mint mark theirs?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auction ended by the seller..... not sure if it was because of counterfeit determination or sold privately..... would like to know the diagnostics that determined it fake... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Auction ended by the seller..... not sure if it was because of counterfeit determination or sold privately..... would like to know the diagnostics that determined it fake... Cheers, RickO >>

I saw nothing that I could condemn it for, just as I saw nothing that would make me want to say it was genuine. Maybe if I had it in hand I could offer an opinion, but not from those pictures.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the, "tell us what makes it a fake" boat.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm in the, "tell us what makes it a fake" boat. >>

The piece appears to be a cast copy. The roughness on the obverse does not look "right." It has bubbles that appear to raised, not pits that are into the metal. Also the rough reverse does not seem to match the roughness of the obverse. There also raised bubbles back there too, which don't look like the usual black corrosion.

I'm not 100% sure this is bad, but it brings up enough issues to give it 90% "bad" rating. It would be interesting to see it in person and have a look at the edge.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    indeetlibindeetlib Posts: 607 ✭✭
    I thought that coin looked familiar!

I agree there's not enough in the photos to confirm or condemn authenticity (although it looks fine to me) but this thread might be of interest...link image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought that coin looked familiar!

I agree there's not enough in the photos to confirm or condemn authenticity (although it looks fine to me) but this thread might be of interest...link image >>

Could it be real?
  • Options
    indeetlibindeetlib Posts: 607 ✭✭

<< <i>

I agree there's not enough in the photos to confirm or condemn authenticity (although it looks fine to me) but this thread might be of interest...link image >>

Could it be real? >>

1. All the detail matches up with the S-1, AMERI die variety.

2. No clear signs of it being a copy of any sort.

3. Was dug up along with some barely circulated, and clearly real, CT Coppers, thus placing it in the right time period.

I'm fine with calling it real.
  • Options

Thank you for the link. Maybe it is a genuine dug coin.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm in the, "tell us what makes it a fake" boat. >>

The piece appears to be a cast copy. The roughness on the obverse does not look "right." It has bubbles that appear to raised, not pits that are into the metal. Also the rough reverse does not seem to match the roughness of the obverse. There also raised bubbles back there too, which don't look like the usual black corrosion.

I'm not 100% sure this is bad, but it brings up enough issues to give it 90% "bad" rating. It would be interesting to see it in person and have a look at the edge. >>

At 90% it is only a possible fake.

Get it to 100% and it is reportable as absolutely fake.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    The bubbles on the surface are 100% normal for dug metal as the surface reacts with moisture and chemicals in the ground The top layer of the coin becomes oxidized and corroded and starts to pull away.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file