Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just when you start to think ebay is a waste of time...

tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
....you run across an auction like this with a low buy it now price

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    javascript:image(document.messagepostform.FTVAR_MESSAGETEXTFRM);

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did it show up yet?
  • Options
    JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Are you going to send it back if it has that CC stuff on the back?
  • Options

<< <i>Did it show up yet? >>

Yes. It's as nice as the picture. Reverse on its own is MS64 CM. Obverse 63CM, shot 64.

Estimated value: $2,000
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.
    Killer score.

I'm jealous!

peacockcoins

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    True UNC luster is so very rare for the issue, congrats
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Did it show up yet? >>

Yes. It's as nice as the picture. Reverse on its own is MS64 CM. Obverse 63CM, shot 64.

Estimated value: $2,000 >>

You suck! image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of us have had the good fortune to time a scan of the new listings and find a needle gleaming in the haystack before it gets scrutinized by anyone else. You just had the luck of only having that one exposed for all of about 53 minutes in the late afternoon of a weekday.
    I'll bet you only did a half blink before you hit the BIN button. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap, I can't believe I missed that one! Congrats image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my god!!
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you going to send it back if it has that CC stuff on the back? >>

Nice score TDN.

///

Yet, I remember a few years ago winning a $50 platinum unc which was listed as a $25. I got pounced on and pressured to relinquish because the seller was one of our "own."
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pick, I second that YOU SUCK.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>[Yet, I remember a few years ago winning a $50 platinum unc which was listed as a $25. I got pounced on and pressured to relinquish because the seller was one of our "own." >>

Yes I agree. I didn't know what I was doing. Please send it back to me.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>[Yet, I remember a few years ago winning a $50 platinum unc which was listed as a $25. I got pounced on and pressured to relinquish because the seller was one of our "own." >>

Yes I agree. I didn't know what I was doing. Please send it back to me. >>

I did. Where's my money?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $2.32 shipping. image BLOCK THAT SELLER.

( Just kidding folks. Please don't harass the seller or me. I'm just having fun with one gentle giant. )
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the twins, I was expecting a BIN at 3 AM PST. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    And this is a good thing, how?

I guess it is. We all like to buy coins under their value. But I seem to remember a few days ago the rants against those who bid on silver eagles for $5 and $10 each. Those who bid on them and those who thought it was o.k. to bid on them were labeled as unethical scammers. This is a little different. In that case a multi-million dollar corporation was losing a few dollars because they listed them for less than their true value. In this case some guy who is trying to make a few bucks selling $20 and $30 Morgan and Peace dollars and a Trade Dollar that he mislabeled as an 1877-S, when in fact it was a much rarer 1877-CC. Stupidity on the seller's fault for which he paid a $2,000 price (your estimate). Then again, he may not have anticipated running into someone who may know more about Trade Dollars than any one else on the planet. On second thought, I guess the guy got what he deserved. And apparently you ripped him a good one. Nothing wrong with that. Keep on rippin' I say.

Many rants against brick and mortar shops too. How they rip the unsuspecting for a living. A particular rant comes to mind. Someone proposed to a B&M (here on the board), "So, what would you do if someone came into your shop and laid down a $2,000 gold coin and said, 'I want $500 for it', would you just take it?" I guess they thought the worst, most dishonorable thing the dealer could do would be to accept someone's foolish offer when they simply know more than the seller. But I guess you are a partner in a coin company aren't you? And you are very knowledgeable about the Trade Dollars. But I still think what you did was o.k.

No one on this board has been more misaligned for his posts about coin purchases than keets. I've seen him practically lynched for nothing more than telling some interesting stories and sharing some fabulous coins. But, I can only image the flack he would get if he had a similar rip. Even if it was just an eBay rip identical to this one. He just doesn't have the same adoring fans I guess.

If this is all good, and I guess it is from all I've read in the other posts, then I just want to apologize to all the B&M's who have been slammed for buying low and selling high. I have never posted anything about you, but I do believe you deserve an apology.

And keets, I want to apologize to you also. Although I have never posted anything about you and I have always enjoyed reading your stories, you have my apology on behalf of all those who did post and who assumed evil intent in everything you shared. And don't stop with the posts. I, for one, look forward to reading them.

But most of all I want to apologize to TDN. If anything I have written sounds like a criticism, it wasn't meant to be. I am sure most of us would have done the same, at least all those fawning in deepest admiration in the preceding posts. In any case, I believe you will appreciate the coin or the money more than the seller would have. You sound like a great business man and if you keep this up, you may be rich some day.

So, best wishes and as Connecticoin said in an earlier post-

You Suck! image
  • Options
    lostincoinslostincoins Posts: 4,278
    Thats a nice pic TDN.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an ethical matter. How comfortable are you taking advantage of someone who makes an honest mistake, or is not as bright as you are? One could argue if someone makes a living selling coins, he / she show know his / her product. The one instance where I saw someone clearly mis-price a coin (a 24 S Buff was priced as a 24 P for the particular grade), I quietly informed him of his oversight and then went on my way, but I don't think too many others think like that.

OTOH, if a dealer I genuinely dislike made such a mistake (there are a handful of them), I would gladly take advantage of this error.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Hit TDN...I also noticed that somebody sucked up his 22s Peace for $35... Looked like a 63+ maybe a 64. That's part of the Game though, as all is fair in love and war image

Erik
  • Options
    If you look at current listings and completed you will see about 5+ listing errors, oh well it is what it is and the big fish eat the smaller as it has always been.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>some guy who is trying to make a few bucks selling $20 and $30 Morgan and Peace dollars >>

Did you click on the completed listings and see the 7 slabbed $20s which sold for $1300+ each?
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/craigstbay/m.html?item=291156447924&nma=true&orig_cvip=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&si=ADcj7uRBW6fSTnuEHqt%252BEKzjpCo%253D&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
    He received plenty of $$ for the collection.

My guess is that this guy is selling his dad's collection/estate,
    thought all the valuable coins were in the slabs,
    and didn't think a raw trade dollar with punch marks was worth his time to be careful with.
    It does have an S under the eagle (above the CC, part of "GRAINS").
    His dad didn't even have it in a 2x2, so probably didn't know the value, either.

The good thing is that now these coins are in the hands of people who want them.
    And the dream of finding a diamond in the rough is alive.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like the kind of thing a Dealer should keep quiet about. It's one thing to use your knowledge in a situation where you capitalize big time by taking advantage of a novice but..........speaks volumes about the odds of a little old lady coming into your store and getting a fair deal.

The right thing to do is give it back and educate the person. THATS an honest Dealer.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    TFTF Posts: 86

<< <i>Seems like the kind of thing a Dealer should keep quiet about. It's one thing to use your knowledge in a situation where you capitalize big time by taking advantage of a novice but..........speaks volumes about the odds of a little old lady coming into your store and getting a fair deal.

The right thing to do is give it back and educate the person. THATS an honest Dealer. >>

Positive BST deals with: Mikes Coins, CED3838, MBCoin. 100% positive eBay feedback {AMF64}
  • Options
    To be fair the high valuation is predicated on it grading 63chop at PCGS which is no sure thing esp with that chop by lib's head. For example if it comes back UNC details it is about $6-800 and AU details maybe $4-500ish. While 50$ is a little low as an ask, raw chop mark trade dollars really don't have a two way market. Even I, who knows a lot of people around the series, probably couldn't get a cash offer above $200 at any given show. Graded they are still hard sells with limited retail outlets. The spreads on these things are huge as as most dealers don't know or care. When they want one they buy a cheap common date or a 74-75cc.

The value there is in knowing the good form the bad, getting it into PCGS plastic and putting into a collection or auction directly. There is quite a bit of effort to maxamize the value of that coin and the basal value is actually quite low in its current state.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There seems to be a double standard in here regarding coin deals where one party has come way out ahead. If a dealer makes a cool $10k on flipping a coin (slabbed to boot) in a sight seen transaction he is bombarded as a crook or jerk. If a supposed non dealer gets a really good pickup from a seller (online or show - does not matter) he can come in here and brag about it and get cudos and the little grade school "u suck" comments. Oh and I just love the posts "did it come in." Heaven forbid the seller would realize the rip at the last minute before shipping and keep it avoiding the give away.

These transactions are what they are. The fact is the person who has knowledge has an edge in Numismatics. The person who is careless in managing his inventory or ignorant may give away a coin. The coin business is filled with lots of competition. At many shows the people walking in the door with money who are strong buyers may be rarer than the coins themselves.

One piece of advice is be carefully in managing your online pricing, listings or showing coins at a show. Avoid putting more coins out from your display case at a show for someone to look through than you can manage. Do not let someone reach in your case and grab a handfull of coins to look thru. Be especially carefull if your in a situation where your showing coins to someone and the info is upside down from your point of view (right side up from theirs). There are many who will try to rip you even in this situation. If you do make a sale then realize you have been ripped and can keep it from being concluded, do so. You don't owe that buyer anything.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if TDN financially backs a Bakery would it automatically make him a Baker image

I'm sure this was bought with his collector hat on as I doubt this will be resold.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I see all the alts have come to visit. image
  • Options

<< <i>I see all the alts have come to visit. image >>

cmon boss. You know how jealousy rears it's ugly head. Those types always see "bad" in what is decent and good about this place and our hobby, in general.

Those detractors are in the multitudes the world over , in every field.
  • Options

<< <i>So if TDN financially backs a Bakery would it automatically make him a Baker image

I'm sure this was bought with his collector hat on as I doubt this will be resold. >>

Exactly. Right into my chopmark collection. And you are spot on about the baker part. That would make anyone who owns CLCT stock a coin dealer.
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done, Bruce. I'm jealous!
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Page 1 had me thinking this is the best ebay thread I can recall...

by page 2, it was back to normal for this place. image
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Page 1 had me thinking this is the best ebay thread I can recall...

by page 2, it was back to normal for this place. image >>

how would it affect your analysis if i told you this is all still page 1 for me. imageimage

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether collector hat or dealer hat makes no difference. It is what it is lol.

I like the comment by Elcontador
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Page 1 had me thinking this is the best ebay thread I can recall...

by page 2, it was back to normal for this place. image >>

how would it affect your analysis if i told you this is all still page 1 for me. imageimage
    . >>

image I like that thinking….
    reminds me of the ancient scrolls.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see all the alts have come to visit. image >>

But no longer the robotic ones.

Good hit TDN.
  • Options
    If a little old lady walks into a shop with that coin and asks what it's worth, and you tell her 50 bucks, you are a crook. I agree with that.

If someone lists that coin on eBay, for the whole world to buy at 50 bucks, he is just plain stupid. I agree with that.

Edited to add: It's time for this "you suck" nonsense to finally go away, it is stupid. I agree with that.
  • Options
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those who are still up in arms about TDN ripping a " $2000 " coin for 50 bucks....please re-read Cryptos comments.
  • Options
    Very nice pickup! image
  • Options

<< <i>Those who are still up in arms about TDN ripping a " $2000 " coin for 50 bucks....please re-read Cryptos comments. >>

The $2000 number came from TDN.

Seemed high to me with the choppies, but TDN has a much better view of that market than I do.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Those who are still up in arms about TDN ripping a " $2000 " coin for 50 bucks....please re-read Cryptos comments. >>

The $2000 number came from TDN.

Seemed high to me with the choppies, but TDN has a much better view of that market than I do. >>

If it grades that is a fair range and while TDN Has a great eye it is still a big if. Chops are graded somewhat inconsistently to put it mildly.
  • Options
    The reality is TDN paid $48 and change too much for it. It's just a dollar and if you don't collect you don't care.
    What'd he really get ? $.28 in Ebay bucks ? image

Total sarcasm intended and everyone who knows me knows I mean no harm.
    For collectors: This is WHAT WE DO and this is WHAT we celebrate and give KUDOS for. It's a great score for a great collector.
    God knows he's paid multi million dollars for a nickel. I am for the winners who have no problem teaching their own way !

Whoever brought up "keets" in this thread, earlier…
    Keets is a better teacher than most of us. He endures just as much "flack" for bringing the "story".
    So did Boom ( I felt he was unfairly treated here) So did Ken (ksteelheader). Walmann, YaHa…. RWB, etc., A lot of those people (girls included) many are no longer here….
    And the real teachers are thinning out here.

Let's remember the person selling did NOT do his due diligence. There is a passage that says : "The diligent hand shall prosper".
    Numismatically this can be translated to mean : …. So shall the sharp eye and smart collector.

Who would begrudge this ? Honestly ? Ask yourself. Don't hold the candle to the people here sharing.

THIS is 'our" passion.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole thing reminds me of my greatest pick and some of the comments that followed it. It was an 1879 CC Morgan, raw, but despite the seller's poor pics, it looked like it might have some MS luster. The listing was already 3 days old when I finally came across it, starting bid at $249 with a Buy it Now at $300. I was initially skeptical because the listing was so old - some expert should have snagged it by now if it was real was my thinking. I did hours of research, making sure the dies were correct and date/mintmark positions were correct. I bit the bullet. The coin arrived and it was definitely MS, but certainly a lower grade. It graded at MS61 from our host and I was a very happy camper (still am!).

If someone comes to you and asks what something is worth, and you lie - that is unethical. If that same someone doesn't take the time to learn about the true value of his/her item, slaps a price on it that the whole world has an opportunity to purchase it for and sells it for less than true value - that is his/her problem.

I suspect that a lot of the whiner/complainer types are just envious and jealous that they didn't find it first. I am certainly envious of TDNs score, but also inspired it. It gives me all the more reason to continue spending the hours poring over listings that I do.

Great pick, TDN!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a little old lady walks into a shop with that coin and asks what it's worth, and you tell her 50 bucks, you are a crook. I agree with that.
    If someone lists that coin on eBay, for the whole world to buy at 50 bucks, he is just plain stupid. I agree with that.

man, we can have fun with that.

• Options
    A good pic is a good pic The guy did not know that that mint mark changed the value. We all pay tuition when starting out and many of us have spent more than 2000.00 over our life time for our knowledge. This situation for the seller is a good way for him to learn about coins and I hope it inspires him and he gets into the hobby as he is just selling the coins off for someone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file