Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 'Wild' 1855 Princess $1 Gold has just come back to me from Phil at PCGS.....Post your Princess Go

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
This has got to be the wildest toned and cracked gold coin I ever purchased.
There is so much going on with the surfaces......perhaps an old gold collector could shed some light on this coin.
I thought Phil did an outstanding job capturing the toning.
Opinions are much appreciated.......don't be shy, show me your Princess gold.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beatuiful piece! It has so much going for it; condition, color, tone and clashed dies!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the look of this. She has just about everything going on......in a good way.

Phil did a great job.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my princesses.

Edited to add another one.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some great looking $1 Gold posted in this thread!

This is not a $1 Princess Gold, but an earlier $1 Liberty Gold. I bought this raw at my local B&M for $300 -- then got it certified as MS64 through PCGS, which gave me an instant $1000+ profit. Normally when you walk out of a coin dealership, you have a coin worth about 15% less than what you paid -- not 400% more.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me want to go shopping again …
    My little princess understands. She loves me spending money on her.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice gold..... unique... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Princess with a C.
    imageimage
    liefgold
  • Options
    I like the look of the OP's toning. I have some with similar color. But I have been told many different things about what that bluish toning is from. Some have said it is an attempt at recoloring (doctoring), I have also heard it is due to reaction from contact with leather in a pouch. Does anyone know for sure?
    liefgold
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

imageimage
    Craig

• Options
    Just got this one back from Phil.....MS62
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My little Princess with a D.image

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    Gorgeous 1855-D with a full date. Very tough to find.
    Congrats JJ!
    liefgold
  • Options
    dagman100dagman100 Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Wow - While I am partial to half eagles, these $1 issues are nice!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spectacular, GB! I was going to show my '53 AU58 but it doesn't hold a candle to that.

Truly love it! What character.
    Lance.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am working on a date and mint set of the Type I gold dollars. I'm now 79% complete according to the registry. Among all the pieces I have, this 1850-C might be the best with respect to grade, rarity and the sharpness of the strike. PCGS graded it AU-58. I wish I could find them all like this in AU-58 holders.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Nice Coin Goldbully! I am pretty sure that I am the person who you bought the coin from on ebay, unless someone else sold it again.

I am a little ticked though. I posted pictures of this coin on the forum, and most everyone told me that it was unattractive and was most likely treated with iodine.

See thread here:
    Original 1855 $1 gold Link

I personally loved the coin, but out of concern, I decided to sell it at a loss. So, it strikes me as odd that everyone questioned the color, and many folks called it unattractive when I posted the coin, but it gets nothing but praise when posted here.

It is a lovely coin in hand Goldbully, and I hope you enjoy it for all of its beauty.

I just wish now that I had not let myself be convinced by the folks on this forum as to how terrible a coin this was and how the surfaces had been altered.....that was part of the reason that I sold the coin. The trueview PCGS pictures are very nice and well detailed, much more so than my own....but I think my pictures better portray the beautiful deep orange and irridescent blue on the coin.
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice gold..... unique... Cheers, RickO >>

Funny, on my thread you called it "doctored".
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish now that I had not let myself be convinced by the folks on this forum as to how terrible a coin this was and how the surfaces had been altered.....that was part of the reason that I sold the coin.

Maybe you did do the right thing. Perhaps the crowd was right the first time and wrong the second time?

FWIW, I would not feel comfortable judging the coin based on any of the images. I would need to see if any foreign substances are sitting on the surfaces of the coin, and if there is any trace of cleaning beneath the color.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    johnny54321, you have a point.

The forum mocked the coin with your pics and loved the coin with the TrueView image.

I feel our pain.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>johnny54321, you have a point.

The forum mocked the coin with your pics and loved the coin with the TrueView image.

I feel our pain. >>

While I'm still on the fence and would prefer to see the coin in hand, the pics from the original thread made the coin look very different than the Trueview. Your original photos made the lighter fields
    areas appear darker than the peripherals and the better pics make it appear to be the opposite. I think you need to develop your expertise in gold or resign yourself to being influenced by the thoughts of others who only have the benefit of a poor picture to make an assessment upon.
  • Options
    Though the quality and detail of the trueview pictures are clearly superior to mine, the color of the coin in my pictures was very accurate to what the coin looks like beneath the iridescent light bulb. As you know, the same coin can look different depending on the lighting. I did not alter the color, or anything with my photos....it is true to the appearance of the coin underneath that light setting. If my pictures were so poor, then why did no one comment on that? Obviously the photos were good enough for most folks to comfortably call it AT....though I think some people said that just to fit in with the group opinion. I showed the same pictures on the other coin forum, and no one questioned the originality. And yes, part of the reason I sold it was because I was concerned based on the opinions here, but I also sold it because it was a duplicate.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. It is a nice quality coin, and I am glad it went to someone who appreciates the beautiful toning!! Enjoy it goldbully!
  • Options

<< <i>Though the quality and detail of the trueview pictures are clearly superior to mine, the color of the coin in my pictures was very accurate to what the coin looks like beneath the iridescent light bulb. As you know, the same coin can look different depending on the lighting. I did not alter the color, or anything with my photos....it is true to the appearance of the coin underneath that light setting. If my pictures were so poor, then why did no one comment on that? Obviously the photos were good enough for most folks to comfortably call it AT....though I think some people said that just to fit in with the group opinion. I showed the same pictures on the other coin forum, and no one questioned the originality. And yes, part of the reason I sold it was because I was concerned based on the opinions here, but I also sold it because it was a duplicate.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. It is a nice quality coin, and I am glad it went to someone who appreciates the beautiful toning!! Enjoy it goldbully! >>

I will enjoy it Johnny.....she just came back from PCGS......she looks great in hand....thanks for your passion and coin history.

GB
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>johnny54321, you have a point.

I feel our pain. >>

It's all relative.
    Lighting.
    Angle.
    Monitor color clarity.
    Waking up on the right/wrong side of the bed.
    Beer or whiskey.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file