Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Pairings (Post yours)

2»

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what you mean. Sometimes when I have been working on a type set, and find a similar piece in a different denomination (as in the OP example of the 1848-C quarter- and half-eagles), I've thought about buying the "twin".

On my budget, though, there are no matched pairs of Charlotte gold coins!

Here are some from my old Love Token Seated Dime set, though, just for a different take on the phenomenon. In both cases the pairs seem to have been engraved by the same hand, and it's interesting that the pairs stayed together over time, though it shouldn't be surprising with the cufflinks/studs in the second pair, I guess. The first pair must have been used for earrings at some point, or on a charm bracelet.

(1851)

(1853)

Naturally I sold these with the pairings intact when I broke up that collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, great Classic QE set and nice early gold. Awesome color on that 1806.
  • Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver and Bronze Libertas Americana Medals:

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another chance to show the fraternal twins.
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    Originally posted by: robec

Purchased from two different sellers a couple years apart.

Wow, that's uncanny, amazing, and attractive. imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    More love token pairings on Seated dimes.

I semi-unintentionally ended up with a lot of themed pairs in that set, bought from different sources, unlike the two pairs above.

Lighthouses:

Sailing ships:

NYC landmarks
    (note that the engravings are contemporary to the period in which the landmarks were built)

Farm animals:

I could go on and post the pair with horseshoe designs, but you get the idea.

• Options

Resurrecting this thread... with some Spanish Colonials
    Two 1811-L JP 8R's, one the imaginary bust, the other the Armoured bust and less frequently seen

Now two transitional varieties of with the Carlos III portrait and different styles of the Carlos IV or IIII legend. The former purchased from eBay last night and the inspiration for this thread. The latter the finest graded of any date for the transitional type is 1789 and 1790.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a pair that work well together:

:+1:

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say this counts ;)

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

Seems to me those two pieces should be put in a single package....double holder? Because if they ever get separated, someone is going to get confused by "Coin #2". ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this idea of ;pairing; :smile:

I may have to try it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of pairings if you don't mind.
    First a pair of Restitution Papal medals struck in the 1500's

Then a pair of Pope Pius IX Papal medals struck in the 1800's

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

1819 B-4 early die state: You can see the crack just starting down by the date.

1819 B-4 Late die state:

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it have to be just a "pair" :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2017 9:54PM

Irish Gunmoney Halfcrowns, the first the large sized crown the second reduced in size. The coins are not just dated by year but by month to determine the order for redemption upon successful completion of the the war. Unfortunately for James II and the holders of gunmoney, the Catholics lost and the coins became basically worthless. Now they are abundant in low grade and mostly corroded, in high grade like these they are quite rare.

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread... I missed it originally.. was on a consulting assignment at that time.... Some great coins and the pairing concept is very interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options

A three pairing of 1844 One Penny Model patterns with 3 different metals.
    One silver, one copper and one copper/zinc, all with an outer copper band.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small dollar proposals and issued coins

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first Dahlonega Mint coin, the 1838-D half eagle.

The first Dahlonega Mint quarter eagle, the 1839-D

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos don't do these coins justice as they show more color in hand - sold these a few years ago to fund a big project. Consecutive old green holders. Wish I had kept them.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

Here are a few pairing of Papal medals depicting the opening of the holy door in the Anno Santo/Holy Year issue. This occurs once every 25 years on the hundred, 25, 50 and 75th years of each century.
    The first 2 examples in each pairing are depictions on 1725 medals as comparisons.

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

'dude

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CascadeChris said:

Way cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list