Home U.S. Coin Forum

New tracking...your perishable gold has been destroyed. Update, coins gone. But now..in Cali!

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
This should be fun to hear about. Here is my tracking on some gold coins sent registered. I am sure the shipper will love to see this!!!

5/3 update: Tracking shows a scan in San Francisco last night. A weird scan since SF is 100 miles from me and registered should only get scanned once at my PO. The Ebay transaction has been cancelled and I was refunded. I sent a message to the seller today that we need to talk!
http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good god, I hope you're mistaken and the sender was shipping you a blueberry pie!
    What a nightmare

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The recipient may not know.

It usually pays to strike first on notifying the recipient about us mail troubles, but on this one I'm unsure how freaked out they will get.

The good news is that it is registered.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an Ebay purchase of gold so I sent them a note. This was the tracking on the ebay system. I just told them to check tracking as I had never seen it before. I didnt want to panic and make it worse for them. I cant imagine anything perishable could be sent registered. That makes no sense.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
    As a seller... especially on ebay.... I get involved immediately with us mail troubles in an effort to make it better for them. Perhaps remind them it is fully insured just in case....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>As a seller... especially on ebay.... I get involved immediately with us mail troubles in an effort to make it better for them. Perhaps remind them it is fully insured just in case.... >>

That is why I let the seller know. I went crazy buying stuff and was checking the trackings, then saw this.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insurance is irrelevent for the ebay buyer, he has buyer protection. Once had an ebay seller ask me, before shipping, if I wanted to pay extra for insurance. I replied that I didn't need it but he might want to consider the fact that he needs it.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it was bouillon instead of bullion.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would bother me.... sure glad it was not my shipment...Cheers, RickO
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be curious how this one ends.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe it was bouillon instead of bullion. >>

Very clever!
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with everything!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you wash your hands before packaging as maybe the USPS Sniffer detected mustard, pizza sauce, or baby food imageimage

Good luck as I hope it turns out alright! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    The seller contacted me, package destroyed so it sounds like someone stole the coins. Very unsettling to have that happen to a registered package. I will get refunded, he will file insurance claim. $2800 in gold gone to the PO.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's pretty crazy... hope this is an isolated incident. Should be with Registered as the P.O. should be able to track down who last had the package intact pretty easily if they want to.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller contacted me, package destroyed so it sounds like someone stole the coins. Very unsettling to have that happen to a registered package. I will get refunded, he will file insurance claim. $2800 in gold gone to the PO. >>

Wow, if I recall correctly the last person to sign for the package is on the hook for the claim.
  • coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    Wow, really? There needs to be an internal criminal investigation at USPS...confidence in Registered mail cannot be allowed to erode.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They probably have garbage sniffing golden retrievers.
    Tempus fugit.
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Were these gold foil covered chocolate coins?

Sorry to hear this. Hope it works out and all parties are made whole.
    I was told by one of my local postal clerks a couple years ago that registered mail doesn't always get shipped under lock-n-key with everyone signing off on it along the way.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you seem to forget, or not comprehend that Postal articles including Registered Service are NOT in the custody of Postal employees the entire time they are in transit. The USPS does contract to private enterprises like FedEx and UPS and even individual OTR truckers for assistance in transport. Anything is possible despite the marketing assurances published by the USPS about the security of Registered Service.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

This one needs to be escalated to the top dog in DC postal inspector.

This smells like theft.

<< <i>Wow! Good luck to the seller with his insurance claim. Pretty open and shut case tho. >>

It's not that easy with Registered as they still initially take a no fault stance at first and still interrogate the shipper and receiver for facts prior to paying the claim.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always been wary of using Registered Mail for packages as it typically takes longer to arrive and a dishonest person will assume there is something of great value in the package. For high dollar packages, I prefer to use Express Mail as the time the package spends in transit is often less than 24 hours and insurance is not that expensive using that level of service. Almost seems like just sending it registered invites thieves to help themselves.

I'm really sorry to hear this and hope you noth are made whole quickly.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty unsettling to hear this about Registered Mail. I hope you are made whole, and promptly.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller contacted me, package destroyed so it sounds like someone stole the coins. Very unsettling to have that happen to a registered package. I will get refunded, he will file insurance claim. $2800 in gold gone to the PO. >>

This definitely sounds like a case for the US Postal Inspectors.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I'm nervous sending my primary collection to cac. Wish they had a show option.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The post office is laughable when it comes to these extra services, especially insurance. Why do we have to pay to insure it from the people we are paying to ship it? This never made sense to me. If they can't handle the thieves from within, then they need to revamp the postal police & inspectors from the top down.

The other shippers are probably only slightly better.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

<< <i>The post office is laughable when it comes to these extra services, especially insurance. Why do we have to pay to insure it from the people we are paying to ship it? This never made sense to me. If they can't handle the thieves from within, then they need to revamp the postal police & inspectors from the top down.

The other shippers are probably only slightly better. >>

Shipping charges are just for the post office to consider shipping it. If you want them to actually get I someplace then insurance is required.

I've heard it said that pirates invented insurance. If you want your ship to actually arrive then you might want to pay them off.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is why I'm nervous sending my primary collection to cac. Wish they had a show option. >>

if you are in the NJ area you can bring them in and wait for them to be done
    LCoopie = Les
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't think that registered mail could be combined with priority mail

LCoopie = Les
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't think that registered mail could be combined with priority mail >>

It isn't. First class mail over 13 ounces gets priority rates whether registered or not or whether priority handling is used or not.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've heard it said that pirates invented insurance. >>

I like that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

<< <i>The post office is laughable when it comes to these extra services, especially insurance. Why do we have to pay to insure it from the people we are paying to ship it? This never made sense to me. If they can't handle the thieves from within, then they need to revamp the postal police & inspectors from the top down.

The other shippers are probably only slightly better. >>

Simply put, they aren't a perfect business any more than FEDEX or UPS is.

<< <i>

<< <i>This is why I'm nervous sending my primary collection to cac. Wish they had a show option. >>

if you are in the NJ area you can bring them in and wait for them to be done >>

Good to know, thanks
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those screaming, "THEFT", keep in mind that sometimes 'destroyed' really means destroyed.

I'm thinking along the lines of the FEDEX truck that hit a bus in northern California a couple of weeks ago. Fire destroyed both the bus and the FEDEX truck.

Obviously, I don't know if that accident had ANYTHING to do with this shipment...But in a case like that, yeah. It was destroyed.

(One would think FEDEX (or the Postal Service), would be responsible for a loss along those lines, and not some other insurer. But it may explain why it's unlikely anybody will give a more detailed description than "destroyed".)
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    The point is... somewhere along the line someone made the conscious decision to deem a package of gold perishable. Now either the seller actually shipped rotten tomatoes (or the like) hoping the package would get destroyed alone the way – which seems like quite a gamble; someone stole the coins and decided they could get away with calling the package perishable and have it destroyed (sans gold); or the package was mistaken for an item that contained perishables and the gold was actually destroyed.

The later two seem the most plausible to me.

<< <i>For those screaming, "THEFT", keep in mind that sometimes 'destroyed' really means destroyed.

I'm thinking along the lines of the FEDEX truck that hit a bus in northern California a couple of weeks ago. Fire destroyed both the bus and the FEDEX truck.

Obviously, I don't know if that accident had ANYTHING to do with this shipment...But in a case like that, yeah. It was destroyed.

(One would think FEDEX (or the Postal Service), would be responsible for a loss along those lines, and not some other insurer. But it may explain why it's unlikely anybody will give a more detailed description than "destroyed".) >>

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't think that registered mail could be combined with priority mail >>

Registered with Priority Mail

I did not know that either! Maybe that's where it all went wrong when USPS changed the works!!

...edited link works now.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of you seem to forget, or not comprehend that Postal articles including Registered Service are NOT in the custody of Postal employees the entire time they are in transit. The USPS does contract to private enterprises like FedEx and UPS and even individual OTR truckers for assistance in transport. Anything is possible despite the marketing assurances published by the USPS about the security of Registered Service. >>

<< <i>It is an Ebay purchase of gold so I sent them a note. This was the tracking on the ebay system. I just told them to check tracking as I had never seen it before. I didnt want to panic and make it worse for them. I cant imagine anything perishable could be sent registered. That makes no sense. >>

How does one even get a registered tracking number on eBay since these are assigned at the PO? I don't believe that you can purchase and print a label for such a service online anywhere.

<< <i>Some of you seem to forget, or not comprehend that Postal articles including Registered Service are NOT in the custody of Postal employees the entire time they are in transit. The USPS does contract to private enterprises like FedEx and UPS and even individual OTR truckers for assistance in transport. Anything is possible despite the marketing assurances published by the USPS about the security of Registered Service. >>

I could be in error, but I have a hard time believing that a registered responsible agent at a P. O. would just hand a bag of registered mail over to a random truck driver with no accountability. They have to be bonded just like any postal employee authorized to handle registered mail.
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For those screaming, "THEFT", keep in mind that sometimes 'destroyed' really means destroyed.

".) >>

It was mailed after the crash.....
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    One of two things likely happened:
    1. Some perishable package leaked onto yours, and rather than re-bagging it like they do for damaged packages, they chose to destroy it and take the insurance hit, or
    2. Someone had the scanner on the wrong setting, and the package will show up shortly.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How does one even get a registered tracking number on eBay since these are assigned at the PO? I don't believe that you can purchase and print a label for such a service online anywhere. >>

The shipper manually enters the tracking number into paypal (which auto enters it into ebay). Always a wise thing to do when shipping outside of the ebay/paypal labels. Provides peace of mind to the buyer and allows PP/ebay access to tracking info in event of a claim.

All registered mail is charged at the first class rate or the priority rate (if over 13 oz.). Still travels as snail's pace because of security features. Unfortunately if registered is sent priority usps tracking will show an expected delivery date base on priority, not based on registered. This gets a few buyer on edge when it's not there by the third day. Those purchasing registered should always specify first class if it is under 13 oz. and save the few extra bucks that will not get it there any quicker.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>

".) >>

It was mailed after the crash..... >>

Aside from timing I am not sure how quick they would be to update the system and know what was on the specific truck. But they must have a way to know those things.

Lots of what ifs on this one, just a weird scenario.

I was issued a refund from the seller, who oddly doesnt seem that upset. I would be going nuts as the shipper.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For those screaming, "THEFT", keep in mind that sometimes 'destroyed' really means destroyed. >>

Perhaps, but the PO gave a rationale for their having "destroyed" it. Saying that the item was perishable and therefore the third party transport truck was struck by a meteor doesn't make as much sense.

<< <i>

<< <i>For those screaming, "THEFT", keep in mind that sometimes 'destroyed' really means destroyed. >>

Perhaps, but the PO gave a rationale for their having "destroyed" it. Saying that the item was perishable and therefore the third party transport truck was struck by a meteor doesn't make as much sense. >>

Or maybe they meant that it perished!
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't that have to be declared when you tender the item for shipment?
    Ok, so I guess you figured it's not the job for the top postal inspector, but I'd still contact the postal inspector service.

Coincidentally, I needed to go to more than 1 PO today.
    Both thought it was unusual for a metal item to be flagged this way. One mentioned that if just the label survived they should put that into a damaged mail package and give that. Another suggested that someone lamed out on the tracking update. However, both thought it unusual that a metal item was tagged perishable and thus damaged.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file