Home Metal Detecting

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o What??? No silver??? Amazing..... ;) Better luck on the next sites. Cheers, RickO

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2021 1:54PM

I've been busy lately and haven't had much time for metal detecting. I was out of town yesterday and visited a site that I hadn't been to since October. This site is known to have some older coins. The site is very difficult to hunt with an Etrac. You can barely maintain a threshold due to all the metallic junk in the ground. I wanted to test my Vanquish 540 at this challenging site.

In a two hour hunt, I managed to find an 1898 Barber dime with the Vanquish 540, plus three wheat cents. I also dug up a huge pile of junk chasing false signals. After I put the Vanquish away, I used my Equinox 600 for an hour and found a very nice 1913-D Type I Buffalo nickel.

The site may have a lot of junk, but some nice treasures as well. What was previously on the site?? Cheers, RickO

edited May 30, 2021 5:49AM

I hadn't metal detected for three weeks, but was out of town again yesterday and hit the same site as before with my Equinox 600: 1914 Barber dime, 1920-D Mercury dime, and one wheat cent.

Two silvers and a wheatie.... You are consistent.... and that site is a real treasure. Cheers, RickO

I made a serious effort at metal detecting today for the first time in almost three months. I visited several new sites and dug 14 wheat cents, no silver. 12 of the wheat cents came from a single site.

Nice haul of wheaties..... However, I am amazed - you found NO silver??? That is so rare for you.....Good luck in the next outing. Cheers, RickO

• pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's odd to find so many wheats but no silver. At least you were able to get out though.

I hunted for 90 minutes with the Equinox 600 at my out of town site yesterday: 1903 Indian cent and two wheat cents.

Nice... IHC's are not a common find anymore.... Cheers, RickO

How are you liking the Equinox?

@pcgs69 said:
    How are you liking the Equinox?

I have been using my Equinox 600 since February 2018. I prefer my Etrac for deep coin hunting. I consider the Equinox to be a specialty machine for extremely trashy sites, mineralized sites, and for convenient packing when traveling by air.

I haven't detected for the last two months, but, briefly got out today at a site I have hunted heavily in the past. I found two wheat cents and a large silver religious cross.

Two months is a long break for you.... Hope all is well. And at least you found silver (wheaties are good too). Cheers, RickO

at least some silver saved the day. Do you know its weight?

I went back to the same site as last week, four wheat cents this time.

• I recommend the 250 because it is a good entry level machine, for many, it stays their favorite for years.

@emily569 said:
    I recommend the 250 because it is a good entry level machine, for many, it stays their favorite for years.

I am not sure why you posted here; however, the Garrett Ace 250, and all the other single frequency Ace detectors, are pieces of junk compared to a Minelab Vanquish, which can be purchased for approximately the same price.

Back to the same site again: 1950-D dime, sterling religious medallion, and one wheat cent. The silver dime was perfectly on edge and gave a very weak signal.

And the silver stream continues..... Nice finds. Cheers, RickO

Back to the same site with low expectations: 1945-P war nickel, dateless Buffalo nickel, and four wheat cents.

Still hung in there with the 'silver' nickel...Good finds. Cheers, RickO

Same site: 1936 Buffalo nickel and two wheat cents. The wheat cents were stuck to each other in the same hole and were dated 1937 and 1940. I presume they were dropped about 80 years ago.

I spent 7 hours at my out of town site yesterday, using my Equinox 600. I didn't do nearly as well as I had been hoping: 1911 Liberty nickel and two wheat cents.

No silver? That is rare... but a Liberty nickel is definitely a nice find. Cheers, RickO

I hunted two new places on Saturday, neither of which was very good. I found a 1944 Mercury dime and not even a single wheat cent.

Well, at least you found silver... One must try these spots in order to find the occasional treasure trove. Cheers, RickO

I visited some new sites today and had my best day in recent memory, although that's not saying much given how seldom I have hunted this year: 1944 Mercury dime, 1963-D dime, 1964 dime, two wheat cents, and a sterling religious medallion.

Nice silver haul there... You may not have hunted often, but you have done well when you did get out. Cheers, RickO

• MisterTim1962MisterTim1962 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2021 6:23PM

I am not sure why you posted here; however, the Garrett Ace 250, and all the other single frequency Ace detectors, are pieces of junk compared to a Minelab Vanquish, which can be purchased for approximately the same price.

Sorry, but you are SO wrong about Garrett detectors. My AT Pro has helped me find over 200 pre-1900 coins, plus hundreds of 1700's and early 1800's flat buttons, not to mention quite a few colonial shoe buckles. Definitely a great metal detector. I've had it for six years now and never had a problem with it.

Also found the coin pictured in my avatar with my AT Pro. It's a 1785 Bar Cent, which is a very rare coin. The only one currently on eBay is listed for around $28,000. Mine is in rough shape, but still worth a couple grand. Found it near a 1700's cellar hole that was full of iron. My AT Pro locked on to the signal in all that iron with no problems.

As for the Minelab Vanquish, that's junk in my book. How anyone can metal detect with a machine that's not waterproof is beyond me. If they're too chintzy to make it waterproof, what else did they cut corners on? No thanks.

@MisterTim1962 said:

Sorry, but you are SO wrong about Garrett detectors. My AT Pro has helped me find over 200 pre-1900 coins, plus hundreds of 1700's and early 1800's flat buttons, not to mention quite a few colonial shoe buckles. Definitely a great metal detector. I've had it for six years now and never had a problem with it.

Also found the coin pictured in my avatar with my AT Pro. It's a 1785 Bar Cent, which is a very rare coin. The only one currently on eBay is listed for around $28,000. Mine is in rough shape, but still worth a couple grand. Found it near a 1700's cellar hole that was full of iron. My AT Pro locked on to the signal in all that iron with no problems.

As for the Minelab Vanquish, that's junk in my book. How anyone can metal detect with a machine that's not waterproof is beyond me. If they're too chintzy to make it waterproof, what else did they cut corners on? No thanks.

I didn't mention the AT series detectors, just the Ace series. Although I have no respect for the AT Pro, AT Gold, and AT Max, they are a step above the entry level Ace series.

You seem to be suffering from a logical fallacy, i.e., you assume that your detector must be great because it has made some great finds. In reality, you have some great sites to hunt, but, are using a mediocre detector. I can't imagine how much historic material you are leaving behind because your detector is suboptimal for the job.

If you want to make more finds in colonial cellar holes, you should abandon your AT Pro immediately and get a machine with a fast processing speed such as an XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, or even a Minelab Vanquish. The Nokta Legend and Deus II, neither of which is on the market yet, would also be better choices than an AT Pro.

Otherwise, enjoy your AT Pro and leave behind a few tree coins for the next guy. As much as I love my Etrac, it sure wouldn't be my choice for a colonial cellar hole full of iron nails.

• You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is, just an opinion. Feel free to post some of your amazing finds and then I'll post some of mine. You will lose that one, trust me. And it has nothing to do with my location. I find the good stuff because I do research and go deep into the woods where no one has ever detected. My AT Pro does great in heavy iron. You just have to go slow and learn the machine. I miss nothing because I hunt a spot to death before giving up on it.

Funny how everyone who brags about their latest and greatest metal detector always compares it to the AT Pro and feels the need to put it down. Just the way it is when your number one, I guess. Like that clown on YouTube (Calabash) who's always trashing the AT Pro, but blocks any comments on his videos. What a coward...

@MisterTim1962 said:
    You're entitled to your opinion, but that's all it is, just an opinion. Feel free to post some of your amazing finds and then I'll post some of mine. You will lose that one, trust me. And it has nothing to do with my location. I find the good stuff because I do research and go deep into the woods where no one has ever detected. My AT Pro does great in heavy iron. You just have to go slow and learn the machine. I miss nothing because I hunt a spot to death before giving up on it.

Funny how everyone who brags about their latest and greatest metal detector always compares it to the AT Pro and feels the need to put it down. Just the way it is when your number one, I guess. Like that clown on YouTube (Calabash) who's always trashing the AT Pro, but blocks any comments on his videos. What a coward...

With the exception of a few things I found in 2013, all of my finds are listed in this thread, close to 500 silver coins. This is a rather strange place for you to challenge me to post some finds. Here they are, eight and a half years worth. Nobody is finding colonial artifacts here in Illinois by the way. Once again, you confuse site quality with detector quality.

I have owned an AT Pro in the past and know its capabilities, which are rather limited. I have also owned an XP Deus, a Fisher F-75, various Fisher CZ detectors including Dankowski tuned CZ3Ds, every variant of Minelab Explorer, the Nokta Impact, various high end Russian detectors made by AKA, pulse induction detectors made by Whites and Garrett, the Minelab Vanquish 540 and 440, and even a lowly Garrett Ace 250 among various other detectors. Based on experience with all these machines, I know that the Etrac and Equinox are currently the best combination of machines for my kind of detecting. That's not my opinion. That's a scientific conclusion based on extensive testing and comparison of detectors. I am always looking for better equipment to do the job. I am currently testing a Tarsacci by the way. My guess is that you have never used a detector other than the AT Pro and mistakenly conclude it is the best because you have made some good finds on virgin sites with it.

Apparently you have no idea about masking or loss of ID at depth, and I suppose ignorance is bliss. Enjoy your AT Pro and virgin sites; but, please do not spread misinformation about detector capabilities in my thread. There are much better detectors than the AT Pro on the market. Please start your own thread if you want to sing the praises of the AT Pro. This thread is for the posting of my finds, not for arguing about detectors.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 I thoroughly enjoy your accomplishments and expertise. I am only in competition with myself. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    @Bayard1908 I thoroughly enjoy your accomplishments and expertise. I am only in competition with myself. Have a good day. Peace Roy

FYI. It was a pleasure to meet Roy a few weeks ago. He is a classic! I hope we have the opportunity to get together in the future. Good luck with the hunt Roy!

We had unseasonably warm temperatures today; so, I arranged to take a day off work and do some detecting. I visited a new site and did alright: 1952-D dime, 1959-D dime, Buffalo nickel, and four wheat cents. I also found a very fake Spanish gold doubloon on the surface.

edited December 2, 2021 11:23PM

This thread is for the posting of my finds, not for arguing about detectors.

Sorry, but you don't own this thread. I will post any comment I like here, got it? This is a discussion board for all, not just for you to brag about your latest Merc or Rosie find. ROTFLMAO!

• Here's a REAL find for you. Not some garbage Rosie or Merc that's common as dirt.

That is a very nice coin... How deep was it?? Cheers, RickO

• About 5 inches down. Rang up as an 88. Cleaned it up a little bit, but it still needs some work.

@MisterTim1962 said:

This thread is for the posting of my finds, not for arguing about detectors.

Sorry, but you don't own this thread. I will post any comment I like here, got it? This is a discussion board for all, not just for you to brag about your latest Merc or Rosie find. ROTFLMAO!

Keep it civil and on topic, if you don't want to get banned. I will request that you be banned if you continue polluting this thread.

You gave an opinion on a metal detector and I replied. Sorry if you think you can control what is posted here. We'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.

The temperature got into the 40s on Sunday and I visited a couple of new places: 1952-D dime and two wheat cents.

Silver finds continue... You should have a good silver total this year. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Silver finds continue... You should have a good silver total this year. Cheers, RickO

I didn't do much detecting this year. My silver coin total is very low this year, worst since 2014.

@Bayard1908 ... Sorry to hear that. I enjoy reading of your silver finds... Did not realize you had MD'd so much less this year. Here's wishing you better luck in 2022. Cheers, RickO

The weather was in the 60s yesterday, and I went detecting at some previously productive sites that I haven't visited for a year or more. A 1925 wheat cent was the only obsolete coin I found, looks like it was dropped circa 1925 based on the condition though.

A nice old wheat cent... I found a '30 and '37 in the coin star last week... But no silver? Cheers, RickO

I went to the hunted out park near my home for a couple of hours yesterday: two wheat cents and a deep old pocket knife.

Those old pocket knives tend to be really rusted out.... But just shows that the 'hunted out' areas never really are. Cheers, RickO