Home Metal Detecting

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    The 250 sounds good to me. image I have an old whites I bought new as a 15 year old in 1986 ( visions of a cache of gold coins dancing in my head!) image never have found gold yet, but did have good luck in my parents' front and back yards. About 50+ 30s-40s wheats, and two 1944 vf mercs. image
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought I found a real prize today. It looked like a 2 carat diamond solitaire gold ring; but, it turns out that it's just gold filled. I doubt anyone would put a real diamond of this size in a gold filled ring.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    that's a bummer. It stinks when those heartbreaker finds show up. Sometimes you wish it wouldn't have even come up at all. I found a wedding band a few weeks ago... saw the edge of gold but quickly saw it was only plated. It's better than a pull tab though.
    I haven't found anything good for weeks. Yesterday I found a 1944 wheat cent, the only old coin I've found recently. Today I found a small Maglite flashlight and a Zippo lighter.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if the Maglite and Zippo are in working order, that is a good day.....Cheers, RickO
    Found a silver ring today, but, no old coins. Yesterday I found a laundromat token, probably only dates back to the 60s or 70s though.
    nice pickup on the silver ring! got a pic?
    I didn't take a photo of the ring because it is broken. It's an American Indian design with what I'd call a thunderbird on it. I went detecting for about an hour the other day and couldn't find anything better than a wheat penny.
    Pursue the older sites..... can often produce some amazing items... Good luck..Cheers, RickO
    Today I dug up another silver ring and a wheat cent at one of my favorite parks. I also dug up an interesting and ornate old gas valve that I left behind.
    I can't find a silver coin to save my life, two wheat cents yesterday were the only old coins I could find.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I hunted at a high school yesterday. Spent time on a couple of the parking lot medians, near the main entrance. Also hunted around the outside of the fence surrounding the tennis courts. Not many keepers, just a couple of toasted Zincolns. An assortment of trash: pull tabs, washers, old pencils, etc. I dug up a pop top from a tennis ball can and then noticed there were a lot of them scattered all around the tennis court area. I did manage to find a tennis ball, which my dog enjoyed later image.
    Some days are 'junk' days..... but the treasure days, although scarce, make up for it..... Cheers, RickO
    It was nice beacuse the whole complex was practically deserted. Next time i plan to try near the ball diamond and football field.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there any hillsides that overlook any of these sports areas that is the first place that I would check.
    Girlfriend said she was completely broke. I took her to the local high school and we dug up about $10 of quarters for her in two hours. I also paid for her car repair. image
    You are such a sweetie.....image Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Girlfriend said she was completely broke. I took her to the local high school and we dug up about $10 of quarters for her in two hours. I also paid for her car repair. image >>

Chivalry is not dead. Except, you used a metal detector instead of a sword image. Nice job finding so many quarters!
  • Same here (advice on the Ace 250). I've been wanting to do this for decades. It's time to hit the area parks. Best of all, I've yet to see a single MD in this rural area. (Keeping it secret!)
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your girlfriend is lucky she wasn't dating me. I keep all of my change and save it to buy coins.
    Found another silver ring today, but, still no old coins.
    Research your area ..... find really old parks, lover's lanes, old sledding hills, fair grounds etc..... they are out there. Cheers, RickO
    I used my new oversize coil today and went back to my favorite park that seemed nearly hunted out. I found a bunch of coins that I had missed previously, including a 1926 wheat cent.
    I haven't metal detected for a month, had to go to California and had to send my pinpointer in for repair. I finally got out this weekend. I didn't find anything old; but, I did dig up $14 worth of clad and a pretty silver ring with some gemstones in it.
  • PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    $14?? Wow. Very nice
    EAC, ANA Member
    I don't know if I ever found $14 in a hunt! Congrats on a silver ring! I just got one yesterday. Nice when that shows up eh?

<< <i>I don't know if I ever found $14 in a hunt! Congrats on a silver ring! I just got one yesterday. Nice when that shows up eh? >>

I haven't found a silver coin since April. That's what I'd really like to find, preferably a Barber dime or silver quarter.
    I finally dug up a silver coin today. It's a 1943-D Mercury dime. It's from the same park where I dug up a 1943-D dime back in April. I found it with my oversize coil. The signal was faint, and I don't think I would have found it with my stock coil, especially considering that I have swung over that exact spot at least half a dozen times in the past using the stock coil.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I went out detecting today at several new sites without finding a place that really seems promising. The only old coin I found was a 1942 wheat cent; however, I did find a thick 24 inch gold chain marked 14K. The photo below also includes the 1936 Mercury dime that I found in gravel on Saturday. I guess I'm going to need to purchase a small scale to find out what this thing weighs.
    image >>

Somebody is back at the old Studio 54 looking for this!! image
    Yesterday's Mercury dime got me motivated to hunt again this morning. I went to the same place and again used the oversize coil. I found a deep silver religious medallion, but, no silver coins.
    Went back yet again today. 1942-D wheat cent was the only old coin I could find. I also dug a 7 inch deep clad quarter, which is a depth at which I would expect silver instead.
    Today was my best day of metal detecting ever: three Mercury dimes, a 1911 Liberty nickel, and four older wheat cents. I was in the same park where I dug up a Mercury dime six days ago.

Shortly after arriving at the park, I got a deep signal and dug up a 1918 wheat cent. I interpreted this as a sign that good stuff might be nearby. Sure enough, I found a 1941 Mercury dime within a few feet. I got a couple more deep signals in the general area that were 1920 and 1930 wheat cents. I moved along another 15 feet and dug up a 1936 Mercury dime. After not finding anything for a while, I got bored and dug a nickel signal. It was a 1911 Liberty nickel. About this time I got hungry and decided to go home to eat. I found a 1940-D wheat cent on the way back to my car.

Once I got home, I took this photo of my finds.
    I put the Mercury dimes in flips and wrote up inserts detailing where they were found. I had never found two silver coins on the same day before and had never found a nickel other than a Jefferson. It occurred to me that I was on a hot streak and shouldn't quit. With 90 minutes of daylight remaining, I returned to the park. Some kids were playing soccer in the area of my finds; but, I managed to dig up a third Mercury dime, another 1941, about 50 yards away.

I didn't bother to photograph the third Mercury dime. I also didn't photograph a couple of other interesting items that I dug today: a piece of play money dated 1949 and a lapel pin shaped like an old fashioned megaphone. I assume this pin belonged to a cheerleader long ago.
    now that's a good day of detecting! Something about those deeps signals that are addicting
    Great finds! Still looking for the elusive first "old" coin myself, Wheatie or otherwise.

Any identifying marks on the lapel pin?

<< <i>Something about those deeps signals that are addicting >>

That's true. I was compelled to go back to that site today. Unfortunately, the only old coin I dug this time was another 1940-D wheat cent. It was right next to one of my plugs from yesterday. I got a bunch of faint whispers and peeps, but, never anything strong enough to pinpoint. I either need lots of rain or a bulldozer to remove the top 4 inches of soil.
    It rained quite a lot Tuesday night and Wednesday morning; so, I was expecting some great finds when I detected on Wednesday. I didn't find a single old coin; but, I did find this very old looking metal toy soldier. It's 1 3/4" tall. Finding it was dumb luck. I dug a high tone that was about 8 or 10 inches deep that turned out to be iron falsing. The toy soldier, which gives a low tone like a nickel, was right next to the rusty piece of fence wire that produced the falsing. Digging deep iffy signals usually produces a coin, junk, or an empty hole instead of a bonus item.
    Yesterday the only old coin I could find was a 1934 wheat cent.
  • PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the reports. They are fun to read. Good luck in your future hunts.
    EAC, ANA Member
    Dug up another 1934 wheat cent on Friday and a 1942 wheat cent today. Both coins were deep, and the 1942 was a one way signal.
    there has to be some silver waiting there for you. Wheats are good though. I aim to find at least one per hunt to make it a success.
    Yesterday I dug up a city bus token, circa 1948. Today I got two good high tones at ten inches deep. They both turned out to be clad quarters, lol.
    Today I found a bunch of duplicate old stuff: another 1940-D wheat cent, another metal toy soldier, and another circa 1948 city bus token. I also found a stack of 7 clad quarters just below the surface.
    Today the only old coin I found was a 1940 nickel. I also ordered a 6 inch diameter sniper coil for hunting in trashy areas.
    I dug up four wheat cents today: 1925, 1940-S, 1954-D, and 1957-D. None of them were deeper than 4 or 5 inches down.
    After four or five wheat cents show themselves, the silver bug starts to hit! Any more area to cover?

<< <i>After four or five wheat cents show themselves, the silver bug starts to hit! Any more area to cover? >>

The easy signals have all been picked out of this park. I'll just have to comb it with my oversize coil at high sensitivity and listen for deep repeatable signals. I'm also going to try a small sniper coil for the especially trashy areas.

I tried a school site recently that shows some initial promise, although no silver yet. I also have secured permission to hunt the house my grandparents built in 1955 and owned until 1976. It's about 300 miles away from me; but, I will be taking a road trip to hunt it. I know there were many drunken barbecues in that backyard over the years. I figure any silver on that site was dropped by someone I know.
    Very first signal today was a 1941 wheat cent. It was in an extremely trashy area that I have carefully combed at least a dozen times in the past.

<< <i>

<< <i>After four or five wheat cents show themselves, the silver bug starts to hit! Any more area to cover? >>

The easy signals have all been picked out of this park. I'll just have to comb it with my oversize coil at high sensitivity and listen for deep repeatable signals. I'm also going to try a small sniper coil for the especially trashy areas.

I tried a school site recently that shows some initial promise, although no silver yet. I also have secured permission to hunt the house my grandparents built in 1955 and owned until 1976. It's about 300 miles away from me; but, I will be taking a road trip to hunt it. I know there were many drunken barbecues in that backyard over the years. I figure any silver on that site was dropped by someone I know. >>

At some local beaches I've played around with the detector and dug some exceptionally iffy/weak signals. Some of the signals were no more than a slight chirp, and not even consistent. It was surprising to pull out silvers and wheats on a heavily hit beach digging a barely-there chirp. Just makes you wonder how many of those little blips are coins at parks. The problem is we can't dig every blip at a park...we'd never get anywhere. Beaches aren't so bad...just move some dirt then push it back, no harm. It might be worth trying some iffy signals where the threshold doesn't null. It can be very frustrating, but also surprising.

<< <i>At some local beaches I've played around with the detector and dug some exceptionally iffy/weak signals. Some of the signals were no more than a slight chirp, and not even consistent. It was surprising to pull out silvers and wheats on a heavily hit beach digging a barely-there chirp. Just makes you wonder how many of those little blips are coins at parks. >>

I dig deep iffy signals at my favorite park. Sometimes it's a coin, sometimes it's rusty nails/wire, and sometimes I don't find anything in the hole at all despite digging down 10 inches or more.

I sometimes wonder if there actually is a coin present and it's just a little deeper, or just a little off to the side, beyond what my Garrett pinpointer can detect. I'm thinking about getting a Sun Ray probe because of this. I hate adding weight to the detector and am not thrilled about spending $300; but, I'm thinking about it.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Today was my best day of metal detecting ever: three Mercury dimes, a 1911 Liberty nickel, and four older wheat cents. I was in the same park where I dug up a Mercury dime six days ago.

Shortly after arriving at the park, I got a deep signal and dug up a 1918 wheat cent. I interpreted this as a sign that good stuff might be nearby. Sure enough, I found a 1941 Mercury dime within a few feet. I got a couple more deep signals in the general area that were 1920 and 1930 wheat cents. I moved along another 15 feet and dug up a 1936 Mercury dime. After not finding anything for a while, I got bored and dug a nickel signal. It was a 1911 Liberty nickel. About this time I got hungry and decided to go home to eat. I found a 1940-D wheat cent on the way back to my car.

Once I got home, I took this photo of my finds.
    I put the Mercury dimes in flips and wrote up inserts detailing where they were found. I had never found two silver coins on the same day before and had never found a nickel other than a Jefferson. It occurred to me that I was on a hot streak and shouldn't quit. With 90 minutes of daylight remaining, I returned to the park. Some kids were playing soccer in the area of my finds; but, I managed to dig up a third Mercury dime, another 1941, about 50 yards away.

I didn't bother to photograph the third Mercury dime. I also didn't photograph a couple of other interesting items that I dug today: a piece of play money dated 1949 and a lapel pin shaped like an old fashioned megaphone. I assume this pin belonged to a cheerleader long ago. >>

its always nice to get silver