Home Metal Detecting
Options

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭✭
    I went to the school today for the first time in almost a month. I found a 1945-D war nickel, a wheat cent, a silver ring, and the sterling name plate from an ID bracelet.

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    testing... something is weird. My last post, and Bayard's post from today aren't showing up for me. Seeing where this post goes.
  • Options

<< <i>testing... something is weird. My last post, and Bayard's post from today aren't showing up for me. Seeing where this post goes. >>

There is a known bug on the forum, and this has happened before. The way to work around it, until it eventually fixes itself, is to edit the page number of the url to one page higher.
  • Options
    Yesterday: four deep wheat cents. Today: a 1959 dime and another deep wheat cent.

• Options
    still chugging away on the silver over there. What's your silver coin count now? Is this the same school where you found the quantity of silvers before?
  • Options

<< <i>still chugging away on the silver over there. What's your silver coin count now? Is this the same school where you found the quantity of silvers before? >>

I have 57 U.S. silver coins so far this year: 2 war nickels, 7 Washington quarters, and the remainder being dimes from 1926 to 1964. It is the same school as before.
  • Options
    I got rained out during a short hunt today. I still managed to find a silver ring and a wheat cent that is either 1910 or 1916.
  • Options
    That's a solid haul of silver with over 2 months left. Do you have a goal you'd like to hit?

I'm trying to hit a milestone so hopefully it'll happen soon.
  • Options

<< <i>That's a solid haul of silver with over 2 months left. Do you have a goal you'd like to hit?

I'm trying to hit a milestone so hopefully it'll happen soon. >>

I found 12 U.S. silver coins last year. At the start of this year, my fondest hope was to find 20 in 2015. At this point, I'm so far ahead of my original expectations that I haven't set a new goal. 75, 80, and 100 are all nice round numbers though.
  • Options
    I went to my favorite hunted out park today. We've had some hard rains recently, and I thought my oversize coil might locate some extra deep silver. Instead, I dug three deep wheat cents.
  • Options
    I got out for a brief hunt today. My first good signal was a deep wheat cent signal. I dug it up and was pleasantly surprised with a 1910 Barber dime. It's worn thin, hence the lower signal; but. it has full rims. In the immediate area I also found a 1964-D dime and a 1921 wheat cent. I found a total of four wheat cents today. If I had the time available, I would have stayed all day looking for a Mercury dime today.

I also found an old token good for 25 cents in drinks from a restaurant that was in business from 1932 to 1963.

• Options
    Those thin silver dimes can ring in near the wheat cent range. A nice treat to see silver instead of honest Abe. Seems like finding barbers or seated is becoming harder and harder. Nice job keeping the silver coins coming!
  • Options

<< <i>Seems like finding barbers or seated is becoming harder and harder. >>

Unfortunately, old coins in the ground are not a renewable resource. Digging them up is analogous to mining, and eventually every mine gets exhausted.

Some guys in the 1970s thought the hobby wouldn't last beyond 1985 or so. They reasoned that most everything worth finding would already be found by then. Fortunately for us, they were wrong. They were wrong in large part because detectors kept getting better and previously missed coins became findable with new technology. Perhaps the detectors of the future will let us find deeper coins and masked coins. Otherwise, all old coins will become harder and harder to find as the supply gets depleted by detectorists.
  • Options
    I went back to the general area of yesterday's finds and dug my 60th U.S. silver coin of 2015. It's a 1946 dime, and it has a pattern of staining which is similar to yesterday's 1964-D dime. I also found three wheat cents today, all older ones: 1918, 1930, and 1930-S.

• Options
    I went back again today and found a 1944 Mercury dime with the same type of black staining. I also found a deep wheat cent.

• Options
    Congrats on silvers 60 and 61!

Wonder what's causing the staining on those
  • Options
    I've extended my silver coin finding streak to four consecutive days; but, today was an unusual day. I dug a bunch of deep modern coins: several clad quarters and dimes that were 6 to 8 inches deep, plus an unbelievable 9 inch deep memorial cent from the 1970s. This modern junk is deeper than the silver at this location. Unless there is another explanation, I presume that earth moving equipment has done some work there in the past.

I got a signal that I expected to be a wheat cent or an anomalously deep memorial cent. I dug my plug and got a hit in the sidewall with my pinpointer. It was a 1964-D quarter, stained of course. I didn't understand how this quarter gave such a low signal until I also removed a pull tab ring from the same hole. This silver quarter was a nice surprise, and made up for the repeated heartbreak of digging deep holes only to find clad or memorial cents.

Some time later I got a broken-up-scratchy signal that still had a high pitch and good depth. I don't know what else was in the hole to make the signal so terrible; but, I pulled out a stained 1934 Mercury dime. I also found 6 wheat cents today, the oldest being 1928.

imageimage
  • Options
    I felt sick today, but, forced myself to detect since I had a streak going.

I dug some more deep clad plus eight wheat cents today, including 1919 and 1920. I also dug a huge military eagle button (probably WWII vintage) and an aluminum advertising token that is about silver dollar size. I can't read enough of the token to identify it without a chemical cleaning.

It was about time to go home and I still hadn't found a silver coin. While digging up a wheat cent on the way back to my car, it started to rain. I got another good deep signal a short distance from the wheat cent and decided to dig one last hole in the rain before running to the car. It was a 1952 dime.

I dug at least one silver coin every day this week. I've never done that before and may never do it again. I think I'm going to take the weekend off from detecting and recuperate.

• Options
    Even back to back silver is pretty hard to do. Kudos on a challenging feat. With fall on the way, if you're up for it a weekend hunt might not be a bad idea. Itll be winter before you know it
  • Options
    Saturday I painted the bathroom. Sunday I spent the entire day at a family party. Sunday night I was sitting on the couch with my girlfriend and showed her a picture of a Walking Liberty half on my computer screen. I told her this was the type of coin that I would most like to find. The only silver half dollar I had previously found was a 40% Kennedy.

I wasn't planning on detecting today; but, some unexpected upsetting events gave me the desire for some solitude in the outdoors. I also had a new-to-me Etrac with a Sunray probe that I wanted to try out. I copied all the settings from my regular Etrac to the probe equipped machine and headed out for a one hour hunt.

My main objective was to try out the probe and see if I liked it better than my Garrett pinpointer. The probe was very useful for finding deeper targets, but, was slower on shallow targets. In the future, I think I will use them in conjunction with each other.

I was walking along in an area that I had searched previously without finding much when I suddenly got a 9-46, 10-46 signal. I said to myself, this could be a half dollar while realizing that it could also be a large piece of brass junk. I dug my plug and got a faint hit in the hole with my pinpointer. I then tried the probe in the hole and got nothing; however, the probe gave me a high tone in the plug. I pulled away a piece of the plug and saw what appeared to be a large token. I then saw the words "E Pluribus Unum" and realized that I had a coin. It was a 1943 Walking Liberty half in AU condition. Unfortunately, it has the same type of staining as the other coins from this location.

I've been wanting one of these coins for ages.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...you are on an amazing silver streak....and to top it with a WLH is super....Congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I barely had an hour to hunt today, not enough time to find any silver. A 1918 wheat cent was my only oldie today.
  • Options
    Wow, congrats on the WLH! Even if it does have a little staining, it has some nice luster. Feels good to check off a bucket list item.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I am really happy for you.
    Great story and thanks for sharing!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    I got another half dollar signal today, just a clad Bicentennial this time though, lol. The only old coins I found were three wheat cents dating back to 1926.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Nice Walker! Nice site, to produce such finds!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Maybe only a clad half, but still nice to find a half dollar......Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet you liked that nice shiney big disc coming out of the ground. I've found one Walker and that was on a one room site. That was my only 90% silver half.
  • Options
    Today I dug a stained 1961-D dime and a 1919 wheat cent.

• Options
    You are on one, long, continuous roll.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    two half dollars within a few days is pretty good. At least the bicentennial can be added to your detecting type set.

Glad to see you're still racking up the silver coins too. How has the weather been there? It's slightly dry here.
  • Options
    And your silver continues.... What is your yearly silver count now?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>And your silver continues.... What is your yearly silver count now?? Cheers, RickO >>

I have 66 U.S. silver coins this year: 2 war nickels, 8 Washington quarters, 1 Walking half, and the remainder being dimes from 1910 to 1964.
  • Options

<< <i>two half dollars within a few days is pretty good. At least the bicentennial can be added to your detecting type set. >>

I already spent it.

<< <i>Glad to see you're still racking up the silver coins too. How has the weather been there? It's slightly dry here. >>

It hasn't rained here for a week or more.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I already spent it. >>

Probably a wise move to spend it.

When I first started detecting I kept every coin I dug in jars like my treasure.
    After I had several jars of corroded clad and modern cents I decided it was better to spend the modern corroded stuff as I found it.
    After that I give em a quick cleanup to make them identifiable even if I need to use sandpaper then spend them when I shop.
    I get a good feeling putting them back in circulation.
    Never had a complaint, I make the right change and toss in one or 2 ugly cleaned up coins.
    Ed
  • Options
    Spending the modern stuff is a good idea....otherwise it will just continue to degrade... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Just a pair of wheat cents today. I'm diligently looking for a new place to hunt.
  • Options
    Yep... new places are good...but eventually go back there, a place like that is never 'dug out'....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I briefly went to my favorite hunted out park today and found a deep wheat cent, more than I was expecting.
  • Options
    I dug a bunch of deep clad today, but, also managed to find a stained 1955 dime. I also dug three wheat cents today.

• Options
    Wow...another silver..... roll on man, roll on.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    congrats!

I drove 30 miles each way to a corn field that's connected to a property that dates to the 1790s. Walked away with 2 cents. Hoping one is a wheat cent but it's pretty crusty.
  • Options
    Two wheat cents today.
  • Options
    how's your wheat cent count coming for the year?
  • Options

<< <i>how's your wheat cent count coming for the year? >>

It's 207. I don't keep track of them except in this thread.
  • Options
    I went to the school site today for the first time in more than a month. Shortly after arriving at the site, a small toad jumped away to avoid getting hit by the swing of my coil. At the end of my swing, he even jumped on the coil for a moment.

After swinging for about seven hours, I didn't have much more than a few dollars worth of clad to show for my efforts. At this point, I got desperate and put my oversize coil on the machine. Within a short time, I finally found a wheat cent. A few feet away, I found another wheat cent. I put the probe back in the wheat cent hole and got another high tone. It was a 1949-D dime. I also found a third wheat cent before going home.

This is the 40th U.S. silver coin from the school site and my 68th for the year.

• Options
    I had plans to visit three sites today, in order from what I expected to be best to worst. It turns out that I had the order backward. Site #1 gave me nothing but shallow clad. Site #2 gave me a pair of wheat cents, including a 1931. Site #3 was very interesting.

I parked and started walking toward the site. There was a tattooed guy who looked like trouble; so, I deliberated walked well beyond the spot where I otherwise would have started hunting. I turned on my machine, ground balanced it, and immediately got a 12-45 signal about five inches deep. It was a 1912 Barber dime.

I hunted for another couple of hours without finding anything old, not even a wheat cent. I decided to go back near where I found the Barber dime. I wasn't getting any deep signals there either; so, I decided to dig a 12-45 surface signal. I was expecting to find a memorial cent, maybe a clad dime. Instead, it was a 1920-S Mercury dime in VF condition. I've found shallow Mercury dimes in the past; but, this coin was literally tangled in the grass and didn't have a speck of dirt on it. It was located near a drain spout; so, I can only imagine that the flow of rain water somehow completely cleaned it off. I also found a large silver man's ring today.

• Options
    getting some older silver now. It's been forever since I've found a Barber
  • Options
    Great finds....Finding a Barber is really cool.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Pretty cool finds.I've thought about buying a detector and searching just to cover some free time.It may be a stupid question,but is it legal to search on public property or do you need a permit? I'd probably just search on my properties.
    I really like serious people.