Home Metal Detecting
Options

My metal detecting finds: 2014 to the present

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
    not sure why the nickel signals are harder to come by than the others. Could be the soil, or Minelabs in general? Someone mentioned that somewhere, so could explain why the e-trac and the ctx need a little more help with the rain.

With those years of nickels, a WTN or buffalo should be popping out at any minute.
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭
    It really rained hard today, found two wheat cents at the school during a break in the rain.
  • Options
    I metal detected at the school today for 20 minutes before it started raining and managed to find a wheat cent on my first signal.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think I want to dig everything. >>

I believe in the philosophy 'Dig everything, miss nothing'. Have found it to be true many times....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think I want to dig everything. >>

I believe in the philosophy 'Dig everything, miss nothing'. Have found it to be true many times....Cheers, RickO >>

Sounds like a good philosophy...any feeling for how many " dig everything's" are worth the effort vs how many were busts?
    Would be good to know what % turn out worth the effort based on your experience.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    The percentage of finds in the 'miss nothing' category is low, but often significant. In my old days of park/field hunting, it often resulted in old silver - both coins and rings. So, while the ratio of good to bad was low, the value of good was well worth the effort. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Digging everything is a numbers game. As RickO said, most will be junk, but you do it for that one time here and there where you're absolutely blown away at what comes out after getting an unsuspecting signal. Pretty much every piece of gold I find wasn't expected because it was either a foil signal, cent signal, pull tab, or nickel signal.

Another factor to dig everything that isn't mentioned as much, is getting rid of the top layer of "stuff." By doing this, you can then slow down your detector and focus on those deeper signals that are often older. These targets may be obscured by more shallow signals. Plus it's easier to detect next time you're there, you don't have to fight the same signals over and over again.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Digging everything is a numbers game. As RickO said, most will be junk, but you do it for that one time here and there where you're absolutely blown away at what comes out after getting an unsuspecting signal. Pretty much every piece of gold I find wasn't expected because it was either a foil signal, cent signal, pull tab, or nickel signal.

Another factor to dig everything that isn't mentioned as much, is getting rid of the top layer of "stuff." By doing this, you can then slow down your detector and focus on those deeper signals that are often older. These targets may be obscured by more shallow signals. Plus it's easier to detect next time you're there, you don't have to fight the same signals over and over again. >>

Agree on both points. I think point #2 is especially relevant at places close to your home where you might go frequently. I am really surprised at how well my detector will pick up little pieces of foil 6 or 7 inches deep.
  • Options
    I went to the school for two hours today and managed to find two Mercury dimes, 1940-D and 1945. My very first signal was a 1928 wheat cent. I also found a 1944 wheat cent.

• Options
    glad to see that place is still producing silver. Are the signals getting a little more scarce?
  • Options
    Wow... nice.... the site has really been productive....have you tried the site with the ground wet? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>glad to see that place is still producing silver. Are the signals getting a little more scarce? >>

Strong clear signals are very scarce. I am now typically digging iffy signals, one way signals, and signals mixed with iron.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow... nice.... the site has really been productive....have you tried the site with the ground wet? Cheers, RickO >>

I deliberately hunt after rain storms. This has been the wettest spring and start of summer that I can remember.
  • Options
    I went to the school today, hoping to get in a little detecting before an expected rain storm. The rain didn't come down very hard; so, I detected until dark. I found a 1941 quarter, a 1953-D dime, two Buffalo nickels, 7 wheat cents including a 1919, and an Illinois sales tax token from the 1930s.

Most of these coins were mixed in with iron and gave off terrible signals. I dug a pocketful of rusty nails and wire chasing iffy signals today.

• Options
    Still a nice day... silver is always good.... did the Buffs have dates?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>did the Buffs have dates?? >>

The Buffalo nickels are 1936 and 1935-D. The 1935-D is the first branch mint Buffalo nickel I have found, out of ten total.
  • Options
    I cannot be sure from the picture, but is that '35 a two feather? Or can you see a trace of the third feather? Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I cannot be sure from the picture, but is that '35 a two feather? Or can you see a trace of the third feather? Cheers, RickO >>

I am almost completely ignorant regarding varieties.
  • Options
    I went to the school today and encountered another guy with an E-trac. He claims that he has detected the school periodically for several years, although he said that he hasn't been there for a while. He further claimed that he has never found a silver coin there. I find that extremely difficult to believe. I figure the guy either didn't have much experience at the school and was trying to mislead me into thinking that he had cleaned it out; or, he had knowledge that the school was once loaded with silver and was trying to mislead me into thinking that it had no silver potential. Unfortunately for him, I have pulled 29 silver coins out of the school in the last 3 1/2 months, lol.

Since the silver signals are getting scarce, today I decided to minimize the discrimination on my machine for a while in the hope of finding some old nickels and gold jewelry. My first signal was a nickel, my second signal was a nickel, my third signal was aluminum junk, my fourth signal was aluminum junk, and my fifth signal was a 10K ladies ring with a small opal. I deliberately decided to start looking for gold and literally found some within approximately seven minutes, lol. I also found two wheat cents and another old sales tax token today.

• Options
    now that's you how do it! Can't wait to see a pic. It's nice seeing that gold come out.

It's hard to tell sometimes if people are bluffing, or for real. It seems like when I come across another detectorist, they like to talk about their finds, and themselves, and I gladly let them. I always find "a dollar or two," and never anything old or silver or gold.
  • Options
    Wow... great find... gold is always exciting. Cool move on the tactic change... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    double post...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I went to the school today and again used minimal discrimination on my machine. I found a 1926 Mercury dime, three Buffalo nickels (1925, 1927, and 1936), and five wheat cents including another 1919.

• Options
    The site that keeps on giving..... Certainly more to find there..Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I went to the school today and let the girlfriend tag along. She mainly read a novel and picked me some mulberries. I used minimal discrimination again and found a 1947 dime plus two Buffalo nickels (1936 and 1918).

• Options
    A followup trip to the school resulted in finding four wheat cents.
  • Options
    It was too hot to metal detect this past weekend; but, I went to the school for a while today. After about 90 minutes of detecting and not finding much, I got a one way signal that sounded good and consistently repeated. The numbers for this one way signal were something like 24-43; so, I didn't get my hopes up too much. I was pleased to see a 1941 Mercury dime on edge in the sidewall of my hole. After another 45 minutes of not finding anything, I decided to drive to a new location that looked promising. The new location turned out to have lots of fill dirt; so, I drove back to the school again.

My very first signal after returning to the school was a very clear 16-45, and I dug up a 1950-D dime. I also dug up a 1937 Buffalo nickel just before going home. There was a 1954-D nickel in the same hole; but, I'm not sure if they were a spill or just coincidentally near each other.

• Options
    It's been super hot here too. Could only do a couple hours on Sunday due to the heat and sun. Glad to see that spot is still producing. How many silvers at this spot now?

Also just saw a pic of the gold ring you found. That's a nice crisp, clean ring. Very nice!
  • Options

<< <i>How many silvers at this spot now? >>

I've dug 33 silver coins and 5 pieces of silver jewelry at the school. The silver coins are 28 dimes from 1926 to 1964 and 5 quarters from the 1940s. I've also found an Indian cent and 11 Buffalo nickels at the school, but, surprisingly not even one war nickel.

<< <i>Also just saw a pic of the gold ring you found. That's a nice crisp, clean ring. Very nice! >>

Fortunately my girlfriend thought the opal was too small for her taste; so, she didn't lay claim to the ring, lol.
  • Options
    Best I could do at the school today was two wheat cents.
  • Options
    My goal for a hunt at the very least is to find a wheat cent. So not too bad.

But still good news your gf didn't take the gold ring!
  • Options
    Last night's rain must have loosened up a few silvers at the school. I hadn't been there for 15 minutes when I got a good signal and dug up a 1941 Mercury dime. About 15 or 20 minutes later, I got an iffy signal nearby that was hitting 14-46 and 14-47 from one direction. It turned out to be a nice looking 1945-D quarter. A few hours later I got a halfway decent signal and dug up a 1964-D dime. Shortly thereafter I went back to the area of my first two finds. A horrible signal there had a high tone mixed in and turned out to be a 1949-D dime. I also found two wheat cents today, although one of them was from a new site that turned out to be disappointing.

There was a 1963-D cent in the hole with the 1941 Mercury dime. Apparently this is what 22+ years of circulation wear looks like. The signal for this two-coin spill was 9-43, penny numbers; but, it had a high silver pitch.

• Options
    Nice batch of silver coins... a good rain can do wonders for MD'ing...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    As RickO said, nice silver count! Also, to find more silver than wheats is another nice treat. Hopefully the soil continues to be moist for you. Hard to know during the summer what will happen.
  • Options
    I went to the school site today and managed to find a sterling religious medallion, a wheat cent, and a very shabby looking 1963 dime. The silver dime gave a horrible signal, something like 1-35; but, it had a pitch that sounded like silver. This is the last time I'll be able to get to the school site for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    We had a really hard rain last night; so, I went to my favorite hunted out park today. I found a 1930-D wheat cent and a 1919 Buffalo nickel.

• Options
    We are having some dry weather here so I'm a bit hesitant to go out.

A few years ago I remember getting that odd 1-35 signal and it turned out to be a merc. Quite the curveball signal. I've air tested morgan dollars and they have come in around 1-42 or 1-43 IIRC. Which is pretty dangerous if using coin mode on the etrac. It might actually null! That's why I switched to using quickmask only blocking out ferrous above 28.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That dime looks like a roadkill 😳. Silver is silver
  • Options
    I went out today looking for my 50th U.S. silver coin of 2015. I visited a couple of sites where I made some silver finds earlier in the year. At the first site, all I found was a 1935 wheat cent. I went to a second site and quickly dug up a couple more wheat cents. I then went to the opposite side of the site from where I made my silver finds earlier in the year and got a halfway decent signal. It was a 1957-D dime. I was hoping my 50th silver of the year would have been something more dramatic, and was mildly disappointed, lol.

A short distance away I got another interesting signal. I was thinking it might be a half dollar, maybe even a silver dollar. I dug my plug and got a strong signal from my pinpointer. I dug a little more and saw what initially looked to be a clad half dollar, about what I expected. I pulled it out of the hole and didn't see any familiar details. It looked to be almost completely smooth. I rubbed a little of the dirt off and then realized that I had found my first large cent. It's very worn, and I don't see a date as of yet. I think it is Matron head; but, it could be later. I will post some photos in the near future. I found a fourth wheat cent before going home.

• Options
    congrats on #50 and congrats on your first LC! Old coppers can be exceptionally frustrating. On the one hand you have the high of finding an old coin, but it can be entirely blank, a thick green, or it can come out nearly perfect. Unfortunately most of the time they're green and corroded. Looking forward to seeing pics of it. Hope you can get details, and also a date.

It's better to have a boring #50 than not finding #50 at all
  • Options
    Today I went back to the place where I found the large cent. I found a 1945 Mercury dime, a 1952-D dime, and three wheat cents. Both of the silvers were very shallow. The 1952-D was almost on the surface. I found them both with my sniper coil.

• Options
    Today I dug my first ever silver spill. I was at the old baseball diamonds where I had previously found a few wheat cents back in April. I got a good signal and attempted to dig a plug. I could only cut about two inches deep. When I pulled back the plug, I could see nothing but old infield gravel in the hole. I dug about six inches worth of gravel out of the hole and got a good signal from my pinpointer. It was a 1942 Mercury dime. I closed up the hole and rescanned it with the coil, my usual habit. I was still getting a good signal; so, I pulled back the plug again. I stuck my pinpointer in the loose gravel and got a hit at only two or three inches deep. It was a 1940-D Mercury dime. I closed up the hole again and rescanned it. There was no signal directly under the plug; but, I was getting a good deep signal just outside of the plug's perimeter. I dug an adjoining plug, essentially widening my original hole by a few inches. At about six inches deep I pulled another 1942 Mercury dime out of the hole. I also found five wheat cents today.

• Options
    a purely silver spill is pretty rare. congrats on a first. Seems like periodically you get a couple of wheat cents in a hole and you keep hoping silver will come out. But hardly does. A few silvers is a great haul.
  • Options
    Best I could do at the silver spill location today was two wheat cents.
  • Options
    The heat really cut short my hunt today. All I found was a 1934 wheat cent and some modern change.
  • Options
    Four wheat cents today, one of which was only three feet from last week's silver spill. I don't know how I missed it earlier.
  • Options
    Crazy how sometimes you pass over finds like that. It was like that with the seated half found earlier this year... was over that spot several times before and then it finally just decided to reveal itself.
  • Options
    One wheat cent and a pocket full of change with the sniper coil today. An old German guy approached me and asked me to help him find some tool bits that he lost in his yard. I found them in just a few minutes and he offered me a "bier" in gratitude. I would have asked if I could metal detect his yard; but, he was almost deaf and I was ready to go home from the heat.
  • Options
    Very short hunt today, got some clad, one wheat cent, and a sterling pin back WWII Navy award for war work.

• Options
    Now that's something you don't see everyday. Silver Roosevelts are nice, but having something unique like this adds some diversity to the collection.