Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Original Roll Opening Striptease Thread - Roll 32 posted

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
I resolved to open all or most of the 35 rolls of 1959-P Roosies that have some vibrant toners on the open end of the roll. I plan to post a pic of each end coin (and any others) as I open each roll and look for high grades as I go. Since I'm slow to do this anyway, I thought I'd make it into a striptease event.image

If this is too hokey or too much for a thread, just let me know and I'll let it drop. Otherwise, I'll be posting the pics starting today.
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what will you be wearing?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry I still have the rolls of quarters you sent me and going to send in a few of the 68 P and D and 69 P and D . Good luck with the Dimes and look forward to seeing what is inside the rolls..............Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If this is too hokey or too much for a thread, just let me know and I'll let it drop. Otherwise, I'll be posting the pics starting today. >>

Of COURSE it's hokey.

Which is precisely why I so eagerly anticipate it. image

Great idea, if you ask me, though if you ask anyone else, they've probably already placed me on the "Suspected Hokeyness" watchlist for my own drivel. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just lost out on an auction of BU red cents, I keep kicking myself, but know deep down most likely the whole roll was spotted as is normally the case for this date and mm.
  • Options
    Here's Roll #1. I'm showing the roll itself, removed from the wrapper, the coin from the open end, a middle coin, and then the coin on the paper end (which surprisingly had some golden toning.) This is a mediocre roll - don't worry, they get better.image

The end coin is gun metal with some color peeking through.

imageimage

The middle coins have some edge darkening, but not evenly dispersed - with blast white centers. I saw this same thing on the 1958's as well.

imageimage

The paper end coin, with some golden toning:

imageimage

I won't be showing the middle coins on future posts, unless something interesting pops up.

Give me your opinions on the bands. Are they approaching Full Bands?

Want to see more? You likey?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    Keep em coming!!
    Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting....looks like full bands..... wonder why that coin is so black?? And not the dime on the other end?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looking at the price guides it seems like you need to find 66s, but really 67s
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love box break threads!
  • Options
    Here's Roll 2:

The coin from the Open End:

imageimageimage

The coin from the Paper End:

imageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! This is fun! Keep em coming. Looks like some great coins in those rolls!
  • Options
    A couple of Dazzlers.................

Here's the coin from the Open End of Roll 3:

And here's the coin from the Paper End of Roll 3:

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Now those are pretty!!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    #3 is nice!
    Becky
  • Options
    It's interesting. Rolls 1 & 4 look like this. Some of the coins have edges that toned, right next to coins that the edges didn't tone. Rolls 2 & 3 had whiter edges for the most part. Here's some pics of the toned edges:

imageimage

Here's the coin from the Open End of Roll 4:

And here's the coin from the Paper End of Roll 4:

With a good striptease, we must have some anticipation. Some suspense. So, this thread is going dark while I sort through the 4 rolls that I've already opened. You can't just show everything and be done with it, in a good striptease.image

So, bare with me while I do my diligence. I won't keep bumping this thread now. From now on, I'll update the Roll Number in the thread title, and that way the thread can make it on it's own merits. I have 31 rolls to go, although I might decide to keep a few of them unopened. But there will be plenty more pics as I go. I hope that you enjoy the show.

Ah - in order to keep the sequence, I'll have to bump the thread occasionally. But I'll try not to be too conspicuous.

Here's the coin from the Open End of Roll 5:

And here's the coin from the Paper End of Roll 5:

Here's the coin from the Open End of Roll 6:

imageimage

Here's the coin from the Paper End of Roll 6:

imageimage

Final Roll for today, I think. I picked out one of the few yucky rolls to get it out of the way. Even the edges look a little grungy, but the coin centers are still mostly white, kinda.

Here's what the coin edges on this crumby roll look like. Not pretty toning on the edges like Roll 4:

Here is the coin from the Open End of Roll 7:

imageimage

Here's the coin from the Paper End of Roll 7:

imageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll #3 is definitely the winner for eye appeal so far IMHO.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I think this is a very cool thread, well coin guy cool, Maybe not real world cool. My wife informs me daily that many things I think are cool are not so I might not be the best judge.
  • Options
    I like roll 5 the best so far. Great idea for a thread thanks for posting this.image
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this is a very cool thread, well coin guy cool. Maybe not real world cool. >>

imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that end of roll neon toner from roll #5. Let me know if it needs a home.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rool 5 & 6 end coins look good.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I realized that I should take a couple of last "group photos" before the final breakup, so here's the 35 rolls all together.

Here's what the "paper end" of these rolls all look like:

It takes time to carefully open the rolls, photo them, download and sort the photos, crop and size them, and finally to post them. Here's the remaining rolls that I'm working toward.

Here's another look at the edges of a typical roll. All of the center coins are white on the obverse and reverse. Some are approaching full bands, I hope to examine some of these rolls for potential grades this weekend.

Now, getting back down to brass tacks, here is the coin from the "open end" of Roll 8:

imageimage

Here is the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 8:

Here's the coin from the "open end" of Roll 9:

imageimageimage

Here's the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 9:

imageimage

Here's the coin from the "open end" of Roll 10:

imageimageimage

Here's the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 10:

imageimageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY cool!!! Thank you for doing this so we can be voyeurs...
  • Options
    I've been waiting for 8 years to do this, and I'm gratified that the voyeurs and coin geeks can enjoy it!! It's fun for me to get to do this.image

Here is the coin from the "open end" of Roll 11:

imageimageimage

Here is the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 11:

imageimage

Here is the coin from the "open end" of Roll 12:

imageimageimage

Here is the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 12:

imageimageimage

Here is the coin from the "open end" of Roll 13:

imageimageimage

Here is the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 13:

imageimageimage

Here's my last post for the evening. Some of the rolls are difficult to open and the coins are hard to remove without tearing the paper because it's a bit brittle and weak. One of the rolls cracked like an egg while I was trying to shake the coins loose! (I will post that paper roll later). Even so, only one of the rolls opened so far had coins that were adversely affected by the environment, (Roll 7 I believe.) All of the other rolls have interior coins with great luster. Most have their fair share of dings, some more, some less - and some look relatively clean. As I mentioned previously, I planned to go through the 59-Ps for potential high grades but I haven't started that project yet. I'm following David Hall's advice, "have fun with your coins".image

imageimageimage

Here is the coin from the "open end" of Roll 14:

imageimageimage

Here is the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 14:

imageimageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

Rolls 5-9-10-11-12 have coins that I would admire in our, or any, collection.

I love the neon look of the ones with the yellow and the blues/greens....particularly roll 5 & 10

Thank you for sharing the experience with us via the forum.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Really an informative thread.

Thanks for the documentation as you go through the process.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the FB populations are going to go up...
  • Options
    I spent some of the day looking for higher grades in the rolls I already opened. I've found that it's not too hard to get distracted by things like luster or die polishing even though you try to focus mainly on finding and counting the "tics" that detract from a grade. (At least, that's how I do it.)

I find myself looking at one side of a coin and when it's really nice I'm hoping, hoping, hoping that the other side is nice. And then, it's not! Or, I'll find a fairly well-struck coin with hard-looking surfaces with good luster, but a bunch of marks. I keep wondering how such tiny marks can occur on such a small uncirculated coin. Some of them are triangular in shape and kinda deep, for the size of the coin. And they aren't indentations from another edge. Weird.

I also see quite a bit of die polishing, and even some slick spots where the die polishing might have been too aggressive. These spots reoccur on several coins in different rolls.

All in all, it's easy to become enamoured of the silver surfaces on a micro scale - they kind of remind me of what I see on a Daniel Carr coin when I look real close at the surfaces. I've found some coins with extra metal from flakes off of other coins, in fact I already have a few silver flakes on the fabric I'm using to handle the coins. I've found 3 or 4 specimens that have a very small cud die break under FDR's nose.

Anyhow, I know you're wanting to see some color but this is a striptease and you simply have to wait. But I can post what looks to me like a high grade coin from today's roll scrutiny. I've gone through the first 6 rolls today, and I'll probably have enough time to do another 8 tomorrow during the day. Today was overcast, so the lighting wasn't good for pics today anyhow.

Here is a nice specimen that I have some hopes for. I see a couple of tiny "tics" in the photo that I didn't see with my 10X loupe, but they probably aren't deal killers. I've set aside a few others as well, but time is short for photo-taking today.

imageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chase Manhattan Bank obw rolls are VERY highly desired especially during the Rockefeller era.

At least save the paper rolls.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Chase Manhattan Bank obw rolls are VERY highly desired especially during the Rockefeller era.

At least save the paper rolls.

Orville brings up something that I was hoping that I could mostly avoid.

I've had requests for these rolls, citing some degree of collector desirability and a wish to preserve them, or at least some of them. This is what makes it hard in the first place, because I like coins and history as well.

I'm inclined to keep opening the rolls, keep documenting what I find, and then put most of the coins back into their original wrappers and sell the toners, keeping some of them.

I would then have rolls that are "96% original", in the original wrappers.

Maybe I could keep the worst-looking rolls 100% intact?

I appreciate your various perspectives, but I was really only trying to share the experience of opening these rolls - with anyone who thinks it's interesting. If I start offending people's sensibilities of history or preservation, then I probably need to cool it, at least here anyhow.

In the meantime, here's the roll I picked as Roll 15:

Rainbow Edge:

Before opening:

Here is the pretty little thing from the "open end" of Roll 15:

imageimage

Here is the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 15:

imageimage

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very purdy colors!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Some really beautiful coins here. Plus it's a great education on rolls and roll toning. Thanks for sharing. I'd keep a few rolls intact if it were me. Maybe...
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there sure are some nice toners in there.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was fun for me, it had to be a blast for you.

Thanks for posting...image
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't get over the rainbow edge pics.
    So cool. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Thanks for the nice comments! But hey, it's only about half over.image

I had some problems getting good pics on Monday, and then some of them wouldn't post - so maybe tonight's pics will do better.

Roll 16 prior to opening:

This is Roll 16 as it was opened:

This is the coin from the "open end" of Roll 16:

imageimage

This is the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 16:

imageimage

Roll 17 prior to opening:

This is Roll 17 as it was opened:

This is the coin from the "open end" of Roll 17:

imageimage

This is the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 17:

imageimage

I've had these types of problems recently - for some reason the pics aren't showing up. They seem to resolve by themselves, but I haven't a clue. I'm still messing with Rolls 17 & 18. Grr.

Roll 18 prior to opening:

This is Roll 18 as it was opened:

This is the coin from the "open end" of Roll 18:

imageimage

This is the coin from the "paper end" of Roll 18:

imageimage

Finally! Success.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

imageimage

>>

Holy smokes, do you see what I see?? After all of the blinding displays of illumina, I just now caught the cool looking clash on the bridge of Roosevelt's nose. In front of his eye! I remember reading something about this on the Coneca website. Very cool my friend, well done!
  • Options
    Holy smokes, do you see what I see?? After all of the blinding displays of illumina, I just now caught the cool looking clash on the bridge of Roosevelt's nose. In front of his eye! I remember reading something about this on the Coneca website. Very cool my friend, well done!

Ah, I just thought that my eyes were getting tired and I totally ignored that die clash. I guess this means I'll have to start posting some of the other stuff that I did notice.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread, thanks for sharing!!

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful. Love the toners.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Love it. Keep them coming.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really digging this thread. Please keep going and by all means post those coins too that have notable things going on!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    roll 5 had the best coin so far
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread with some nice coins... while I am not a tarnish aficionado, I do like those blast white Rosies.... I am surprised at some of the edge roll pictures, how some tarnish and others do not. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Ricko, I figured that out. I think that the whole roll got edge toning in many cases. I have to shake the roll to get them out, and when I get the coins out of the roll the edges aren't all lined up like they were in the roll.

More to come, but I have to squeeze this project in between real work. Maybe this afternoon.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you found any MS66s or 67s?
    LCoopie = Les

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file