Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Ugliest Washington Quarter Sells For A Record Price. 1943 S Goiter

RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well its good to see this coin get some respect. I was Very surprised and sure the Seller is happy and hope the buyer Enjoys. I know its not the prettiest coin but it is RARE. I believe this is the first one to come to auction since 2010.

I was told by the Price guide folks that a coin must be in a real auction (not buy it now) to count.....This should help. Sunday at auction a MS 65 (one of two) sold for 3965 With the Juice........1943 Goiter Heritage MS 65 Here is a picture of my MS 64 Looks better today Enjoy imageimage
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my 2 cents. I figured the coin at about $500 - $750. Let's revisit this thread in a couple years and see whether the $4,000 was well spent. Wondercoin. image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Wow, but the price guide for the ms65 coin is only $250, and $175 for your 64 image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was there shill bidding?? Seems inordinately high....JMHO....Cheers, RickO
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my cup of tea...
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does nothing for me.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Is this variety included in a registry set?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a neat variety. Two guys with deep pockets must have wanted it bad!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably a couple of head and neck surgeons. image
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a name for them but i cant say it. imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    After seeing that price, I think it is a beautiful quarter. I have a raw one that may become my first submission.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, but the price guide for the ms65 coin is only $250, and $175 for your 64 image >>

I think the price guide is about to change image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $4,000 for THAT coin?

What was the ditty that Quint, the crusty only shark hunter from the movie "Jaws," sang when one of the other characters talked about playing around with the Great White in the water? I don't remember, but the gist was you are digging your own grave. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just in case there is any doubts to folks searching for this coin, another member showed me this link to a MS 64 sold last week on Ebay. I did not start this thread to bash either one of the buyers, and unlike Mitch I believe these will hold there Value, Of course Depending on how many are found. PCGS Requires this coin in the Variety Set, and with only 12 graded examples 2 of which I own and yet there are more than 20 folks doing the set. Supply and Demand. Still waiting to see pcgs change the guide, and there are MANY quarters in this series that have a Population of 4 or less and pcgs WILL not reconize prices in Buy it now auctions, but MANY of these quarters are sold this way. Its truly a Great Series to Work on, remember Knowledge is Power..........Alot of these coins can be found RAW if one wants to learn............Enjoy image1943 s Goiter Ebay MS 64 Sold

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    no interest at all in this. Would rather have a bunch of bullion or 90% or buy some numis like a $20 saint than that one quarter.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not for me. pass
    >>>no interest at all in this. Would rather have a bunch of bullion or 90% or buy some numis like a $20 saint than that one quarter.<<<

Well, I would rather have any real and scarce coin than a bunch of bullion!
    I am unimpressed by this as an educational posting. Heritage offered no description of what makes this coin so special and neither does the individual who started this string. There is now a green check on this lot where it says, "This item's Owner is proactively entertaining offers." That is a bit different from the usual language which states, "Make an offer to the owner." Perhaps this message should have been posted in the buying and selling category.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    "and unlike Mitch I believe these will hold there Value,"

Wait a minute ... I think they will "hold their value". I always valued them around $500 - $750 in this grade and I think they will do just fine at that level down the road. Now, to those chasing them at $3,000 or $4,000/coin...

May the force be with you!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    I certainly understand what you are saying Mitch. It's hard to place values on top pop coins and varieties. All it takes is two people with $$$ that wants the same coin bad!
    Even more difficult Dimeman with MINOR varieties.

The minor variety may be R-7, but the collector is R-8, if you know what I mean.

And that's what make this hobby great...

1. The Price Guide editor values this coin at $250 (and I have no problem with a conservative valuation until -2- auctions take place on such a difficult coin to value)
    2. I personally value the coin around $750 (that and 10 cents gets me a cup of coffee)
    3. A bidder or two at auction value the coin at $4,000 so it appears (but wait ... it is always important to pay attention to what Bill Jones observed).
    4. Now, all of a sudden on ebay a coin "one grade under" sells for a record price.

Hey ... a have a large pile of low pop minor variety PCGS Washington quarters (including many pop 1 or 2 coins) ... to those bidding 15x -20x the guide ... send me a pm and maybe we can work out a deal on some of them for way under that level! If it comes right down to it, my passion is really with the major varieties anyway. I can part with some of my minor varieties if the opportunity presents itself.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Major and Minor is in the eye of the beholder. To me Minor is a variety that is hard to see even with a glass.

This quarter variety is very easy to see.

Others may call Minor as in varieties not in the Redbook or well known.

When you start putting up BIG money for varieties it better be extra money not really needed down the road!image
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    strictly speaking, I think this variety should be called "thyroglossal duct cyst" due to the location of the swelling; a goiter would be farther down the neck.
    My attitude is if you need a 10X glass so spot a die variety, you had best tread softly before you lay out a lot of money for it. That advice works on two levels. First there are not that many collectors who will pay high prices for very minor varieties. Second, when the diagnostics are really small, there is a chance that there more of these coins waiting to be discovered once you draw attention to them. Usually but not always, the higher the supply, the lower the price. Sometimes that doesn't work out, but more often than not, it does.
    Another good point Bill.

<< <i>I am unimpressed by this as an educational posting. Heritage offered no description of what makes this coin so special and neither does the individual who started this string. There is now a green check on this lot where it says, "This item's Owner is proactively entertaining offers." That is a bit different from the usual language which states, "Make an offer to the owner." Perhaps this message should have been posted in the buying and selling category. >>

You are right this thread should have been posted in the REGISTRY SET forum as this post was to show that PCGS creates these sets, THEY decide which ones have to be collected. Anyone that starts a Registry Set has a Goal of Completing the Set. Severe Deterioation of the Obverse Die occurred to UNKNOWN causes. Washington's Mouth and Chin are flat and lack Definition. The area below his Jaw is sucken, while the area in the field in front of his Adams apple is Buckled Upward. As far as Heritage I have no control over there posting and ANY coin that sells for 1000 or more automatically has the make an offer. If 10 more are found than yep the price will drop, this coin has been known about for decades and how many were PUT away? The ms 65 will be a Top Pop for ever. Now since our Host requires this coin and they also PUT a Value on it, Both Of which I have No control. Don't hate the players Hate the Game......image

Link to My Registry Set.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's peculiar and I don't know HOW rare it is but I can think of much better ways to spend 4Gs IMHO. Not my thing.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

4 G's would buy some nice Walkers..hey.image

<< <i>

<< <i>I am unimpressed by this as an educational posting. Heritage offered no description of what makes this coin so special and neither does the individual who started this string. There is now a green check on this lot where it says, "This item's Owner is proactively entertaining offers." That is a bit different from the usual language which states, "Make an offer to the owner." Perhaps this message should have been posted in the buying and selling category. >>

You are right this thread should have been posted in the REGISTRY SET forum as this post was to show that PCGS creates these sets, THEY decide which ones have to be collected. Anyone that starts a Registry Set has a Goal of Completing the Set. Severe Deterioation of the Obverse Die occurred to UNKNOWN causes. Washington's Mouth and Chin are flat and lack Definition. The area below his Jaw is sucken, while the area in the field in front of his Adams apple is Buckled Upward. As far as Heritage I have no control over there posting and ANY coin that sells for 1000 or more automatically has the make an offer. If 10 more are found than yep the price will drop, this coin has been known about for decades and how many were PUT away? The ms 65 will be a Top Pop for ever. Now since our Host requires this coin and they also PUT a Value on it, Both Of which I have No control. Don't hate the players Hate the Game......image >>

So it is a die state; now we know. Die state collecting can be a big deal with 19th century die variety collectors, but it is hit and miss. BTW I did see the odd looking "W" in "We" which was stretched out, but I was looking for a die variety.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can deduce that a) some sellers fare better than some buyers even as , b) PCGS is the benefactor of all the attention a variety gets.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    strong visual appeal, apparently scarce "variety" and a nice grade.

the franklin version i'm sure would go that high if there weren't as many although the visual on this 25c far beats out the 50c version.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>4 G's would buy some nice Walkers..hey.image >>

You got it! imageimage

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>strictly speaking, I think this variety should be called "thyroglossal duct cyst" due to the location of the swelling; a goiter would be farther down the neck. >>

Absolutely, and funny enough, the only part of the thread I could understand.
  • Man......I could have found several better ways to spend that money.......
  • I agree that the 43 Goiter sold for way too much. But if it were called a major variety by PCGS it would have been a steal.

If you look at a so called Major variety like 1950 D/S ( you need a 10X to see it) . An MS-67 sold last year for $29,375.00. In grades above MS-63 there have been 73 graded by PCGS alone.

The price guide for an MS-65 is $4000.00 and there are 18 graded. My point is that it is all about what is called a major variety. With 73-1950 D/S quarters graded so far, do you really think this coin is as rare as the Goiter?
    Dale...Why do you have a link to a set that is closed!image

<< <i>But if it were called a major variety by PCGS it would have been a steal. >>

it still may end up being inaugurated.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

<< <i>

<< <i>But if it were called a major variety by PCGS it would have been a steal. >>

it still may end up being inaugurated.
    . >>

As I said before this is a die state, not a variety. Most die states need to have something really interesting or distinctive about them the be recognized with a hole in an album or virtual album like a registry set. The 1922 Plain cent is unusual because there were no Philadelphia mint cents produced in 1922, so this this piece without a mint mark is unusual. The 1937-D three legged Buffalo nickel is funny with the missing leg and the detached hoof sitting on the ground. Maybe this needs a catchy name, "Washington with the mumps" or "Washington without his false teeth."

• Just a note: It appears on the HA website, the owner is actively entertaining offers for the coin. I don't know if this is accurate or not.

...on the Ebay MS64, it sold at $2900....best offer accepted.

......I collect old stuff......
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Uncirculated examples have sold on eBay for between $50 and $75. I paid $50 for my BU example several years ago.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that this could be a Heritage default.
    However it does not matter one way or the other since the OP
    Was simply showing the auction results, not trying to sell
    The coin.

As for price and PCGS price guide valuations? There are multiple
    Examples of where that guide is grossly inaccurate but the astute
    collector will KNOW what their limits are when bidding on such items.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My attitude is if you need a 10X glass so spot a die variety, you had best tread softly before you lay out a lot of money for it. That advice works on two levels. First there are not that many collectors who will pay high prices for very minor varieties. Second, when the diagnostics are really small, there is a chance that there more of these coins waiting to be discovered once you draw attention to them. Usually but not always, the higher the supply, the lower the price. Sometimes that doesn't work out, but more often than not, it does. >>

+1
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
    here is a good name for a numsismatic soap opera. "As the Pops Go Up" image

12 at pcgs now with 10 in unc.

still bringing hefty premiums though. a 64 pcgs AOH on the bay brought $2900 last month.

find one in 66 and that will be the grand-slam.

<< <i>.
    here is a good name for a numsismatic soap opera. "As the Pops Go Up" image

12 at pcgs now with 10 in unc.

still bringing hefty premiums though. a 64 pcgs AOH on the bay brought $2900 last month.

find one in 66 and that will be the grand-slam.
    . >>

Alittle over a month since the Heritage Sale and No up grade in the Price guide. My Take on a MS 66 not going to happen. After viewing the MS 64 that sold on ebay, my MS 64 should upgrade. The markings on the obverse I would think would prevent any coin being graded a 66. Actually the pops were at 10 on 9/13/2013 Two of those I made a VG08(8th Coin Graded) first(Than Number 9 found coin was the Vg 04 another member) than found my MS 64(10th Coin Graded). The last 2 coins graded were the Heritage one and the Ebay one, Both were submitted by the same person, who than sold both. Coin number 13 is probally being graded now as another member had one in his collection and thought it was just a greased filled die. How many more were saved? I truly Like this coin and was fortunate to find my two examples. Good luck to the others in the Search to find One Example......Enjoy imageMy coin facts Coin

Link to My Registry Set.

as i was looking over the 64 and 65s, i was wondering the same thing if the variety will prevent a higher grade. same thing i think about the 88-o scarface.

i did see that there were consec cert numbers on a couple and was like wow, someone had a good day lol

gotta be one of the neatest erorrs/varieties i've seen, especially on a washie.

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    This is a neat variety/die state, and the price guide to me has always been more of a recommendation or suggestion much like a speed limit sign.

For low or no POP stuff, I'd rather they leave the price guide blank. I'd recently sold a coin and the buyer cited the PG and said that's what it's worth, and no way am I going to pay 2X price guide.

He was right. He paid over 2X price guide. Worth is always relative.

Lastly, if you look at the POP report now, with the record price showing the PG looks silly at $250 for the same grade.

<< <i>Lastly, if you look at the POP report now, with the record price showing the PG looks silly at $250 for the same grade. >>

i agree. showing non-variety values on variety pages is just a plain bad idea. ngc does this as well and i've had many an inquiry referencing such data.

either they should list their recommended value which is considerably off a large majority of the time or they should just go by the APR which even still can be quite off.

heck, it almost seems like listing any type of pricing is not a good idea ><

maybe just links with no values listed to sold items at auction?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file