Home Precious Metals

I found some cool silver shavings today!

MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found this at an antique show this afternoon.

One dollar in Silver - 371- 1/4 grains .77oz.

The Garvin Bantel Corp.

"Paid on demand by United States Treasury in exchange for $1 Silver Certificate"

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen nor heard of this ever being issued by the Treasury.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat. Dind't some come in tubes as well? Thought I recall seeing those.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced it is direct from the treasury either. I thought it was unique enough to purchase... the price was right.
    It's possible it was just sort of a novelty offered by the Garvin Bantel Corp. shortly after the silver exchange program ended?

I've got some googling around to do plus I was hoping for some more definitive information here.
    It does weigh correctly.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    If the treasury still paid out an ounce of silver for a greenback, they would need 3 trillion ounces.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    very cool, seen something similar in which they gave back silver granules
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Treasury did in fact send out 1 oz. packets of silver with a small note something like the one shown in your pic. They sent these out towards the end of the silver redemption when they were retiring the silver certificates and after they had already run out of silver dollars.

I don't know if the one in the pic is a Treasury-issued one. I don't recall a reference to Garvin Bantel Corp, but it's entirely possible that the Treasury eventually subcontracted additional packets after the first batches ran out.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bit of history there... thanks for sharing...Cheers, RickO
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find. Did you have to pay a big premium?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The ability to redeem Silver Certificates for silver dollars was stopped in March, 1964 by the Secretary of the Treasury. After this date, a Silver Certificate could be redeemed for silver 'granules' (non-coined) or silver "shot"
    until 1968." They put .7734ozt of silver shot in little viles. That were marked, IIR, as US Treasury silver

Having read the above and doing some research, I found no evidence of silver certificates being redeemed via silver shavings.

My preliminary guess is: The shavings in the photo appear to be privately issued "fantasy" items from Garvin Bantel, bullion dealer until 1982.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been posts about these in the past. I believe they're pretty collectible.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the help!