Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Colonel Jessup's apology

ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been contacted by several Forum members expressing their rage, disgust and confusion over anti-Semitic remarks made or referenced in the "25% buyers fee" thread I started.

I was criticized for being ant-Semitic. Not so.

In a thread over a year ago BAFFERJAN used the expression "to jew someone down" as a negotiating tactic. He was scorched for it.

I never forgot it. I'm Jewish.

I never forgot it. I've carried a grudge against him ever since. There's truth in the saying "Harboring a resentment is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die".

My comments re: "jewing people down" and TELL THEM RICK THE KIKE SENT YOU were intended (no matter the poorness with which I expressed them) to being vitriolic sarcasm.

I was aiming my rage at an old wound into a totally different topic and context.

I'm Jewish. One day I came home from grade school thrilled about how well I was singing in Chorus. My Nana (Polish pogroms, 1906) asked me to sing. Within a few lines from the start of the beautiful "O Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles) she started crying..... "All they ever wanted to was kill us, and now they're taking you......" Her son, my father, died in WWII before my Mom gave birth.

There's the wound. Hope that wasn't overly maudlin. Essentially, that's what my flashbacks are like.

My apologies to BAFFERJAN. It was clear from the old thread his "jewing" remark was not a personal attack on Jews, coming rather from local atmospheric conditions. He expressed contrition for his ignorance an unknowing offense within the thread.

To fellow Forumites who were offended, my apologies also.

At the end of the 25% thread, MGLICKER asked for an apology about anti-Semitism having tainted the Forum discourse.

I apologized. For blindly interjecting my personal and cultural history and perspective into what was intended to be elevated discourse by not only myself but also others.

MGLICKER responded to my apology with acceptance.

I might say he got me wrong (no idea or explanation needed on his part). But if he did, he's even more a bigger man than I.

I would appreciate it if there were no more posts on this thread. For some (including me) it might have already been too personal.

No preaching about prejudice. I can be as sanctimonious as anyone else all by myself.

Nor "for" or "against" my earlier behavior. Or how I've explained it here.

All PMs accepted.

Rick

I will bump this thread through Monday so as to keep this where more people might notice it.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick when you talk as much as you do it's inevitable that you will eventually stick your foot in your mouth : )

Having broken bread with you in the past I know that you meant no harm. You have a good heart.

Don't beat yourself up. Crap happens.

For religious sensitivity purposes I ask that you watch 10 episodes of South Park as penance.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    many of the things you say are above my SAT-V level
    but your apology is quite clear
    and the sign of a Mensch
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I grew up in a non church going family. My dad was an avowed atheist. My memories of Jews are from movies like Exodus, Ben Hur and the 10 Commandments. Jews were the good guys.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    i HATE EVERYBODY EQUALLY!
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I like most of your posts.

I'm not a Jew but i don't like those terms either, apology accepted.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "I would appreciate it if there were no more posts on this thread."
    Oh well, you tried!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    People are way too sensitive these days and look for racism and bigotry everywhere. If you look, you'll find it all right. So what? That's life and it's not your mission to "solve it". There are more important things to do.

I always liked you Colonel Jessup. Keep it coming.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I would appreciate it if there were no more posts on this thread."
    Oh well, you tried! >>

That's the problem with his posts in general. Too many words and no one reads all of themimage

He needed to put that disclaimer at the topimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most everybody on here has said something or other at one time that they later regretted. I think your apology speaks well of you.

While in Chicago I worked for Mr. Berk and his son, who are Jewish, and with Mr. Greenstein and his son, likewise. One day two Lubavitch gentlemen came in and, seeing my beard, assumed that I too was Jewish, and started their sales pitch. I politely interrupted and replied "Excuse me, I'm the token Goy. Let me get you one of the Jews" and called Bob. I don't think anybody was offended.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    theres no hard feelings or resentments here. best wishes
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    7 Hail Irvings, and you shall be absolved, my son!

As I was mentioned in the OP, I would like to respond.

I did not take offense to the words used by Jessup, but they were out of place in an otherwise good discussion. Tried to urge him to delete the lines to avoid misunderstanding by other posters and did not want to lose him to a Moderator purge, which has recently been happening here (I just missed getting cut myself last week).

Perhaps more importantly, another word reviled by a prominent minority is in the news daily, though frequently used by these good folks as a term of endearment.

Cannot have it both ways. If we want to vilify slurs, it must be unilateral.

Carry on!

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>7 Hail Irvings, and you shall be absolved, my son!
    >>

As a Christian, I find your remark uncalled for, derogatory, and highly insulting. image

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I would appreciate it if there were no more posts on this thread."
    Oh well, you tried! >>

In honor of your request I am not responding to the content. That said the raw feelings based upon past experiences are well understood. Since the responses here have been constructive and self reflective I would like to add two of my own personal experiences to the subject of the responses.:

1. As a high school student I attended a summer science program away from home at a university in

my state. I made it a point to attend church (a Christian denomination) on the weekend and a few others in the program joined me from time to time. Our science experiments during the week gave us access to the university labs and some of us worked on projects that included experimenting with small lab animals. One day I returned to the dorm where

we were all housed and found my window propped open with a lab mouse affixed to a cross of tree branches holding it open. I personally took no offense (though probably I should have), but when a Jewish student in the program saw it he went ballistic and with his condemnation made whoever did it feel smaller than the dead mouse.

2. My other experience was a few years later while attending graduate level schooling in California. Myself and two friends who attended classes together were driving through town when we encountered a group of neo-Nazis parading through the street accompanied by their red flag emboldened with a large swatsica. One of the two friends was Jewish and

it took the other two of us to restrain him from jumping out of the car and physically confronting the group. Both of his parents had suffered in Hitler's concentration camps.

I have always admired both for their responses.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats what wrong with life now a days everthing is put under a micro scope. I once call a guy a SOB and he went off the hook about how his mom never slept around i never even thought about that. But all of us where calling ea other names we where all funning when i said it. I never talk to him again if he cant take it he shuld not say it to others. The old saying sticks and stones may brake my bones but names will never hurt me. image Call me what you want just dont call me late for dinner.. Thats just me dumb Type2. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

ColonelJessup, were you just trying to get on that "most infamous board member" thread from the other day? image

Apology accepted. I understood what you meant at the time, but I had a bad feeling many others would not have digested it properly. Glad you cleared the air with everyone.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People are way too sensitive these days and look for racism and bigotry everywhere. If you look, you'll find it all right. >>

It's out of control. The NFL is considering a 15 yd penalty rule for any player who uses the n-word, whether in fun, friendship, or fury. PC-police are everywhere.

Rick, no offense here.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Being a jewish woman, I was very offended by some of the comments too and am glad the OP took the high road in this.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im going to go smoke some pot.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>Im going to go smoke some pot. >>

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember as a kid whenever my older brother told me to do something I'd state, "what color is my skin?".

Times have changed.

peacockcoins

• Options
    People are to sensitive and abide by all the political correct views pushed by media. Call me a Cracker or Wasp and I'll just laugh at you. Don't sweat your comments. Life is too short.
  • Options

Sounds like a bunch of Camel Jockeys running around!

...........wait, I'M Lebanese! Can I say that? ( I really am Lebanese )

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Being of Asian descent, I usually don't go a day without a "chinky eyes" or "tiny male genitalia" or a "bad driver" joke being thrown around. I've never met another Asian who doesn't get a kick out of those comments.......because we know it ain't true image

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I might be a bit sheltered but I honestly I thought the word jew was a real word that had nothing to do with the Jewish people? It's used here in Wisconsin that way. I guess I won't use that word any more. image
  • Options
    The stronger one's person convictions are the less likely they are to be insulted when they're challenged.

peacockcoins

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are strange times and offense is often taken where none was intended. On the other hand, history of individuals can often contain open wounds that will bleed easily..... Moving on now... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I can understand that. Forgive, forget. It was not a problem to me as much despite my surprised reaction. But to others is what matters here. I saw perhaps too much context. The Col., is my favorite contributor in there. He has thought me so much! I can forgive and forget. Hope I get the same treatment when I mess up. He is indispensable to me...and us.

Eric

He IS the old guard. Sometimes they bring the wrong equipment. He reasons are enough for me. image
    I learned from that thread.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    If more people could apologize like that, the world would be a better place.

Thank you for making the forum better place.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick:

Nice post and well said. image

Feel free to insult me - I love Swedish jokes. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People are way too sensitive these days and look for racism and bigotry everywhere. If you look, you'll find it all right. So what? That's life and it's not your mission to "solve it". There are more important things to do.

I always liked you Colonel Jessup. Keep it coming. >>

Well since we are all ignoring the plea to not respond I'll follow along. Wolf's comment above is is so true, but this is also compounded over the internet where a person's intent cannot be read by emotion and body language. I have seen many on this site as well as others who have gotten their panties in a bunch over what amounts to very little if anything. If you’re going to participate in internet chat rooms and forums you must recognize that not everyone has your background or shares your religious/political beliefs, nor should they. A smart person can listen and learn from others, even if all you learn is that you disagree.

And just to be clear I'm not going to apologize to those here who wear panties. image
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My family is not Jewish, but Scots and Ukrainian. About a month ago we saw a play based on the Holocaust as it affected Holland during WWII. They had a couple of actors in Nazi regalia, with the swastika armbands etc and when they were done on stage they came out into the audience and sat down in the audience. The one guy started coming down our row and it literally gave me the creeps - if he had come and sat next to me as he did to the person in the opposite aisle I would have had to have asked him to move elsewhere. There is just something so perniciously evil about that symbol and the look of the people, even actors, that wear it.

It really gave me deep thought - imagine being Jewish during WWII and seeing people march into your village with that evil symbol that you have heard all about for a few years.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First:
    I would appreciate it if there were no more posts on this thread.

Then:
    I will bump this thread through Monday so as to keep this where more people might notice it.

So you'd prefer that we don't reply but you'll still bump it daily? That's absurd and vain.
    Have you considered self-flagellation as an alternative? image

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rick when you talk as much as you do it's inevitable that you will eventually stick your foot in your mouth : )

Having broken bread with you in the past I know that you meant no harm. You have a good heart.

Don't beat yourself up. Crap happens.

For religious sensitivity purposes I ask that you watch 10 episodes of South Park as penance.

MJ >>

Could not agree more. Especially the South Park holiday episodes. No apology needed.

K
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Do people get upset that easily? When I was in northern Cali I was one of very few asians in a town and was made fun of at school, called chink, gook,etc. Still I moved ahead and don't let things bother me. Even now I'll make fun of chinese people because their are many cultural differences I don't like in my own culture.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    my mother used to tell me the only time I took my foot out of my mouth was to change feetimage keep on truckin
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Brother Wease (a.k.a. Alan Levin) would say every day at the conclusion of his local radio show
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Col., image

& please do not refer to California as cali. That's midwestern slang.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See Lance Keigwin's response.

People need to relax. So many of us are so self important these days that any slight is seen as the end of the world.

No offense here either. Plus, first amendment applies everywhere last time I checked.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im going to go smoke some pot. >>

I'm offended that there was no offer to share. How dare you?

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    Just Another Perfect Day In Paradise.image

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks CJ as I just figured you might be snowed in unable to refill your medication prescription imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Damn, Colonel J.

And I had you as the number two MVP on that other thread. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems like every other thread I post to lately gets deleted, so I apologize in advance.

Anyway, when I first read the alleged offensive remark I was a bit taken back, just for a moment but then the urgency passed and I went on reading the rest of the thread. I don't know you from Adam but you seem to be well educated and speak freely, maybe too freely on a coin forum...it should be about coins but our daily lives surround us constantly and for some reason unknown to mankind, we allow that to be interjected into the most mundane of topics, coins.

However we move on...
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rick:

Feel free to insult me - I love Swedish jokes. image >>

Oh, don't start with your saab story! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Rick:

Feel free to insult me - I love Swedish jokes. image >>

Oh, don't start with your saab story! image >>

Going to go watch "Meatballs."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    ColJ- Enjoy reading your post. Code Red averted. Carry-on. image
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    Sarcasm doesn't always read well in print, but I knew what you meant.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sarcasm doesn't always read well in print, but I knew what you meant. >>

Understanding a CJ post? That's a first! image
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These are strange times and offense is often taken where none was intended. On the other hand, history of individuals can often contain open wounds that will bleed easily..... Moving on now... Cheers, RickO >>

Well said, everything now is 24/7 and worldwide.

Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    May as well make this into a coin thread! Old holdered Morgan.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file