Home Precious Metals
Options

Major Bitcoin exchange in apparent collapse

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's be careful out there!

blinky
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably hacked by JPM image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just never had any faith in this entire endeavor.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just never had any faith in this entire endeavor.... Cheers, RickO >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poof!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just never had any faith in this entire endeavor.... Cheers, RickO >>

image >>

Me three.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Niagara Falls!

SlowlyIturned
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Talk about a bad tick!

AIEEEEEE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with TRADING in Bitcoin: electrons.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with TRADING in Bitcoin: electrons.

If you step back and take a close look, the credit card industry and the banking industry also run on electrons.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jmski… that is true about plastic. But the banks have a pretty good handle on "accounting".
    The coding with BICOIN in electrons has garnered the attention BRIC governments. at least 2… If their mathematicians say it's suspect well it's not a trading platform, at the volatile levels it is seeing and has seen, for me.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>jmski… that is true about plastic. But the banks have a pretty good handle on "accounting".
    The coding with BICOIN in electrons has garnered the attention BRIC governments. at least 2… If their mathematicians say it's suspect well it's not a trading platform, at the volatile levels it is seeing and has seen, for me. >>

Yeah, the banks have a "good handle" on accounting for their $1.1 QUAD in otc derivatives......just as long as marked to market accounting does not apply to them. image

Bear Stearns, Lehman, AIG, Washington Mutual, Countrywide, and a bunch of other notables all had "good" handles on their derivatives before they went belly up. I have every confidence that our big banks are doing it right. image

Those derivatives are all recorded as electrons and valued in digi-dollars.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MtGox was one of the first Bitcoin exchanges to directly exchange Fiat USD into XBT and vice versa.

Over the years they have faced a magnitude of problems including a hack early on that resulted in a market crash, exposed their users private information, and had Bitcoins lost.

MtGox caught the attention of the United States Federal Government for not being a licensed Money Transmitter and stopped USD withdrawals and more recently XBT withdraws.

Now it's pretty much game over for them now, and this is the market responding, the writing has been on the wall for some time now as you can see.

BTC-e, the next in line of shady Russian exchanges, where webster actually coined the phrase Trollbox would be the next in line to go, especially after these antics... Already we have seen them rob people with De-listing scams. Again, the writing on the wall...

This needs to happen and everyone knows it. There were several other reputable exchanges that weren't affected in the same capacity in this ordeal. After these two Exchanges die, maybe others can step up to where these guys went wrong

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>jmski… that is true about plastic. But the banks have a pretty good handle on "accounting".
    The coding with BICOIN in electrons has garnered the attention BRIC governments. at least 2… If their mathematicians say it's suspect well it's not a trading platform, at the volatile levels it is seeing and has seen, for me. >>

Yeah, the banks have a "good handle" on accounting for their $1.1 QUAD in otc derivatives......just as long as marked to market accounting does not apply to them. image

Bear Stearns, Lehman, AIG, Washington Mutual, Countrywide, and a bunch of other notables all had "good" handles on their derivatives before they went belly up. I have every confidence that our big banks are doing it right. image

Those derivatives are all recorded as electrons and valued in digi-dollars. >>

I need to get a shovel ... I just stepped in a pile of bovine doo - doo
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Buy on the dip.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Mt Gox use to deal with magic the gathering cards? I thought I saw that back in the day, they were known for that.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are Bitcoins trading around $230 on MtGox, $600 on Bitstamp and on Localbitcoins the buy ask spread is $600/$1000 and both sides are getting orders?

Isn't there ways to say, buy at $230 on MtGox and sell it for $600 on Bitstamp? This is a screwy marketplace.

Markets
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    I don't think that MtGox is operating anymore. Kind of like driving by an abandoned gas station that still shows prices from last year.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And.... another one bites the dust. Silk Road has been hacked, and it is believed a record amount is lost.

SilkRoad

Those of you who have bit coins... have you dumped them in time? Or... do you look at this as a buying opportunity?
    ----- kj
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    easy come easy go

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    FBI launching criminal probe into Mt. Gox. Link
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Hacked and stolen. Gone. Bitcoins is temporary like fiat currency, but even more vulnerable.

I'm glad this happened before it got 1000 times worse. People can only trust Gold and Silver in their possession.

• Options
    Two important words in investment decisions: Counterparty Risk

• Options
    The whole Bitcoin phenomena never had any credibility with me. If you want to invest in something other than the dollar put it into real estate, equities, PM's or a case of whiskey. image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The whole Bitcoin phenomena never had any credibility with me. If you want to invest in something other than the dollar put it into real estate, equities, PM's or a case of whiskey. image >>

Attaboy! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>The whole Bitcoin phenomena never had any credibility with me. If you want to invest in something other than the dollar put it into real estate, equities, PM's or a case of whiskey. image >>

Make mine bourbon!
  • Options
    "Whereas Bitcoins can vanish, Gold cannot." - David Morgan

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Looks like they found some of the missing bitcoins:

CNN article
    Ed
  • Options
    Yeah, they found 200,000 bitcoins in "old wallets!"

Really make you want to trust this clown car!

linky

Edited per correction below.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, they found 200,000,000 bitcoins in "old wallets!"

linky >>

The article indicates: 200,000 bitcoins image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah, they found 200,000,000 bitcoins in "old wallets!"

linky >>

The article indicates: 200,000 bitcoins image >>

Oops! I was originally going to type $120,000,000, and then I changed it to bitcoins and forgot to drop the extra zeroes. My bad.

Still a lot of money to be lying around in "old wallets." I found a $20 bill in an old pair of work pants once, and thought that was a lot of money!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It's a lot of money to have in limbo, hard to believe they did not keep track.

It's also almost double the amount of their bankruptcy, does that mean they aren't bankrupt even though their customers are still missing 650,000 coins?
    Ed
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $237, on NYSE now

<< <i>Probably hacked by JPM image >>

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. image