Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best response to Cherrypicker?

So there I was at a local B&M and the owner smiled and asked me ..Cherrypicker?
It seems to rub me wrong when dealers ask me this , afterall arent we all cherrypickers? Dont we all know how to distinguish value?

Whats the best response to this from all sides?
Educated!
U bet! Anything with anything left on the table?
Cherry what?
Im a dealer

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Cherrypicker?...."No, I drove here in the convertible"

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you need to slow your roll a bit image
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So there I was at a local B&M and the owner smiled and asked me ..Cherrypicker?
    It seems to rub me wrong when dealers ask me this , afterall arent we all cherrypickers? Dont we all know how to distinguish value?

Educated!
    Cherry what?
    Im a dealer >>

Am I a cherrypicker? Absolutely, I demand the same privilege to rip you that you exercise against the proverbial little old lady.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanx, my engine is just fine

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Cherries are in season right now, I work in Marketing, why would you ask such a strange question?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • I normally say isn't everybody, only difference being what they are trying to pick out be it varieties, grades, look, dates, types or prices. Isn't every transaction the sweet spot combination of attributes and price and aren't you looking to sells these anyway?
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    You talkin' to me? You TALKIN' to ME?
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ditchdigger !!! image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ditchdigger !!! image

Steve >>

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Best response to Cherrypicker? >>

No.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say no, I'm looking at die states. If they know what the heck you're talking about than you can have a meaningful conversation (while you cherrypick).
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • A buddy of mine once said

"why is it your fault for a dealers ignorance in a coins true value? Yes its true, its an art to leave a dealer happy to sell you a coin that you got a great deal on ;but they getting upset for their own ignorance? that is just rediculous,cant expect to be too successful if you deal with coins and dont know the coins."
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A buddy of mine once said

"why is it your fault for a dealers ignorance in a coins true value? Yes its true, its an art to leave a dealer happy to sell you a coin that you got a great deal on ;but they getting upset for their own ignorance? that is just rediculous,cant expect to be too successful if you deal with coins and dont know the coins." >>

Ya see, it's just easier to throw you out of the shop than to deal with that. image
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My response the one time I've been asked was, "Aren't we all?" to which he replied with a chuckle and handed me another box.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always say the same thing....Maybe.... what cha got? image
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I'm just here to throw away money.
    LCoopie = Les
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    "Cherrypicker?"

"No thanks, I had a big lunch."

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got any cherries???? image Cheers, RickO
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Not yet, I haven't paid my bill"
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    BING!
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they aren't in season yet.

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be tempted to ask the dealer "Izzat how you define yourself when you're buying numismatic collectibles from sellers at 50% of published wholesale prices?" image

Or better yet: NO. Nosepicker. Ya hungry ?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So there I was at a local B&M and the owner smiled and asked me ..Cherrypicker?

Educated!
    Cherry what?
    Im a dealer >>

What do you get when you cross an octopus with a coin collector?

An 8 row cherry picker.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..... been asked, rubs me a bit the wrong way too.

I think I said, "Uh, I'm just looking for some coins." Be polite but play dumb. Any other answer leads to unpredictable places. Sop owners are perfectly within their rights to toss you out and some people go perfectly apoplectic if they think you've found something they didn't notice. Doesn't have to make sense.....
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    There have been a few good responses posted here for those dealers who are paranoid about 'cherrypickers', but this really doesn't address the underlying problem. If a collector is willing to pay the posted price for a seller's coin, without dickering, why should it matter to the seller why the collector is buying it? Is it okay for a collector to purchase the coin because he wants one with that date? Or he wants one with that mint mark? Or he wants one in that grade? But it is only forbidden if he is a cherrypicker, and wants it for the die marriage? How is that even logical? Why should the seller even care. If he has priced his coins at a price which allows him to make a profit, and a prospective buyer is willing to buy the coin at the listed price, why should the collector's motive even matter? And as has been stated here by others, if a seller is concerned that there might be money left on the table when a 'cherrypicker' buys a coin, then the seller should educate himself to properly attribute his coins.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    There have been a few good responses posted here for those dealers who are paranoid about 'cherrypickers', but this really doesn't address the underlying problem. If a collector is willing to pay the posted price for a seller's coin, without dickering, why should it matter to the seller why the collector is buying it? Is it okay for a collector to purchase the coin because he wants one with that date? Or he wants one with that mint mark? Or he wants one in that grade? But it is only forbidden if he is a cherrypicker, and wants it for the die marriage? How is that even logical? Why should the seller even care. If he has priced his coins at a price which allows him to make a profit, and a prospective buyer is willing to buy the coin at the listed price, why should the collector's motive even matter? And as has been stated here by others, if a seller is concerned that there might be money left on the table when a 'cherrypicker' buys a coin, then the seller should educate himself to properly attribute his coins.

That makes too much sense. Well said. image
    Dan
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "yepper, where's your cherry selections?"

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "That's what she said."
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There have been a few good responses posted here for those dealers who are paranoid about 'cherrypickers', but this really doesn't address the underlying problem. If a collector is willing to pay the posted price for a seller's coin, without dickering, why should it matter to the seller why the collector is buying it? Is it okay for a collector to purchase the coin because he wants one with that date? Or he wants one with that mint mark? Or he wants one in that grade? But it is only forbidden if he is a cherrypicker, and wants it for the die marriage? How is that even logical? Why should the seller even care. If he has priced his coins at a price which allows him to make a profit, and a prospective buyer is willing to buy the coin at the listed price, why should the collector's motive even matter? And as has been stated here by others, if a seller is concerned that there might be money left on the table when a 'cherrypicker' buys a coin, then the seller should educate himself to properly attribute his coins. >>

Ego. The dealer doesn't want to be "shown up" or "ripped" by a collector.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont want to know about your cherry picker.
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "No sir, more of a cherry popper, actually."
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

Best response to Cherrypicker?

...I'm more of a peach pit picker....image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say "Not really. Just looking for a nice coin or two to add to my collection."

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I was hoping you could eliminate my need for that. I'm looking for ___________, what do you iike collecting ? "

Otherwise, it's "Yes sir".
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No...I'm retired.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Best response to Cherrypicker?

...I'm more of a peach pit picker....image >>

This one reminds me of an old song . It starts out like this

I am not the pheasant plucker,
    I'm the pheasant plucker's mate.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is one man's junk is another man's treasure...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There have been a few good responses posted here for those dealers who are paranoid about 'cherrypickers', but this really doesn't address the underlying problem. If a collector is willing to pay the posted price for a seller's coin, without dickering, why should it matter to the seller why the collector is buying it? Is it okay for a collector to purchase the coin because he wants one with that date? Or he wants one with that mint mark? Or he wants one in that grade? But it is only forbidden if he is a cherrypicker, and wants it for the die marriage? How is that even logical? Why should the seller even care. If he has priced his coins at a price which allows him to make a profit, and a prospective buyer is willing to buy the coin at the listed price, why should the collector's motive even matter? And as has been stated here by others, if a seller is concerned that there might be money left on the table when a 'cherrypicker' buys a coin, then the seller should educate himself to properly attribute his coins. >>

image >>

+1. aside from having fun with the thread, i hope responses like this make into C.P. threads at least once each time. tyvm image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Huh??? I am just look'n to fill some holes in my dad's old Whitman coin folders I found in a box.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I support some of the more creative and or false responses. Never found cherry picking to be a reason to bend my belief in being honest. "Aren't we all" seems like an appropriate and mature response.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I like to hear their response when I say what I do!!! image
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I will not say. I dont want any one dealer to know if i'm picking him or not by my response here. Funny how dealers are going crazy not knowing what the hell they do or dont have in there stock. imageimage keep them thinking...... But cherrypicking is not just one thing like a Vam or RPM or DDO/R it's a big mix of things. I have been picking some nice stuff. image

Hoard the keys.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me: What's a cherrypicker? I've never heard that term before.

Dealer: ....shows me a copy of the Cherrypicker's Guide

Me. Well I'll be. Who would have thought there's be such a book?

Dealer: I guess you're ok.

Me. I'm here to pay "retail-retail." image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "only if you're a dealer that doesn't know his cherries."

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• WestySteveWestySteve Posts: 567 ✭✭✭
    My response:

"No, I'm not a cherry picker. If I was, there are two absolutely amazing deals I see here that I'd scoop up. But I'll leave them to you or the next guy to find them."

That would drive him crazy looking for something that doesn't exist.
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Nope, I'm looking for dreck and high prices....and I see I'm in the right place!"

OK, I wouldn't really say that.

Tom

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Let me see that half dime.
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No. Let me see that half dime. >>

Best answer yet. That's what I would say. image
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file