Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS 1974-D Aluminum Lincoln Cent

PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
I just read the new missive from PCGS e-Collector about the MS63 1974-D Aluminum Lincoln Cent just out of grading. Very cool.

I was surprised some dealer names were mentioned, though. Isn't the coin illegal to own?

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see it at the Long Beach show at the Heritage table... shouldn't be too busy at the Heritage table at the show since they aren't doing an auction there!!!!! image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got the email. I thought they were illegal, but it is out in the open now and will be auctioned. Guess we will find out on the legality in the next day/weeks.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP - if you change your title to this thread
    by adding "ALUMINUM", you'll get alot more
    posts/opinions/comments........

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before scrolling down I figured it had to be an Aluminum one...
  • Options
    Just want to make sure everyone knows
    that this is a DENVER '74 Aluminum Cent.

It's a previously unknown coin from that Mint.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx Fred, you read my mind image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Aluminum...Now that make it worth looking at. I wonder if this will be taken by the SS
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't wait to see it at the Long Beach show at the Heritage table... shouldn't be too busy at the Heritage table at the show since they aren't doing an auction there!!!!! image >>

It will probably be a good idea to go see it early, just in case the SS decides they want a closer inspection.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    so is this coin man made by a employee on purpose or ?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing Read! Very exciting. It will be a must see at auction lot viewing and a lot to watch, that's for sure!

Auction estimates? My estimate is mid 6 figures...whatever that means. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    From the article:

"Weinberg, who was among those involved in the research and authentication process for the 1974-D aluminum cent, said there's considerable information about 1974 Philadelphia Mint aluminum cents, but only one printed reference he can find about any produced at the Denver Mint."

A coin rumored to exist based on conversations with mint employees but not seen publicly in decades and whose current existence remained (until now, anyway) unconfirmed? Imagine that! image
  • Options
    According to a retired Denver Mint
    employee, 10 pcs. were struck there,
    and at least one was sent to Washington DC.

.....and, I wouldn't worry about the coin
    being confiscated this week at LB.

I don't think the Gov. works quite
    that fast.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! What a fantastic numismatic event! Can't wait to hear more!
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just want to make sure everyone knows
    that this is a DENVER '74 Aluminum Cent.

It's a previously unknown coin from that Mint. >>

So this makes two known Aluminum Cents Fred??

Never mind. I read the linked article and can see that its now three aluminum cents.

That kinda throws them into the realm of being common! image

Uh .......... no!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Amazing Read! Very exciting. It will be a must see at auction lot viewing and a lot to watch, that's for sure!

Auction estimates? My estimate is mid 6 figures...whatever that means. image >>

I'm going to be waiting for a slightly higher grade for my collection. One can never be too picky with these types...

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone thinks its gonna hit over 1 million?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll bet Dan Carr is very glad he didn't "create" any before an actual one was legitimized
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone thinks its gonna hit over 1 million? >>

No. Modern.

Edited: I don't mean modern in the "Modern Junk" sense of the word. There's simply not enough time for possible others to have surfaced. I don't have a million to spend but my limited knowledge says that it wont.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    Fred,

Being as you have seen the coin in hand what is holding it at 63?

The posted pic makes the coin look much nicer.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that this new discovery has the same broad flat rims as the Philly coins, and which is not seen on the usual bronze pieces. Very cool.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Fred - Does the weight of the new coin match the Philly pieces? (0.93 gms)
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would this be considered a pattern or off-metal?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    << Would this be considered a pattern or off-metal? >>

Pattern.

The 74-P is not really a pattern, but an aborted regular issue. Remember, more than 1.5 million pieces were struck.

The 74-D is a trickier call. If indeed there really only were ten pieces struck, and that they were struck for official purposes, you could argue that they were experimental in nature, and therefore more "pattern" than "regular issue". Until I have a better handle on the history of the coin(s), I'm not ready to make the call.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does, "I found this coin in a roll" work for this coin? Personally, I think it really does. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does, "I found this coin in a roll" work for this coin? Personally, I think it really does. image

Leo >>

It's an awfully big coincidence that an aluminum cent happens to be struck in Denver the same year the experimental ones were produced in Philadelphia.
    This one stinks of mint employee tomfoolery!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

<< <i>OP - if you change your title to this thread
    by adding "ALUMINUM", you'll get alot more
    posts/opinions/comments........ >>

Oh boy, just noticed that....what a dope I am! image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aluminum is like $.38 per pound at the recyclers.
    It's going to take a few rolls to make a buck. image
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's an awfully big coincidence that an aluminum cent happens to be struck in Denver the same year the experimental ones were produced in Philadelphia.
    This one stinks of mint employee tomfoolery! >>

Not if there were official orders (though undocumented) to do so.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aluminum is like $.38 per pound at the recyclers.
    It's going to take a few rolls to make a buck. image >>

At least TWO!!! image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya know, San Francisco was making business strike cents in 1973 and 1974 also....................

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ya know, San Francisco was making business strike cents in 1973 and 1974 also....................

image >>

Troublemaker! image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    As a big time fan of Aluminum coinages, I'm glad to see this coming to light. I guess I made my once a month (or so) visit to the board at the right time!

I still think they should clad aluminum with copper-nickel and go back to the large size dollar, by the way. It would give the grandeur of the large dollar without the weight. If I ever become a government official it'll happen. (about as likely as the entire Sports Illustrated swimsuit model roster showing up at my door asking for dates!)
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad they never went to it and hope they never do. Aluminum base coins are the hallmark of third world countries .... junk from Ceylon. As a collector piece it's monumental and as I see it far eclipses the pervious record holder , the 1958 DDo
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ya know, San Francisco was making business strike cents in 1973 and 1974 also....................

image >>

But so far as we know they were not involved in the aluminium cent striking so, Dan Carr can you make aluminium blanks and strike 1974-S cents?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad one has been slabbed.

A whale of a coin or something similar ... image

K
  • Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    What an honest dealer. He first thought it was struck on a foreign planchet and bought it for $300. Figured out it was an aluminum cent and tracked down the seller to split the proceeds. That is really impressive.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone thinks its gonna hit over 1 million? >>

no
  • Options

<< <i>What an honest dealer. He first thought it was struck on a foreign planchet and bought it for $300. Figured out it was an aluminum cent and tracked down the seller to split the proceeds. That is really impressive. >>

Not really most likely. With a coin like that to maximize profit and in this case leagality, it has to be an open book in regards to origin and provenance. The dealer most likely relized the thirst for details would have dug up the seller anyway and caused a spat where his name would been dragged through the mud. The consigner gets a provenance gift wrapped with some good guy advertising by "going back". Sounds like a solid business decision, I honestly believe you can count the number of truly selfless acts in human history on a handful of fingers, less then that in the history of business.
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

But so far as we know they were not involved in the aluminium cent striking so, Dan Carr can you make aluminium blanks and strike 1974-S cents? >>

A week ago most of us did not know that Denver was involved. I can't think of any good reason why it was. I can't think of any good reason why, if Denver was involved, San Francisco should not be.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael P. Lantz, a former employee at the Denver Mint, said approximately ten 1974-D One Cent pieces were made in Aluminum by Ernie Martinez. Of course, this is the same Lantz that said no 1964-D Peace dollars were ever sold to Mint employees so if you don't believe his take on the Peace dollars, not sure what the stance would be on the aluminum cents.

<< <i>"I personally didn't make any of the Denver aluminum cents, I was on the graveyard shift when they were stamped. A friend of mine, Ernie Martinez, die setter and later general foreman, stamped the aluminum cents on one of the Denver Mint's standard presses. When I talked to him last Sunday he told me that he stamped around 10 of them. One thing he recalled about them was that they 'finned' badly. After stamping the blanks he returned the finished aluminum cents to Harry Bobay, general foreman, who took them to the coining division office where they were shipped back to Mint headquarters in Washington, D.C. From there, who knows what happened to them." >>

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

But so far as we know they were not involved in the aluminium cent striking so, Dan Carr can you make aluminium blanks and strike 1974-S cents? >>

A week ago most of us did not know that Denver was involved. I can't think of any good reason why it was. I can't think of any good reason why, if Denver was involved, San Francisco should not be. >>

The information on the Denver cents has been around for years. Perhaps people didn't believe Lantz's accounting of the 1974-D aluminum cents because they also didn't believe his accounting of the 1964-D Peace dollars? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

A week ago most of us did not know that Denver was involved. I can't think of any good reason why it was. I can't think of any good reason why, if Denver was involved, San Francisco should not be. >>

The information on the Denver cents has been around for years. Perhaps people didn't believe Lantz's accounting of the 1974-D aluminum cents because they also didn't believe his accounting of the 1964-D Peace dollars? image >>

Just because the information was available does not mean that most people were aware of it. It was news to me.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a dozen or so that look aluminum. image They weigh 3.1 grams. My nephew's hands were shaking when he dug them out after I mentioned this thread, yesterday. I had to laugh because I went through this with the guy who sold them to me , initially ( "a penny each… I don't pay extra for coatings or color" )
    I forgot about even owning those "dipped in something" specimens…. And here, my nephew was thinking we could retire. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What an honest dealer. He first thought it was struck on a foreign planchet and bought it for $300. Figured out it was an aluminum cent and tracked down the seller to split the proceeds. That is really impressive. >>

Not really most likely. With a coin like that to maximize profit and in this case leagality, it has to be an open book in regards to origin and provenance. The dealer most likely relized the thirst for details would have dug up the seller anyway and caused a spat where his name would been dragged through the mud. The consigner gets a provenance gift wrapped with some good guy advertising by "going back". Sounds like a solid business decision, I honestly believe you can count the number of truly selfless acts in human history on a handful of fingers, less then that in the history of business. >>

You must not have kids. Or parents for that matter. image

K
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not really most likely. With a coin like that to maximize profit and in this case leagality, it has to be an open book in regards to origin and provenance. The dealer most likely relized the thirst for details would have dug up the seller anyway and caused a spat where his name would been dragged through the mud. The consigner gets a provenance gift wrapped with some good guy advertising by "going back". Sounds like a solid business decision, I honestly believe you can count the number of truly selfless acts in human history on a handful of fingers, less then that in the history of business. >>

You must not have kids. Or parents for that matter. image

K >>

And you must not have a dictionary. Choosing or prioritizing to sacrifice to better, enrich, shelter or in anyway advance your own lineage or family isn't selfless, dedicated for sure but not even close to selfless.
  • Options
    And you must have your own dictionary. Google it.

All good. You win.

K
  • Options
    Is it legal to own?
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it legal to own? >>

Very good question. From the story, it appears it was stolen by an employee.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file