Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

anyone looking for a hoarde of cards ? took some pics today !

I think Im picking this up , don't want anything but the 70s cards anyone looking for the rest ?
from some guys father who passed away use to own card shop

Comments

• Options
    That's impressive!

What else is there, any 50s or 60s?
  • Options
    Obviously been sitting in a non-climate controlled storage unit for a while. Doubt very seriously that they are worth the effort if it's mostly 80s-present stuff.
  • Options
    been in storage unit 10 days , guy is emptying dads house to sell
  • Options

<< <i>That's impressive!

What else is there, any 50s or 60s? >>

not sure
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    If you find any 1980 topps baseball I would be happy to have it
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    How much for shipping....image
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    that would be fun
  • Options

<< <i>How much for shipping....image >>

haha I could freight it , get an 80 percent off from ups freight image
  • Options
    What is location?
  • Options
    FIRE SCARECROW ! (from Wizard of Oz) FIRE FIRE FIRE (from Beavis and ButtHead) oh my - I can't have a single card at the house that is worthless before I freak out and need to rid it - IGNITE THAT WHOLE PLACE !
  • Options
    I have always wanted to find something like that again . I was always a set builder and have literally
    several hundred sets started but not finished . I bought about 100,000 cards from a guy . When I finally
    sorted all the cards I had tons of sets not finished
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the price were right?

Would be a fun exercise - never know - there may be some "diamonds" in there?

My guess? When they closed the shop, all the good cards were sold and the only thing left was kindling for the next big ice age.
    Mike
  • Options
    You should probably meet with your banker.
  • Options

<< <i>I have always wanted to find something like that again . I was always a set builder and have literally
    several hundred sets started but not finished . I bought about 100,000 cards from a guy . When I finally
    sorted all the cards I had tons of sets not finished >>

are you in Atlanta, I am in Marietta.
  • Options

<< <i>If the price were right?

Would be a fun exercise - never know - there may be some "diamonds" in there?

My guess? When they closed the shop, all the good cards were sold and the only thing left was kindling for the next big ice age. >>

haha probably true.

there is signed balls, jerseys and memorabilia in there too.

could be all junk who knows, just trying to get get the price around 800 dollars.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much are they asking?
    Mike
  • Options
    like around 2 im not paying that though

I want to buy around 800

Im going to have to pick up Unwoundsage at home depot to help me load the truck
  • Options
    They want unwoundsages mom sisters and grandma for the lot - Like John Belushi's offer in that movie - Take ?
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    No......Im in upstate New York
  • Options

<< <i>They want unwoundsages mom sisters and grandma for the lot - Like John Belushi's offer in that movie - Take ? >>

Going to need a translator.
  • Options
    So,
    I guess I am picking up next weekend. the seller emailed me

"Sorry, I just got in. I know that there are some 70's. I know that one of the balls is a Pirate team ball and has Roberto Clemente. I am not sure about the jerseys"

I guess if the ball is autographed by Clemente and in good shape should be worth what I am paying ?

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, have fun going through the stuff. Hope you find some diamonds in the rough, but for $800 it is not like you would be taking a bath. Plus, the enjoyment factor is worth something to me too.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    ha yeah I could easily get my money back for most of it , even if it was a flop.

I just want to dive into it like Scrooge McDuck

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I'm sure there are loads of '52 Topps commons in there. All gem minty, of course.
  • Options
    ha ,
    don't I wish , I think the best there is some 70s and early 80s and some inserts from modern.

• Options
    Would love to see what basketball stuff is in there
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So,

"Sorry, I just got in. I know that there are some 70's. I know that one of the balls is a Pirate team ball and has Roberto Clemente. I am not sure about the jerseys"

I guess if the ball is autographed by Clemente and in good shape should be worth what I am paying ? >>

You are correct. A team signed ball with a decent Clemente auto would likely cover your purchase price. Nice!
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So,

I guess if the ball is autographed by Clemente and in good shape should be worth what I am paying ? >>

I would pretty much guarantee you that the autographs and memorabilia are fake.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So,

I would pretty much guarantee you that the autographs and memorabilia are fake. >>

lol and why is that ?

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like there could be some great finds in there, considering that even in the junk years, gem mint cards can sell for decent prices. Good luck and keep us informed!

-Nathanael
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like there could be some great finds in there, considering that even in the junk years, gem mint cards can sell for decent prices. Good luck and keep us informed!

-Nathanael >>

thank you , I shall !
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>So,

I would pretty much guarantee you that the autographs and memorabilia are fake. >>

lol and why is that ? >>

The fact that studies have shown over 90% of all autographs on the market are fakes? And just that I have a hard time believing the guy has a legit Clemente ball.

I definitely hope I'm wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>So,

lol and why is that ? >>

The fact that studies have shown over 90% of all autographs on the market are fakes? And just that I have a hard time believing the guy has a legit Clemente ball.

I definitely hope I'm wrong. >>

I talked to the guy on the phone today going to look at the stuff on Thursday to figure out how I am going to this logistically.

I asked him about the balls and stuff. He said his father use to have a card shop in Florida after he retired from the Navy. After he closed the shop he kept collecting cards to pass his time. He had the balls and the signed jerseys in his store as displays but were not for sale. He said he got them all signed in person but who knows. He also said" in his house he had the display glass cases from his shop filled with cards in plastic holder things (lol)." So maybe there are some nice cards but who knows.

He did say some guy from their was a jersey from some pirate guy named Parker. So I guess that was Dave signed Jersey.

I will add pics Thursday and then when I pick the collection up.

I guess I will see Thursday . If I can find the box

I really do not know much about modern cards, is there anything I should look for ? I know inserts and stuff. But are there any sets of anything ?

now how am I going to bring this in the house without the wife noticing lol
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Send the wife on vacation. 2 weeks should give you enough time. image

And my hunch is that the Clemente signed team ball is a facsimile signature ball, sold at the team gift shop or concession stands back in the day. Those aren't remotely comparable to real signed balls in price, but they're not junk or worthless - $20-$25 or more if it looks nice (they're desirable display pieces).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck - it looks like there will be plenty to make your initial amount back...no need to speculate when you will find out very soon...enjoy!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I love going to see big collections like this. I feel like a little kid at Christmas .... is it morning yet ?

I just like the hunt really. I love looking at weird hoarders collections. I just hope its not all 1988 topps cards .

But does anyone know what good cards are from the 90-2000s? I see there is basketball, football, baseball, looks like soccer in there from the pics

I have no idea about modern cards.

• Options
    In my experience, the dumber a guy pretends to be, the more likely it is that he is trying to pull a scam. "Some Pirate guy named Parker". Please. Sellers research their own stuff before they list. The fact that is he trying to make it obvious that he is clueless, and thus giving you a great deal, is a huge red flag that he knows that he has a bunch of worthless stuff.

It reminds me of those lame eBay listings where someone is pretending to sell their ex-husband's collection. "I don't even know who these players are, some guy named Mickey Mantle". Yeah, okay George. You're selling a fake Mantle. We get it.
  • Options

<< <i>In my experience, the dumber a guy pretends to be, the more likely it is that he is trying to pull a scam. "Some Pirate guy named Parker". Please. Sellers research their own stuff before they list. The fact that is he trying to make it obvious that he is clueless, and thus giving you a great deal, is a huge red flag that he knows that he has a bunch of worthless stuff.

It reminds me of those lame eBay listings where someone is pretending to sell their ex-husband's collection. "I don't even know who these players are, some guy named Mickey Mantle". Yeah, okay George. You're selling a fake Mantle. We get it. >>

yeah this guy was totally clueless though

• Options
    so I went out to the hills of Talladega to see the cards and now I am back .

I was able to only look at maybe 10 percent of the cards , there was so much stuff and not easily accessible .

I did not get to see the Clemente ball or Parker jersey.

But I was able to find a auto NCAA championship team ball , not sure what team.

here are those pics.

There was also a album with photos of these two Olympic Athletes training before the 1968 Olympics there were stamps on the back of the photos with information but did not get a snap shot

here are two pics from the album

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I love going to see big collections like this. I feel like a little kid at Christmas .... is it morning yet ?

I just like the hunt really. I love looking at weird hoarders collections. I just hope its not all 1988 topps cards .

But does anyone know what good cards are from the 90-2000s? I see there is basketball, football, baseball, looks like soccer in there from the pics

I have no idea about modern cards. >>

Most of the soccer from then (at least the 90s) is junk. I'll help you parse through what's what, and I'll buy what you don't want.... even the junk. Just send me pictures (or post pictures here).

One man's trash is another man's treasure, etc., etc.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    Here is some modern cards I took pics of
    there were lots of albums of these kinds of cards and boxes of sets I guess ?

if anyone know what cards these are let me know. I know nothing about modern or even who plays these days lol

• Options
    there was monster boxes 3 to 5 thousand count , too of cards sets like these

I think 86 and 81 topps football ?

• Options
    I only found one album of 70s cards and it were these, but they said there were more , I only looked at maybe 10 percent of what was there so. When I pick them up on next Saturday, I will see whats really there

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I love going to see big collections like this. I feel like a little kid at Christmas .... is it morning yet ?

I have no idea about modern cards. >>

Most of the soccer from then (at least the 90s) is junk. I'll help you parse through what's what, and I'll buy what you don't want.... even the junk. Just send me pictures (or post pictures here).

One man's trash is another man's treasure, etc., etc. >>

thanks I shall let you know
  • Options
    if anyone can figure out what year or team the ball is from let me know

does anyone know about pics like those ?

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    That's a nice start, you never know what your going to get in collections like this. Good luck and can't wait for more pictures
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you did great, assuming you already purchased it. You'll do fine with just what you've shown here already. If you're worried about your wife noticing, would you be able to take over payment of the storage unit, or move them into another one until you have more time to go through everything? You might only need to pay for one month.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if anyone can figure out what year or team the ball is from let me know >>

I tried looking up several names / variations but unfortunately, nothing has tied them all together. Good luck!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    thank you for looking