Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since 2007??? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    A younger man was I.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......? >>

Tomorrow will be 2130 days since whenever........image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best guess would have to be the day that Fidel Castro stepped down.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My best guess would have to be the day that Fidel Castro stepped down. >>

that works image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess....the beginning of the housing bubble burst.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -Pluto was demoted

-S&P was 1460

-Jobs unveils iphone

-I was having a Bavarian Christmas wit da Fam. image
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Great Recession began........glad that's over! image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good guesses in Castro, but the reality is that 2129 days ago silver was at the same price as it was today. Yup, almost 6 years ago.

As other classes have left silver in the dust over this time period, perhaps now is time to give silver more consideration. Its also time to consider if silver lived up to its hype as so promoted these last 6 years. Supposed fundamentals did nothing to influence price so should they be relied upon in the future?

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    ...Your reverse crystal ball is a bit nearsighted. Go back a dozen years and you will find $5 Silver. We are up 4 fold since then.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Supposed fundamentals did nothing to influence price so should they be relied upon in the future? >>

Fundamentals drove price to over $40. "Price controls" drove it back down. Odds are that a repeat is more than likely.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Dang! I should've bought 12 years ago and sold 2 years ago! What was I thinking!image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>...Your reverse crystal ball is a bit nearsighted. Go back a dozen years and you will find $5 Silver. We are up 4 fold since then. >>

Time can work in your favor if you let it. image

• Options

<< <i>...Your reverse crystal ball is a bit nearsighted. Go back a dozen years and you will find $5 Silver. We are up 4 fold since then. >>

I never said $5 silver was a bad investment.

Yes derryb, fundamentals drove it to 40. That fundamental also pushed it back to $19.

But imagine if someone pushed and pushed and pushed a stock for 6 years only to see it at the same price?

• Options

<< <i>But imagine if someone pushed and pushed and pushed a stock for 6 years only to see it at the same price? >>

buy low, sell high, then buy again.

<< <i>Yes derryb, fundamentals drove it to 40. That fundamental also pushed it back to $19. >>

fundamentals haven't really changed. Must be something else pushing it back to $19 - maybe a chart did it.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But imagine if someone pushed and pushed and pushed a stock for 6 years only to see it at the same price? >>

Why is silver picked for this comparison when it is mainly due to typical market behavior? You could pick the equity markets as well as commodities and come up with worthy comparisons. 2013 silver bashing continues.

The Nasdaq never made it back to its 2000 highs after 4-6 years of "pushing" into the fall of 2007. Another 6 years of pushing since then and the Naz is still over 20% short of its 2000 highs.
    "Someone" has pushed and pushed this entire index for two individual periods of 6 years at it's not even at the same price yet. There are no doubt numerous other equities/sectors in the S&P 500 that can
    say the same thing (ie even my former company CVA is not back to its 2007-2008 highs...and "someone has been pushing." Who knows exactly what it all means?). One could make the same comparisons
    in the Dow and S&P back in the 1966-1982 era. Markets routinely fall from peaks and don't make it back after 6 years of "rebounding" or "pushing." After the 1929 crash it took the DOW 25 years to get
    back to the same price. So what did that say about all the "pushing and pushing" by the entire nation that went on until 1954 only to see it at the same price? The metals will apparently have to endure more of
    this recency bias just as stocks did in 2001-2002 and 2009.

CVA chart for "fun"

I have to wonder if the debt heavy WTE/EFW business took a punch in Oct/Nov to start leading the S&P 500 down? This business has always had tight margins and been tough to run as quarterly projections
    leave little room for errors or "misses." The big gap down under key support after a price doubling could be the end of the 2009-2013 recovery period. In the best light, maybe this is just a back-test of breaking out above
    the 2009-2011 sideways channel. The huge October volume dwarfs anything of the past 8 years. So here's a stock that has "pushed and pushed" for about 7 years to regain that 2008 high. Lots of "good" institutional
    money was behind that move. What's that say about the industrial goods/services side of our economy? Sam Zell was the money source that rescued this company from Chapter 11 back in 2002 with a $225 MILL infusion.
    Individual sector stocks have taken some hits the past few months, even biggie WM. In looking at the senior management/insider stock transactions in 2013, all I see are "sales."
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Text Why is silver picked for this comparison when it is mainly due to typical market behavior? You could pick the equity markets as well as commodities and come up with worthy comparisons. 2013 silver bashing continues.

Because its a precious metals forum? If this is typical then why all the promotion ?

But you are right, its all typical. Just like any asset class. Nothing special.

As is the behavior of the investors. All typical.

• Options
    2346 days now.

Children have been conceived and now entering 1st grade during this time.

CVA stock is up 20% since the OP.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when silver was $20/oz another time, about 35 years ago.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>I remember when silver was $20/oz another time, about 35 years ago. >>

And to think, using the published CPI, you would need $66 today by buy what that $20 silver bought in '79.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

And to think, using the published CPI, you would need $66 today by buy what that $20 silver bought in '79.

image >>

U mean for that long time that 1oz of silver still stayed an oz of silver?...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

Or today you need 3 oz of silver to buy what 1 oz did then.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

U mean for that long time that 1oz of silver still stayed an oz of silver?...

Or today you need 3 oz of silver to buy what 1 oz did then. >>

So what's it all mean? Maybe wrm can chime in with maybe a neW discovery...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2129 years ago it melted at the same temperature, too image
  • Options
    Lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2350 days and we still don't know

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options

<< <i>2350 days and we still don't know

Steve >>

Don't know that silver is the price it was 6 years ago?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's happening today ? I can't remember 2129 hours ago.
  • Options
    2735 days now. Will we hit 3000?

• Options
    3406 days ago....silver was at this same price. Twas a nice run from 7 to 14 in 2005/06.

Some events from May 2006. Some of these seem like such a long time ago. And some issues we still dealing with...Iran, Immigration, sugar in soda, stolen data...

World
    Bolivia Nationalizes Natural Gas Industry (May 1): Under orders of President Evo Morales, the military takes over the country's energy fields.
    Moussaoui Sentenced to Life in Prison (May 3): A federal jury in Virginia sentences Zacarias Moussaoui to life in prison without the chance of parole for his role in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
    Israeli Parliament Approves Governing Coalition (May 4): Israeli prime minister Ehud Olmert will control 67 of 120 seats in parliament. Coalition includes his Kadima party, the Labor Party, Shas, and the Pensioners Party.
    Leaders Sign Peace Pact for Darfur (May 5): The Sudanese government and the leader of Darfur's main rebel group agree to a cease-fire that calls on the rebels and the government militias to disarm, will allow 5,000 rebels to join the Sudanese Army, and establishes a fund for the war's victims. Two smaller rebel groups do not join the accord.
    Iranian President Lists Grievances in a Letter to Bush (May 9): In his 18-page letter, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says that the war in Iraq and the abuse of prisoners by U.S. soldiers contradict Bush's Christian values.
    U.S. Endorses Plan on Palestinian Aid (May 9): European proposal would help Palestinians pay salaries of civil servants and alleviate shortages of food and medicine. Aid has been cut off since Hamas took control of the government.
    U.S. to Renew Ties to Libya (May 15): Bush administration announces plans to normalize relations with Libya, citing Libya's decision to renounce terrorism and give up its nuclear weapons program.
    Hussein Charged with Crimes Against Humanity (May 15): Panel of judges indicts former Iraqi president Hussein on charges of crimes against humanity. Ruling is part of his trial that focuses on the execution of about 150 Shiites in Dujail in 1982.
    U.S. Curbs Sales to Venezuela (May 15): The Bush administration announces it will no longer sell military equipment to Venezuela because the country has refused to cooperate with terrorism investigations.
    UN Panel Recommends Closing Guantánamo Prison (May 19): The United Nations Committee Against Torture denounces the treatment of terror suspects and criticizes the CIA for holding prisoners in secret detention centers overseas.
    Iraqi Parliament Approves Government (May 20): Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's cabinet includes 17 members from his Shiite coalition, seven Kurds, seven from a Sunni coalition, and five from a secular alliance. Three important posts—the ministers of defense, interior, and national security—are left vacant.
    Montenegrins Vote for Independence (May 21): Preliminary results from the election commission indicate that 55.4% of voters choose independence from Serbia.
    Bush Meets with Israeli Prime Minister (May 23): President Bush indicates that he supports Ehud Olmert's plan to unilaterally withdraw about 70,000 settlers from the West Bank, but he also encourages Olmert to negotiate with Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas.
    Bush and Blair Admit Mistakes on Iraq (May 25): In a joint news conference at the White House, president and British prime minister express regret for the abuse of prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison, for removing all Baathists from positions of power in Iraq, and for other missteps.
    Abbas Challenges Palestinian Government to Accept Peace Plan (May 25): Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Palestinian Authority, says he will call for a referendum on a proposed Palestinian state if the Hamas-led government fails to accept the plan within 10 days.
    Journalists Killed in Iraq (May 29): Paul Douglas and James Brolan, two Britons working for CBS News, are killed by a roadside bomb in Baghdad. A third journalist, Kimberly Dozier, an American, is critically injured.
    Accident Sets Off Riots in Afghanistan (May 29): A truck in a U.S. military convoy crashes into 12 vehicles, killing five civilians. About 15 people are killed and dozens are wounded in anti-American riots that follow the accident.
    U.S. Says It Will Join Europe in Talks with Iran (May 31): Iran, however, must halt its uranium enrichment and reprocessing before the U.S. will enter negotiations.
    Nation
    Immigrants March in Dozens of U.S. Cities (May 1): More than 1 million people who support the easing the country's immigration laws hold peaceful protests in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, and other cities.
    House Passes Lobbying Bill (May 3): Votes, 217–213, for reform legislation that attempts to limit earmarks and would require lobbyists to be forthcoming with their activities, stiffen penalties for violations, and require lawmakers and aides to take ethics-training classes.
    CIA Director Resigns Abruptly (May 5): Porter Goss, a former Congressman and CIA officer, steps down after a tumultuous 19 months in the position. (May 8): President Bush selects Michael Hayden, a U.S. Air Force general, as Goss's successor. (May 26): Senate votes, 78–15, to confirm Hayden as the director of the Central Intelligence Agency.
    House and Senate Pass Tax Bill (May 10): House votes, 244–185, to cut taxes on stock dividends and capital gains and extend for one year changes to the alternative minimum tax that will benefit about 15 million wealthy families. Tax cuts total about $70 billion. (May 11): Senate, voting 54–44, passes similar legislation. (May 17): President Bush signs the bill.
    Paper Reports That Government Has Amassed Vast Phone Record Database (May 11): USA Today reports that AT&T, Verizon, and BellSouth have given the National Security Agency telephone records of tens of millions of customers. Both BellSouth and Verizon deny turning over the telephone records.
    Bush Discusses Immigration in Speech (May 15): In a nationally televised address, president presents a plan to station 6,000 National Guard troops at the U.S. border with Mexico. Proposal also offers immigrants a legal route toward citizenship.
    House Votes to End Incentives to Oil Companies (May 18): Votes, 252–165, in favor of renegotiating contracts with oil and gas producers that allow them to avoid paying about $7 billion annually in royalties to the government when they drill in public waters.
    FBI Searches Lawmaker's Office (May 20): In an unprecedented raid, the FBI removes documents from Rep. William Jefferson's Congressional office. Jefferson is accused of receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes from a small high-tech company, iGate Inc., in exchange for helping it secure contracts with the Nigerian government and companies in West Africa.
    Nagin Reelected in New Orleans (May 21): Incumbent mayor Ray Nagin wins runoff election, defeating Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu, 52.3% to 47.7%.
    Electronic Data on Millions of Veterans Stolen (May 22): The Department of Veterans Affairs announces that a computer containing personal information, including the Social Security numbers and birth dates of about 26.5 million veterans, was stolen. An employee brought the computer home, and the computer was stolen during a burglary.
    Senate Passes Immigration Bill (May 25): Votes, 62–36, for legislation that would allow about 11 million illegal immigrants to eventually become citizens, creates a guest-worker program, and enhances security at the border with Mexico.
    Senate Confirms Officials (May 26): R. David Paulison is approved as director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and Idaho governor Dirk Kempthorne is confirmed as Secretary of the Interior, succeeding Gale Norton.
    Treasury Secretary Resigns (May 30): President Bush nominates Henry Paulson Jr. to replace John Snow as Secretary of the Treasury.
    Homeland Security Grants Criticized (May 31): Antiterrorism funding is cut by about 40% for New York City and Washington, D.C., while cities in Nebraska and Kentucky receive increases of about 40%. The document that outlines the grants says that New York City has “no national monuments or icons.”
    Business/Society/Science
    Soda Companies to Limit Sweet Drinks Sold in Schools (May 3): Coca-Cola, PepsiCo Inc., and Cadbury Schweppes agree to remove sweetened sodas and other drinks from schools by 2009.
    New England Flooded by Record Rains (May 16): Nearly 13 inches of rain fall over eight days in much of New England, causing the region's worst flooding in 70 years.
    Enron Executives Are Convicted (May 25): Kenneth Lay and Jeffrey Skilling, former chief executives of Enron, are found guilty of fraud and conspiracy by a Houston jury. Lay is convicted of six counts of fraud and conspiracy and four counts of bank fraud. Skilling is found guilty of 18 counts of fraud and conspiracy and one count of insider trading.
    Thousands Die in Indonesian Earthquake (May 27): About 5,750 people are killed in a 6.3 magnitude earthquake on Java Island. Nearly 500,000 are left homeless.

• Options
    Same stage, different actors...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2020 4:01PM

Feb 26, 2008. Silver was the same price as it is today. This is fact derryb, not perception.

4480 days have passed.

When I started this thread we were only at 2129 days. How much fun have we had??!!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

same discussion, different form

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do have some very shiny and expensive gutters. Have to run the Weimans through the ole pressure washer every now and again.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Can't compete with The Fed that can create trillions of USD by snapping their fingers and distribute as they see fit. Someday criminals pay for their crimes but that day sure ain't today.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

But the same "drum beaters" from 6 1/2 years ago, are still "pounding the drums." ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@cohodk said:
    Good guesses in Castro, but the reality is that 2129 days ago silver was at the same price as it was today. Yup, almost 6 years ago.

As other classes have left silver in the dust over this time period, perhaps now is time to give silver more consideration. Its also time to consider if silver lived up to its hype as so promoted these last 6 years. Supposed fundamentals did nothing to influence price so should they be relied upon in the future?

Another buy and hold fool who thinks that silver stayed at the same price for the past 6 years. Sorry you missed the extremely multiple profit opportunities that silver provided. Learn to trade, not to hold.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Another buy and hold fool who thinks that silver stayed at the same price for the past 6 years. Sorry you missed the extremely multiple profit opportunities that silver provided. Learn to trade, not to hold.

Trade? That's what paper silver is for, you don't trade physical. The premiums would eat you alive. Terrible, terrible advice. lol

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Trade? That's what paper silver is for, you don't trade physical. The premiums would eat you alive. Terrible, terrible advice. lol

Agreed!!! And we were preached this was insurance. So we are supposed to trade insurance?

The advice given when silver was higher than present is that we should buy more. Prices targets of $100-$150 were projected. Talk of the Fed print money out of thin air would surely push silver higher. Talk of silver shortages and huge demand.

And now the pump and dumpers and doomsayers tell us we should have sold. LOL.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more things change, the more they remain the same.... :D This applies to so many things, including commentary here. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Can't compete with The Fed that can create trillions of USD by snapping their fingers and distribute as they see fit. Someday criminals pay for their crimes but that day sure ain't today.

The Fed is engaged in an exercise designed to push people into the overvalued stock market. At the same time, the central banks are buying real assets with fake money, which is beyond criminal. Way beyond.

we were preached this was insurance. So we are supposed to trade insurance?

It's more than just insurance, and no - your core position is insurance, and you certainly DON'T trade your insurance.

But the same "drum beaters" from 6 1/2 years ago, are still "pounding the drums." ;)

Was Paul Revere a "drum beater"? There are a lot of analogies with the past in play today.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

I have traded physical for over a decade. Buy right and sell right - it isn't that hard (well, now it is with the premiums jacked up so high). Used the profits to add to core holdings.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2020 3:01PM

@cohodk said:

But imagine if someone pushed and pushed and pushed a stock for 6 years only to see it at the same price?

If he sold it when it went up and bought it when it went down, numerous times, same price six years later means nothing. Same price only bothers you buy and hold guys.

Over half of my silver stack was bought with volatility profits. It's how one increases the stack without digging into the pockets. And if it is the same price six years from now volatility will hopefully allow me to double the stack again.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

If he sold it when it went up and bought it when it went down, numerous times, same price six years later means nothing. Same price only bothers you buy and hold guys.

Over half of my silver stack was bought with volatility profits. It's how one increases the stack without digging into the pockets. And if it is the same price six years from now volatility will hopefully allow me to double the stack again.

OK I'm raising the BS flag. Lets see the numbers. There is no doubt you are the leader amongst the "underwater" silver crew. That or your sack must be the size of gumps microscopic peanut. Man up FFS! Semper Fi!!!

• Options

peeking in the boys bathroom again blitz?

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Its 12 years now. Promises unkept. Snake oil salesman now changing his tune.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2020 9:12PM

Snake oil salesman buys low, sell high. . . wash, rinse, repeat. Uses gains to build his stack. No change in tune, stack growing all the time. I have acknowledged this procedure as long as I have been on this forum. Typical of you to post your fake news. Sorry you missed the profiting in silver but it's your own doing, not mine. Get over my success, focus on your own.

• Options

Lol. "If" youve made any money it has been from trading "paper" silver or stock market derivatives as youve so frequently admitted and glorified. And yet, they are very instruments you so openly disparage and criticize.

Thats the epitome of hypocrisy.

• Options

Anyone not taking profits at the moment on physical silver is a fool. Looks like that includes you. When I sell silver it is always followed by a repurchase at a lower price. That is how you grow a stack smartly. Pay attention, learn something.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Anyone not taking profits at the moment on physical silver is a fool. Looks like that includes you. When I sell silver it is always followed by a repurchase at a lower price. That is how you grow a stack smartly. Pay attention, learn something.

But what about the fundamental and insurance?

Calling people fools for not selling is the same as calling them fools for believing in fundamentals and insurance.

Hypocrisy.