Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the worst downgrade you've ever heard of?

I hear plenty of upgrade stories here on the forum, about folks who've cracked out coins and had them come back 2 or 3 grades higher.

But what about downgrades? What's the worst, most painful downgrade story you've ever heard of?

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    does it count if someone bought a coin in a slab, sent it in for regrade and it come back not genuine?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's nowhere near the worst but I sent PCGS a 66RD Lincoln I felt was overgraded. It came back 64RD, turning a $325 coin into a $4 one.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TJM965TJM965 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sure it's nowhere near the worst but I sent PCGS a 66RD Lincoln I felt was overgraded. It came back 64RD, turning a $325 coin into a $4 one.
    Lance. >>

NICE GOING!!!!!!
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm sure it's nowhere near the worst but I sent PCGS a 66RD Lincoln I felt was overgraded. It came back 64RD, turning a $325 coin into a $4 one.
    Lance. >>

NICE GOING!!!!!! >>

He most likely got compensated.
  • Options
    I once had a clad top-pop Roosie that I sent in to PCGS for review because it didn't look right to me. It went from 67FB ($800+) to no grade/genuine (worth 10 cents) and I was compensated accordingly.
    - Bob

Successful BST transactions with: Tdec1000(2x), SeaEagleCoins, sweetwilliet, piecesofme, MICHAELDIXON, lkeigwin, Gerard, THEGENERAL, ponderit, pursuitofliberty, AnkurJ, kryptonitecomics
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lance. >>

NICE GOING!!!!!! >>

He most likely got compensated. >>

Yes, of course. I actually made money because I was paid more than I spent. Funny thing is, PCGS said I could buy it back for $2, in its new holder. "Sure, why not?" Now I don't know what to do with it.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>Funny thing is, PCGS said I could buy it back for $2, in its new holder. "Sure, why not?" Now I don't know what to do with it.
    Lance. >>

that is great! the equivalent of collecting state spoons or the like. "been there, done that" lol

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago, I submitted a bunch of
    $5.00 Indians in Acugrade holders for
    crossover. They were grade 64-65.
    I should have cracked them out and
    submitted them raw. I may have
    had a better chance. They all came
    back two grades lower.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny thing is, PCGS said I could buy it back for $2, in its new holder. "Sure, why not?" Now I don't know what to do with it. >>

Throw it into your upcoming 10,000th post giveaway package?

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    1858 Flying Eagle Cent going from NGC AU58 to PCGS XF45.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    An 1899 PF69RD IHC image
  • Options

<< <i>1858 Flying Eagle Cent going from NGC AU58 to PCGS XF45. >>

I have lost track of every NGC coin that went from AU to xf, way too many count.

I knew a guy who had a trade dollar that was double struck in a PCGS MS62 chop mark holder. He cracked it out to examine it only to have PCGS declare it altered. I am not really sure I understand the whole real coin with real chop marks that was "over struck with counterfeit dies" explanation that didnt distorted the negitive voids of the chop marks or the high point detail but what do I know. I do know I would much rather have the coin still in the holder to have had that conversation. He is said (still raw) coin in some early pictures I never bothered to finish processing.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a NGC 58 come back as a PCGS 50.image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once owned a Binion Hoard 1878 8TF Morgan. Bought it in NGC-64 DPL and purposely got it downgraded to NGC-63 PL. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF 1795 Half, came back tooled. A lot of BHNC people had seen that coin and never caught the tooling.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Funny thing is, PCGS said I could buy it back for $2, in its new holder. "Sure, why not?" Now I don't know what to do with it. >>

image >>

Too cheap. I have a CBH 1819/8 in PCGS VF30 saved for the 10k giveaway.

If anyone wants a 1953 64RD Lincoln for $2 plus shipping, PM me. PayPal add 6 cents.
    Lance.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turned in a wildlly toned PCGS MS69 Silver Eagle and had it downgraded to a Genuine (code 92) slab.

Was offered 3K when it was MS69 (turned it down, of course) and now it wouldn't really be worth over melt.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Hey, if anyone's got a better photo?
    This is all I could come up with. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a coin go from AU-something to counterfeit. Tough to do much worse than that.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    I was talking to a dealer who has a nice pair of Franklins graded together. One was cracked out. the coin came back minus the cameo designation,It was cracked out, yet again -1 from the new grade meaning it was now - 1 and - cameo (plus grading x2 )and now he was just forced to ask a PQ undergraded price ,obviously emotianally attached, financially invested and knowing its twin brother(sitting right next to it in case and looking identical (except for the grade of course)
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Turned in a wildlly toned PCGS MS69 Silver Eagle and had it downgraded to a Genuine (code 92) slab.

Was offered 3K when it was MS69 (turned it down, of course) and now it wouldn't really be worth over melt. >>

I think, (NO DOUBT), I would have taken the 3k....
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Personal: AU58 $900 coin to body bag $300 coin.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

<< <i>Turned in a wildlly toned PCGS MS69 Silver Eagle and had it downgraded to a Genuine (code 92) slab.

Was offered 3K when it was MS69 (turned it down, of course) and now it wouldn't really be worth over melt. >>

Code .92? Cleaned?
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    does it count if someone bought a coin in a slab, sent it in for regrade and it come back not genuine?
    . >>

uhhh, ya!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

<< <i>

Code .92? Cleaned? >>

Sorry- Code 91

peacockcoins

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If anyone wants a 1953 64RD Lincoln for $2 plus shipping, PM me. PayPal add 6 cents. >>

OY VEY! I was with ya till I seen the part to add 6 cents. That just kills it for me.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...I have a CBH 1819/8 in PCGS VF30 saved for the 10k giveaway.
    Lance. >>

Ooh, keeping an eye out for this image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...I have a CBH 1819/8 in PCGS VF30 saved for the 10k giveaway.
    Lance. >>

Ooh, keeping an eye out for this image >>

i hope he doesn't require us to post videos of us doing 1 finger pushups. whomever does the most wins ><

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Too cheap. I have a CBH 1819/8 in PCGS VF30 saved for the 10k giveaway.

If anyone wants a 1953 64RD Lincoln for $2 plus shipping, PM me. PayPal add 6 cents.

Lance. >>

I think I may know that 1819/8, I may have sold that to you on ebay a while back...sure rings a bell to me.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dealer who was looking for an upgrade on a Proof Morgan dollar cracked it out an sent it in for a re-grade. It came back marked P-L. After another crack-out it got back into a Proof holder, but he still lost several hundred dollars.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few years ago, I submitted a bunch of
    back two grades lower. >>

You were extremely fortunate that they came back only 2 grades lower. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If anyone wants a 1953 64RD Lincoln for $2 plus shipping, PM me. PayPal add 6 cents. >>

OY VEY! I was with ya till I seen the part to add 6 cents. That just kills it for me.image >>

I'm glad someone saw the humor!

I actually got a bite on this and was asked to invoice $2.06 plus shipping. Told the fella it's his, no charge, as long as he's not a flipper. It's nice to take care of forum members but no fun to be made a sap. LOL.

<< <i>I think I may know that 1819/8, I may have sold that to you on ebay a while back...sure rings a bell to me. >>

Right, Billet7...that's the one. Good memory! It's been sitting in my giveaway box for a while.
    Lance.
  • Options
    My worst is not too bad. I had a Bay Bridge commemorative half in a PCGS MS65 CAC slab. I cracked it out and sent it in. PCGS now graded it MS64. So much for CAC.

Its just part of the crackout game.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1893-s $1 ngc ms67 ->ms65
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1893-s $1 ngc ms67 ->ms65 >>

ouch. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1893-s $1 ngc ms67 ->ms65 >>

Was this the coin that NCS ruined? Did they eventually downgrade it as they should have?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1839 Head of '40 large cent.....Tom Reynolds XF45 (EAC), NGC MS61, PCGS AU53.
    Like the X-files, the Truth is Out There, somewhere......image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i can think of so many other ways to waste money
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭
    An $80k+ coin come back from NGC as no good after previously residing in a PCGS holder.
  • Options

<< <i>I had a NGC 58 come back as a PCGS 50.image >>

I have seen this happen too, it's ridiculous!
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I had a 1950 Jefferson start off in an NGC PF67CAM, which had an excellent contrast. Went to PCGS as a crossover and came back a PF67. Cracked out and went back to NGC, came back a PF66.

Decided not to submit coins any more. I'm done.

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never really played the crack out game....

Oh yea, got a box of common Morgans in yellow anacs holders from a big collection. Cracked them out and rightfully sold them for Bullion.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    Grades shouldn't fluctuate like this, but it shows just how much inaccuracy, guesswork, individual grader's standards, and luck is a part of the process...

1901 Barber Half, originally NGC AU50
    Cracked out, submitted to PCGS, came back PCGS XF40
    Cracked out, resubmitted to PCGS, came back PCGS VF30
    Cracked out, resubmitted to PCGS, came back PCGS AU50

So, given the above situation, what is the true grade of the coin???

And people wonder why I don't play the submission game.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    My 1993 First Strike SAE downgraded from MS69 to MS66 due to milk spotting.

That really hurt.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a 1799 $5 ngc au50 that I knew was over graded at au50. Sent it to them for a grade revile and they confirmed it was a 50. I had the bright idea to cross to pcgs with a min grade of xf40. Dumb I know. It came back as a 40. Sent it back to ngc as they were so sure it was a 50. This time thy graded it a 45. Thanks ngc. This was the start of me slowing getting away from coin collecting. They did nothing when their grade guarantee was in effect and graded it properly when they had no financial obligation.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lance. >>

NICE GOING!!!!!! >>

He most likely got compensated. >>

Yes, of course. I actually made money because I was paid more than I spent. Funny thing is, PCGS said I could buy it back for $2, in its new holder. "Sure, why not?" Now I don't know what to do with it.
    Lance. >>

I'll give you $3 for it!!image
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    I sent a MS66RD in because it had a spot on it for review. PCGS pulled the coin from the holder. So it went from 66RD to a flip with a damaged tag on it. I was compensated by our hosts and it was requested that this coin not be resubmitted. It still resides in the flip they returned it to me in. I look at it as a nice conversation piece regarding the high standards not to mention the strong integrity of PCGS.
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, if anyone's got a better photo?
    This is all I could come up with. . .

image >>

Is this the one?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few years ago, I submitted a bunch of
    back two grades lower. >>

You did pretty well compared to what I have seen happen. Hopefully you did not pay 64-65 money. If you did, consider it tuition.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    A little over ten years ago Mitch (wondercoin) helped me submit a bunch of PCI worn commemoratives to PCGS for crossover as I was seeking a lowball 52 commem set.

One of the coins, graded VF20 with PCI ended up in a PCGS AU50 slab. You could say that's an 'upgrade', but no- for all intent and purposes, it was a downgrade (of 30 points!).

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file