Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

?What Would You Do? (hypothetical) *** NOW, a Complication!!***

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
.....after buying a hot dog at a coin show you glance at the change and see a pristine RB 1877 IHC. What would You do??image ****Complication added in thread****

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    ....eat the hot dog.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then, carefully, ask if they have change for a dime.

Preferably all cents.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    The last time that occured was at a coin show in 1879.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eat the hot dog. Having seen the prices of those recently, they are not of interest to me at those levels. In other words I would not pay a 5 figure price for such an item. I'd rather have a really choice copper-nickel "white" cent, an 1864 Bronze and a nice Proof from the 1900s and still have a lot of money left over.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....after buying a hot dog at a coin show you glance at the change and see a pristine RB 1877 IHC. What would You do??image >>

Look around for the hidden camera, and try to spot the actors and producers who have set me up.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Then I would dip it in Sriracha sauce. The hot dog, not the coin.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The last time that occured was at a coin show in 1879. >>

The hot dog wasn't invented until 1893.

peacockcoins

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The last time that occured was at a coin show in 1879. >>

No actually I saw one circa 2000 that was wonderful.

This is not a Mint State coin, but I sold this one years ago. It was tad over graded at AU-58, but still nice for a lot less money.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Then I would dip it in Sriracha sauce. The hot dog, not the coin. >>

The Sriracha sauce might be more scarce than the coin in the near future.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The Sriracha sauce might be more scarce than the coin in the near future. >>

Ain't that the truthimage

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Sriracha sauce.. why would it be getting scarce?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like Sriracha sauce.. why would it be getting scarce?? Cheers, RickO >>

The plant in So Cal has been shut down by the courts, after much legal wrangling between the owner and the neighbors. Apparently, the strong small from the factory is somewhat of a nuisance to the neighbors.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walk over to PCGS and submit it for grading.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    First I would look at the fethers to see if it was an overseas issue, Then I would order 2 more dogs because I am a big guy, and would of course use the sauce... It is sad that things like that happen. Out here in wisconsin we had a dirt circle track that was there for 50 years people built houses near it then complained about the sound and got it closed down, sad.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wake up.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ask for mustard

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Look around to see if Scott Travers is at the show. image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The Sriracha sauce might be more scarce than the coin in the near future. >>

...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The plant in So Cal has been shut down by the courts, after much legal wrangling between the owner and the neighbors. Apparently, the strong small from the factory is somewhat of a nuisance to the neighbors. >>

Fear not. According to my Asian buddies the case has been dropped by the court. Keep chugging image
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

Apparently, the strong smell from the factory is somewhat of a nuisance to the neighbors.

...and we certainly wouldn't want to offend!!!!!!!!!!! imageimage
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The plant in So Cal has been shut down by the courts, after much legal wrangling between the owner and the neighbors. Apparently, the strong small from the factory is somewhat of a nuisance to the neighbors. >>

They need to move production to that rock in the Pacific Japan and China are fussin' and a feudin' over!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Walk over to PCGS and submit it for grading. <<<

+1 image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would carefully check it to see if there was "COPY" or "MADE IN CHINA" anywhere on it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trash your hotdog and go across the street for a good lunch. Take a friend. Hell, take a cab. . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not closed just they need to fix the smell there are putting out. They said it will be fixed in the next two or three mo.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 508 ✭✭✭
    Considering the price of the food at most convention center, you probably still came out behind on the deal. image

It would be a seriously good find.

Numismatist @WitterCoin

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd throw the dog in the trash, sell the coin, and buy a better lunch with the profits. Don't want to end up like Virgil Brand.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I would immediately grab the commercial size bottle of yellow mustard and violently squirt it all over my shirt and pocket-protector (intentionally disguising myself to look like an experianced coin dealer)...then walk and talk the bourse floor till it was sold image

Erik
  • Options
    OK. Two Days Later.. Rick Snow posts reporting an 1877 IHC has "gone missing" from inventory. ..
  • Options

<< <i>OK. Two Days Later.. Rick Snow posts reporting an 1877 IHC has "gone missing" from inventory. .. >>

I would return it to Rick if he has a pic to identify it as being his coin.

• Options
    Yup. But to those who already sold it...you'all got some 'splainin to do.
  • Options

<< <i>Yup. But to those who already sold it...you'all got some 'splainin to do. >>

Why? There's nothing wrong with selling a coin found in the change you received from the purchase of a hot dog.
  • Options
    I would clean off the Sriracha sauce and return it to him. If Rick says it is his. I trust him.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting side-bar. Within the last few years, ANA received a gift of over 150 1877 1c. . image

Also, I have no doctoring friends who use sriracha sauce. Watch for a surge in sales after this thread. Law of Unintended Consequences and all that: . image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask for Grey Poupon.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting side-bar. Within the last few years, ANA received a gift of over 150 1877 1c. . image

Also, I have no doctoring friends who use sriracha sauce. Watch for a surge in sales after this thread. Law of Unintended Consequences and all that: . image >>

Sriracha imparts a wonderful red brown patina to Copper....

just kidding. just kidding.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well say he was in line in front of you at a 7/11 3 miles away and you got that in change, it would be a sure bet that
    it belonged to him................now if he was'nt in line in front of you and you got that in change the odds would be astronomical.

Now back to the coin show bourse floor and you buy a hot dog and recieve it in change, you have to calculate how many 1877 IHC
    may be in attendance and how many that may or may not have walked through the door x the number of tables x the number in
    attendence and determine the numbers of varibles, such as hot dog sales and estimated consumption of mustard & sriracha sauce.

With all that worked out I would show the change find to Rick and abide by his determination on whether it was his or not.

And in the future I would go across the street and buy a cheesburger and avoid (hypothetical) occurances such as these image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    I am going to his shop the first part of Dec. so I would show it to him to see what he thinks. If he said it was the missing one I would give it back, just how I do things.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hypothetically speaking, I'd use my iPhone to snap a picture, post it here and have everyone guess the grade.
  • Options
    I was hoping somebody would explain why "you'all got some 'splainin to do" if I sold a coin I received in change.
  • Options

<< <i>I was hoping somebody would explain why "you'all got some 'splainin to do" if I sold a coin I received in change. >>

...I'm pretty sure that I could explain that entire situation to any explanation-seekers with one finger; sky high image

Erik
  • Options
    Ok- go ahead. I'm listening.
  • Options

<< <i>Ok- go ahead. I'm listening. >>

...my right hand...my middle finger...sky high. Any questions???

Erik

Edited to add: just so I am clear...the above would be my own explanation to anyone who would question me for selling a coin that I found in my change.
  • Options
    Ok- thanks.
  • Options
    So is this a hypothetical or real? Either way I would sell it since its not my area of interest.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options

<< <i>So is this a hypothetical or real? Either way I would sell it since its not my area of interest. >>

The thread title says hypothetical so I'm guessing it's hypothetical.image

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Don't understand why that happened. The City where the plant is based gave them all sorts of financial incentives to set up the plant in their municipality.

The one I think is funny is that there used to be a four block long area which is downwind, in back of the Scattergood Sewage Treatment Plant in El Segundo, where no housing of any sort was allowed to be built. Five years ago, the area got re-zoned. You now have custom built - expensive - houses built right up to the Scattergood plant's fence. When they let the stink out of the plant at night, these people need to keep the windows of their homes closed.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish people wouldn't always segue away from what a thread is supposedly about...

Oh well....

For the "hypothetical", if it is hypothetical it is also not very likely, hence I, personally, don't spend much time thinking about it.
    If it did happen, it is no longer hypothetical and then it could get interesting. However, again, if it is hypothetical it is also unrealistic and not, imho, worth me trying to play a game with.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The hot dog wasn't invented until 1893. >>

The idea of serving sausages on rolls predates the 1893 World's Fair. But the term "hot dog" was coined about that time.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file