Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dusting Off Some Copper from my Personal Collection

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's been quite a while since I've posted coins from my personal collection, so I thought I'd dust off some of my old favorites and give them a little airing out. image

Each coin in my collection has something unique and interesting about it - at least to me. For a coin to "qualify" for my collection, it needs to have at least one of three things: beautiful toning, a neat/bold variety, and/or an interesting error. Any way, I hope you enjoy looking at my little babies as much as I do!

This 1942 is the last coin I kept from the original collection I inherited from my aunt that got me started in coins. It was raw and when I sent it to PCGS, I was very pleased to get this top pop "brown" grade.

FYI, in case you'd like to see the rest of my collection, including my Conder tokens and exonumia, they are all posted on my website HERE.
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, if those are just a sampling of your favs…I can not imagine what the "rest" of your collection is like!!!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Small in size, but monstrous in appearance!

Is that the 69/9 cent that you cherried, Charmy?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Charmy, thanks for sharing some of your great collection.
    I enjoyed every one.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are all spectacular examples!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coins, excellent taste. Good job. Never EVER sell them! Do you have a fav?

I like the 55 Doubled Die and the two off-center Indians.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Impressive

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    As Ralph Kramden would say.........hamanahamanhamana.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except for the Errors I have them all, but not as nice. When I sold my Registry Lincoln set there were just some coins in that set (and a few others) I could not bring myself to sell. So I really appreciate what is in your personal collection. image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    I like 'em. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Why is the 1942 1c not a silver or zinc planchet?

It just doesn't look like copper.

With that said, GORGEOUS specimens image
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    ... and those are why you are truly The Penny Lady...

Awesome
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    That's something special right there. I love 'em all.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! image Thanks for posting!!! image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    One WOW coin after another, one of the best IH/Lincoln posts by volume I've seen here.
    Singling any coin out almost detracts from how good the collection is as a whole.

The 14-D and 1955/1955 Lincolns are as good as it gets for BN examples and better than most RDs.
    The 1877 IH is gorgeous in color, problem free and even the feathertips are almost all there.
    And I've never seen an 1894/1894 with color like that.

An incredible collection of rarity and errors mixed with beautiful condition and color.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great group Charmy. Thanks for posting.

My fav is the 09-S, with the rev strike through. (Also, that 1887 looks familiar).
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing Charmy.

You have some lovely copper coins in your personal collection.

I am just glad that you have some very attractive "left overs" that you put into your inventory and sell to other copper collectors (including me).
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each and Every One Is Awesome!...and I don't even collect them. Silver toned copper is pretty darn cool, not common to find that at all.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Awesome image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    By the way I once owned a 1909-S reverse struck through in NGC 64RB that I sold on Ebay years ago.
    Had to dig up this rough old image on a CD I had stashed away. Wonder if they are struck through the same wire?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice stuff charmy. wtg image
  • Options
    WOW! What a collection Charmy!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    love this collection as its got diversity....no kool aid, she picked the coin not the slab.....amazing coins!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be happy if I ever finish my AU set...got one more kid to get through college first.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>Why is the 1942 1c not a silver or zinc planchet?

It just doesn't look like copper.

With that said, GORGEOUS specimens image >>

Silver Toned Copper...very uncommon! There was a 1909 posted recently that was silver toned. Cool Stuff!
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rare1rare1 Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Very cool Charmy, very cool!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad that you got those babies dusted off!image Super nice.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the look of that 1959 - like someone took a bite out of it!
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Stunning stuff, each and every one is superlative individually, and then moreso as a group. image
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good gosh, that's one heck of a collection !!

Love the 1877, 1899, PCGS 1869 and the 1880 o/center.....image
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone. I truly have enjoyed collecting these - they are my pride and joy.

Walker, yes I did "cherry pick" that 1869/69 - it wasn't attributed and the dealer I bought it from didn't know it was the overdate.

I don't really have one favorite because, as I mentioned, each one has something unique that I like. My favorite type of toning is the lustrous iridescent brown, like the 1914-D and 1955/55, but I also like the unusual toning on the 1867/67 and the 1894/94.

I bought the 1886 clamshell raw not knowing it had a split planchet until I removed it from the 2x2. I also love the 1887 strike thru which I also bought raw - it's one of the most bold strike-thrus I've seen. My favorite variety is the 1880 off center die clash. And the 1864-L engrailed rim is probably one of the first coins I bought for my collection, and was definitely the first piece of "exonumia" I bought - and it now appears in my "Penny Potpourri" exhibit (which I will be setting up again at the Houston Money show next week). It was engrailed post-minting, probably for decorative use, perhaps as a love token. It was extremely well done, and I've never seen another one like it.

The 1864 Bronze MS66 BN is the S-11 variety. Rick Snow explains in his Attribution Guide that the lathe lines could have been created from "an old die which was re-engraved for some reason. It may have been expedient to re-engrave the design directly into this working die to bring out the design. Any lines cut into the die would be very difficult to smooth out, so they were left in."

The 1880 off center die clash is S-1. The Attribution Guide states that "the clash was made prior to the die being hubbed. This means that a hardened reverse die was hand struck into a softened blank die. Why would anyone do that? One could imagine a worker picking up a blank die and hitting it with a finished die that was known to be the proper hardness. Clang! He could make a clash mark in this way just us- ing hand strength. The impression of the denticles are visible well into the design on the E in ONE. The clash is partially obliterated on either side of the wreath. This shows that there was metal movement on the die after the clash was made." Keyman - this is probably the 1909 you were referring to - I picked it up from Broadstruck in Baltimore because he remembered that I had the 1942 and thought they would fit nicely together - which they do!:

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    WOW. Can I come over and dust??? image
    Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    That's it I quit....
    figglehorn
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins. No wonder they are some of your favorites.

Sorry for the double post...
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Stewart Blay is the "King of all Copper"...................what then, is the PennyLady?

Post your remarks here...............................................
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy - this post is why I enjoy looking visiting the message boards. Love this thread!
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's it I quit.... >>

image....me too.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!!
    Those are some AMAZING and unique cents!!!!!
    Colorful and unique each and every one is indeed!

Thank you for tonights eye candy and inspiration!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW...Just Beautiful!

Erik
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Good stuff, Charmy. Thanks for showing them.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    Very Niceimage
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brb… gotta change my genes.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly awesome coins Charmy.... may I say a viewing of these coins would pair extremely well with a Stag's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I was looking at a few copper coins today and thought this was MOST CERTAINLY a thread worthy of bumping. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file