Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened collections + recent rip photos: 1986 Topps Football Cello Pack Just Ripped

As a new member who loves to collect unopened material, I thought it would be fun to create a thread showing photos of unopened collections + any recent rips. To me, it doesn't matter if you are sitting on a case of 1952 Topps Hi# or a box of 1990 Pro Set, all collections are fun to see. The beauty of unopened is the excitement that any card in that particular set is possible. Not to mention the nostalgia of bringing back childhood memories of racing to the local store on Saturday morning, plunking down your allowance and enjoying the smell/taste of cheap gum while thumbing through images of your heroes.

To get it started, I thought I would share a picture of a few boxes I have managed to stick away over the years. My personal focus has been to stash away a couple of boxes that have key rookie cards in them. You will see some items from the 1970's, 80's and 90's.

While I primarily keep things unopened, every now and again I get the itch to bust a few packs/boxes open. When that itch hits, I will update with images as I go. Hopefully this will encourage others to share their unopened and recent rips as well. [/URL]image

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Great Stuff Man. You got a Reggie Bar hidden somewhere in there.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome display! What years are the green cello boxes next to the 78 wax boxes?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I was replying to your introductory message, you simultaneously unloaded this on us. Now I'm really looking forward to future posts. Awesome collection, brother!

E to a: Love the '80 FB super cello boxes!
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great display! You have some awesome stuff from all four sports. Like the hockey trays and the and the 80-81 basketball!!! Thanks for posting. How did you get started with unopened? I'll post some pictures later too!

Jeremy
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    mmmmmm. Mac & Cheese.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Keep these photos coming. I love the display!
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    This is fantastic!

Are those garbage pail kids sneaking off to the bottom left leaving the screen?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Now that's a way to make an introduction! Really nice collection. Some of my favorite years. Even though I don't collect unopened outside baseball right now, if I did, I think I'd copy much of what you have for basketball, football, hockey and Star Wars.

Your boxes appear to be in tremendous shape as well. Very nice. What series are the 1973 boxes?
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome display! What years are the green cello boxes next to the 78 wax boxes? >>

They are 75 regular size cellos. One of my favorite Topps designs.
  • Options

<< <i>That's a great display! You have some awesome stuff from all four sports. Like the hockey trays and the and the 80-81 basketball!!! Thanks for posting. How did you get started with unopened? I'll post some pictures later too!

Jeremy >>

Jeremy - I look forward to seeing pics of your collection. I started putting away boxes back in the early 90's. I figured that everyday someone is opening packs, which is increasing the supply of singles and decreasing the supply of unopened. Plus I just loved looking at the artwork on the boxes/packs. At the same time, I was in college and didn't have as much time to rip packs (helping to control my urge to open). During the summer I would work odd jobs and then basically send my paycheck directly to Mark Murphy to buy some fun vintage boxes. After a few summers I had a good start. The rest has been a fun journey with BBCE and DACW (back when they had vintage boxes).
  • Options

<< <i>This is fantastic!

Are those garbage pail kids sneaking off to the bottom left leaving the screen? >>

Great eye...yes, those are GPK boxes. I love those crazy stickers...great memories from 1985.
  • Options

<< <i>Now that's a way to make an introduction! Really nice collection. Some of my favorite years. Even though I don't collect unopened outside baseball right now, if I did, I think I'd copy much of what you have for basketball, football, hockey and Star Wars.

Your boxes appear to be in tremendous shape as well. Very nice. What series are the 1973 boxes? >>

The 73's are the 5th series...had to have the opportunity to pull a Schimdt RC at some point in my life image
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Is that a full run of unopened Star Wars boxes? image
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Chris

Very cool!

You've got your stuff way more organized than myself.

We've got some really serious unopened guys here. On the old/individual pack side of the house - I don't think anyone has a nicer pack run than Griffins/Anthony. On the box side there's a bunch like Grote/Tim and CPAMike/Mike e.g.

As I said, I have a bit but it's not in my focus at all anymore.

I'd rather not post anything since this is your thread.

Thanx for sharing! Great stuff my friend.
    Mike
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    jordangretzkyfan,
    Welcome to the boards. Thanks for sharing your collection. That unopened collection looks sweet!!
  • Options
    I thought it could be fun to rip a 1985 Topps vending box tonight. This was one of my favorite Topps designs of the 80's (along with 1983). It had a great rookie class (McGwire, Clemens, Puckett, Gooden, Davis, Hershiser, etc.), until a few were tied to PEDs. At any rate, it will still be fun to see what is waiting inside. I will post results a little later.

Also, I am hoping others will add to this thread by sharing images of their collections and recent rips image

• Options
    1985 Topps is always a fun break...here were the results. Vending can always be hit or miss on condition (mostly miss), but there were a few GEM 10 chances. Unfortunately they were all commons which are barely worth submitting from this set.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff!! Welcome to the boards.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards! Man that is an impressive unopened collection you have got there. As others have said, great variety of items on display. For me, the 1980-81 Topps Basketball Boxes are especially sweet. I have been looking to pick one of those up for over a year (since I got back into collecting) but no luck so far. Keep posting updates on what you get/rip on the thread. I will add some pics of my comparatively humble unopened collection soon. I wish I would have had some of the foresight you and other members here have had in stashing away some unopened before prices started escalating. If you ever want to cash in and sell one of your 80-81 boxes let me knowimage

Steve
    Steve
  • Options
    Let me first of all say that I would have never posted my own pictures on this thread unless jordanygretkyfan invited us to do so. Here is my 1979-1986 Topps unopened box collection:

This picture shows a 1980 - 1985 Topps wax box from a sealed case from BBCE run:

Here are some OPC wax boxes:

The cello boxes are from 1979 and 1980.

One of my winter projects is to come up with some sort of display for my unopened boxes, rack packs, graded packs, and 1970's graded cards.

Lets see some more unopened stuff!!!

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Very nice collection as well jmaciu!!
  • Options
    Great photos! I love those OPC boxes. I am picking up a new frame tomorrow for some OPC graded packs and will post photos, along with an older photo of my unopened collection to give you some display ideas. I spent a ton of time working on it.
  • Options
    Wow...great run of Topps and OPC boxes jmaciu! Thank you for sharing those great photos...that is exactly what I was hoping folks would do on this thread so we can see all the amazing collections and rips in one place! Also very cool that you were able to get a "sealed case" run of boxes. Love it...keep us posted as your collection grows.
  • Options
    buntbunt Posts: 625
    Pictures make threads ! All threads should require them. That is some beautiful stuff here.
  • Options
    So after seeing the great items in jmaciu's collection, it made me want to bust a couple of racks tonight. I have a case of 1985 Donruss rack where the tape had become old and brittle and lost its factory seal, so I thought it could be fun to slow break some racks. It is always a good sign when you open the top flaps and two of the top racks have a HOFer and solid rookie showing. These two racks are staying sealed for the time being.

So then I decided to open the other rack in the top row (which had a Gwynn DK on top)...this pack was a big swing and a miss! The Mumphrey should be a solid 10 and the Perconte is the 3-line variant, which means this is likely going to be a 'Jeff Pendleton' case (i.e. Terry Pendelton error RC).

I couldn't end a night with a terrible rip, so I decided to go to the next layer of racks in the case...

No real star power on top (unless you are a Steve Garvey fan) and so I decided to rip all three. This time with much better results image

Two conclusions for me tonight: 1) 1985 Donruss are insanely tough to find 10 candidates out of packs (factory sets are another story) and 2) I still love pulling a nice Puckett RC.

Thanks to all for reading this and thanks to jmaciu's for sharing photos of his collection. Please keep sharing your photos too!!
  • Options
    I love the rip pictures. 1985 was in my hayday of my childhood collecting. I love the Boggs action shot.

Esquiresports: I can't wait to see your display!!

I really appreciate all of the compliments. I have been putting together the box run over the last 5-6 months. I appreciate all the help BBCE, grote15, cincyredlegs, mattinglymint23, and MBMiller25 have given me in building this part of my collection!!
  • Options
    Thanx for sharing and posting pic on the 85T box.

I had purchased an 85T vending case around 1992 or so - it was relatively cheap.

When McGwire was hot, hot, hot, I wish I had sold it. Now? Kindling.

One my great purchases back around 1993, a 3 box case of 79T racks:

Got this from Mr Mint's auction. I remember being shocked that no one wanted it and it went for the minimum bid.

Mike
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what it is about looking at unopened, but it sure makes me love this hobby!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    stone193, that was quite the strong investment on those 79 rack boxes.

jmaciu, very nice run on the baseball wax boxes. I like the sealed case part. That is a nice touch.

I will add some pics of my unopened collection. Like jmaciu, I am a little late to the party as I only started my unopened collection really over the last 4 or 5 months. Still, I have managed to put some things together. My main sport to collect for players and sets is basketball. However, I have really enjoyed collecting 80's FB and BB unopened. That is what I collected as a kid, I only grew to love basketball as a teenager in the 90's. I am hoping to get a nice well rounded collection like the OP. I collected some hockey cards in the late 80's early 90's so I would like to eventually get some 80's hockey boxes in the mix. For now, I have mainly BB and FB with the start of some basketball. Not pictured are a few modern boxes (a 1997 and 2-2003 Topps Chrome basketball boxes
    that house the rookie cards of Tim Duncan and Lebron James respectively).

Without further ado, here are the pics:

My football run. Starting with 81 thru 86 for wax. Missing a wax box of 83 but replaced with a cello box. Also missing a 1987 that I am hoping to pick up down the road. I am looking for non-X out versions too, but the premium is a bit much for me for now (especially if they are BBCE). In the corner is a 1978 Basketball Wax box I got as an add-on from the last group break. Very excited for my first vintage basketball box.
    [URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/unopenedfootball_zps74a421f4.jpg.html]image[/URL]

My baseball run. Starting with 2 1980 Topps Wax boxes and going thru 1986. I picked most of these up in the group breaks. The cello is an 81 Topps (I am missing the 81 Wax, so I have substituted with the cello for now).
    [URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/unopenedbaseball_zpsdc6dc8f8.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Hope to see more pics of others collections. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Where are the heavy hitters? Thanks for looking,

Steve

Steve
  • Options
    Steve,

Wow! All those boxes in only 4-5 months? That is a impressive run of gorgeous boxes. It looks like you doubled up on a few years just in case you someday get the urge to bust a pack or two image

Thanks for sharing the pics...I love seeing all the great collections. Great stuff!
  • Options
    Steve, your baseball, basketball, and football boxes are very impressive. Nice work!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Oops, double post.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I've got to admit, I like the idea of having a bunch of unopened boxes on a shelf. Unfortunately, I don't think I have it in me to resist opening them. Maybe in time...
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I gave into the voices in my head tonight - and busted four PSA graded 1976 OPC Baseball wax packs. First off, breaking into the pack slabs is a nightmare compared to the card slabs. The likelihood of pulling big cards from these packs are slim - there's only eight cards per pack, and the set is 660 cards strong. So with perfect collation - you'd need to open just over 82 packs to complete the set. My odds of pulling a centered Brett are slim...

The centering seemed to progressively get better as I went from pack to pack.

Pack #1 (above): Nothing note-worthy or potentially gradeable.

Pack #2: Centering looking a little better.

Pack #3: A decent Carew card (slightly tilted)

Pack #4: A little star power, and much better centering overall.

Thanks for letting me share!

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    John: Terrific assortment of Topps and OPC wax boxes you've accumulated there! The 80 OPC box is a tough one!

Mike: I'll take the 79 rack with Cooper on top.. image

Jeff: Some viable minty fresh OPC cards there to sub! But an even better question: Did you upload the rip to Pack Geek.com???!! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff: Some viable minty fresh OPC cards there to sub! But an even better question: Did you upload the rip to Pack Geek.com???!! image >>

Thank you, Tim! Not much in the star department - but I was happy to pull a couple of nice cards that have zero submitted at this point. No video for this one. My wife and my mother-in-law were in the next room over and I didn't want to subject them to my packgeek-ness. But thank you for asking. I do, however, have four packs of 1979-80 OPC Hockey that are just begging to be put on video.
    Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jeff: Some viable minty fresh OPC cards there to sub! But an even better question: Did you upload the rip to Pack Geek.com???!! image >>

Thank you, Tim! Not much in the star department - but I was happy to pull a couple of nice cards that have zero submitted at this point. No video for this one. My wife and my mother-in-law were in the next room over and I didn't want to subject them to my packgeek-ness. But thank you for asking. I do, however, have four packs of 1979-80 OPC Hockey that are just begging to be put on video. >>

Jeff, I'm not embellishing when I say those videos were great entertainment! The sound effects alone were funny as heck! LOL!

Here's a link for those who might not be familiar:

Pack Geek.com

• Options
    Hiya Jeff - thanx for sharing!

I see some really nice cards there.
    Mike
  • Options
    I don't have the box runs that others have.

The oldest wax I have in box form is 76OPC.

I do have 2 boxes of 79T and a vending case to go with my racks.

The vending was much cheaper in the early 90s but the wax has always been pricey and it appears to be appreciating now - perhaps it's drying up?
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I still love pulling a nice Puckett RC. >>

Very nice Puckett Chris!
    Mike
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While not near as impressive as the other collections already posted, here are my boxes. Five or six of the boxes were from the group rips. The rest were bought in the last couple months. The Topps baseball cello boxes are two 1985 and two 1982. Both of the 1982 boxes were from the group rips, one has a pack with Ripken on top. The football cello box is a 1981. I also have a few boxes that should be here by Wednesday or Thursday, a 1984 Donruss baseball, a 1984 Topps football and a couple others. My goal is at least one box for each year from 1980 to 1989 for Topps football and one from each year and make from 1980 to 1987 for baseball. I'll probably use the duplicates to sell or trade for ones I need. The last picture is junk boxes I have had since they were new.
    James
  • Options

<< <i>The oldest wax I have in box form is 76OPC.

I do have 2 boxes of 79T and a vending case to go with my racks.
    >>

Hi Mike!

Those '79 rack boxes are a beautiful thing!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Love that '79 rack case, Mike! Especially the one with Cooper on top! image

Speaking of rack boxes, I just recently picked this one up:

• Options
    Looks pretty impressive to me James!

Thanx Jeff.

Very nice rack box Tim. Wish I had spent more money back in the early 90s instead of a lot of the crap I bought with my son. Then again. We had a GREAT time together.
    Mike
  • Options
    Jeff - thanks for sharing the 76OPC pack break. Definitely some minty fresh cards there to be submitted. I have a personal soft spot for the Chet Lemon rookie...it is fun to see that one pulled out of a fresh pack. Stay strong on keeping your 79OPC Hockey sealed...those packs are getting crazy tough! Although as a Gretzky fan, I would love to see what is inside image

Mike - I love the stash of 79T you have managed to put away...great to see a vending case still exists!! Also, great wax/rack boxes...beautiful to look at.

Tim - congrats on the newly added 78T rack box. Also nice to see a Nolan sitting right on top. That box looks super clean...thanks for sharing the photo.

James - great run of crisp boxes. You have a great collection. I love your goal of football and baseball runs through the 80's...some of the best year's for legendary football rookies.

A huge THANK YOU to everyone who has uploaded photos of their collections and recent rips!! It is a blast to see all of these great packs, boxes and cases.
  • Options
    Chris - I noticed a starting lineup on the shelf.

Is that the only one?

Did you collect them? If so, please let us know about it in my "contribution" thread which is currently covering them.
    Mike
  • Options
    Here is a photo of the new pack display frame I just picked up. I know I a not going to win any photography contests. Looks many times better in person.

It's going to have a run of OPC packs from 1966-1980 (less 1968 and 1969) later tonight. I was excited to get it up on the wall and didn't have 1966 and 1967 handy, so I had to cheat a little. This frame is deep enough to accommodate packs and probably even cellos. This was a wide as I could go and still have it matted up, which was important to me.

• Options
    Love that display, Scott! Like a work of art!

Just recently picked this rack up from Brian Marcy of Scottsdale Cards, a great guy to deal with. I had been looking for a 71 rack with the yellow header card for some time now, and this one is a 4th series (Aaron, Ryan) to boot!

• Options
    As many of you guys know, I'm also an avid collector of wax trays (and in the case of 1980 Topps baseball, wax racks).