Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone with "complete" gold type set?

PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
When I say complete, I don't mean with a $4 (although, technically not exactly complete without that one). But, it would have Type I/II/III variations, WM/NM variations, classic gold, etc.

I'd love to see a picture with such a set!

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a complete gold type set, and I don't have the $4 gold piece. Those coins (Coiled and Flowing Hair) were patterns and were not issued for general circulation. If you are going to include them, and by your standards you would need both, you would need to include all of the other pattern designs that were not accepted which goes beyond what a type set of made for circulation coins covers.

Here is a link for you.

Bill Jones' complete gold type set

When you click on the link, click on "Gallery" and you can see thumbnail photos of all the coin on three screens. If you want to go into greater detail, click on the coins. All are photographed and all of them have write-ups.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive set, Bill
  • Options

<< <i>When I say complete, I don't mean with a $4 (although, technically not exactly complete without that one). But, it would have Type I/II/III variations, WM/NM variations, classic gold, etc.

I'd love to see a picture with such a set! >>

Sorry. image I misread you sentence. I thought that you included the $4 gold coins.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful gold set Bill...thanks... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful gold set Bill...thanks... Cheers, RickO >>

<< <i>Very impressive set, Bill >>

Thanks guys.

I've been working on that set almost 50 years. I bought the 1901 $10 gold from Stacks' in 1966 when I was in high school. That is the longest I have held a piece that is in the main set although a few coins that are now my "seconds" date from that period also.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill has such an awesome set. Do you have a favorite coin? Have you ever considered exhibiting it at a big show.

I love your editorials for each coin, the passion really shows.

A coin collector's collector!
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very impressive set, Bill >>

What a great looking horde of gold you have put together there. image

Wow!

Mike
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    I agree with SethChandler, it is such an awesome set and deserves to be exhibited!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with SethChandler, it is such an awesome set and deserves to be exhibited! >>

So awesome.................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set Bill!

I've got 20 of the coins on that list, only one of which compares favorably than your example of the type.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Bill, I am speachless and very appreciative of your sharing this.
    It definitely should be exhibited at a major show.
    Thank you and congratulations for such an outstanding collection!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Jealous.
  • Options

<< <i>Bill has such an awesome set. Do you have a favorite coin? Have you ever considered exhibiting it at a big show. >>

The favorite coin is a tie between the 1795 half eagle and the 1907 High Relief $20 gold.

As most all of you know the U.S. mint often used the same design on every gold and silver coin for each denomination. The small eagle that appeared on the early U.S. gold pieces was only used on the $5 and $10 gold, and that was one design that I did not have in my collection. When I got that piece it made my "design collection" complete. The coin is also totally original with lots of luster mixed with coppery toning.

The 1907 High Relief is the poster coin for the Renaissance of American Coinage, to steal a phrase from Roger Burdette. It marked the beginning of a string of wonderful U.S. coin designs, developed by outside artists, that still appear on modern U.S. bullion coins. At first I had an example of this coin in MS-63, but when I acquired this one in MS-65, it really stirred my admiration for this wonderful design. Yes, the coin is the common highly priced coin in the world, but my enthusiasm for the type is an indicator as to why this coin has held its value with generations of collectors.

The third spot goes to the 1796 No Stars quarter eagle. The coin was the last one I needed and, it cost a fortune. It is also now considered to be the rarest major U.S. type coin. Perhaps the high price keeps it from reaching the top of my list, but history has something to do with it too. The 1795 half eagle was the first U.S. gold coin that was issued by the first U.S. mint. The 1907 was Theodore Roosevelt's "pet baby." The 1796 quarter was the first $2.50 gold piece, and it did mark the introduction of the Heraldic Eagle design. Still those two factors don't outweigh the importance of the 1795 $5 gold and the 1907 High Relief IMO.

As for displaying this collection, logistical problems come to mind. It's a lot of stuff to bring to a show. You have to get to the show and then you have get home and get back to the bank vault with it.

There would also be little chance that it would win any major awards. I'll just say this about exhibit judging. First of all you have to be a professional picture framer who can put all of the titles and write-ups in a matted format or pay someone to do it. I'll spend many hours working on an exhibit, but I won't pay someone to do it. It is going to be my work.

Second you have to be part of the "in crowd," and have an "in" with the judges. I don't care if coin show judges are offended, in fact I hope they are. This is a matter of getting this off my chest. I've seen enough of taking care of your friends to know how the system works. Two judges give me a score in the range from 88 to 94 or 95 out of a hundred. The third guy gives me a score in the 70s. This has happened repeatedly and too often to be a coincidence.

I exhibit because I hope that some collectors will enjoy what have to show and say. As for the judging it is better for me to ignore it.

And that my rant for the day. Thanks for reading it. image
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with SethChandler, it is such an awesome set and deserves to be exhibited! >>

Pieces of it do get exhibited from time to time. The 1795 half eagle and eagle part of an exhibit of a 1795 year set that I did a few years ago.
  • Options
    Fantastic set!
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great-looking and well-matched set of coins, Bill! That had to take many years to put together.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't get much better than that Bill
    Outstanding.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I asked the question...thanks Bill!

Out of curiosity, with your $3 pieces, I'm curious about the vast difference in color between the two. Is that just lighting or something up with the gold alloy or ... ??? By the way, I was curious if you actually did get the different $3 types. I wasn't sure if that's something widely considered as different "types".
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just say Wow, and to think that set is only #5 in that registry...woof!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>I just say Wow, and to think that set is only #5 in that registry...woof! >>

Five?

The last time I looked it was #3. image

It was #1 last year, but that was fluke. I caught a couple of the big guys by surprise when I bought the 1796 No Stars in NGC MS-62. Or my they had mercy on me and held back for a year. The 1796 No Stars had been in an MS-61 holder the last time it was auctioned off, and yes, you do look into previous sales on stuff like that when you are thinking about what to bid.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is mine thus far. Far from complete though.

Gold Type Registry
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    When you looking to build this set, the rubber meets the road with the early quarter eagles. The 1796 No Starts and 1808 are the famous rarities, but the 1821-7 and the 1829-34 are not that far behind. The Large Size 1825-7 is really hard if you don't like pieces with scratched up fields. The mintages were so small that nearly every one of them has some P-L characteristics and every mark is magnified. The 1796 to 1807 With Stars Capped Bust is actually the easiest type in the group.

Among the half eagles the 1829 to 1834 Reduced Sized Capped Bust is a sleeper. That one is much tougher than the Small Eagle type.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Bill, nice coins
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is mine thus far. Far from complete though.

Gold Type Registry >>

Nice set and you are at the point where new additions are readily available.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful set, Bill.

I enjoyed the presentation too...a couple of paragraphs or so on the history of each type. This is so much more interesting than the banal comments collectors often use when they're impressed by their own coins.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file