Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My friend Carl Wohlforth

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
It has been a year since Carl passed away. Carl was a great individual, dealer and friend. Yesterday I was going through one of my desk drawers and found an invoice from Carl. It was for a beautiful Hudson commemorative that I have since sold. Carl is no longer with us on the Coin Universe™ Message Boards, but he is not forgotten.
Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In honor of Carl who loved cameos from this era...

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl was a wonderful guy to hang out with. Always fun tower with him and talk coins. He loved his Cameo Jeffersons. Post pics of them on his honor.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl was a great asset here and he is trully missed.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite from Carl. Thank you. And RIP.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I miss Carl too. He was a good guy.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

A year ago, the 3rd of this month. I miss Carl, too.

He was a wonderful person, husband, and father.

He is in good hands, methinks.

• Options
    Yes indeed, a great guy. Carl kindly gave me much valued advice, expressed in the best ways, when I was collecting Proof dimes and Walkers. I remember him telling me my icon was preferable to the 92-Cam I had - I needed that advice. He essentially told me how I would feel about the coin before it even arrived. He once showed me a scan of a Pr Walker with a near totally frosted sun. I remember he appreciated a very colorfully toned Pr Jeff from '41 or so - the board called it ugly and coffee stained - he sent a PM that set me straight. The amount of knowledge he shared so freely - it does live on.

I too miss Carl image

Eric

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    It was always a pleasure dealing with Carl. He is truly missed!
  • Options
    Moose1913Moose1913 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭
    I picked this one up from Carl roughly seven years ago and still have it in my collection.

imageimage
    I pick things up
    I am a collector
    And things, well things
    They tend to accumulate
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been on this board for a LONG time
    It's a shame that so many or our member have passed on.
    So many great people that are remembered here.
    It's an honor to be remembered by others and here we do just that!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    So sad....

Do you realize it's been 8 years since we lost Frank...the pug? Time goes by so fast.
    Becky
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time and members pass.....that is the sad part. The good part is the memories we forum members have of those people....and Carl left many of us with really good memories. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Carl's posts and remember him fondly, he was knowledgable, helpful, and kind and really, really loved the coins.
    Carl is among many we've lost over the years on this forum, maybe it should be our goal when we post that once we're gone, we're missed as much

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice guy who had patience with a new collector when I started and answered all my questions!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss Carl as well. We shared a passion for deep cameo nickels. I'll always remember his excitement when I made a 1953 nickel in 67dcam - I think he might have been more excited than I was!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I miss Carl who was one of many "treasured assets" of this and other forums.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only had a couple of interactions with Carl.....but they were great.

Much too young.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    My first and unfortunately last purchase from Carl - I received on Sept 1, 2012 - was going to mention him in another thread on members we lost, but more appropriate to leave it here. These remain two of my favorites!

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I miss talking to Carl and Frank. They were good hobby friends and nice people.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It has been a year since Carl passed away. Carl was a great individual, dealer and friend. Yesterday I was going through one of my desk drawers and found an invoice from Carl. It was for a beautiful Hudson commemorative that I have since sold. Carl is no longer with us on the Coin Universe™ Message Boards, but he is not forgotten. >>

So, did you pay his estate for the invoice?image
    Paul
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never had any dealings with him or even met him, but I remember his posts. Never a harsh word, always a gentleman.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just thinking of Carl tonight. Doesn't seem like two years he's been gone. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    A good guy image
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Carl was a very pleasant and easy to work with guy. I had a couple of dealings with him and I couldn't have been more pleased.
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been going through old invoices trying to organize my inventory as best as I can. I came across an invoice from Carl dated May 14th 2011 for a very nice Buff Nick that I still own. He was always such a nice guy...

We have a such a great group of people in this hobby, thank you all...

Bill

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2023 5:18PM

It does not seem that it is over 10 years since Carl passed away.

I always enjoyed interacting with him (both on hobby matters and matters outside of the hobby).

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

I always enjoyed interacting with him (both on hobby matters and matters outside of the hobby).

Do you remember his user name?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@SanctionII said:

It was his name...CarlWohlforth.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@bsshog40 said:

@SanctionII said:

It was his name...CarlWohlforth.

Thanks. I use to know a carl on the forums yrs ago. He even sent me a bust half one year, just because. His user name was carl123. Haven't heard from him in years.

• Options

His username was his name; CarlWohlforth.

• Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

I still have an 85-O MS65DMPL I bought from him, gosh 19 years ago now. Even when I lost my job in '09 that is the one coin I told my self I would never part with, and it is still with me today.

Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

Carl was a great coin collecting friend. I still have an 1858 LL Flying Eagle cent (PCGS MS64) and an original 1907 Proof set that I purchased from him and that I intent to pass on to my heirs. A true gentleman. He is missed.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great group of friends Carl had!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

Carl sold that 1880 dollar for me! It was a nice coin.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is truly humbling to see those here that pay tribute to a person over 10+ years gone.
    It feels like actors who have passed on but live on every time you see them in a movie or show.
    Here it is not a movie but a coin.
    To life remembrance eternal.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carl has a memorial page on FindAGrave here: https://findagrave.com/memorial/171642030/carl-curti-wohlforth

• Options

Carl was planning on coming to Maryland and visiting the coin shops with me. It saddened me and still does. Carl was a wonderful person and friend!

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carl was a wonderful guy. A gent.
    I bought quite a few coins from him and he was always so professional.
    I do miss him.

• Options

I went to the WayBackMachine.com, looked at his site and downloaded his picture.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file