Home Precious Metals

Chinese counterfeit APMEX bar on eBay

OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
both bars can be had from Aliexpress....and are replica or counterfeit bars...Take a look at bar #2...(3d & 4th scan) APMEX... no bullion in either bar, just alloys and any bar made by the "German Mint" are Chinese produced non bullion bars. reported to eBay & APMEX

eBay auction
"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• Just curious, how can you tell that the Apmex bar is not legit?
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay has counterfeits all the time.... stopped buying there years ago..... Cheers, RickO
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious, how can you tell that the Apmex bar is not legit? >>

APMEX bars do not have the "German Mint" logo on the reverse. German Mint products are non bullion or plated replicas produced in China

<< <i>Ebay has counterfeits all the time.... stopped buying there years ago..... Cheers, RickO >>

Not limited to eBay alone. Counterfeits are everywhere. Caveat Emptor. FYI, knowledge is the key. I've never purchased a counterfeit item on eBay. I suspect, most of us with a little bid of knowledge of what we're looking for, will be able to distinguish the real from the replica or counterfeit.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both of his bar listings reported. The sunshine bar is a counterfeit.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• << <i>

APMEX bars do not have the "German Mint" logo on the reverse. German Mint products are non bullion or plated replicas produced in China >>

I think the German mint logo is on the back of the other bar.
    3rd and 4th pics are showing both bars.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

APMEX bars do not have the "German Mint" logo on the reverse. German Mint products are non bullion or plated replicas produced in China >>

I think the German mint logo is on the back of the other bar.
    3rd and 4th pics are showing both bars. >>

You're correct, and his description of the non-APMEX bar clearly states it is composed of 60% copper.

Where he is wrong is in the fact that he has listed the second bar, the non APMEX bar which is clearly not .999 silver, into a silver bullion category which is not allowed on ebay.
    It would need to be listed under bullion "other"
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neither bar in the listing linked belongs in the silver bullion category. German silver is a slang term for an alloy that contains no silver.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    hmmm, kind of scary! Better to stick with govt bullion and 90%?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

<< <i>hmmm, kind of scary! Better to stick with govt bullion and 90%? >>

That's not always the case, unless you buy directly from the Mint or from a US based National bullion dealer, ie APMEX or Provident etc. There are lots of counterfeit, replica, plated, or "90%" coins out there...."Compliments of aliexpress.com"
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The counterfeits are everywhere. Flea markets, local auctions, ebay. I pretty much am holding on to items that I purchased years ago that I have a high degree of confidence in. Otherwise, 90% is the way to go for me, with an occasional purchase from the Mint.
    ----- kj
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This kind of stuff is going to erode confidence in "physical", and prices are likely to follow, IMO. The supply of common rounds and bars just goes up and up... what will demand do in the future?

Unless prices go up and the mania starts again, more and more of the new investors in this stuff are going to realize that common chunks of metal are everywhere, and real or fake, they aint' good for much except trying to sell to the next guy and eke out a little profit. The time and effort this is going to take to compete in the future will not be cost-effective for a large number of people.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This kind of stuff is going to erode confidence in "physical", and prices are likely to follow, IMO

In a SHTF scenario, I can see this becoming especially troublesome. Barterers will most likely have no concerns about their beef, water or gasoline. Would you trade away your essentials for an unknown?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This kind of stuff is going to erode confidence in "physical", and prices are likely to follow, IMO. The supply of common rounds and bars just goes up and up... what will demand do in the future?

Unless prices go up and the mania starts again, more and more of the new investors in this stuff are going to realize that common chunks of metal are everywhere, and real or fake, they aint' good for much except trying to sell to the next guy and eke out a little profit. The time and effort this is going to take to compete in the future will not be cost-effective for a large number of people. >>

Bad for the physical silver market for sure. I think we'll see an increase in desirability of government issued silver rounds. I also think we'll see stacker start favouring physical gold (1 oz and smaller) over silver, as the threat of fake gold coins and bars is much, much smaller than with silver. It's virtually impossible to fake the proper density of gold, especially in small sizes.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

• << <i>This kind of stuff is going to erode confidence in "physical", and prices are likely to follow, IMO

In a SHTF scenario, I can see this becoming especially troublesome. Barterers will most likely have no concerns about their beef, water or gasoline. Would you trade away your essentials for an unknown? >>

We will have silver bars with chopmarks!! image