Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I have had a Theft !!! Update !!!!!! See last Post!

Good Morning,

Yesterday morning I was listing some random stuff and I took scans of several stacks of items, a bunch of raw and a random stack of PSA stuff. I got all the raw listed and put away. I got bored and left for the Grocery Store deciding to list the PSA stuff Sunday night.

This theft was a crime of extreme opportunity, my desk sits directly across from the front door, I live in Rural Colorado and have never locked my door in 33+ years unless leaving to go out of town. The person (Most likely one of my 16 year old son's friends) knocked on the door, pushed it open (It wasn't latched, I never do) and said :Hello!:, when they didn't get an answer, looked directly across the room and would have seen the stack of cards in front of the Computor screen in their direct line of site! They simply took 3-4 steps across the room picked up the single stack. If they would have even pulled out a drawer they could have had 1000's of dollars worth of cards, but fortunitly as a I said this was just opportunity knocks.

They made a mistake of pulling the door hard enough that when I came home with my groceries it was latched...something my son and I never do, its always locked but you have to literally slam it to get it to latch.

As I said I had just scanned these items so have all the Cert #'s readily available. Although not much money all together, around $200-$300, it just Frickin' pisses me off, I will be calling the cops to file a report!

They are as follow's:

1. 1987 Fleer Basketball John Williams NM 7 # 21555185
2. 1952 Bowman Baseball Del Rice NM 7 # 21158383

3. All the rest are R59 Gum Inc. 1936 G-Men & Heroes of the Law

1. #59 EX 5 #08997401
2. #93 EX 5 #16145994
3. #106 EX 5 #16145993
4. #65 EX-MT 6 #16844475
5. #98 EX-MT 6 #16107770
6. #415 Good 2 #15973541 (Rare and worth $40-$60)

So any help.

Thanks

Neil

Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Neil, you have some bad luck man. Sorry to hear that but hopefully you'll learn to start locking the door. If I were you, I would check with my neighbors on the side and even across the street and tell them what happened to a certain extent but to also see if they have cameras pointing outside so you can check their surveillance and catch whoever it may have been in the act and so you don't assume and take it out on the wrong person neither.
  • Options
    how do you know they/he said hello
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    your son is friends with a thief?
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>how do you know they/he said hello >>

you are so clever.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

<< <i>your son is friends with a thief? >>

Yeah he goes out and seeks them out.............................What a Stupid Comment!!! You got nothing better to contribute, then keep your inane comments to your Troll friends!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    I wasn't trolling to be honest, I think it is concerning that anyone's son had friends over that would steal from his buddies parents.....
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I lived in Colorado Springs for about 8 years before moving to Texas. What part of Colorado are you from?
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

<< <i>1987 Fleer Basketball John Williams NM 7 # 21555185 >>

Sorry for your loss. I'll keep an eye out for this rarity.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry this happened.

Hopefully the off the wall content of items...1936 cards will help in the outcome.

Have you alerted any nearby card shops? Be on the lookout for them.

Keep checking ebay for listings.

I would make a few phone calls to potential parties...no questions asked return policy.

Maybe police in your neck of the woods would care about stolen items like this...around here they would not.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1987 Fleer Basketball John Williams NM 7 # 21555185 >>

Sorry for your loss. I'll keep an eye out for this rarity. >>

Wow....would expect nothing less from you, it's a $5 card if that, but was mentioned because it was in the stack!

So have a Nice Day!

Neil
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man..
    Ask your son if he was expecting anyone today and if so who?? or even who hes been hanging out with over the last 3 days or so. Or if someone broke plans with him today.
    Give him a call
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Put some pressure on your son...

He will know or find out...

and LOCK the door!!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.

not gonna lie...is was nice to finally read a post from you without all the freaky yeeeeehaaaahs.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Sorry this happened to you, Neil.
    And to wrestingcardking- why would you think that Neil would not be concerned if he finds out that indeed one of his son's friends
    turned out to be the thief? And if you have children are you sure you know everything about their friends. Get real.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>Put some pressure on your son...

and LOCK the door!!! >>

I think that Swartz said it best, but it appears Neil would rather attack me. My first course of action would be to have a conversation with my son and find his friend that is the suspect and learn my lesson to lock the door to my house. I would also be more concerned that previously invited guests are entering my home and taking things from me than to be upset with a person on the message board for a comment they made. Yes I would have concern that my son had friends that were thieves, and while we cannot know everything about people, I do think the son may have to have a better filter for who he friends. Neil is the one who accused his son's friends for being the thief.
  • Options

<< <i>

and LOCK the door!!! >>

I think that Swartz said it best, but it appears Neil would rather attack me. My first course of action would be to have a conversation with my son and find his friend that is the suspect and learn my lesson to lock the door to my house. I would also be more concerned that previously invited guests are entering my home and taking things from me than to be upset with a person on the message board for a comment they made. Yes I would have concern that my son had friends that were thieves, and while we cannot know everything about people, I do think the son may have to have a better filter for who he friends. Neil is the one who accused his son's friends for being the thief. >>

Your comment was and is still out of line....what exactly do you think I did first, Duh !!!! Called my son, put his a$$ on notice, and told him he better start texting his friends and letting them know that I am not going to just allow somebody to take something from my house! I then called the police and filed a report so if this happens (Something is taken from somebody elses house in our neighborhood, they have some history) The cards aren't worth much, its the taking that's the deal!!! And as I said, I suspected that it was one of my son's friends, but have no proof, talked to the neighbors, nobody saw anybody at our door yesterday. And of course I'll make sure the doors latched now, too Frickin' bad I have to act like City people now, that's one of the myriad reasons I live in Rural Colorado, so I don't have to deal with this type of City crap or live like that anymore!

So for those with constructive discourse on this, thanks, the couple with nothing but stupid negative comments.....well you know what you can do...........................

Thanks

Neil
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

and LOCK the door!!! >>

I think that Swartz said it best, but it appears Neil would rather attack me. My first course of action would be to have a conversation with my son and find his friend that is the suspect and learn my lesson to lock the door to my house. I would also be more concerned that previously invited guests are entering my home and taking things from me than to be upset with a person on the message board for a comment they made. Yes I would have concern that my son had friends that were thieves, and while we cannot know everything about people, I do think the son may have to have a better filter for who he friends. Neil is the one who accused his son's friends for being the thief. >>

Your comment was and is still out of line....what exactly do you think I did first, Duh !!!! Called my son, put his a$$ on notice, and told him he better start texting his friends and letting them know that I am not going to just allow somebody to take something from my house! I then called the police and filed a report so if this happens (Something is taken from somebody elses house in our neighborhood, they have some history) The cards aren't worth much, its the taking that's the deal!!! And as I said, I suspected that it was one of my son's friends, but have no proof, talked to the neighbors, nobody saw anybody at our door yesterday. And of course I'll make sure the doors latched now, too Frickin' bad I have to act like City people now, that's one of the myriad reasons I live in Rural Colorado, so I don't have to deal with this type of City crap or live like that anymore!

So for those with constructive discourse on this, thanks, the couple with nothing but stupid negative comments.....well you know what you can do...........................

Thanks

Neil >>

I should know better than to communicate with someone who excessively uses exclamation points. You can claim my comment questioning your sons choice of friends as out of line and I will stand behind that it was not necessary for you to react like you did to me. I think I post enough here for posters to know my style.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardking deserves an apology.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Are there any local shops where someone could go sell the quickly??
  • Options

<< <i>Are there any local shops where someone could go sell the quickly?? >>

Evening,

Nope, nothing in my area, closest card shop is about 130 miles East or 100 miles West, I live in the center of the Rockies.....literally!

After sit down discussion with my son, I am of the opinion that it was not any of his three-four friends who are at the house all the time, I could be wearing the Rose colored glasses, but I have a very good relationship with my son and those who have met him at National would vouch he's a pretty good kid! I just don't see it as being him or them, their good kids, play on the Football and LaCrosse teams, so I am at a loss. Looks like somebody stopped by and it was a random type thing. No matter what the case may be, the cards are missing, they are all PSA cards and if somebody is stupid enough to list them on E-Bay, I trust one of the detectives here will notify me of seeing the Cert #'s.

Whatever the case may be, I feel that overcoming my first inclination that it was my boys friends is the most important thing here, they were my first suspicion, but not now, and I'm glad.

So wrestlingcardking, however your insinuation may have been meant, it was percieved the way I percieved it, and I certainly hope your kids get a better perception from others than you deliver to some! No offense taken and I apologize!

Maurice, well you can go..........oh wait a minute...................., arguing with idiots only brings you down to their level..........So............Have a Great Day!

Neil
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing is I think these will turn up in some way as they are unique cards. The 1936s will I think stay in those cases and be sold some way down the line. And having a police report will help big time when that time does come when they are sold. Might not be days and could be a few years but they will turn up. Also you should lock them in a PSA reg set so if someone trys to list them you will know.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    I would recommend:

a. ask your son to keep an eye out to notice if any of his friends make any new big purchases. Although not a definite indicator that this would be your thief, it may be a clue.

b. keep an eye out for your local Craigslist listings for these cards. If they don't go to a card shop, or don't sell them on ebay, Craigslist is the next best choice (maybe their first choice).
  • Options
    Hey Neil,

Sorry to hear about the theft. It sucks that someone would violate your house like that. I've lived in several places where I never worried about locking my door ... and I miss those good old days.

Two things I'd add to your list of stuff to check on ...

1) I'd check with the neighbors to see if any menu delivery guys, or sales people were canvasing the area or hanging up door tags that day. Of course, it probably wouldn't help you get your stuff back, but it might help eliminate the 'who did it' question that is bugging you.

2) I'd also check craigslist to see if the cards were listed there. If there are no card shops in your area ... Craigslist and pawnshops are where the thieves move their stuff.

I hope you figure out who did it, so you can feel comfortable again ... and not have to continue wondering if it was a trusted friend, neighbor, etc.

- Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options

<< <i>

Yeah he goes out and seeks them out.............................What a Stupid Comment!!! You got nothing better to contribute, then keep your inane comments to your Troll friends!

Neil >>

Inane comment...Itzagoner
  • Options

<< <i> I just don't see it as being him or them, their good kids, play on the Football and LaCrosse teams >>

Excellent observation. Everyone knows lacrosse players are some of the best kids around. Just ask Duke.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Hey Neil..long time no chat. Looks like same Trolls on the board.. they just have different "sign on" names now. Explains my not being on the boards for most of the last two years. Looks like most of the real members no longer talk on the boards..they do it via e-mail or over the phone or in person now.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this happened Neil... that would SUCK, no matter how insignificant the value of the cards sound to some.

To add to the list of good ideas on this thread (Craigslist, pawn shops, PSA registry), if you have a smart phone (ebay app) I would add these cards to your "saved searches" list and make your phone notify you when someone posts one. If the same seller lists them all, you could contact the police who you reported it to and they would do the rest.

Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Neil..long time no chat. Looks like same Trolls on the board.. they just have different "sign on" names now. Explains my not being on the boards for most of the last two years. Looks like most of the real members no longer talk on the boards..they do it via e-mail or over the phone or in person now. >>

I've been really hurt by your absence Marc.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wrestlingcardking deserves an apology. >>

So does tsalems1.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>wrestlingcardking deserves an apology. >>

So does tsalems1. >>

LSU fans don't apologize they rent a Ryder truck and travel across the country.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Not sure I understand the concept of leaving the front door unlocked. Does it give one the sense that everyone is honest and respectful and would never violate another's private domicile, thereby giving one the illusion of living in a crime-free neighborhood? Or is it just too much trouble to reach into your pocket, find your key and lock and/or unlock the door? Not trying to be obtuse, just never grew up thinking it was okay to leave the door unlocked.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Neil, sorry this happened bud. Im not sure why some peeps feel the need to make stupid comments rather than just avoid posting but you know that some guys got nothing better to do than be ignorant.

• Options

<< <i>Hey Neil..long time no chat. Looks like same Trolls on the board.. they just have different "sign on" names now. Explains my not being on the boards for most of the last two years. Looks like most of the real members no longer talk on the boards..they do it via e-mail or over the phone or in person now. >>

Sorry... But... Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Sorry for the theft of your cards Neil. Lucky they didn't look in the draw or 'Brian Holloway' you!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

Neil >>

Edited because after I thought about it I really don't care!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw what you wrote.

When you collect Brian Winters stuff you really have no room to talk.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw what you wrote.

When you collect Brian Winters stuff you really have no room to talk. >>

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

I didn't see what was there before the edit. But I can't see the benefit in disparaging anyone's collecting interest, whether it's a 70's era basketball player or professional wrestling.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options

<< <i>

I didn't see what was there before the edit. But I can't see the benefit in disparaging anyone's collecting interest, whether it's a 70's era basketball player or professional wrestling. >>

I agree, we are all collectors.
  • Options

Ask me if I give two sh*ts about what you or anyone else thinks on a message board.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Junior Bridgeman, Winter's teammate and one of the players in the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar trade, has done well for himself post-NBA:

One of the most successful African-American's in the United States, Ulysses Lee "Junior" Bridgeman has a net worth of $240 Million. Interestingly enough, he didn't make he made most of his money after most people would say his career "ended." Born in 1953 in Chicago, Indiana (Yeh, Indiana) he had a incredible knack for basketball. He lead his basketball team to their first state championship. At 6'5″, he was eventually drafted by the LA Lakers, where he continued on a very successful 12 year career, scoring 11,517 career points. After ending his career, most people would have sat back and lived off their fortune from a career as a professional athlete. But Bridgeman was different. He was smart. He took the money he made and (are you listening 'every 2nd string althelete?) INVESTED it in franchises. Specifically Wendy's food chains. He now owns 160 Wendy's, as well as a growing number of Chili's restaurants (118 and counting). And it doesn't seem like he's slowing down. He also sits on the board of the PGA, and owns a stake in Milwaukee soda's Black Bear Beverages. You can't help but respect people like him.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

That was uncalled for
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>

That was uncalled for >>

I believe you are only calling out the person who retaliated to the person who said it first.... I personally do not get how Winters fan response to the comment was appropriate either when he started it. I mean really, a person throws insults around and does not expect anything back?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That was uncalled for >>

I believe you are only calling out the person who retaliated to the person who said it first.... I personally do not get how Winters fan response to the comment was appropriate either when he started it. I mean really, a person throws insults around and does not expect anything back? >>

Well how is what dpeck said any better than the shot I took?? I guess the wrasslin buddies have to stick together image
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    I know I'm a bit late and your thread has been derailed but just wanted to wish you luck on finding your cards. You've received some good advice. I'd definitely keep an eye on craigslist
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

That was uncalled for >>

I believe you are only calling out the person who retaliated to the person who said it first.... I personally do not get how Winters fan response to the comment was appropriate either when he started it. I mean really, a person throws insults around and does not expect anything back? >>

Well how is what dpeck said any better than the shot I took?? I guess the wrasslin buddies have to stick together image >>

BWF, you like to run your mouth on the boards. I don't. You made a statement that applies to me too. I personally don't care what anyone collects. If it makes you happy so be it. That being said making blanket statements like the one you made are ignorant and if that is how you feel so be it. If my little come back has you so upset perhaps you should consider that next time you post.

• Options

<< <i>

That was uncalled for >>

Comical post. You should have read what he wrote before he deleted it before you commented. You might think differently.

Anyone who makes disparaging comments and then deletes them is a loser in my book.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Wow....

Did you notice if anything else was missing?
    Just a thought,do you have a pawn shop in your area.

I know your frustration and anger it happened to me with a few coins......it was my daughters (ex) boyfriendimage

Good luck on finding your cards and the person who took them.

Rob
    Rob
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why anyone would waste time trolling boards, attempting to anger people. Get another hobby if this one is not enough to keep you busy.

Sorry to hear about your break in. I can't imagine how unsettling that is after so long in one place.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That was uncalled for >>

Comical post. You should have read what he wrote before he deleted it before you commented. You might think differently.

Anyone who makes disparaging comments and then deletes them is a loser in my book. >>

If it makes you feel any better I said he collects wrestling cards so what would you expect. The two of you need to not feel so butt hurt when someone says something you don't like or agree with. It's called life! I have taken sh*t in the past about collecting Winters stuff. So what?? Get over yourself.