Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has the PCGS US Coin Forum been a positive or negative influence on your coin collection or business

2»

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely huge positive impact for me. In fact, the degree to which it has enhanced my knowledge, guided my purchases and sales, allowed me to network and increased both the enjoyment and profitability of numismatics for me simply cannot be overstated. I am immensely grateful to PCGS for hosting this fantastic, free forum.

Some additional benefits have been all of the info on coin photography, FeeBay/PP, shipping, notices about coin related crimes, and even opportunities to help other forum members beset by personal/family tragedy.

The positives of this forum are simply TNTC.

The only negatives are the occasionally obnoxious or condescending posts as well as some of the moderns bashing. The latter is usually good for a chuckle when taken in context of the tremendous appreciation of some of the modern issues not to mention how much $ and interest moderns collectors bring to the hobby.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, there was the 1806 O-129 discovery coin which came to light after I sold it off my Holey Coin Vest, to Cladiator. >>

Lord M - there would be two less Overton half dollar varieties known today if it were not for you, Cladiator, and Baley!

1806 O.129 discovery thread 1807 O.115 discovery thread
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    positive influence
    .... some bad things, but good experience.
  • Options
    It has been the most positive influence in my collecting life than any other thing. I live out in a rural area and have never had a mentor or even a collecting buddy. All I have ever relied on was reading books and going to coin shows. The forum has given me insight to how and what a collector thinks and the different taste of other collectors and dealers.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All positive.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    Here's a bit of trivia. If not for eBay, I would not have found this place. If not for this place, I wouldn't have lost 2 girlfriends. If I was with them, I would be broke and not have any coins or fun.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that this forum is a great place. You get to meet a lot of interesting people, although not in person. You get some wonderful coins and exchange information.

The only thing I don't like is when dealers come on here to hype up the price of common material to unrealistic levels. As established collectors we have an obligation, I think, to help the new collectors avoid getting taken. Nothing can turn you off from this hobby more than finding out that you have bought a counterfeit or you have paid five or six times what something is really worth.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Well now.....if it was negative, I wouldn't be here for the last 10+ yrs, would I? image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    Very positive!

-Keith
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    98% positive. The 2% neg is when forum members take personal
    shots at each other.

Very few things are 98% positive, but the Forum is one.
    Members are very well informed.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭✭
    Met a lot of great people here in the chatroom who have become friends, colleagues, customers, suppliers, etc. through the years, bought some great coins I'd have never known about otherwise, learned a lot and have found the entire experience 98.6% positive.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely more positive than negative overall. The threads that start going off into political mumbo-jumbo, borderline conspiracy theories, or going off on "freedom" while suppressing other's thoughts on the subject are pretty much <alt><ctrl><delete> for me.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Definite positive.

Only negative for me is PCGS's unwillingness to keep the forum software up to date (broken search, etc.)
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Positive. I came here searching for information on a "grading company" that was selling MS66 and higher Morgans on Ebay. I found out quickly they were not legit.
    Becky
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very positive.... I do miss many of the members who used to post here regularly...some passed, some faded away, some were banned.... all of those made significant and positive contributions to the hobby and this forum. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On balance, very positive. I have picked up tips on good (and not-so-good) dealers, collections coming up for auction, numismatic history, new books, etc.
    Frankly, I learn more here than from any other venue (e.g., Coin World).
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has had a positive impact on my business from an information point of view.

It has given me an insight into how various coin market participants view dealers, material, and transactions.

In the early going there were some individuals that really ticked me off. Nowadays I just go with the flow. My goal is information and investment fine tuning, not some egotistical argument.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% helpful, thank you PCGS

Bob
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    It's good to see that most comments are positive, although the negatives wouldn't be here.

Only negative for me is PCGS's unwillingness to keep the forum software up to date (broken search, etc.)

We hear you! We purchased a major upgrade to the forum software 2 years ago but higher priorities have prevailed. Like most IT projects, upgrading is not as easy as you might think. For example, carrying all the old posts forward is a real challenge. Also not shutting down for an extended period is another.

When this new software is installed we will be introducing a couple new things that we hope will improve the overall experience and will encourage the more experienced and knowledgeable members to post.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Met a lot of great people here in the chatroom [...] >>

Not to be didactic, but this is a message board. A chat room (two words) is where
    when you type something, it shows up on everyone else's screen instantaneously.

EOM. image
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's good to see that most comments are positive, although the negatives wouldn't be here.

We hear you! We purchased a major upgrade to the forum software 2 years ago but higher priorities have prevailed. Like most IT projects, upgrading is not as easy as you might think. For example, carrying all the old posts forward is a real challenge. Also not shutting down for an extended period is another.

When this new software is installed we will be introducing a couple new things that we hope will improve the overall experience and will encourage the more experienced and knowledgeable members to post. >>

Don,
    Thank you SO much for hosting this free forum!
    PCGS is most generous to do so much less to continue to invest in upgrades.
    Ron
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it, Don. Thanks.
  • Options
    lil secret..
    Most negative thing was losing a few friends. And some are still here and they're like my brothers. They are my brothers. What am I saying ?
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum keeps me interested in the hobby much more than a weekly or monthly magazine/paper ever could. I have the forum linked in my internet favorites and visit daily. You couldn't get that "coin fix" 30 years ago. I love to hear the various opinions that people have on such a wide variety of numismatic subjects and don't even mind the disagreements. Many of the topics I get interested in from the forum never would have crossed my mind without it.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    When I first started my journey of learning everything I could this forum was tremendously helpful and stimulating. By the time I stopped posting I had learned so much and exceeded all expectations of my collecting especially intellectually, thanks to the really insightful threads here from time to time. It was by then that I was able to share much of the wisdom that I had learned. I met over 100 members, mentored a few dozen and had a great time because of the comraderie.

And I got to laugh and stir a few hornets nests as well. image
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    100% positive. I laugh at the squash matches that creep in time to time. Difference of opinion is fine, but leave with respect for each other. Don't roll gutterballs.

As I am rather landlocked to nearest B & M, I only get to see numismatic items when I travel. Of course, when travelling, numismatics is not the primary goal, just a side benefit when it happens.

So, the 100% positive, occurs here because it has made me a better grader AND appreciate other series that I have never thought of collecting before. Bust coinage is seriously appealling to me now.

The biggest PLUS - grading and recognizing coins that have been messed with. We have a rather elite group of people here. Many are nationally recognized & publish - many more should be....because of their knowledge, experience, and time spent on this hobby and/or business.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    All positive !! We should all thank our host -- PCGS.
    Ed
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to take the liberty of customizing the question with an answer that Collectors are better off with the forum than without it.

The fact that it is here is significant.

The reality of collecting is that one can not and should not underestimate the value of knowledge. This is a significant step in creating a dialog to exchange information to increase knowledge among mainstream collectors.

Is it perfect? No.

Why? Mainly because collecting creates more questions than what can, in certain circumstances, be answered with any degree of certainty.

But the significance is that at least CU understands the positives and the need for the dialog.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive, I've learned to drool with the best of them......image
  • Options
    I miss the old days. I never thought I'd be posting this anywhere except on a bathroom wall underneath the "kilroy was here" thing. image

• Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Overall very positive
    I have made my most favorite coin friends on this forum. I have learned more than I thought I would;often about topics or coin series that were off my radar.I have learned about the attitudes and opinions that are different from my own and thus became a more insightful person.
    I ignore the rants and most of the trivial nonsense and the blatant marketing.
    Trime
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a bit of trivia. If not for eBay, I would not have found this place. If not for this place, I wouldn't have lost 2 girlfriends. If I was with them, I would be broke and not have any coins or fun. >>

imageimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong thread ... Sorry image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joining this forum was one of the best things I have done, both professionally and personally.

- I get to see and learn about great coins I wouldn't otherwise have been exposed to
    - I get answers from extremely knowledgeable folks whenever I have a question about a particular coin
    - I have met so many smart and interesting people who I then get to meet in person at shows
    - I have a place where I can share my show adventures
    - I get to "show off" my newps to others who also appreciate pretty copper (excluding Todd of course since he wouldn't know a pretty copper coin if it bit him on his big lens!) image

I look forward to taking a peak at what's going on on this form almost every day (except when I'm traveling) so THANK YOU PCGS for making this forum available to all us coin people!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely positive!

It's like an online coin club, but with members having a breadth of knowledgeable far greater than any actual coin club.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY positive. K
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the forum. Lots of good people, info and coins!! A good source for opinions and a place to show your collection. Very positive!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Nothing but positive.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For the most part all boards have the same problems. The lack of voice inflection and visual keys to a persons intent with a comment can easily lead to misunderstood motives. Then, anger over being misunderstood leads to surly comments by board members who think this is "their" domain and forget it is a public one. Assumptions that people don't know what they are talking about or haven't been around long enough, "your boards" lead to hard feelings. A question posed by an uninformed person or uneducated one as far as another board member can see is a declaration of "haughiness" by the reader.
    The intent of this board is to inform, as well as, educate collectors and dealers of all levels. The freedom to express without attack by others should be paramount in fostering good feelings, correction yes, attack in doing so NO.
    I have an opinion on something that is bound to set off a nerve. Do I dare reveal it ? Why not fear of being attacked. So, I continue to "lurk" and see what I can learn. As time as a way of bailing us out it also has a way of proving us right.
    You know what I am going to make that topic on the subject I am afraid to broach this ought to be a doozy. Lest you hold back. >>

There are a lot of misunderstandings here and those quick to take offense or who have
    thin skin don't seem to last long. Most people are trying to be civil but the nature of a post
    is such that this doesn't always come through.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>
    4. Over time, it has become tougher for newbies to break in. >>

This is one of the biggest problems here now days. Most of us pretty much know what everyone's going
    to say and a newbie tends to get overlooked unless his opinion is outrageous. It must take a long time
    to feel at home here now days.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    This is still the best site on the entire WWW but there are some catching it. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely positive. I have been introduced to many areas of coins an medal collecting I doubt I would have run across otherwise. J. Wiener medal is a prime example for me. I have about 25 now. I think that still qualifies as a plus. But I am getting a bit out of hand on them. I love them so I don't care if I get more out of hand.
    I have also learned about quite of few varieties of coins that would have slipped by.
    Thanks to all of you have shared there knowledge and passions with the rest of us.

Richard
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive. image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Complaining became overwhelming and turned people off. image
  • Options
    Positive; learning some interesting history about the coins that I collect and "met" some very nice people.
  • Options
    4. Over time, it has become tougher for newbies to break in.]

I get the impression that most of the old timers here don't give the new members much respect. Just because we are a new member here doesn't necessarily mean we are new to coin collecting and completely clueless about the hobby.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file