Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has the PCGS US Coin Forum been a positive or negative influence on your coin collection or business

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
For me, I would say that it is positive, but not 100% so.

The positives:
1. Excellent opportunity to view other coins and learn about all aspects of the hobby, the business, and the coin industrial complex.
2. Terrific for networking with other collectors and dealers, not to mention coin business bigwigs (like David Hall and Don Willis), political heavyweights (ANA governors), publishers (DenTuck), authors, and award-winners.
3. Desirable venue for buying and selling coins. Yes, there is an occasional transaction gone awry reported, but the track record here has to be at least the equal of anywhere. The self-policing is constant, and bad apples are picked out and tossed very quickly.
4. Many lasting friendships have started on this forum.

The negatives:
1. Well, there's lots of information presented, and most of it is accurate and believable--which means that some of it is not.
2. There is a tendency for some things to get hyped and over promoted, which can be the detriment to those that pile in to the flavor of the day.
3. There are occasional negative interactions between forum member--I know that I have had my share--and these can lead to hard feelings that last even after one walks away.
4. Over time, it has become tougher for newbies to break in.

Overall, I think that it was been a net positive for me and overwhelmingly so. That said, like just about everything, there are some drawbacks and pitfalls, too.

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive, hands-down.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Positive, with no question! And free.
    Good people too image

Eric

Edit to add: "for my business" AND "for my collection"
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overwhelming positive for me for all the positives you list.

Negatives too minor to list , so far.

I like how the "old guard" welcomes Newbies and offer advice and encouragement.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    In the beginning, and for a few years, this forum was definitely positive, and much information re US coins was transmitted to a larger group of collectors
    who for the first time, could talk with others with the same interest.

But, for the last several years, it has had a 90% negative effect , at least for me. I seldom come here, but use the PM for most correspondence.

If information about US coins was the primary thrust, it might have a more positive influence.

However, Coin Facts has been brilliant, and I use that regularly.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    I suppose for the negative interactions that happen on the Forum- that stuff can happen anywhere.

Perhaps one inherent fault of the Forum is that it's an online platform. It's much easier for people to be snarky, rude, mean, negative, etc. online than in person. You can't have it all, I guess, but I'd agree with others who say that the Forum has a pretty positive effect on people.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well rounded, continuing education on the many aspects of buying and selling coins. There's more to collecting, buying and/or selling coins than just the coins themselves. The forum is The School of Hard Knocks.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All positive , no negatives .....

Some learning experiences (negatives) can be turned positive simply by leaning from them .......
  • Options

<< <i>All positive , no negatives .....

Some learning experiences (negatives) can be turned positive simply by leaning from them ....... >>

Yes, learning from them - vantage! image Vantage is great. It's also what can make a fat, grinning, drunk a man who can eat, drink and be merry image

Eric
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way more positives than negatives. My favorite is when I see things I would not normally see. The Spam and the uneducated comments bother me a bit, but I do not let that bother me too much.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very positive. Good summary, by the way.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    100% positive.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big positive in the net score over the years.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely, without question, the most positive influence on my collection, bar none.

Many thanks to all of you!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the street a certain candle is held and some do not like me. So to some degree, the boards have kind of "hurt" me in business.
    I'm a bit rough with some people and not intentionally. The truth is often more painful than a few white lies and I don't know how to tell the truth sometimes without hurting and I cannot always accept certain truths without being hurt. It's a pride/ego/love-hate/can't learn fast enough sort of thing. Knowledge is often a power that wields it's own ferocity. Ignorance often a shield that repels a barrage of insults.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    For the most part all boards have the same problems. The lack of voice inflection and visual keys to a persons intent with a comment can easily lead to misunderstood motives. Then, anger over being misunderstood leads to surly comments by board members who think this is "their" domain and forget it is a public one. Assumptions that people don't know what they are talking about or haven't been around long enough, "your boards" lead to hard feelings. A question posed by an uninformed person or uneducated one as far as another board member can see is a declaration of "haughiness" by the reader.
    The intent of this board is to inform, as well as, educate collectors and dealers of all levels. The freedom to express without attack by others should be paramount in fostering good feelings, correction yes, attack in doing so NO.
    I have an opinion on something that is bound to set off a nerve. Do I dare reveal it ? Why not fear of being attacked. So, I continue to "lurk" and see what I can learn. As time as a way of bailing us out it also has a way of proving us right.
    You know what I am going to make that topic on the subject I am afraid to broach this ought to be a doozy. Lest you hold back.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Kumbayaimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that I think about it, this thread is flawed in that the people who have been officially or unofficially removed or have left by their own accord will not be participating in the discussion.

If I posed the same question ATS, the responses would be considerably more varied. image
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very positive.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only positive. I would hate to be without it.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overwhelmingly positive, both for the knowledge I've gained and the coin deals it's facilitated.
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    Life is what you make of it. By far this Forum has been positive for me both personally and professionally.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly positive.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost totally positive.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still relatively new to the forum, but so far it has been nothing but positive.

This is my 100th post.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very positive.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very positive - I learn new information all the time.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as absolute goes : positively

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Very positive thanks to many great members.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Very positive
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive ...

... but more so in the past than now.

Too many good members have either passed away or been banned. Others have just burned out and don't post much anymore.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of positives. There are a wide variety of personalities and some are more positive than others. There's a great amount of experience and stories that are not available elsewhere (although there's a different but good group ATS and on other forums as well). But when you think about the number of rarities that currently reside with members like TDN and that have passed through the hands of people like Julian or MrEureka or NJCoinCrank or ColJessup, the opportunities abound.

As my father used to tell me, "Pay attention, you might learn something."

For me, the main negative is when people feel the need to bicker back and forth. Also, I wish Mark Feld still posted here, as well as some others.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been a positive experience for me.
  • Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POSITIVE!!! I've learned a lot, seen a lot of great looking coins, gotten ideas for coin displays and advice on numismatic related things. It's all good for me!
    Thanks PCGS Collectors Universe message boards!
    Pete
    "Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very positive.

It's hard to imagine how the hobby would be different to me without it. I've been hanging out here for a Long Time, and I've learned a lot that has influenced my collecting habits and the way I enjoy the hobby. This goes for other online fora as well. Sort of makes me wonder how coin collecting can not flourish in the future.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several yrs ago before some knowledgeable members were "let go" and more posts were about education and coins I would have said 99% positive. However I find that the quality of posts have lessened and have been largly overrun by cheerleading and kool-aid/closed minded type of thinking, thus I would have to say that the percentage while still positive is less so today.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Several yrs ago before some knowledgeable members were "let go" and more posts were about education and coins I would have said 99% positive. However I find that the quality of posts have lessened and have been largly overrun by cheerleading and kool-aid/closed minded type of thinking, thus I would have to say that the percentage while still positive is less so today. >>

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very positive!
    I've learned so much here about coins, photography and the business, it's been extremely helpful.
    My first two submissions only had one "genuine" and one body bagged, out of around 50 or 60 coins. I would have suffered much greater casualities had it not been for the education and feedback offered right here on these very boards!
    Not to mention the great base of knowledge I've drawn upon when making purchases for my collection. As a result, I have likely made fewer and hopefully, less expensive mistakes than I would have if I had never participitated in this Forum.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    GoldysCCGoldysCC Posts: 20 ✭✭
    As a long-time lurker, almost all positive, especially any Longacre and Monsterman posting, and the recent much-debated mercury dime variety thread. Some great gems here -- thanks, PCGS!
    --Goldy
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Very positive for me, though, it's been no 'bed of roses'. And, though not intentionally, have been one of those that have given bad info in the past (simply because I thought I knew more than I did...but that's due to learning most of it, and 'guessing' on the rest, and I'm not the best 'guesser'), so, I've learned 'guessing' to fill in those blanks is NOT learning, it's taking a step backwards. I try to impart the things I am comfortable imparting, but the knowledge I have picked up to impart has almost 100% come from learning from other members. I'm not always spot on, and have made my share of mistakes, but that's how we learn, whether in coins or in life. The times I've been wrong, I'm the first to offer up an apology. On that part of it, it's truly amazing the graciousness of MOST members as to how quick they are in forgiving a mistake.

The knowledge you can pick up for your (for my) collection is tremendous (and it has led to more than a few friendships). I'd have overlooked MANY varieties, many undergraded items (just to name a few things), had I NOT picked up that knowledge, and I would have also overlooked obvious (to the trained eye) negatives to coins (damage and the ways some hide it, or the effect doctoring has, just to name a few)..things that would make some nervous about moving forward. Without this knowledge that is imparted by those who have it, I think those of us who haven't been involved in the hobby for years, would be skiddish about moving forward after making those mistakes (but, there are those who have more $$ than brains, and believe that a little info makes them more knowledgeable than they really are), but thanks to the info imparted here, those mistakes, for me, are much fewer and much farther between, gives you confidence, and shows that regardless of how long you've been in the hobby, everyone learns the hard way, but you have to WANT to learn, and be able to listen, IF you truly wish to learn how to be the best collector you can be (another time when humility isn't such a bad thing, especially true for those with more $$ than time or brains).

The generosity of those giving out that knowledge is CRUCIAL to ANY collection, and I, for one, am very grateful and thankful that they freely give it out. Most important thing I learned was not to rush anything, buy the BOOK before the coin, and to listen (though, that can be difficult, sometime, but that's due to MY ignorance). It's easier to spend TIME to learn how to build the best you can, regardless of budget, than to spend $$ first, and get much less than you bargained for. If you follow the advice of those that give it freely, you won't be spending as much on 'tuition'...the more time you spend learning from these people, the less $$ you spend on coins that you'd otherwise feel confident in buying, only to realize it's 'bath time'. Some of my corners have been rough, but due to the patience and generosity of the more knowledgeable members, it has made me feel better about myself as a collector, given me more confidence, made my collection a better one, and has shown me a little humility isn't such a bad thing. Sorry for the long post, but those that have given something they worked hard to attain, and to so easily give it out, to help others out, makes this place a blessing, as well as a necessity, if you want to be an intelligent collector. I'm glad I am not old enough to have started this hobby pre-internet, or I'd have made ALOT more mistakes than I have (probably enough to have made me walk away from it), so 'thank you' to those members who freely give that knowledge, and thanks to our hosts for giving us a place for them to share it!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I can overlook the open forum threads pretty easily, and I do exactly that.

My problem is with thread titles that do not indicate topics pertaining to modern series collecting. I have absolutely no interest in threads about collecting modern series, simply wastes my time.

I spend about two hours a day now on the CU forum. I used to spend much more time on this forum. Yes, it has changed.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely positive!

ABimage
  • Options

<< <i>...so 'thank you' to those members who freely give that knowledge, and thanks to our hosts for giving us a place for them to share it! >>

All well said. I was too brief in my answer and neglected to say "thank you" - and not nearly as eloquently as you did (so, I quoted you image ). I too offer my thanks to the board and to my Trinity - the three guys on here who have knowingly or unknowingly influenced my business models and so on. The reference is nuclear - not religious - because those 3 are at ground zero.

Happy Labor day to all.
    Eric image
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely positive!

ABimage
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I can overlook the open forum threads pretty easily, and I do exactly that.

My problem is with thread titles that do not indicate topics pertaining to modern series collecting. I have absolutely no interest in threads about collecting modern series, simply wastes my time.

I spend about two hours a day now on the CU forum. I used to spend much more time on this forum. Yes, it has changed.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general, very positive. Two new half dollar Overton varieties were discovered/attributed/authenticated with the help of this forum. There have been very good discussions on most of the series of US coins, including input from some of the most knowledgeable numismatists of US coins.

Negatives - Many of the best numismatists no longer post, with less numismatic discussions. The board can be intimidating and is of little value to those who want to collect raw or lower value coins.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very positive.

<< <i>Two new half dollar Overton varieties were discovered/attributed/authenticated with the help of this forum >>

Well, there was the 1806 O-129 discovery coin which came to light after I sold it off my Holey Coin Vest, to Cladiator.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (whoops- forumfreeze- double post

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file