Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Struck Thru Wood Error ..... 2010 James Buchanan Dollar WOW !!!!!!!!

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking at listings and came upon this cool mislabeled error coin. Something about a scar on the coin. The photo was fairly bad. I could tell the error was real and at first thought in could be a struck in "metal" of some type. After winning the auction and more carefully reviewing the horrible photo, I realized it was probably a weird struck thru error that I had just probably slightly overpaid for the item, oh well. Then I looked at the delivery time and it is like 30 days and I'm like wtf. I look more closely at the listing and see that it is in the country of Greece. Really??? Oh well, i paid as I messed up.

……………

Couple weeks later, I get a little package from Greece

I open it, It is not a struck in error …………

I take out the loupe ……………

and ……

I seen the distinct pattern of WOOD …………. wow super cool, super rare …………… Could be the Only "Struck Thru Wood Mint Error" in the presidential line and possible the most modern date USA struck thru wood error …………..

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Buchanan is taking a whack to the head with a stick!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Hope his secret service did not fall asleep when this happened. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    Dunno for sure but it certainly looks like wood. Very cool image
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    That has an awesome look to it...........congrats

eddied to add: Is the "wood" raised or impressed, it sure looks raised to me ???

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kewl!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks cool, but I'd say a piece of rag most likely.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Looks cool, but I'd say a piece of rag most likely.

bobimage >>

I disagree.

I have many struck thru cloth coins, different types of cloth as well.

None of them have a Wood Grain Pattern image
  • Options
    I'm thinking one of the press operators was using a flat toothpick.......
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is cool! Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY cool error coin.... congratulations.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find! Congrats.
    Lance.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckily they got the nail out

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Wow that is cool. Is there any place in the minting process where a tiny wood piece could be picked up? A scrap from a palette of some sort?
  • Options
    my first impression was a matchstick. cool error.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>my first impression was a matchstick. cool error. >>

And then I figured it was a ......

<< <i>A scrap from a palette of some sort? >>

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!!! Is that another wood chip behind his collar (beneath the hair)?

How in the he!! did that end up in Greece???
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool!!! Is that another wood chip behind his collar (beneath the hair)?

How in the he!! did that end up in Greece??? >>

Wow, yes, good eye. I didn't even see at as I was always drawn to the main error. I will photo it now.

I have no idea but guess he collects and maybe bought a roll or bag off of ebay and found it himself.
  • Options
    Here is the very small chip of wood struck thru ....

And some more close-ups of the major error .....

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics! That is just amazing.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

<< <i>Very cool!!! Is that another wood chip behind his collar (beneath the hair)?

Struck through Greece?
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Struck through Greece? >>

imageimage
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NICE!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what wood has that fine of a grain?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not my coin and not the whole image in a gsa

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Wasn't straw/wood in the Morgan planchets fairly common?
  • Options

<< <i>Wasn't straw/wood in the Morgan planchets fairly common? >>

It happened. After they blanched and rinsed the planchets they dried them in sawdust. Sometimes bits of it stuck to the planchet. Seemed to be most common in New Orleans, perhaps because of the humidity down there.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what wood has that fine of a grain? >>

Well, the pallets are generally made using pine as it is cheaper than almost any other wood.
    The grain is semi tight and it is a soft wood.

• Options

<< <i>

It happened. After they blanched and rinsed the planchets they dried them in sawdust. Sometimes bits of it stuck to the planchet. Seemed to be most common in New Orleans, perhaps because of the humidity down there. >>

Thanks for the info. Didn't know the dried in sawdust part. image
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Struck through Greece? >>

Oh brother! image
  • Options
    I took the question marks out of the title as I am certain as to error after reviewing the close up photos.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like he's getting whacked!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that you can see it split towards the rim, so I am thinking a piece of it was trimmed off. Now the question would be what is it in the manufacturing process that it could be from? Or may an errant match stick? Very cool none-the-less.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    We've had a lot of strike-throughs posted here through out the years, this dramatic one has to be up there in the top 10.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    The pics of the strike-thru look raised above the surface. I thought that a strike-thru would be incused.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>The pics of the strike-thru look raised above the surface. I thought that a strike-thru would be incused.

HH >>

It is.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The pics of the strike-thru look raised above the surface. I thought that a strike-thru would be incused.

HH >>

It is. >>

Yes, it is incused. Think trench while looking at it, blink and it will miraculously change from raised to incused.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool error and I love the story about how you acquired it! Congrats imageimage
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    While this might have been a piece of wood, I don't think there is enough evidence to draw a definitive conclusion. The extremely fine "grain" (if that's what the texture reflects) is not particularly reminiscent of wood, in my opinion. As in most cases of coins struck through debris, the nature of the foreign matter will remain conjectural.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i didn't read the most recent posts to the thread but i'd be billing to be that a microscopic analysis would show what matter was struck-through as parts of it would still be on the surface of that area.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>While this might have been a piece of wood, I don't think there is enough evidence to draw a definitive conclusion. The extremely fine "grain" (if that's what the texture reflects) is not particularly reminiscent of wood, in my opinion. As in most cases of coins struck through debris, the nature of the foreign matter will remain conjectural. >>

Mike, I do appreciate your opinions and agree with you 98% of the time, and while you do say this "might have been a piece of wood" I disagree with you about being able to draw a definitive conclusion.

Wood grain is wood grain and the impression clearly is that of wood grain. Add to that the "shape" of the strike thru, sure looks like wood and not textile. Add to that the broken end of the wood, very clearly from wood.

Put this bad boy on a microscope and you will see what I see In my close-up photography.

No Doubt in my mind.

What a TPG may do, I have no idea, but the coin is what it is.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given Mr. Buchanan's low standing in the historian's polls of presidential greatness, some people might think this image is entirely appropriate for the "wooden headed" James Buchanan.

That is a neat error.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. And it often charred black from the pressure. I've had many hot wood surface inclusions.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't a long piece of wood struck across the field and the recessed portion of the die get distorted or torn in the process of striking it. It looks like it is completely straight. Anyone suspect a hoax?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>Wouldn't a long piece of wood struck across the field and the recessed portion of the die get distorted or torn in the process of striking it. It looks like it is completely straight. Anyone suspect a hoax? >>

No Hoax, It is absolutely a strike thru, no question. BTW the reverse is perfectly struck.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I vote it was a piece of a toothpick or a splinter of a pallet. Looks definately of wood orgin.

That's a cool error. Congrats on the find.

As far as out of the ordinary finds in strange places, a dealer friend of mine found a PATTERN Presidental Gold Dollar in a junk bag of world coins that he ordered from somewhere in Europe. Sold it and paid off all his debt. How it got there, who the heck know?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it - great find! I agree about being struck through wood. Very interesting, thanks for sharing it!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    definitely not a hoax. this is struck thru

coincidentally (??) I've found the area behing the head and above the shoulder a popular place for strike thrus, too. I've found several pres $1s with strike thrus there.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    i do notice that behind the head strike thru seems to continue up onto the ear.

also, if this were regular textile, where's the cross fibers? this would either be string fibers or a small bundle of wire. but regular textile? why would it impart one direction of fibers and not the other?

PS: which mint is this?

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, it's not struck thru wood.

The Die face has been scraped by the
    Feeder Fingers.

I've seen this effect (repeated in the same
    area) in numerous Presidential Dollars
    from 2007 on.

I agree that it's a nice rectangular shape,
    but the 'grain' is the same as the other
    Dollars I've run across - usually with other
    mechanical errors on them. I've seen
    over 100 similar marks.

There used to be wood in the Mints back
    in the day (not sure when wood disapeared)
    but there isn't any wood anywhere near the
    presses today - aside from locked, hard-wood
    boxes that the Error coins are put in!)

This is a Die Defect, imo, and not a struck thru
    wood error......just my opinion from observation.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file