Home Sports Talk
Options

Congrats Arod!

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Anyone who suggests the steroid era will be over when arod retires hasnt been paying attention. There's been cheating in baseball forever and it won't stop ever.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First off, I do need to make a correction. Stated Alex was appealing a 150-game suspension when it's actually 211-games and I apologize for the error.

<< <i>You might be right, but how would it look (and how much would it cost) if the Yankees were to lose the lawsuit?

If I remember right, every major league contract has some kind of "out" in it for behavior detrimental to the game or some such verbiage. I don't believe it's ever been tested and we have had some real a$$hats in sports, including Spreewell who tried to kill his coach!

You mention something about a second opinion from a doctor? No matter what his contract might say, most people (including myself) would view that as a chicken$hit way of getting out of the deal. Lawsuits coming out of that could last many years. I don't think the Yankees have the baseBALLS to try it. >>

The way I see it (from a non-lawyer perspective), the Yanks have nothing to lose, other than maybe having some egg on their face. Worst case scenario would be insurance covering the malpractice suit and obligated to honor the contract.

It's an unprecedented situation. MLB didn't only accuse Alex of failing a drug test, which would have resulted in a similar suspension to Braun or others, but rather numerous violations. According to reports, he was essentially the facilitator for the clinic, tried to interfere with MLB investigations, and bribe witnesses for evidence and silence. No one can definitively say the reports are accurate but putting a 211-game suspension in perspective, one can safely assume there's *a lot* more than a failed test.

I agree that Alex's selfish ego will not allow him to voluntarily retire; however, MLB and MLBPA must look after their best interests going forward. Again, this situation is unprecedented and the potential consequences will be far reaching in the future. Owners will demand additional out clauses for mega contracts, which puts the Union between a rock and a hard place. As I said earlier, IF Alex breached terms of his contract, I think they'll make Alex the so-called sacrificial lamb for the good of their overall membership. Sure, it will probably be perceived as a ticky-tacky way to get out but as Boo mentioned, an overwhelming majority of fans want to put the Roid Era behind us. While Alex's blind fanboys scream from the rafters, everyone else will just shrug and say good riddance. >>

It does seem obvious to me that there are some possibilities here for the Yankees to invalidate ARod's contract. Also looks like he has made threats of his own if they try it. If the Yankees position is not that strong they will probably take no action, especially before the decision on his suspension. There is no precedent set here, no one likes to be the first.

As much as I dislike cheaters like ARod, ownership has a pretty bad track record as well, in a lawsuit where the mud starts slinging, the Yankees and MLB could have things come out that would be bad for them.

It is my belief that this is ARods SECOND offense, admission of use is the same as being caught isn't it? I would assume the penalty will be somewhere between 100 and 211 games. 162 would work for me.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the Yankees position is not that strong they will probably take no action, especially before the decision on his suspension. There is no precedent set here, no one likes to be the first. >>

Correct but that's why I said the process would begin after the appeal. Whatever the arbitrator rules, the parties will use that as a basis for their plans going forward. If Alex only gets a 50-game slap on the wrist, the Yanks obviously won't have a leg to stand on. If it's 211 games, bet your bottom dollar they go full court press on his rear. If it's something in between, well, we'll just have to wait and see.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>It does seem obvious to me that there are some possibilities here for the Yankees to invalidate ARod's contract. Also looks like he has made threats of his own if they try it. If the Yankees position is not that strong they will probably take no action, especially before the decision on his suspension. There is no precedent set here, no one likes to be the first. >>

If they had an opportunity to invalidate it, they would have already. The fact is they don't, so they haven't.

<< <i>It is my belief that this is ARods SECOND offense, admission of use is the same as being caught isn't it? I would assume the penalty will be somewhere between 100 and 211 games. 162 would work for me. >>

First failed drug test, and admitting as using does not fall under the same rules as a positive test. MLB rules, again, call for a 50 game ban. This random, 211 game ban that Selig sought to impose was as ridiculous as it was wrong. The commissioner does not get to selectively ramp up penalties as he sees fit, depending on the player. Braun took the 65 games for his first offense because it meant he got to sit out the remainder of a lost season anyways, and put everything behind him.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It does seem obvious to me that there are some possibilities here for the Yankees to invalidate ARod's contract. Also looks like he has made threats of his own if they try it. If the Yankees position is not that strong they will probably take no action, especially before the decision on his suspension. There is no precedent set here, no one likes to be the first. >>

If they had an opportunity to invalidate it, they would have already. The fact is they don't, so they haven't.

<< <i>It is my belief that this is ARods SECOND offense, admission of use is the same as being caught isn't it? I would assume the penalty will be somewhere between 100 and 211 games. 162 would work for me. >>

First failed drug test, and admitting as using does not fall under the same rules as a positive test. MLB rules, again, call for a 50 game ban. This random, 211 game ban that Selig sought to impose was as ridiculous as it was wrong. The commissioner does not get to selectively ramp up penalties as he sees fit, depending on the player. Braun took the 65 games for his first offense because it meant he got to sit out the remainder of a lost season anyways, and put everything behind him. >>

I am pretty sure the Yankees could go ahead and invalidate the contract at any time, they are worried about ARods legal response. Time will tell, speaking of time, what's the timeline on a decision on his appeal?
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    #654! And breaking the all-time record for grand slams with 24!

7 more to go to pass Mays and a $6 million bonus! Straight cash, homie!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>#654! And breaking the all-time record for grand slams with 24!

7 more to go to pass Mays and a $6 million bonus! Straight cash, homie! >>

Uh, good for him. In other news, let's all put up a prayer for LFC against Southampton tomorrow morning at 10 am. Merci!
  • Options
    OK. I'll admit it. In this era of false records and rampant steroid use, I want ARod to get that bonus. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing him stick around and pass Bonds. Is ARod a bigger jerk than Barry? Nah. Nobody is.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

24 career grand slams is an amazing accomplishment. Yeah I know everyone wants to hate Arod, but it's still pretty impressive to break a 75 year old record held by Lou Gehrig. Do you think anyone will ever get to 25. No chance. Sure Arod is a narcissist with very questionable integrity, but he's also one of the greatest power hitters in the history of baseball.
  • Options
    There should be two Halls of Fame now. 1 for legit players. 1 for roiders. Separate roiders from the legit players in the record books, and let them have their own place in history which doesn't mess with the classy HOF.
  • Options

<< <i>There should be two Halls of Fame now. 1 for legit players. 1 for roiders. Separate roiders from the legit players in the record books, and let them have their own place in history which doesn't mess with the classy HOF. >>

Or put them all in one hall and make the plaques show they used steroids. Ignoring this time in baseball history by the hall won't make it go away.
  • Options
    Funny how a couple of guys on the internet are saying who should and should not be in the baseball hall of fame.

They already have a players committee and a baseball writers association.

I think that fate did not warrant guys on this message board the ability to say who should and should not be in the hall of fame.

So go back to your day jobs.
  • Options
    Funny how a guy on the internet is saying what should and should not be discussed about the baseball hall of fame.

They already have countless forums for just these sorts of discussions.

I think that fate did not warrant a guy on a message board the ability to say who should not be discussing the hall of fame.

So go back to your day job.
  • Options

<< <i>

They already have countless forums for just these sorts of discussions.

. >>

These discussions are fruitless, and will lead to nothing. Only those who have been placed in positions of authority will have a say. And that is not you.
  • Options
    Fruitless? What's the matter big boy you upset because Tebow still unemployed?

Back to the discussion at hand, it's silly for the hall to try to duck and hide it's head in the sand and try to ignore an entire generation of players. It's only time before clemens, bonds, and all the rest are enshrined.
  • Options
    is edmondfitgerald a girl ?
  • Options

<< <i>is edmondfitgerald a girl ? >>

Who is edmondfitgerald ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>is edmondfitgerald a girl ? >>

Who is edmondfitgerald ? >>

A boat at the bottom of Lake Superior?
  • Options

<< <i>Fruitless? What's the matter big boy you upset because Tebow still unemployed?

. >>

Unemployed ?? The guy is getting offers to make millions. How's that for unemployed ?

But you got to love the Tebow jealousy you and so many others have.
    The guy $ucks at what he does, yet he's a multi-millionaire, has a winning record as an NFL starter, is young, good looking, well built, and can basically
    get any girl he wants. He helps orphans, widows, and the poor, and yet so many want to put this kid down. Tebow jealousy is alive and kickin'.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Unemployed ?? The guy is getting offers to make millions. How's that for unemployed ?
    >>

What team is Tebow playing for? What team EMPLOYS Tebow?

What's that you say? He's not? That's the very definition of unemployed. But then when have the facts ever gotten in the way of your rambling, incoherent nonsense?

[]qBut you got to love the Tebow jealousy you and so many others have.
    The guy $ucks at what he does, yet he's a multi-millionaire, has a winning record as an NFL starter, is young, good looking, well built, and can basically
    get any girl he wants. He helps orphans, widows, and the poor, and yet so many want to put this kid down. Tebow jealousy is alive and kickin'. >>

Look, edmund, no matter how many times you try, Tebow is *not* going to ask you out, so enough with the Tebow lovin'.

Back to Arod, you want to talk about multi-millionaire? Holy cow! He's worth over $300 million and earns $30 million a year!
  • Options
    No postseason for you!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>No postseason for you! >>

Unlike the Astros, however, Arod has a world series title!

• Options
    Alex sues MLB and now I'm 99.999999% sure his MLB career is over.

Lawsuit (PDF)
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    This is fantastic ... See you in Spring Alex
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>Alex sues MLB and now I'm 99.999999% sure his MLB career is over.

Lawsuit (PDF) >>

Keep dreaming!

He's only getting started. That fraud Buddy boy is going to be sorry he started this witch hunt.
  • Options
    buntbunt Posts: 625
    shut up and go back to mom's teet
  • Options
    Anyone else take the time to read all that? MLB is looking pretty bad in a LOT of areas.

One of the things that REALLY bothers me is the leaking of information. Most of the time people involved in investigations and potential lawsuits DON'T say anything.

In looking at MLB's past behavior, they could be in for a big surprise. The players/union have been kicking their asses quite regularly.

Anyone who knows about collusion and how/why it began and how it ended up knows what a$$hats MLB can be.

I still don't like any of the PED users and think their accomplishments should not be accepted as true records and no induction to HOF.

Both sides here suck!

• Options

<< <i>Anyone else take the time to read all that? MLB is looking pretty bad in a LOT of areas.

One of the things that REALLY bothers me is the leaking of information. Most of the time people involved in investigations and potential lawsuits DON'T say anything.

In looking at MLB's past behavior, they could be in for a big surprise. The players/union have been kicking their asses quite regularly.

Anyone who knows about collusion and how/why it began and how it ended up knows what a$$hats MLB can be.

I still don't like any of the PED users and think their accomplishments should not be accepted as true records and no induction to HOF.

Both sides here suck! >>

I did, all 33 pages and it's actually an entertaining read. Long story short, Alex is pointing at everyone but himself for his own actions. Keep in mind it's 99% filled with fluff, opinions, and tin foil hat conspiracy-like accusations. The only "factual" points I saw were dates, his 211-game suspension, and referencing articles that quote anonymous sources (which don't mean squat).

MLB's response from the USA today article:

<< <i>Major League Baseball issued a statement chiding Rodriguez's camp for airing its grievances outside the provisions of the game's collective bargaining agreement, calling the suit a "clear violation of the confidentiality provisions of our drug program, and it is nothing more than a desperate attempt to circumvent the Collective Bargaining Agreement."

"While we vehemently deny the allegations in the complaint," MLB said in its statement, "none of those allegations is relevant to the real issue: whether Mr. Rodriguez violated the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program by using and possessing numerous forms of prohibited performance-enhancing substances, including testosterone and human growth hormone, over the course of multiple years and whether he violated the Basic Agreement by attempting to cover-up his violations of the Program by engaging in a course of conduct intended to obstruct and frustrate the Office of the Commissioner's investigation." >>

In my non-legal opinion, when a player maliciously violates the CBA, his contract will become non-enforceable and he'll be without a team after serving his suspension.
  • Options
    I love the folks who have their heads in the clouds in thinking that Arod won't see every dollar of his contract. There is literally zero chance he collects every dollar owed to him, and this lawsuit is going to show what a sham Bud Selig and MLB In general has become under his fraudulent watch.

Long story short? At most, Arod will serve a 50 game suspension, which is in line for other first time offenders. Even first timers who maliciously try to manipulate the facts (a la Melky Cabrera's ill-fated web site selling bogus products) still only get 50 games.

Meanwhile, the guy who's had the biggest negative impact on the game in the last 20 years will do a victory tour of sorts next year as he's ushered out at the end of 2014, while the guys who are directly responsible for the game getting back on its feet have doors shut in their face over and over.

And people continue to question why baseball is getting annihilated in the ratings?
  • Options
    First off, I don't like ARoid, but MLB ownership has been, time after time completely and stupidly arrogant in their dealings with players and the players union.

I think to say that it is 99% fluff is foolish, there may be fluff, but not 99%. I am not a lawyer and would love to hear what one has to say about this "fluf".

You say "Alex is pointing at everyone but himself for his own actions." that's what a lawsuit does, points at the other party and makes a claim of damages. It's up to the other party to point the finger back at the plaintiff.

The confidentiality part could hurt them, many people in this country don't seem to care about it (much of the steroid information has been "leaked", the Bonds testimony for one, naming the players in the original tests another), but the issue hasn't been tested in the courts. This could be looked at as a legal "slam dunk".

Secondly the accusation of using their lawsuits in order to obtain information through discovery, could hurt them in a similar way. If the courts look at this as an "end run" around proper legal procedure, this could be bad for MLB, their evidence could be thrown out.

"when a player maliciously violates the CBA, his contract will become non-enforceable and he'll be without a team after serving his suspension." in your mind and a lot of others as well, but the fact of the matter is, you don't give up your right to due process just because you have (allegedly) violated your contract. He is simply claiming that MLB is singling him out for excessive punishment and are in fact themselves breaking the CBA. Remember ARoid hasn't failed a test has he? He has admitted using, but does the CBA address that?

I hope ARoid loses, but don't be surprises if the MLB screws this up and he beats them. They aren't that smart. ARoid has been silent this whole time while MLB or their spokespeople have bashed away at him, this doesn't make them look good to an IMPARTIAL party, and if some of MLB's behavior is deemed illegal it's going to hurt them. The judicial system is not made up of baseball fans, it's made up of lawyers. Your mind is already made up theirs are not.

REMEMBER they are trying for a record setting suspension, they will have to justify not only their deviation from the norm, and how they made their decision. If it gets proven that MLB is not trying to punish ARoid, but end his career AND keep him from earning a living they will go down in flames.

Watch out MLB.
  • Options

<< <i>I love the folks who have their heads in the clouds in thinking that Arod won't see every dollar of his contract. There is literally zero chance he collects every dollar owed to him, and this lawsuit is going to show what a sham Bud Selig and MLB In general has become under his fraudulent watch.

Long story short? At most, Arod will serve a 50 game suspension, which is in line for other first time offenders. Even first timers who maliciously try to manipulate the facts (a la Melky Cabrera's ill-fated web site selling bogus products) still only get 50 games.

Meanwhile, the guy who's had the biggest negative impact on the game in the last 20 years will do a victory tour of sorts next year as he's ushered out at the end of 2014, while the guys who are directly responsible for the game getting back on its feet have doors shut in their face over and over.

And people continue to question why baseball is getting annihilated in the ratings? >>

I think everyone here knows how much I hate to agree with you, but you may be correct.

It IS laughable when MLB makes this comment "calling the suit a "clear violation of the confidentiality provisions of our drug program", confidentiality runs both ways you fools, he HAD to put that information in there, it's part of his case.

ARoid is a cheater but he is VERY smart, the MLB, not so much.
  • Options
    Let's also not forget that baseball seemingly has two sets of rules: one for its players, and one for its owners. When an owner gets a lifetime ban, wellllll, that's not exactly a lifetime ban. But a player gets one? Forget it. He's done. Just ask Pete Rose, who has more than served his penance for what he did.

Now, Arod and his lawyers are going to blast Bud and MLB in general. They are going to pull back and reveal all the sordid details of the "investigation" (ha!) that MLB conducted in the Arod case (and by investigation I mean buying the testimony of a guy who they initially sought to sue into oblivion). The more I think about this, the more and more it seems to me as if Arod won't serve a day of his suspension.
  • Options

<< <i>First off, I don't like ARoid, but MLB ownership has been, time after time completely and stupidly arrogant in their dealings with players and the players union.

I think to say that it is 99% fluff is foolish, there may be fluff, but not 99%. I am not a lawyer and would love to hear what one has to say about this "fluf". >>

That's your opinion. Read the lawsuit and tell me what is factual. Other than what I outlined above, it's nothing but accusations and innuendo.

<< <i>You say "Alex is pointing at everyone but himself for his own actions." that's what a lawsuit does, points at the other party and makes a claim of damages. It's up to the other party to point the finger back at the plaintiff. >>

Of course but it's in response to the 211-game suspension and most likely due to a failed arbitration.

<< <i>The confidentiality part could hurt them, many people in this country don't seem to care about it (much of the steroid information has been "leaked", the Bonds testimony for one, naming the players in the original tests another), but the issue hasn't been tested in the courts. This could be looked at as a legal "slam dunk".

Secondly the accusation of using their lawsuits in order to obtain information through discovery, could hurt them in a similar way. If the courts look at this as an "end run" around proper legal procedure, this could be bad for MLB, their evidence could be thrown out. >>

Again, the accusations are just that. By making them, the burden of proof is on the accuser and MLB is under no obligation to prove or disprove them.

<< <i>"when a player maliciously violates the CBA, his contract will become non-enforceable and he'll be without a team after serving his suspension." in your mind and a lot of others as well, but the fact of the matter is, you don't give up your right to due process just because you have (allegedly) violated your contract. He is simply claiming that MLB is singling him out for excessive punishment and are in fact themselves breaking the CBA. Remember ARoid hasn't failed a test has he? He has admitted using, but does the CBA address that? >>

Due process is thrown out the window because they are binded by the CBA. According to MLB, he's circumventing it and not following proper protocol. There are special exemptions that the Commish can rule on (ie Braun getting a 65-game suspension), which the Union accepted. We'll have to wait for the arbitration ruling.

<< <i>I hope ARoid loses, but don't be surprises if the MLB screws this up and he beats them. They aren't that smart. ARoid has been silent this whole time while MLB or their spokespeople have bashed away at him, this doesn't make them look good to an IMPARTIAL party, and if some of MLB's behavior is deemed illegal it's going to hurt them. The judicial system is not made up of baseball fans, it's made up of lawyers. Your mind is already made up theirs are not.

REMEMBER they are trying for a record setting suspension, they will have to justify not only their deviation from the norm, and how they made their decision. If it gets proven that MLB is not trying to punish ARoid, but end his career AND keep him from earning a living they will go down in flames.

Watch out MLB. >>

Who knows but we will soon find out.
  • Options
    Joe, let me put it this way. One doesn't drop a napalm bomb on their boss and expect going back to work. Don't get me wrong, there is a possibility that Alex wins, though very unlikely IMO. If you haven't already, I highly encourage you to read the entire lawsuit. Alex isn't just going after ticky-tacky things, it's full scale thermonuclear war and aimed directly at the MLB commissioner.

Think about doing that to your boss. Not just an argument but potentially libelous accusations. What are the chances of you returning after the p00pstorm ends?
  • Options

<< <i>Joe, let me put it this way. One doesn't drop a napalm bomb on their boss and expect going back to work. Don't get me wrong, there is a possibility that Alex wins, though very unlikely IMO. If you haven't already, I highly encourage you to read the entire lawsuit. Alex isn't just going after ticky-tacky things, it's full scale thermonuclear war and aimed directly at the MLB commissioner.

Think about doing that to your boss. Not just an argument but potentially libelous accusations. What are the chances of you returning after the p00pstorm ends? >>

I read every word of it carefully. I stated that a few posts back. Please read my posts carefully, I want MLB to win, but am afraid they will f%#k up as usual.

You are letting your emotions cloud your thinking, ARoid is a puke, but he is a puke with rights.

You are completely wrong when you say " One doesn't drop a napalm bomb on their boss and expect going back to work." that happens ALL THE TIME.

I once worked with one of the biggest POS' I have ever met. Management fired him, but failed to follow the "rules" he got his job back, not once but three separate times! The bosses got so angry with this dipsticks antics they skipped the negotiated agreement's steps on disciplinary action. Guy got his job back each time WITH back pay!

ARoid is not your regular employee either, he is a multimillionaire and most likely has excellent representation.

Once you get the courts involved, it's about the law. If MLB breached the rules in order to get rid of a "bad" employee they will LOSE.

I hope the MLB wins, but I am afraid they are too stupid, they sure have been in the past.

ARoid is a cheater, but don't underestimate him, he is very smart in many ways.
  • Options

<< <i>Joe, let me put it this way. One doesn't drop a napalm bomb on their boss and expect going back to work. Don't get me wrong, there is a possibility that Alex wins, though very unlikely IMO. If you haven't already, I highly encourage you to read the entire lawsuit. Alex isn't just going after ticky-tacky things, it's full scale thermonuclear war and aimed directly at the MLB commissioner.

Think about doing that to your boss. Not just an argument but potentially libelous accusations. What are the chances of you returning after the p00pstorm ends? >>

It would be comical for anyone to suggest this if their thinking weren't so deluded and ill-informed. Arod has over $100 million left in GUARANTEED money. Worst case scenario is he sits out next year and still collect over $70 million. He wouldn't be going to war this way if (a) he didn't think he had a solid case and (b) wasn't fully intending to come back to collect that money.

The commissioner, as I have stated NUMEROUS times, is a fraud, and his singling out Arod and the innumerable "leaks" surrounding the investigation and his case are just the latest evidence supporting this. Selig has hinged his entire legacy on trying to punish Arod, and now that is going to blow up in his face.

The most ironic part? If Selig had simply imposed a 50 game suspension (which is totally in line with a first violation), I get the feeling that Arod would have taken his lumps and moved on. But Selig, in his ever-growing need for trying to hide his own part in the PED culture that now permeates all of baseball, tried to clean the slate with one swipe.

Problem is, Arod has no end of money and the means to fight this witch hunt. I doubt Selig makes it through 2014 without having to resign.
  • Options
    Joe, I would agree with your premise if Alex received a 50 or 65-game suspension. Since it's a 211-game suspension, his multiple violations were significantly worse than the average cheater and the MLBPA, at least publicly, is not standing behind him. Submitting this lawsuit during arbitration, rather than afterward, my gut believes MLB has a solid case and Alex's team is reacting in panic mode. You may think MLB and their lawyers are stupid but due to the potential fall out and legal ramifications, I'm pretty confident they went over the CBA with a fine-tooth comb.

Again, I could be wrong and time will tell. Until then, we'll agree to disagree.

edited to add: As I said earlier in this thread, I still think they negotiate a buy-out and Alex played his last MLB game.
  • Options

<< <i>Joe, I would agree with your premise if Alex received a 50 or 65-game suspension. Since it's a 211-game suspension, his multiple violations were significantly worse than the average cheater and the MLBPA, at least publicly, is not standing behind him. Submitting this lawsuit during arbitration, rather than afterward, my gut believes MLB has a solid case and Alex's team is reacting in panic mode. You may think MLB and their lawyers are stupid but due to the potential fall out and legal ramifications, I'm pretty confident they went over the CBA with a fine-tooth comb.

Again, I could be wrong and time will tell. Until then, we'll agree to disagree.

edited to add: As I said earlier in this thread, I still think they negotiate a buy-out and Alex played his last MLB game. >>

We are not really disagreeing, I am just afraid the owners have made an emotional decision and not one based on the law.

I sure don't KNOW what will happen. His suit might get thrown out of court for all I know. Had MLB suspended him for 50 or 100 games, I think he has to accept that. The fact is MLB has deviated from the agreed upon punishments and made one up. To my way of thinking, this is going to draw the courts attention.

I hope he goes down in flames. In the past the owners and their lawyers have made some pretty bad decisions, (probably the owners fault) I am just going by that. They may have a better case here.

Edited to add; What multiple violations? Multiple accusations maybe, but again, he hasn't failed a test so he can claim he is not a worse than average cheater, I just don't know.
  • Options

<< <i>Edited to add; What multiple violations? Multiple accusations maybe, but again, he hasn't failed a test so he can claim he is not a worse than average cheater, I just don't know. >>

At a minimum: interfering with MLB investigations, bribery, and facilitating the sale of illegal drugs (allegedly). Each one is a violation and that's not even counting failed drug test(s).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Edited to add; What multiple violations? Multiple accusations maybe, but again, he hasn't failed a test so he can claim he is not a worse than average cheater, I just don't know. >>

At a minimum: interfering with MLB investigations, bribery, and facilitating the sale of illegal drugs (allegedly). Each one is a violation and that's not even counting failed drug test(s). >>

It's hilarious to see stownie so worked up over a major league ball player supposedly using PEDs, when his favorite team might be one of the worst offenders of PED use before their free fall into 100 loss oblivion. Let's go down the list:

Roger Clemens - Cy Young winner at 41? Probably the highest on this list.
    Ken Caminiti - Admitted steroid user during his MVP year of 1996, which should have been revoked.
    Jeff Bagwell - Like Arod, never failed a drug test but close friendship to Caminiti leaves his 'innocence' in doubt.
    Andy Pettitte - admitted to using while in NY before his time in Houston, but its highly likely he stopped. Throw in his close association with Clemens, and you have an even higher cause for doubt.

I'm sure there's more, but that's the list as it comes to me. What I'm trying to say it's the height of irony to sit there and rail against a PED user when your favorite team has a long history of PED use and abuse. It's downright comical the heights to which this guy will go trying to defame a guy who's only done what a majority of the league did when his own favorite team has been filled with PED users for years, simply because Arod (a) had the most talent to begin with and (b) made the most money in MLB history.

Stown, I think it's time for you to move on from the Arod bashing. We all know you despise the guy. But maybe it's time to look at your own favorite team's pock marked history before you start casting any more stones?
  • Options
    The self-inflicted Alex train wreck continues to grow. He's sued MLB (et al), the Yank's team doctor, a NYC hospital, and according to rumors, going after the Yankees organization next. We also learned he sent the MLBPA a letter voicing his butthurt they were not looking after his best interests when suggesting he should accept a suspension. Since his intent is obviously global thermonuclear war, might as well try and take everyone else down with him.

• Options
    Just wait until after he retires and he sues the Hall of Fame and every writer that did not vote for him for to get in.
  • Options
    Would anyone be surprised if the yankees did conspire with MLB to force Arod out? I mean it's not like they have a sterling reputation when it comes to handling players, and it would be in their best interest to find a way out of their commitment to a guy who they vastly overpaid.

That being said, I hope Arod nails both that fraud Bud Selig *and* the Yankees to the wall on this one, and lets the world see what a bunch of scam artist the both are.

It's going to be epic.
  • Options

<< <i>Just wait until after he retires and he sues the Hall of Fame and every writer that did not vote for him for to get in. >>

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure most Cowboy fans would rather have A-Rod at QB than Romo
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The self-inflicted Alex train wreck continues to grow. He's sued MLB (et al), the Yank's team doctor, a NYC hospital, and according to rumors, going after the Yankees organization next. We also learned he sent the MLBPA a letter voicing his butthurt they were not looking after his best interests when suggesting he should accept a suspension. Since his intent is obviously global thermonuclear war, might as well try and take everyone else down with him.

image >>

Arod is unbelievable. His ordeal may end up like the bikers in the movie The Bronx Tale, when they went into the bar unwelcome, they stayed anyway, then were not allowed to leave ;
  • Options
    Alex's lawyer, Joe Tacopina, recently had a slight outburst during arbitration..

Link

<< <i>Tacopina, a former hockey player who holds the Skidmore College record for most penalty minutes in a season, then made a derogatory statement about Ayala and “his lying wife,” Susy Ribero-Ayala, another attorney representing Bosch, angering Julio Ayala. Tacopina then “bull-rushed” Ayala, who went toe-to-toe with Tacopina, in the words of one source. >>

• Options
    Link

<< <i>Despite Mr. Rodriguez being upset with one of the arbitration panel’s rulings today, Major League Baseball remains committed to this process and to a fair resolution of the pending dispute. >>

Heh.
  • Options
    If MLB was truly committed to a 'fair resolution' they wouldn't have gone outside their own rules to try to impose an arbitrary penalty on a first time offender. The facts remain that precedence has been set in both the Braun and Melky cases, and MLB trying to impose a 200+ game suspension only makes MLB look more and more petty.

Arod and his legal team are going to have a field day with what will likely be a 50 game suspension (if he serves any at all).
  • Options
    And for #200, BAM!

Suspended for 162 games.

So long, farewell, Auf Weidersehen, goodbye. Gooooooooooodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye!