Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GRADE REVEALED: Grade this Morgan--Curious to opinions.

What NGC grade do you think this morgan is?

Don't feel like you're being too generous. image

it is NGC

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    68 DMPL.

Edit - Oh I forgot about the NGC Star, in which case I'll say 67* PL
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66/67 Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the picture I'd say MS-67.

It might be a Proof-Like, but one would have to look at it from multiple angles to make that call. The head looks frosted, but I don't know about the fields and mirrors.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I know the answer, so I won't say.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better than average.image
  • Options

<< <i>I know the answer, so I won't say.

-Paul >>

Thanks Paul, and to anyone else who knows.

I will reveal the answer shortly!
  • Options
    DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    MS 68* PL
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks very clean from the photos. 68PL?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    That one looks like an easy 68 borderline MS69 IMO.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    NGC MS 68.

Not sure about PL from photos, possibly comes with a * star.

This is a coin that I'd want to consider for a 68+ or 69, but there are just a couple too many tics in the right obverse field and the reverse fields. Wouldn't shock me to see this is a higher holder, though.

VERY nice coin.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    68* but then again those are my images and the coin has been discussed several times here. It is a fantastic coin with a ridiculously clean cheek.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    She is beautiful.
    Becky
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    68PL, I see no cartwheel so will go with the PL. Perhaps DMPL but I cannot tell from the pics. Certainly
    based on bag marks, etc, it will or should 68.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, I've seen the coin in hand and just forgot that it was a 69!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Examined that coin in hand. It's pretty, but MS69 quality? I'd like to see some PCGS MS69 Morgans, make some comparisons, and then give my opinion on the grade.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Are you the new owner - or - are you the previous owner
    who has had the coin for a few months now ?

I knew the grade, but wanted you to do the unveiling !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I know this has been discussed and rediscussed, and graders adjust the scale for older coins, but to me ... isn't a 69 supposed to have no flaws visible to the naked eye?

I hasten to add, that's one nice coin.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you the new owner - or - are you the previous owner
    who has had the coin for a few months now ?

I knew the grade, but wanted you to do the unveiling !! >>

I've seen it before; but currently it belongs to a coin shop (Quality Rare Coins).

Paul
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know this has been discussed and rediscussed, and graders adjust the scale for older coins, but to me ... isn't a 69 supposed to have no flaws visible to the naked eye?

I hasten to add, that's one nice coin. >>

No, that definition is not used by any of the Services.

peacockcoins

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Coin!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I know this has been discussed and rediscussed, and graders adjust the scale for older coins, but to me ... isn't a 69 supposed to have no flaws visible to the naked eye?

I hasten to add, that's one nice coin. >>

No, that definition is not used by any of the Services. >>

I stand corrected, but I know I've heard that somewhere.

I just referred back to PCGS' "Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection" for MS-69: "A virtually perfect coin. It usually takes an intense study of the surfaces to ascertain why the coin will not grade MS-70. Only the slightest contact marks, nearly invisible hairlines, the tiniest planchet flaws, and so on are allowable for this grade."

So, yeah, this coin should probably qualify.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has negative eye appeal, but some of that might be due to the image technique.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-68 (Before checking the Revealed Grade)
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great close-up - probably one of the best obverse Morgans I've ever seen.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>68* but then again those are my images and the coin has been discussed several times here. It is a fantastic coin with a ridiculously clean cheek. >>

I'll say. Holy crap...what a cheek on that baby. I graded it 68PL before looking at the answer. I think even PCGS would grade this 68. You just can't ignore the
    cheek which is probably 68+ imo. The fields and the eagle might be 67+. But overall, this is a no brainer 68 imo. A little surprised to see a 69 grade but it is nice.
    MS69 coins aren't perfect. So there is room to find a nicer one and grade it MS69+. I think the eye appeal on the coin is fine (B?)...wouldn't call it negative.
    Couple of hits on the eagle's legs probably keep it from 69 or a strong 68 grade. In any case, I agree with Ian that the obverse is off the charts clean...and obverses tend
    to carry Morgan dollars (ie a 69/68+ obv and a 67+ reverse is NOT a MS67+). These coins are displayed with obverse up. We've all seen Morgans with 63-65 obverses
    and MS67/68 reverses. Those are not that hard to find. On any MS70 ASE I've examined I've found flaws within 10 seconds with a 5X glass. So visible flaws on a MS69
    should be no surprise. I figure PCGS and NGC vary by 1/3 to 1/2 point at the Morgan dollar MS68 grade level.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter the number on the insert, its a killer coin I just love!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's stunning.
    Not sure about the 69, but I'd have put a star on that label, all day. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin has been posted before. Stunning cheek and look, won't cross. That sums it up in six words or less...
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin has been posted before. Stunning cheek and look, won't cross. That sums it up in six words or less... >>

That's not true. With a little dip I could see this in an ICG holder.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Nice very very nice. image And i hope you are jokeing is it this guy.I think we all know this one? For sale as well any one have $55,245.00 for it? image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleanest cheek I've seen on a Morgan, be it via image or in person.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any one wants to bid on it. Cool coin but not cheep on Fee Bay.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen the coin in hand a few times, even had it in my case at Long Beach in February trying to sell it for the current owner. Just an amazing overall coin.

Easy to say it doesn't deserve a crossover grade based on bias or just looking at the pictures, but in looking at dozens of PCGS MS68, PCGS MS68+ and PCGS MS68PL Morgans in various auctions and at coins shows over the past year or so, not a single one of those coins has come close to being as clean nor has any of those coins had the overall eye appeal of this NGC MS69 coin. The obverse clean cheek is just stunning and really carries the coin and it is so close to being PL.

I think the coin would have a shot at PCGS MS69 if sent in raw and if the graders didn't know the coin, but there's no way the coin will ever be (nor should it be) cracked from the current NGC MS69 holder... just too much financial risk in doing so. But I can certainly see this coin in an NGC MS69* holder someday.

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...but there's no way the coin will ever be (nor should it be) cracked from the current NGC MS69 holder... just too much financial risk in doing so... >>

I'd like to meet the guy who has the guts to take that gamble! I sure couldn't, unless my pockets were so deep that if it downgraded it wouldn't be a big deal image

I examined the coin when you had in in Long Beach, Mike, and I agree a "star" would suit it well. Send it in enough and it's inevitable.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image Nice very very nice. image And i hope you are jokeing is it this guy.I think we all know this one? For sale as well any one have $55,245.00 for it? image >>

No joking.....and if anyone has them big enough to crack, it's him. Remember the 'best AU 3 legged Buffalo on earth' (can't remember verbatim, but I'm close), that, even after NGC conserved it, he still cracked it out and thought he could 'make' it better? Wound up having to sell it raw. But I'm SURE he's learned his lesson by now.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a very impressive coin and appears properly graded.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image Nice very very nice. image And i hope you are jokeing is it this guy.I think we all know this one? For sale as well any one have $55,245.00 for it? image >>

Wow, it's down to $44,995 now! Check it out here! Seller states:

"This is THE coin that most Morgan Dollar Collectors and Type Collectors only Dream about owning their entire lives. Well friends, today is the day that your dreams can come true. Seize the moment now because this opportunity won't come around again for a long life time.." -Jay, Owner of Quality Rare Coins

Is it PL or NOT PL??? It's not designated PL on the label, but asking PL (DMPL?, as it doesn't go that high on our host's guide) money, perhaps??? With all the 'discounts', and nothing on the 'bay, is this a fire sale????

I'll come up with something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file