Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A buffalo nickel ebay gamble...UPDATE Grade Posted!

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been a while since I rolled the dice on ebay, but I found a couple of nickels in a lot that I thought might have potential if they went cheaply enough. I don't have them in hand yet, but I picked them up for around $50, which I thought was a pretty good deal on the type 2 nickel. Any predictions on how it will turn out? I plan on cracking them out and sending them to our host. Sellers pics, so they are the best I can do for now.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck! I think your going to need it.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Truth of the matter, sometimes you do win but most of the time its more like to result in a "character" building experience.......
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will not be happy with the results if you think they will 'cross'....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    The 13 looks more AU or a low mint state than what's on the slab. But good luck though, hope its close.
  • Options
    I wasn't hoping for a cross. Hoping for a 64/65 though on the 1913 type 2 though.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wasn't hoping for a cross. Hoping for a 64/65 though on the 1913 type 2 though. >>

Ruh roh.
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    IF the coin doesn't have problems, which frequently is the case with these slabs, you generally can expect a grade 2-3 points lower than what PCGs or NGC would assign. Miracles d happen, but you mostly get what you pay for.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Ya know, I think you did pretty well at $50.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Horrible coin. But good luck anyway.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 13 looks more AU or a low mint state than what's on the slab. But good luck though, hope its close. >>

I agree with this
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Horrible coin. But good luck anyway. >>

How so?

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider the possibility that coins may have already been cracked out and upgraded in others' holders. Best of luck in all of your coin endeavors. To whom it may concern:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Horrible coin. But good luck anyway. >>

How so?

HH >>

It just doesn't do it for me. But I wish the OP good luck on getting it in a PCGS holder.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe the 1913 will even grade MS.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't believe the 1913 will even grade MS. >>

Yea, looks more AU to me and God only knows what the '35 looks like and they may not be worth the grading fees to send in . . .
    but hey . . . for fiddy bucks . . .

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The images aren't sharp enough for me to comment about either coin.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    So? How did you do? Did it go MS as you had hoped?

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a test of your "Buy the coin, not the holder" practice. I hope you do real well, but the odds are not with you.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    not too much down side agreed the 13 is AU or so and the other one is out of focus for a reason.
    they 90% wont slab with a legitimate TPG I would of passed since neither coin is a great bargain
    for almost certain problem coins and/or several point over grades.

After grading fees and the cost of the coins and detail grade slabs as the likely result it would be best to just buy a nice PCGS or old anacs or even NGC example instead of the bargain that is perceived in this auction win
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep us posted. i never liked that grading company. i hope you do well image
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen coins in NNC holders all over the map.

I do have a 14S buff in AU55 that I acquired right after they launched the service that would make 55 in anyone's holder.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you. I do think you have a shot at a 64 on the T2. At $50, your downside certainly is limited.
  • Options
    PCGS graded it and thought it was MS63. Not quite the home run I was hoping for but at least it graded. I think it is at least a point better, but that is only my opinion. Ill try and post better photos later! Never really noticed the rotated reverse!

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good on you!.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No homerun but you didn't strike out either. image
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

Geesh, I wish all my 63's looked that good. I still think it's a 64, but at least it wasn't AU as many others thought. Congrats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file