Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The semi-elusive 1913 Type 2 buffalo nickel

gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
I recall having a tough time trying to find great examples of this issue. Some of that I'm sure is due to the Type One being so generally spectacular. This piece is PCGS MS65. Couldn't be more pleased with the grade, but the coin in hand is in some ways ordinary--luster is subdued, LIBERTY isn't sharp, detail above the hair knot isn't all that impressive. Reverse is better, but definition in the split tail isn't much. Interested in thoughts from buffalo nickel aficionados on the '13 T2.
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    In my experience, there are attractive, well struck examples out there. Most are average though. I lucked up on a nice raw one with some really cool toning. It slabbed PCGS 65:

• Options
    Buffnut, that's a great piece! Going by images it's stronger than mine. The LIBERTY of your piece really crackles for the issue.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is 1913 Type II Buffalo in Matte Proof - 66. Given that this is a Proof it should be as sharp these coins get.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are all nice Buffs...but that proof is awesome Bill.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All 1913, 1914, and 1915 coins will show varying amounts of weakness in LIBERTY as it wasn't as strong as it should have been in the master die itself. This was corrected in 1916 so all coins from 1916 thru the end of the series will show a much stronger LIBERTY than the earliest dated issues.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a nice piece I just purchased. The luster is over the top and has a quite bold strike. NOT easy to find this nice!!

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece Guy. The strike isn't spectacular, but the surfaces are very clean.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one I owed. OK strike, nice color...AU though.

jom
  • Options

<< <i>Nice piece Guy. The strike isn't spectacular, but the surfaces are very clean. >>

I value your thoughts highly, always.
    Though I still think the 1927-D I acquired from you could, on a good day, fetch MS65. Five years in a holder has, perversely, done it a world of good.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice examples everyone. Mine is DGS graded 62 and while is it nice for the grade and is a good fit for my collection, it pales is comparison to the 65s and up posted here (and that AU piece is out of this world)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file